Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:43   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoyster View Post
Could any one help identify these 2 cars!
the blue ones a Ford Anglia, (think harry potter), and the one still in primer is a Hudson Terraplane. I took these pics a year back when i found it, covered in 2 stories of junk. It was completely invisible till they removed part of it so i could take a look.

Old 2nd July 2007, 10:16   #197
Senior - BHPian

Wow a Terraplane, thats a rare find Karl. Dont tell me its not being restored. Thats good work my friend. They should have a film after you called "Karl Singh Bothe Fiatwale-The Car Detective"
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:41   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wow a Terraplane, thats a rare find Karl. Dont tell me its not being restored. Thats good work my friend. They should have a film after you called "Karl Singh Bothe Fiatwale-The Car Detective"
You bet!
And rest assured it IS being restored....btw, isnt it amazing how this car is still bodily solid; doesnt have its panels devoured by rust after so many ages of lying out there open to the elements?! Imagine the condition of say, an 'old' Maruti 800 in its place, found some 30-40 years later (when it would've presumably reached 'classic' status!)

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd July 2007 at 10:43.
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:44   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Make no mistake, the car has had its fair share of rust...that can be treated. What shocked me is that she started up with minimal prepping work! They sure dont make em like they used to...
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:50   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Make no mistake, the car has had its fair share of rust...that can be treated. What shocked me is that she started up with minimal prepping work! They sure dont make em like they used to...
'course it would have a substantial amount of rust.....but atleast (looking at the pics.!) you dont find the bodywork looking like swiss cheese, unlike in the case of a newer car in a similar condition! That's what I meant!

One thing though- how would he manage to get the spares for it now? I'm about to begin on my Herald...
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:03   #201
Team-BHP Support

And not everyone can dare to pick up a car like that Hudson and think of putting it on road. The guy who has picked up the Hudson has done some great projects in the past.
Old 4th July 2007, 10:25   #202
Team-BHP Support

Shot at a Ford dealer. The one to your right is a Ford Prefect. Dont know which is the other one:

Old 4th July 2007, 10:32   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Shot at a Ford dealer. The one to your right is a Ford Prefect. Dont know which is the other one:

Thats an Austin A 40, around 1949/50. Both cars look really bad, dunno if it makes sense saving them. The amount of money going into it would be astronomical for an Austin and Prefect...I think the 2 door was called the Dorset, and the 4 door a Devon. A two door is quite unique actually. Infact the A 40 had a unique braking system: Hydraulic front brakes, and mechanical rear brakes...so in effect brakes could never fail. The A40s engine also went on to create the legendary B series engine methinks...

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th July 2007 at 10:36.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:07   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Both cars look really bad, dunno if it makes sense saving them. The amount of money going into it would be astronomical for an Austin and Prefect...
I feel the same. The Austin had a knock before it reached there I suppose (See the roof line and the driver side door). The door has come off and the interiors are filled with muck and not at all in a good shape. Engines are present in both the cars but there is tremendous amount of work to be put it. The badges were still shining bright on the Ford.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:20   #205
Senior - BHPian

Wow Moralfibre, the Austin Dorset is certainly rare. There were only around 15,000 made and the production was stopped in 1949 as there were no takers for the two door version. If available at a throw away price and if all stuff viz meters, cosmetics etc are there, this should be a good restoration project.. Say what?? [Control!-Control! (my inner voice)]
Old 4th July 2007, 15:29   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wow Moralfibre, the Austin Dorset is certainly rare. There were only around 15,000 made and the production was stopped in 1949 as there were no takers for the two door version. If available at a throw away price and if all stuff viz meters, cosmetics etc are there, this should be a good restoration project.. Say what?? [Control!-Control! (my inner voice)]
Gogi, I am sure these cars would command junk value to pick up. The meters were there and the upholstery is non existent. Also I forgot to mention that the car had some cut out on the roof which looked like a Sun roof option. It is going to be one heck of a restoration and I am sure you can pull it off. Let me check with the guys if the cars are for sale. I just had a glance at the meters and the dial was there but the glass was broken and the needle was missing so we can consider it to be non-existent. I fairly remember it had a white background with MPH calibrations.
Old 4th July 2007, 15:43   #207
BHPian

here is the car i saw about a month back but forgot about it for some reason have no idea what car is it.

Old 4th July 2007, 17:09   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

oh boy...what have we here? Lets see now...Its a factory cabrio, not a chop top. Looks american, but is RHD. Flared fenders and boot mounted spare wheel...late 30s? Those wheels spell Ford V8,....wat say?

I can see similar windscreen, doors, wheels...what do you see?

compare here.

1936 Ford Phaeton

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th July 2007 at 17:18.
Old 4th July 2007, 17:21   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can see the stalk to operate the wiper manually to be common. Its there in the second pic put up by Pawan. See the frame for mounting the windscreen.
Old 4th July 2007, 17:24   #210
BHPian

Quote:
oh boy...what have we here? Lets see now...Its a factory cabrio, not a chop top. Looks american, but is RHD. Flared fenders and boot mounted spare wheel...late 30s? Those wheels spell Ford V8,....wat say?

compare here.

1936 Ford Phaeton
i dont think so see the back

btw is this car rare and how much is it worth in present state.

Most Viewed