Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 18:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A visit to the Gedee Car Museum, Coimbatore

Thanks for sharing wonderful snaps of these beauties. Feeling ashamed to state that I was not even aware of the existence of this place in our neighborhood. Planning to visit this place soon with my 13 year old son who is a hardcore auto enthusiast
Old 20th December 2016, 19:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Austin Sheerness -
May I point out - it would be SHEERLINE actually.

Quote:
Note the "original" patina on these cars. Hope they get restored. I also missed out on the Hansa parked next them
Well, to each their own but I for one would think it criminal to 'restore' a car - or any vehicle - that is still in its ORIGINAL patina! As long tis still presentable that is. You can never get it back once lost! In fact, in the west, you find many examples of vehicles still preserved in such patina or 'unrestored' state!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 21:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Geedee - is it the same Geedee as in Geedee Weiler, the machine tool manufacturer?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th December 2016, 21:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Geedee - is it the same Geedee as in Geedee Weiler, the machine tool manufacturer?

Regards
Sutripta
No it's named after this gentleman - G D Naidu.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 21:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well, Geedee Weiler makes beautifully crafted (for want of a better word word) but eyewateringly expensive all mechanical lathes. In Coimbatore. Instinct tells me there should be a connection.

If I meet one of their people, I'll ask them.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st December 2016, 03:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Well, Geedee Weiler makes beautifully crafted (for want of a better word word) but eyewateringly expensive all mechanical lathes. In Coimbatore. Instinct tells me there should be a connection.

If I meet one of their people, I'll ask them.

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
No it's named after this gentleman - G D Naidu.

You are both correct. Gedee Weiler should be part of the UMS Group Coimbatore - founded by Mr. G.D.Naidu

UMS likely stands for "United Motor Service " that he established in ca the 1930's.

Last edited by travancore : 21st December 2016 at 03:58.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 09:52   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
May I point out - it would be SHEERLINE actually.

Well, to each their own but I for one would think it criminal to 'restore' a car - or any vehicle - that is still in its ORIGINAL patina! As long tis still presentable that is. You can never get it back once lost! In fact, in the west, you find many examples of vehicles still preserved in such patina or 'unrestored' state!
You may!! I will make the correction

As for patina - there are so many schools of thought. MY fear is rust eating up the car
Old 21st December 2016, 09:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember correctly the car used to be black in the 90s, so the patina is fairly recent
Old 21st December 2016, 11:07   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A....., a trip to this museum was on my mind......
Thanks for sharing ajmat. All of us in the South should make it a point to visit this place. Hope to do it in 2017!

Quote:
This is not a easy decision. Find such preservation cars in India is a rarity. Our weather & storage conditions do take its toll. Very few cars like the Hyderabad Chevy, the Ooty Chevy convertible are cars which should be definitely preserved.

My own Daimler is a case in point. Should I restore or preserve is a big debate. I may preserve at this point, but I could change my mind after a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember correctly the car used to be black in the 90s, so the patina is fairly recent
You have a whale of a memory

Ram had posted in 2009, Rally pictures taken in the 90's
A visit to the Gedee Car Museum, Coimbatore-hanomag-1937.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 15:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As for patina - there are so many schools of thought. MY fear is rust eating up the car
Hence my having stated in my comment above " As long tis still presentable that is."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This is not a easy decision. Find such preservation cars in India is a rarity. Our weather & storage conditions do take its toll. Very few cars like the Hyderabad Chevy, the Ooty Chevy convertible are cars which should be definitely preserved.
Yes, finding cars preserved in such a condition is a rarity, and is more so a matter of chance. But if/when they are found, it would be worth preserving them thus, again, to repeat my earlier statement- as long tis still presentable that is. They can have just a bit of sprucing and mechanical sorting out, and 'hidden' areas that are prone to rust can still be rust-proofed etc. without having to strip down the entire vehicle to be repainted.
And pardon my ignorance- which is this Hyderabad chevy you mention? I've known quite a few.
Which reminds me- you may know of the ex-Nizam early 50s Dodge Kingsway with a well-known collector in Hyderabad, still in its original two-tone paint and upholstery.
Old 21st December 2016, 16:59   #26
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And pardon my ignorance- which is this Hyderabad chevy you mention? I've known quite a few. .
You are pardoned Stanher

My examples for Preservation Class quoted by me are as below

The Hyderabad Chevy, which has now moved on
A visit to the Gedee Car Museum, Coimbatore-img_8674.jpg

The Ooty Chevy
A visit to the Gedee Car Museum, Coimbatore-p6010592.jpg

Quote:
Which reminds me- you may know of the ex-Nizam early 50s Dodge Kingsway with a well-known collector in Hyderabad, still in its original two-tone paint and upholstery.
I have spend a lot of time with this particular Ex- King Koti car during an event at Falknama.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 19:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful. Shame that, me living in Ooty, always wanted to visit this museum, but just didn't get the time. I've always loved vintage car collection. Even though it's hard to maintain a block of metal for a long time, for a fact to know these vintages at least have a respectable place to stay, is heartening for most. Thank you for this.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 21st December 2016 at 19:30.
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:39   #28
BHPian

What a beaut of a museum! I never knew this even existed. Some awesome classic models. If I ever plan a trip down south, I'm definitely stopping over.
Old 24th December 2016, 19:12   #29
BANNED

Messerschmidt had a far better car called the TG 500. It was a 4 wheeled car based on the 3 wheel one you see in the museum.

It had tandem seating (you sit behind the driver like a bike), a bubble top and a formula 3 (if I'm not mistaken) chassis.

So it had tremendous balance, stability and control.
This is, even though it was just a 500 cc (probably 2 stroke) engine.

Top speed was a breezy 120 km/h.

At one point in my career I had discussed making these in India with a Simpson single cylinder 600 cc diesel.
Then I got distracted with other things. That engine is somewhat like the APE Piaggio "luggage" autos you see now a days.
Attached Thumbnails
A visit to the Gedee Car Museum, Coimbatore-img_1891.jpg  

Last edited by hangover : 24th December 2016 at 19:18.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 15:38   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the report. I visited this place today after reading it here and was really a good experience.
Quote:
Key unique cars as deemed by the Museum

Once you enter, you are greeted by what they call the 5 most unique cars ever built

I missed out the Model T Ford
Ford model T displayed in the Museum which was captured using mobile phone camera.
A visit to the Gedee Car Museum, Coimbatore-img_20161225_125202.jpg

Thanks,
Ravi
ravimathi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed