Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 03:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

ishan awini has added pictures in his gallery of the cars. i think your photo shoot is great with all three beauties.awini was mentioning about the lagonda not being moved for the past three years if i remember right. the car is sure asking for a paintjob but i guess with work in progress that is the last thing that falls into place. hope to see her on the road again. you should take up photography for sure.

Last edited by speedy : 29th October 2007 at 03:39.
Old 29th October 2007, 03:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Interiors:

Note adjustable ride feature!

Note how despite the engine being a large capacity V12 it still has a redline of 5500 rpm & produced a minimum of 180 bhp in this guise.

Exhaust Bypass switch to toggle the Exhaust butterfly when the driver wanted the car to be more vocal!

For more detail & history about the car, read this excellent article here:
Cromo Classico - Lagonda V12

Last edited by iraghava : 29th October 2007 at 03:49.
Old 29th October 2007, 04:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Adhish - These pics are for you! Enjoy!!

Old Gas Station Price Boards

Cart & Rickshaw Tyres!!

Note the historical importance of this signage

Karl - This one's for you!
iraghava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2007, 04:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

excellent detailed pictures of the interior dash ishan. the seats though in bad shape but yet original and the combination is also very classy. 5500 rpm and 180bhp for this beast is very impressive. was the exhaust butterfly an option that came with the car or was it mandatory to have one??
wow finally get to see all the signages across the garage.great job awini, all the trips to the shops have paid off.the garage looks great and inspirational . the gear knob of the studebaker is also funky and great.

Last edited by speedy : 29th October 2007 at 04:07.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2007, 07:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ishan !!!

Those signs are THE coolest things EVER.

You just made my day with those pictures, Im inspired so start my own collection now.
Old 29th October 2007, 09:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic, just fantastic! Im absolutely smitten by the Lagonda. I simply adore the patina its developed.

Awini, I think I need to make a trip to Delhi soon.
Old 29th October 2007, 11:19   #22
BHPian

nice find the Lagonda ....impressive !!
Old 19th November 2007, 19:16   #23
BHPian

Hi Iraghava,

This is a Beauty!! Wonder why your friend is not getting this painted again and restoring her??? The rust can be noticed on the rear under the hood, but 'am sure it is curable/ restorable.....Would love to see this car Whiz pass me on the Delhi Roads!!! Cheers!
Old 20th November 2007, 01:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeet_s View Post
Hi Iraghava,

This is a Beauty!! Wonder why your friend is not getting this painted again and restoring her??? The rust can be noticed on the rear under the hood, but 'am sure it is curable/ restorable.....Would love to see this car Whiz pass me on the Delhi Roads!!! Cheers!
there is no rust on the body, there cant be, its all aluminium. and the chassis and mechanicals are sprayed a couple of times a year with whatever is at hand, WD40, old engine oil or diesel, so its pretty well mothballed, as for restoring it, i simply dont have the time at the moment. its not something i can trust mechanics with, once i start on the lagonda, i cant stop midway, it has to be done in one go. and i may not paint it ever, this car was last painted in the early fifties, so this paint is older than much later cars which are now considered classics
Old 26th November 2007, 13:51   #25
BHPian

Hey Buddy! Whatever you may say....but THIS ONE IS REALLY AWSOME!!!! Simply Fantastic....really can't find words to say what I would want to...but yes, definatley envy you!!!! (just kidding!) take care....
Old 26th November 2007, 20:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

AAARGG!!! How did I not see this thread before?? LOVING the Lagonda Rapide....... its got a great patina and looks pretty much complete.....

Also loved all the old signboards and hubcaps.......it just sets the mood perfectly!
Old 18th June 2009, 11:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ok guys did a small photo shoot for you guys of the other cars. First, here's the Karmann Ghia:

The car's been in the family from day one & is a daily driver, when the weather is permissible since using a Non-A/C car in Delhi during the summers is a really hard thing to do nowadays.
What year is this Ghia?
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 11:20   #28
BHPian

Re: Vintage/Classic Car Collection in Delhi - Added pics of Karmann & Lagonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
What year is this Ghia?
I'll have a go at answering that.

This kind of tail lamp was used on the 1960 - 69 Ghias.
The meter setup (2 large, 1 small) was used only upto 1967.

But the dead give away would be the horizontal trim on the dashboard.
This is a rare one year only part that was used only on 1966 Ghias. Pls see the pics from the 1966 Ghia Owner's manual.

Vintage/Classic Car Collection in Delhi - Added pics of Karmann & Lagonda-ghia1.jpg
Vintage/Classic Car Collection in Delhi - Added pics of Karmann & Lagonda-ghia2.jpg

So this would be a 1966 model year Ghia i.e made between Aug 1965 and July 1966.

Furthermore, the hubcaps are not the early dome shaped hubcaps. They look like the type that was used only on 1966 and 1967 vehicles.
Subject to correction, I think this style of hubcap was introduced late in the 66 model year; probably around Jan 1966.

So narrowing it down, I'd say the birthdate of this Ghia would lie between Jan and July 1966.
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:27   #29

Hi iraghava, Thanks for the Karmann pics. I have one of these that needs some restoration work. Can you help me with sourcing spares etc. my name is Navin 9880008080.
email navinpatil64@hotmail.com. Would be great if we could talk or write to each other.
Cheers,
Navin
Old 10th January 2016, 03:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
yup, this beaut was recently featured in the magazine...

a truly splendid restoration, one possible only when the car is looked after by one family from new...hats off to them!

cant wait to see more...!
This is so outstanding it is astonishing to find such a rare treasure. Again, and as usual, the Nation of India has the finest car "nuts" in the world.

Most Viewed