Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 17:50   #31
BHPian

It sure does. Used to have a very enviable car collection at one time. Hyderabad still has one of the best ,original collection of cars with one single guy . This is surely the third biggest collection in India after Pranlal & Mallya. He is a walking encyclopedia on Vintage & Classics. Probably the only Indian who has judged International events. Just one of the lucky few to have seen his collection. Has more than 130 cars. I am talking about Nawab Rashid Qayyum. I am sure, even guys living in hyderabad wouldnt have heard his name.

I would still want to believe that Hyderabad has the highest number of motorcycles.No doubt about it. Only if the quality of restoration would have been better, these bike would compete with the best.

In terms of quality restoration of motorcycles - Pune & Mumbai stand out. It is not about the mechanics. The owners in Pune/Mumbai/Blore spend money without flinching.
Old 5th July 2007, 19:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

sounds great! True, we havent heard of him...do tell us more about his collection. pics would be welcome, and Im coming to hyderabad next month. Can you pull a few strings?
Old 5th July 2007, 20:17   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
sounds great! True, we havent heard of him...do tell us more about his collection. pics would be welcome, and Im coming to hyderabad next month. Can you pull a few strings?
Uh, I thought you said you're coming this month on the 18th??
Looking forward to meeting you here atleast this time, mate!
Old 5th July 2007, 20:54   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

sorry, confused...18th of july or thereabouts...we'll meet for sure
Old 6th July 2007, 02:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Quote:
sorry, confused...18th of july or thereabouts...we'll meet for sure
sorry for the OT:
hmmm!!!
so we hyderabadi's will be having a guest very soon.
how about a mini meet??? in hyd when you are here.

do keep us informed about your visit.

raj.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:03   #36
BHPian

Stanher, why dont you tie up with Anirudh to show Karl the collection at Rashid Qayyum. It will be very difficult to convince Rashid Bhai, check with Anirudh. He could help
Old 6th July 2007, 23:37   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Stanher, why dont you tie up with Anirudh to show Karl the collection at Rashid Qayyum. It will be very difficult to convince Rashid Bhai, check with Anirudh. He could help
Sure I will ask him! Although I dont remember if Anirudh did tell me about this gent...maybe he did!
Boy would it be fun to check out a whole collection at Hyderabad!
Karl was in luck the last time he was here, having got to see Pestonjee's collection!
Old 6th July 2007, 23:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Im drooling...maybe if its ok with you guys ill come along with Karl if its ok with all of you Hyderabadis. Nothing like car talk paired with the Oh-So-Famous Hyderabadi Biryani intervals Huh?
Old 31st July 2007, 14:22   #39
BHPian

1937 Opel Kadett

Saw this car a few days back in Hyderabad. The interiors were really well kept. The exterior was not so well maintained with corrosion setting around the windscreens. Otherwise a car in perfect condition. Seemed like you could drive it of if you could get the keys.

Old 31st July 2007, 15:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

couple of more classics in hyd.

hi guys, these are the classics i have found in the old city.

Vauxhall, I dont know the model, but most probably it is the Vauxhall Wyvern four door sedan, the car is in running condition, its there with a mechanic for a restoration job:

nice white walled tyres.

the emblem:

engine and chassis numbers:

the austin seven, i think its also known as the baby austin:

the car appears to be in a usable condition:

I like those wire mesh type wheels and the cranking mechanism:

I hope you all liked the pics. (suren, did you)

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 31st July 2007 at 16:01.
Old 31st July 2007, 18:45   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Otherwise a car in perfect condition. Seemed like you could drive it of if you could get the keys.
I seriously doubt that! Shes been standing for a really long time. Its quite evident.
Old 31st July 2007, 19:57   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hi guys, these are the classics i have found in the old city.
Vauxhall, I dont know the model, but most probably it is the Vauxhall Wyvern four door sedan, the car is in running condition, its there with a mechanic for a restoration job:
I hope you all liked the pics. (suren, did you )
I'm sure he did! And we've asked the mech. there to find out about the price he wants for the car....
Anyway its an early 50s model & yes it originally WAS brought there for a restoration....the mechanic in charge managed to atleast get it painted before running away with the remaining money he was paid....it has been junking away there since & even the paint is slowly but steadily losing its lustre with all the dust/dirt the car is collecting...! Still, it isnt too late to save this car...
Do be warned though, we were told the owner may quote even a lakh+ for it...!
Old 25th January 2009, 16:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
It sure does. Used to have a very enviable car collection at one time. Hyderabad still has one of the best ,original collection of cars with one single guy . This is surely the third biggest collection in India after Pranlal & Mallya. He is a walking encyclopedia on Vintage & Classics. Probably the only Indian who has judged International events. Just one of the lucky few to have seen his collection. Has more than 130 cars. I am talking about Nawab Rashid Qayyum. I am sure, even guys living in hyderabad wouldnt have heard his name.

You are right about Rashid Bhai's collection. It is the third largest in the country and in most cases he is the second owner of these cras.

I used to look after his cars for him. He would let me take any one I fancied and would insist I take it around town especially to the Secundrabad Club and let people kno that he was letting me drive them.

The problem was that him being a visionary having bought up all these cars well before anyone thought of them as having any value.

Now people who have started collecting cars off late get upset with the fact that he has they ancestral car but will not see it to the.

I remember his last purchase was a Austin Champ Jeep which was bought around 2001

His buisvk roadmaster convertibles, the Lincoln V 12 and the Caddys are awsome low mileage vehicles.

He also has a superb Ford T Bird and a Chevy Corvair Monza Turbo which are very rare indeed.

I still have great pics and memories of driving his Sunbeam Alpine and one of this Buick 8 Super.

I was about to start work on his 1926 Dodge Brothers Phaeton when i left for theUS and have not had a chance to visit Hyd since.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th January 2009 at 21:03. Reason: fixed quote, Please dont remove end Quotes
Old 29th January 2009, 01:19   #44
BHPian

Wow thats an old thread revived. Karl do you have pictures of the motorcycles in this person's collection? Hope some of them have been restored over these years.
Old 15th February 2009, 23:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

can we update this thread with better quality images. Now that we can upload totbhp directly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks