Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 20:38   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Vintage Car Collector & Restorer - Kundanmal Petrol Pump, Peddar Road - to be shut down

As per a snippet in today's Mumbai Mirror, the famous Kundanmal petrol pump will be shut down in a few weeks. According to the snippet, it has been under litigation for renewal of rent. The rent payable is 20 lakhs per month and HP which provides the gas says that is not viable for them. The same is said by Ramesh Kundanmal, the owner.

For those who are unaware of whats so special about this pump - please read through.

http://www.dnaindia.com/locality/mum...age-cars-48295

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1979942

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1487365

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...s-india-8.html

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd June 2017 at 07:50.
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vintage Car Collector & Restorer - Kundanmal Petrol Pump, Peddar Road - to be shut down

In the petrol pump world, this one is an icon. Saddened by the news. If I ever needed a top-up when in that area, I'd be sure to fill up at Kundanmal only. Two advantages:

1. Good guys. Fuel purity guaranteed.

2. 10 minutes of ogling over all the lovely cars parked there.

They've had classic cars for the longest time and you could spot some neat muscle cars & old Mercedes too. From time to time, a sportscar or well-maintained old Landcruiser / Pajero would be visiting.

Just to give BHPians an idea of what the lineup is like, here's a pic shared by Mission_PGPX:

The owner is a motorsport veteran:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
14th overall was also a Premier Padmini (MMG6527) driven by Ramesh Kundanmal / Kiran Sanghvi. They won the third prize. This car used to be parked at Kundanmal Service Station in Peddar Road in Mumbai all year round and was used only for the Himalayan Rally.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Re: Vintage Car Collector & Restorer - Kundanmal Petrol Pump, Peddar Road - to be shut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just to give BHPians an idea of what the lineup is like, here's a pic shared by Mission_PGPX:
Nice catch GTO. I was lucky to spend one whole day there for pete's remap. The collection of classics is unbelievable. You feel like living in 50s for a few minutes. Attaching some more pics. The owner there informed that one person is assigned on a restoration job for 6 months to 1.5 years. They source the original parts of classics. Upon asking how much would such a project costs, the reply was "ranging from 50 lacs to 2 cr". I was stumped knowing the love for classics by owners. Sharing some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Car Collector & Restorer - Kundanmal Petrol Pump, Peddar Road - to be shut down-img_20170103_124851.jpg  

Vintage Car Collector & Restorer - Kundanmal Petrol Pump, Peddar Road - to be shut down-img_20170103_134157.jpg  

Vintage Car Collector & Restorer - Kundanmal Petrol Pump, Peddar Road - to be shut down-img_20170103_134251.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2017 at 17:55. Reason: Trimming quoted post :)
Mission_PGPX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 10:22   #4
BHPian

It's sad really, I have visited the pump a few times and also taken advice on restoring my car from him.
So is it only the pump which will shut down or is he closing the car restoration and garage business also? Any clarity on it? He has a good team of skilled people under his payroll and is very knowledgable , I really hope he continues his restoration and garage business elsewhere if not in the current location. Can't blame him really, Pedder road is a very very expensive locality, hope he is able to find some place reasonable to continue his business.
Old 26th June 2017, 02:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Nice catch GTO. I was lucky to spend one whole day there for pete's remap. The collection of classics is unbelievable. You feel like living in 50s for a few minutes. Attaching some more pics. The owner there informed that one person is assigned on a restoration job for 6 months to 1.5 years. They source the original parts of classics. Upon asking how much would such a project costs, the reply was "ranging from 50 lacs to 2 cr". I was stumped knowing the love for classics by owners. Sharing some more pics.
Does anyone know what the car in the second photo is ? The one with a Grebel Spotlight; and no bonnet / radiator.

Looks like the Bentley BMX-91. Thanks

Last edited by travancore : 26th June 2017 at 02:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks