Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2006, 16:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Museum in Pune

Pune boasts some lovely collections of cars, both vintage and otherwise, heres a sample of one of the very few vintage car museums in the country...

the cars are housed in the basement of ramesh thakkers office building, in whats commonly reffered to as the "metro museum"...

this is his rare 1937 adler trumph junior...adler is the german word for eagle, which explains their logo...

this is his 50s desoto

1970 VW Karmann Ghia...being a cabrio, this is quite a rarity...

1964 lincoln continental, especially imported to india for the pope during his visit...it was gifted to mother teresa, who then raffled the car, passing through many illustrious owners, finally landing in the thakker stables decades ago...the car still sports stock interiors...

50s jag mk7

Old 1st September 2006, 16:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

this 65 MGB was sent to england for restoration, and sports optional removable hard top...though the original soft top is in remarkable good shape...this MG is among thakkers favorites...

this 47 oldsmobile has had only one previous owner...

one of the rarest in the collection is this monstrous 36 Pierce arrow...made in the last couple of years of peirce arrow production, very few survive...the engine has a brand new head, amongst other bits imported down from the states for the resto, which was ground up....the car is now drivable, needing only paint...

this riley was once owned by ashok kumar...

this 1925 rolls 20/25hp bears the distinctive ventilation ducts up front, characterisitc of indian rolls....

this jag XK120 is a mindboggling restoration...the car is absolutely 100% as it was from the showroom...everything required for the resto was brought down from the UK...i belive the car is not in the collection anymore though...

Old 1st September 2006, 16:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

undobtedly, the jewel in the crown has to be this 1925 Rolls Royce 20hp, ex Maharaja of banswada...when Mr Thakker saw the car with the royal family, it was laid up on bricks for decades...he just spun one of the wheels, and it kept spinning for 5-6 minutes! only a rolls has that kind of quality...

the car had covered a genuine 429 miles when purchased, creating a record of sorts...to date she has only covered 600 odd miles...

as with most large collections, cars keep rotating, meaning some of the above might have been sold, some have been added...amongst others i can recall is a lovely dodge charger, a beautiful 56 alfa romeo guilietta sprint, a single owner 57 fiat 1100, a packard 7 seater limo, the list goes on...
Old 1st September 2006, 20:34   #4
BHPian

i remember seeing a red porsche 911 which was brought down from dunno where... the car had met with an accident during some race, dont remember which, I was around 6yrs old that time, Metro house had just been built, Mr.Thakkar was very eager to restore that beauty.. dont know what happend to the car.. any leads on this karl?
I had the pleasure of sitting in the Lincoln continental and the rolls...

Shrivz..
Old 1st September 2006, 20:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

the porsche used to belong to mallya i think he was the one who crashed it racing...im told its sold to delhi in the same condition...was hit front end, so engine was running fine though
Old 1st September 2006, 20:46   #6
BHPian

yeah, i remember, the car had some serious damage in the front.. I'm surprised to hear that the engine was running fine! That was some serious damage to the car, if i remember correctly, the front right shock was gone too..
Old 1st September 2006, 20:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
yeah, i remember, the car had some serious damage in the front.. I'm surprised to hear that the engine was running fine! That was some serious damage to the car, if i remember correctly, the front right shock was gone too..
well, atleast they told me that engine was untouched and started as well when they bought it...
Old 1st September 2006, 20:56   #8
BHPian

i doubt.. anyways.. i can still picture that car... what a beauty

she was something like this.. the color was similar to the swift red

Old 1st September 2006, 20:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

twas an earlier model....strangely i remember it had remains of metallic blue paint on it, not red...front half of car was in red ox...oh well, i may be wrong...

BTW, im told an early 911 and early 70s ferrari was stored in a kp bungalow for decades, and recently got sold...
Old 1st September 2006, 21:18   #10
BHPian

i'm sure that car was red all the way.. anyways.. that car was beautiful...

A ferrari and 911 in a bunglow in KP!!! whose bunglow?
Old 6th July 2007, 14:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Wonder how I missed this thread! Brilliant collection I must say and thanks to Karl for taking us around!
Old 6th July 2007, 14:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Wonder how I missed this thread! Brilliant collection I must say and thanks to Karl for taking us around!
my pleasure...Why dont you and V 16 put up your pics here as well
Old 6th July 2007, 14:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
my pleasure...Why dont you and V 16 put up your pics here as well
He is doing it shortly! I have the interface cable at home and will post pics once I get there.
Old 6th July 2007, 15:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great thread "O Distinguished One"
How in the Blazes did i miss this thread. Thanks for taking us around. I'll be posting the pics shortly.

Last edited by V-16 : 6th July 2007 at 15:16. Reason: correction
Old 6th July 2007, 15:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you. You may now kiss my ring.

Most Viewed