Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 10:29   #16
BANNED

Re: NGT exempts vintage cars from ban on 15-year old vehicles

One thing is not clear. What happens in the period of say 10/15 years and till the car is considered 'vintage'. You do not just mothball it. Maybe some clear ideas/guidelines will help.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 13:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One thing is not clear. What happens in the period of say 10/15 years and till the car is considered 'vintage'. You do not just mothball it. Maybe some clear ideas/guidelines will help.
One more unclear thing that's food for thought, which I'd mentioned even in one of my above comments- is this exemption only for cars?! What about the numerous bikes and scooters all over the country that exist simultaneously and many of which also fall into the vintage category?
Old 26th May 2018, 11:37   #18
BHPian

A layman would usually classify all the antique cars in a single category, but as you involve more and dig deeper, you will discover that not all of them are alike. Typically, the old cars are classified into two categories, namely Vintage and Classic. However, as the saying goes – Different people have different perceptions. There are many myths floating around regarding which models fall in which category. For example, in India, we consider the automobiles manufactured before the year 1940 as Vintage autos, and those that are built during the period of 1941 – 1960, as classics, others manufactured late in 1961 – 1970 are termed as recent classics. On the other hand, Vintage Car Club of America defines Vintages as the cars manufactured in 1919 to 1930, and as far as the classics are concerned, they are included in the period of up to 1948. Perhaps there is a no definite answer. The different websites I visit, the different answers I get, and it appears that this is more or less a debatable topic, which is why, I wanted to share with you all to discuss and find out if we can reach to an appropriate conclusion (?).

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/23614314.cms
Old 26th May 2018, 14:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Alenghat View Post
and as far as the classics are concerned, they are included in the period of up to 1948
If that were so then what about all the 50s cars and even thereafter, such as the 60s Ford Mustangs, Corvettes, Chargers, GTOs etc.? Are they not considered classics there?
Old 26th May 2018, 18:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is high time there is a clear cut definition of which is a 'classic' and 'vintage' car in INDIA, by the authorities concerned.
These days the vintage tag is used as a ploy to increase the demand of cars which are no longer in production, hence we can see advertisements like "Vintage Maruti Esteem"" vintage ZEN'' etc.....
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 15:25   #21
BHPian

Apologies for the bump if this is answered elsewhere.

We have two Ambassadors, one a Mark2 and the other a Mark3 which have been lying idle for the past 15 odd years. They are very close to a scrap heap now in terms of condition. It is a painful story why they ended up in this condition in the first place, but perhaps not for this thread. Finances, as in a severe lack of funds definitely contributed.

Anyhow, I am thinking of getting them restored to a road worthy shape (not an exact restoration as it would be too expensive and beyond me) but to at least give them a semblance of being true to their origins.

Before I proceed, request advice on whether they can be re-registered (and if yes, I assume their original number plates won't be carried over?). Also, if anyone knows of a good restorer in Calcutta, would be thankful for a pm

@anjan_c2007 and others
Old 29th May 2018, 22:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Before I proceed, request advice on whether they can be re-registered (and if yes, I assume their original number plates won't be carried over?). Also, if anyone knows of a good restorer in Calcutta, would be thankful for a pm

@anjan_c2007 and others

Are they Delhi registered?
Old 30th May 2018, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanyu View Post
Are they Delhi registered?
They were WB registered and their registration lapsed about 15 years ago. I wanted to restore them and re-register to make them road legal.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:48   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
It is high time there is a clear cut definition of which is a 'classic' and 'vintage' car in INDIA, by the authorities concerned.
These days the vintage tag is used as a ploy to increase the demand of cars which are no longer in production, hence we can see advertisements like "Vintage Maruti Esteem"" vintage ZEN'' etc.....
And, I might add, also cars that are no longer in their original state, either mechanically or bodily and yet projected as 'complete' classics and even advertised for a high price tag- for instance, Fords/other American cars with Diesel engines, Heralds with roofs stripped off and falsely described as "convertibles" or with fake TRIUMPH badges etc.!
Old 1st June 2018, 09:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I slightly beg to differ on this. No matter how hard people try to define, there will never be a crystal clear definition of a "classic" as the term in itself is highly subjective. e.g. It has been 25 years since the Zen was launched and a pristine 1993 Zen has some bits (including some Japanese parts) which were unique to that batch. Who decides now if it is a classic or not?

While some cars may get universally accepted as a vintage / classic in the Indian context, others will be open to debate. Simply put what is classic to you may not be a classic to me.

Case in point, Fiat 1100s till early 2000s were not regarded as classics by many as they were available in abundance especially in Mumbai where all taxis were Fiats / Premiers. Fast forward to today and one will see many Millecentos (Elegants, Selects, Super Selects, Delights and even the Premier Presidents) in many car shows across the country.

In my opinion, any car which is over 15 years old and has been maintained well should be allowed to run. Because who knows, a car which is not a classic today may be a sought-after car after a few years!

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 1st June 2018 at 09:58.
salilpawar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 17:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Case in point, Fiat 1100s till early 2000s were not regarded as classics by many as they were available in abundance especially in Mumbai where all taxis were Fiats / Premiers. Fast forward to today and one will see many Millecentos (Elegants, Selects, Super Selects, Delights and even the Premier Presidents) in many car shows across the country.

In my opinion, any car which is over 15 years old and has been maintained well should be allowed to run. Because who knows, a car which is not a classic today may be a sought-after car after a few years!
It seems you are mixing 2 separate issues together.I fully agree with you that a well maintained car need not be scrapped just because it is over 15 years.
Also The latest car mentioned in your list Premier President was last produced 30 years ago, as of early 2000.The Zen was in production with some minor changes till 2004-2005.
Some cars may be 'collectible' but that necessarily doesn't make it a classic
That is why the thread on SS80 started by me in 2007 is still not included in the " Vintage and Classic Section'' in our forum and quite rightly also

Last edited by ajay99 : 2nd June 2018 at 17:33.
Old 2nd June 2018, 18:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
It seems you are mixing 2 separate issues together.I fully agree with you that a well maintained car need not be scrapped just because it is over 15 years.

Premier President was produced from 1972 to 1974 and in 1975 it became Premier padmini,its more than 40 years old.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 21:40. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd June 2018, 19:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanyu View Post
Premier President was produced from 1972 to 1974 and in 1975 it became Premier padmini,its more than 40 years old.
please read what I had written
''The latest car mentioned in your list Premier President was last produced 30 years ago, as of early 2000''
In early 2000, it was only 30 years.Am I not correct??
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:36   #29
BHPian

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...icles/56975258

Cars classified as Veteran (pre-1904), Edwardian (1905-1918), Vintage (1919-1938), Classic (1939-1960 and Modern Classics (1961-1975).

These are classified as Veteran (pre-1904), Edwardian (1905-1918), Vintage (1919-1938), Classic (1939-1960 and Modern Classics (1961-1975).

Rule 92 (2)(c) of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 and Section 59 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988

Anyone knows the full version of the above Rule and Act 1989 & 1988?

I think RTAs are not acting to this rules. I have already paid huge amount for retest and registration for five years in 2017 up to 2022. Also paid Rs10000/- for one year Insurance for My 1950 Vauxhall- Velox Classic Car. Can I get refund about Rs.36000/- including insurance.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 21:38. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 5th June 2018, 09:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
please read what I had written

''The latest car mentioned in your list Premier President was last produced 30 years ago, as of early 2000''

In early 2000, it was only 30 years.Am I not correct??

You are absolutely correct,iam sorry i didnt read that line.
Samanyu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks