Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2017, 19:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scooter + Car = Scootacar! India's first bubble car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
my grandpa was a Ford dealer in Orissa and Northern AP from 1932 to 1952. And i believe he refused a dealership offer from Birla for Ambassador cars because he felt it was inferior to the ones he was importing and selling!
Unfortunately for him, the gov't didn't feel the same then!
One question though- the Ambassador came out only post 1960 AFAIK, and you mention that he sold Fords until 1952. So what vehicle did he sell between 1952 (when the import of cars was discouraged) and 1960?
Old 25th March 2017, 19:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Unfortunately for him, the gov't didn't feel the same then!
One question though- the Ambassador came out only post 1960 AFAIK, and you mention that he sold Fords until 1952. So what vehicle did he sell between 1952 (when the import of cars was discouraged) and 1960?
He switched to Lambretta scooters, though I am not sure when he did that. He was also selling and repairing Ford cars for quite some time.

Unfortunately, there's nobody of my dad's generation to seek further inputs from.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 22:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

What an amazing vehicle (I do hesitate to say "car")! Such a rare find and fascinating history. The fastback form is not at all unattractive - a cut above most minicars IMO - and the bodywork/paint indeed has been beautifully done (we are so backward up here in H.P. - I've yet to see such a proper paint booth with flow-through in-floor ventilation, good lighting, etc...). In light of all the interest in collectible cars lately, I'm almost surprised that things like this can still be found. Fifteen years ago when I was first roaming around the subcontinent, one could make discoveries without even searching. I do wonder whether this car's being spared had something to do with the lack of scrap value in its fiberglass / wood!

-Eric
Old 27th March 2017, 11:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
This restoration really warms my heart! You've restored it lovingly and so well! Congratulations and thanks for keeping another piece of Indian automotive history on the road.

How long did it take?
Just to be clear, I didn't restore it, nor is it my car
With regards to how long it took, they worked on and off from October to February. Once the body was ready it was completed in just two weeks - that includes full paint and prep, fitting, wiring, etc. Upholstry was probably just over a day! The first trial was driving it from the workshop straight to the VCCCI rally venue for judging.
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 12:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking to more seniors I'm told the project belonged to Mopeds India Limited that made Suvega mopeds. Some quick research shows an address of Mopeds India Limited in Renigunta Road, Tirupathi, which fits perfectly. Every day I'm learning more about this
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 15:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Karlos,

One of the best history lesson I have learned so far on this forum. Hat's off to the current owner and to you for coming up with the history and preserving it.

There is one more car found in Meeruth UP with kaleem Khan, who himself is a classic car restorer. I have accidently deleted the pictures. Have asked kaleem for the same.
manishalive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 14:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I clearly remember as a school boy reading the Auto India magazine an image of a few shells of the German Fuldamobil lying in the open.

I always wondered under what circumstances were shells of this car lying abandoned in India. I know I have the issue somewhere but I cannot find it for now.
Finally found it! This letter to the editor appeared in the May 1997 isuue. Unfortunately I do not have the October 96 issue which originally carried the picture and perhaps story - can anyone help out?

Scooter + Car = Scootacar! India's first bubble car-img_4730.jpg

Interestingly the Hans Vahaar name makes an appearance here too.
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

One more survivor turns up, in Bangalore. And appears to be in great shape too! Posted here

Scooter + Car = Scootacar! India's first bubble car-dsc00865.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 20:14   #24
Team-BHP Support

I had taken one more picture actually - but didn't post it there because my friend is seen blocking the view!

Scooter + Car = Scootacar! India's first bubble car-dsc00867.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd July 2018 at 20:22.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks