Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 23:12   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_18HP View Post
This is a nice car and quite a good condition. I am rookie in this hobby of restoration, what would be a appropriate price for cars in similar condition for a Morris 8?

Good luck with the restoration.

Price of a car depends a lot on the condition, history and a lot of other factors. By morris 8 i presume u are referring to the cut door tourer. Expect to pay upwards 75-85k for a respectable one which can run. The saloon version would cost a little less.
Old 18th March 2008, 03:09   #1067
BHPian

thats a car for gods sake , not a polythene bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hi ,

The photographs attached could have gone to the Standard thread or to the Rest in Peace as the owners still want to retain the cars even though they do not have the resources to even remove the garbage from the vehicles.

in reference to the standard
if that car was anywhere near my place i swear i myself would have unearthed it and put a coat of primer on it till i could convince the owner to sell it to me....its even got an engine...damn....
where is it placed by the way vintage man???
Old 18th March 2008, 12:54   #1068
Senior - BHPian

A 1953 single owner chevy. It was bought here for patchwork and has been left here ever since. If u notice, the areas with more rust are the ones which have been worked upon by the garage guys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008436.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008437.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008438.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008439.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008441.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008442.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022008443.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 14:56   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

What a shame. The car looks to have arrived there in rather nice shape. How long has it been standing like that? I assume the stripped fittings would still be with the garage? It looks very restorable to me, and Im anyways partial to that colour scheme on any 50s Chevy.
Old 18th March 2008, 18:29   #1070
BHPian

Looks like the car is "over the hill". Raped pretty much. Lots of work needed to get it going. What a pity
Old 18th March 2008, 22:23   #1071
Senior - BHPian

@karl, the car was driven down to the shop! Its been there for almost a decade! When the car was brought there, the entrance was a wide road with vacant plots everywhere. Now the place has chanced so much, and property has developed so much around it that, it is now stuck in a house in a narrow gully,in which an 800 would just about fit in!
All the parts of the car, ie the chrome bits, seats etc are all inside with the workshop guy. Owner won't sell it it seems, trying to contact him somehow.

@Ananth sir, i think the main problem here is not the expense for restoration, but the horrible tax dues the car will have, in kerala we don't have the life tax system, so its gonna come upto a huge amount, minimum around 15yrs tax would be pending!
Old 19th March 2008, 15:56   #1072
BHPian

Which car are you talking about the Chevy or the Chrysler Windsor?
Old 19th March 2008, 16:15   #1073
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I think vintagemans last wonderful photos including the semi submerged Standard (or whatever it is) should warrant a new thread of photos of sad cars beyond economical or practical salvage. I think this would also be a contribution (I think its a Willys? It was in Jaipur in 1986), both conjure great feelings of the ravages of time and climate.
The way it is on 3 wheels and resting on bricks to protect it from annual flooding? is superbly ironical
Attachment 1365
This is the best i've seen in years.

Would not mind picking it up and restoring this soul
Old 20th March 2008, 02:41   #1074

I dont know if this has already been put up or not.
this car is in the Film Institute of Pune.

I would also like to add that i have spotted one disintegrating car near TAJ mumbai. Was running late for a meeting in the taj so didnt have time to go in the building and take pics. It is BMC registered and appears to be a Fiat (i think). Did not see it from up close.
Here is the location. There is an Escada showroom on the road leading to radio club. this car is lying in the building next to Escada/Tarun Tahiliani (is that how it is spelt???) towards the taj. I have alsoo spotted a few classics on the Dockyard road. But those are secret until i tell a fellow BHPian full details about them. If anyone lives near Colaba, Please get pics of that car.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-100_2138.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-100_2139.jpg  

Old 20th March 2008, 09:18   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Which car are you talking about the Chevy or the Chrysler Windsor?
I'm talking about the '53 chevy.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:14   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
I dont know if this has already been put up or not.
this car is in the Film Institute of Pune.
Its quite possible that the car has been placed there for film shoots. I shudder to think how it could have reached there otherwise.

I believe the FTII also has an old Mercedes bus slowly rotting away, which was gifted to them by the UN or some such organisation.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:23   #1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its quite possible that the car has been placed there for film shoots. I shudder to think how it could have reached there otherwise.

I believe the FTII also has an old Mercedes bus slowly rotting away, which was gifted to them by the UN or some such organisation.
Nope that i didnt see. I went scouring through the whiole campus finding cars and i even asked our FTII guide if there were any old cars lying around (at this, all my classmates all laughed) and even he said that there is only that Ambi in the water. thats all. wish there were some more.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:43   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

This Peugeot wagon was imported by my uncle in the 80s, and he used it like a workhorse, with Mahabaleshwar trips every couple of weeks. Finally he donated it to the Petit Technical school in Pune some years back for the students to apprentice on, but the vehicle was just locked up and forgotten about from what I could see. I havent seen it in a couple of years, I hope its being put to use now
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-peugeot01.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-peugeot02.jpg  

Old 20th March 2008, 14:41   #1079
DKG
Senior - BHPian

ICRISAT in Hyderabad had scores of these for their staff and I remember them to be robust, great workhorses. I especially liked the previous version, the fintailed one, like the Morris Oxfords, I think it was the 404?. The engine had such a lovely note while accelerating.
Old 20th March 2008, 20:55   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
ICRISAT in Hyderabad had scores of these for their staff and I remember them to be robust, great workhorses. I especially liked the previous version, the fintailed one, like the Morris Oxfords, I think it was the 404?. The engine had such a lovely note while accelerating.
Yes that was the 404, very successful esp. in African countries. When I was passing through Tunisia as "recent" as 1997 once, I saw hardly any cars other than these there! Pity we didnt have them here! The camionette(? pick-up truck version) was said to have been made in Africa until the late 80s!

Most Viewed