Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 20:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad

And Kasli has just shared this picture of the Hukumchand Daimler back in the day. That's his father peeking in, and then himself in the new shot

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-kasli.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 21:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is from Mysore and has ben in long term ownership. Recently restored by Christopher Roderigues and bodywork completed by Manavendra
The owner is a very nice gentleman who I had the privilege of meeting at the show. He was guided through the restoration by KPS who also did a wonderful job in helping out through the process. Mention must be made of Christopher Rodricks who had in my count 7 cars displayed at Cartier on which he had worked. Fantastic person with an incredible depth of knowledge. In addition to the cars and bikes, the visit to the Cartier show is worth it just to meet people with such passion, commitment and knowledge. Also put faces to many names seen on the various Team BHP Forums.

Last edited by vanam : 8th February 2017 at 21:36.
vanam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 23:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
1965 Standard Herald
My favourite, this car was one of around 6 Heralds owned by the royal family of Dharampur, and they all had just a few hundred kms till they were sold in the 90s. My complements to the present owner for leaving the car completely untouched.
Great pics.!
My favourite as well! Twas incidentally, the very first Herald I ever sat in/rode in- this was back in 1998 when she'd just arrived in Hyderabad from Bangalore and was with a local dealer (who shortly sold it to the present owner) Seen it in later years on a couple of occasions though.
And I think we can safely say these cars had done a few THOUSAND kms when bought from the first owner!
This one, in particular, had done around 5000km when I'd first seen it in 1998. It doesn't seem to have run much even since.
Anyways, this car, as far as I'm concerned, was the highlight of this year's event- since no-one would've ever imagined a Herald, what some refer to as a "4-cyl. 60s economy banger", to be considered for a Cartier's event! Well, needless to say they've been proved wrong!
Notwithstanding which, this car proved two things- a) that a car- Herald in particular- need NOT be painted only red or yellow or even white to look attractive, and b) it does NOT have to be a convertible- or converted to look like one! Also hope she stays this way!

Last edited by Stanher : 8th February 2017 at 23:50.
Stanher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 06:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing coverage and superb histories, Karl. Thanks.

Interesting that at least one of the recent import Cadillacs is RHD. Wonder if it came from the U.K.

The Travancore R-R was in Chennai with a regular / chopped tourer body; and a Dodge engine, I am told. Did you get a peek under the bonnet ?

I doubt that Travancore cars had a "TRAVANCORE" Plate (at least when used within the State boundaries). Usually it was just a Silver Conch emblem on Red .

Last edited by travancore : 9th February 2017 at 06:37.
travancore is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In conclusion, some sights and sounds.

It was heartening to see a strong FIVA presence at the event, and UNESCO recognition.
Karl, thanks a lot for bringing these lovely pictures and the comprehensive photolouge of all participants (the two wheeled & 4 wheeled verity )

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

I doubt that Travancore cars had a "TRAVANCORE" Plate (at least when used within the State boundaries). Usually it was just a Silver Conch emblem on Red .
Spot on Prem. WE know, that would've been the case definitely.

But anyway the I don't think that authenticity and/or validity of documentation of the vehicle is a requirement of this show (correct me and pardon me if I am wrong)

Case point being the "Best in Show Two Wheeler" having the PAT 1 Registration plate. I hope I am wrong on this count though - for such a caringly restored/maintained "Chief"

You may recall that PAT 1 was on a Ferrari that was on an Advert for one suiting manufacture (Gwalior I Think) featuring Nawab MAK Pataudi (the Ex Captain of Indian Cricket Team).

Nevertheless such a great effort from Cartier.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They also had a replica of the first Ford Quadricycle but I missed pictures.
The blue/purple shade is due to the light effect, pictures taken while leaving the show late at evening.

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-dsc07505.jpg

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-dsc07506.jpg

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-dsc07509.jpg

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-20170205_192715.jpg

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 9th February 2017 at 12:59.
KartikeyaL is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 17:58   #22
BHPian

1952 Chevrolet Deluxe Styline Sedan
This was probably the last of these models assembled at GM's facility in Bombay. Interestingly LHD. I have to say I love the colour choice.

Hi Karl,

Any further information on why this was sold in LHD configuration in India?
vanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 18:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
This was probably the last of these models assembled at GM's facility in Bombay. Interestingly LHD. I have to say I love the colour choice.

Hi Karl,

No idea really, I'm hoping some seniors will enlighten us. I recall there was an LHD Studebaker also entered in the last edition.
Old 10th February 2017, 03:26   #24
BHPian

Thank you very much for the photo travelogue. The pics are awesome, you made my day.
Old 10th February 2017, 07:42   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea really, I'm hoping some seniors will enlighten us. I recall there was an LHD Studebaker also entered in the last edition.
This car was originally owned by a doctor and as was the tradition then in Hyderbad a lot of doctors brought cars back from their stints abroad. It now belongs to an uncle of mine, will ask him to check the vin badge to see where it was manufactured. doesnt make sense for a lhd to be sold locally
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 10:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post

Hi Karl,

But how do we know that this particular car was assembled in India? It could have been a direct import for someone by GM. Unless there is a chassis plate that says so its tough to tell! It could be imported in by GM Bombay but may not have been assembled by them. I have found in my research on some other GM brand build sheets that there were exceptions and some cars were shipped directly as LHD.
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Remember seeing a similar car in Jaipur in very original condition. The car had a tag that stated it came or was an export as a CKD from Belgium

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 13:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

Interesting that at least one of the recent import Cadillacs is RHD. Wonder if it came from the U.K.
as far as I know, this is an ex Australia car
awini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 22:25   #29
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed write up and the pictures with specific highlights on each car or motorcycle. Saw that the sun had gone down towards the end of the pictures, so appreciate the effort taken to document each entry for people like us who couldn't be there.

Is the 1961 SL registration local or part of the car where it was imported from?

Hope to see some of them in Mumbai in a couple of weeks.
Old 7th March 2017, 18:05   #30
sat
BHPian

2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad

A few images from Hyderabad..
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-rr-phantom-ii-19301397.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-rr-phantom-ii-19301399.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-rr-phantom-ii-19301402.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-rr-phantom-ii-19301403.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1933-cadillac-v12-370c1458.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1933-cadillac-v12-370c1461.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1933-cadillac-v12-370c1571.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1933-cadillac-v12-370c1569.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1933-cadillac-v12-370c1566.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1931-cadillac-v12-370a1574.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1931-cadillac-v12-370a1580.jpg  

Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad-1931-cadillac-v12-370a1573.jpg  

sat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks