Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:38   #16
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club - 40 Years and still counting!

In the early 90's the KVCCC team under the leadership of now Late Mr. Ravi Kumar, participated in the Taj Krishna Rally at Hyderabad. The Hyderbadis were great hosts and the team won a lot of prizes, including the Concours prize for the wonderful 1935 Sunbeam Twenty Five Tourer, Ex-Kohlapur, then owned by Mr. Papanna M S. The participating cars from KVCCC Team, included a Jaguar E Type, Daimler, MGTC and Magna, Ford GPW, Sunbeam Twenty Five, the Big Austin Landaulette, Riley etc

Mr. Ravi Kumar led the team with this Jaguar E Type. MGTC is seen behind
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image1.jpeg

This was an amazing original car. The 1935 Sunbeam Twenty Five, Six Seater Tourer, Ex-Kholapur. The car was restored by N Sripathi Rao for its owner M S Papanna
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image2.jpeg

The car went on to win the Concours Prize.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image3.jpeg

The Riley is seen in the background
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image4.jpeg

Seen in this picture are some of the KVCCC Members with their prizes.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image21.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 21:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread.

Informative and detailed as usual. Enjoyed reading it. Missed the event as was in MMRT that day.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
[b]TCurrently, a lot of youngsters are working on their cars themselves, long drives are regularly happening and the Club's functioning is getting more formalized. Interest shown by the youngsters in actively restoring their cars is a very positive sign for the future of the Club.
Cheers

KPS
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 07:32   #18
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an old article shared by the family of one our Founder Members Natarajan K S. He had great collection of Suvegas. I remember him visiting our house in a freshly restored Suvega.

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image1-3.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 22:16   #19
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The Late Ravi Kumar was an outstanding gentleman. He was the Secretary of the Club and under him the Club got its much deserved recognition. He lead by example by having great cars, was wholly committed with the V & C movement, and helped members with cars and parts. He was working towards setting up a Club house. It was his dream to have a full fledged library with the help of another club great, Raman.

Here is a picture of Ravi Kumar attending the Statesman Rally, Delhi in his Ford
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-ravi-kumar.jpg

The list of cars he owned individually and in his partnership included,

WO Bentley, which he sold to fund part of his Real Estate company. Car went to Mumbai and then to Indore
Mercedes 540K, now in Pune
Jaguar E Type, now in Rajasthan
Jaguar XK 120, Aluminium bodied, now in Indore
Jaguar XK 140, remains in Bangalore
Jaguar Mk 1, now in Hyderabad
Lanchester, remains in Bangalore
Mercedes Nurburg, remains in Bangalore
Mercedes 170V
Mercedes 220S Fintail
Mercedes Ponton
Auburn, now in Delhi
Lancia Lambda, now in Hyderabad
MG TC, I think it remains in Bangalore
MG SA Saloon, should be in Chennai
Chrysler Royal, now in Coimbatore
Austin 16/6 Landaulette, now in Mumbai
Ford Model T, remains in Bangalore
1954 Desoto Convertible, now in Rajasthan
1952 Chevy convertible
1933 Chevy Phaeton, remains in Bangalore
204 Peugeot Roadster
1947 Wolseley
Studebaker Starlight Coupe
Studebaker President
Coach built Ford, Ex-Holkar
Ford B
Last but not the least had a Scott Flying Squirrel TT Replica motorbike.

The jewel in the crown was the Mercedes 540K. Considered as one of the Top 5 cars in India, once fully restored . Julian and Harit had given us lot of history on this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Some more from Harit.

Quote:
First of all, there were at least 5 540K's in India and now 2 survive. One is this pictured of Jackie Shroff, it is definitely a 540K but seems to have a shorter bonnet. It also has a unique feature of historical importance which should be mentioned in Manvendra's book when it comes out. I will not put up info disclosed by him to me as I do not want to shut that tap. Believe me, it is historically very important.
The problem with Vintage car history in India is that we have lost a lot of knowledge about the cars before present times. It is believed that this car is not the Pahar Ganj car, and then it was bought from some old lady in Mysore. I stongly suggest that before putting up such statements, one should make an effort to go through the thread, garner some info and then ask around. You will then get a clearer picture, some progress to get its full history. I will write what I know and definitely some correction may be required.
The first time I saw a pic of the 540K, it was in a UK magazine under Finds in around 1980. In the same pic a Delahaye could be seen. Someone please check with Mr. Raj Seth. I believe that the car was then or soon after owned by Mr. Ravi Kumar whom I unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting. The car was taken from Delhi and went to Indore either directly, or via Bangalore and was put together very presentable, but mechanically not working as parts were missing. Unfortunately Mr. Ravikumar expired and his wife sold the car to Jackie, from Bangalore and not Mysore. I believe it has since been sold on.
What about the car before it landed up in Delhi? I believe that this car has had 2 royal connections, Akalkot (spelling?) and Nepal. I had tried to fish out some info and got bits and pieces. At one time the car was lying near the docks, sort of abandoned, then shifted to a garage on Lamington road and offered for sale @ Rs 10,000/-. Now who has picked it up and taken it to Delhi is not known. I will try to find out and hope others can ask around. Perhaps Mr. Seth can tell how it came to him. I believe that someone had removed the supercharger bits and may still have them, but who was that?
Another 540K alive in India should be with Pranlal. This was dieselised and the original engine was found in the palace with ALL the parts. It is an open tourer, yellowish body with brownish mudguards.
Pictures of another 540K will be in Bob Rupani's magazine, one of his earliest issues where there are pictures of Pratap and Tom Roy's cars. There is a 540K pictured which has probably been sent out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I have just talked to Mr Seth about the 540K. He confirmed its Nepalese Royal connection but could not be any more specific. It seems that Ravi Kumar bought it from where as Harit says it was garaged in Bombay and the car was moved to Delhi.

Ravi Kumar’s friend, a Mr Gerhart who worked for the then East German Embassy, appointed one of the senior embassy mechanics, a Sadar, to repair the car. He lived in Pahar Ganj, he dismantled the car, had the engine in his house and Mr Gerhart was supervising the work. Then Mr. Gerhart returned to East Germany and the work progress virtually stopped.

Ravi Kumar asked Mr Seth to take on the job of supervising the work as there had been some fancy bills paid and not a lot of work done, including a set of new tyres paid for but no new tyres fitted. When the progress did not improve the car was moved to Mr. Seth’s house, which is where it was when I photographed it.

The Sadar with held a lot of parts including the instruments and a lot of the fuel and oil supply components. I found the carburettor in the boot and bolted it back on the car. The Sadar had by then moved to Chandigarh, I remember going there with Mr Seth in an attempt to retrieve the missing parts from him but he was not to be found. As a result of this it was decided that there was no way the car could be mechanically restored properly as so many important components were missing. This was about 1986-87. I used Mr Seth's garages from 1986-1993.

Mr Seth is sending me some more photos of the car when it was in Pahar Ganj and I will upload them once I have them.
Pictures posted by Julian, when the car was in Delhi
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedesbenz-540k-1.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedesbenz-540k.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-3.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-4.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-5.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-6.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-7.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedesbenz-540k-2.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-8.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-mercedes-benz-540k-9-.jpg

These picture are part of Sripathi Rao's collection
Car under restoration in Indore
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-4.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-5.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-2.jpeg

Unfortunately, Mr. Ravi Kumar never got to see this car once the car's body work was completed. On his way to Indore to collect the car, he passed away.

The car as it landed in Bangalore after his passing.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-6.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-7.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-9.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-10.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-11.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-540k-12.jpeg

The car is now in Pune, yet to be mechanically restored.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 23:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Here is an old article shared by the family of one our Founder Members Natarajan K S. He had great collection of Suvegas. I remember him visiting our house in a freshly restored Suvega.

Attachment 1736205

Cheers

KPS

One more article about Mr.Natrajan which was published in Deccan Chronicle on 24th March 2012Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522172176.099381.jpg
Samanyu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 17:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

KVCCC is one of the oldest clubs in existence in India.

In the late 1960’s, through the 1970’s, when many of us were still studying and dreaming of owning collector cars, there were lots of people and places from where the Indian Vintage Car Scene emerged developed. Quite a lot of the activity was happening In Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta and Bangalore and also in smaller places like Pune, Indore, Ahmedabad, Lucknow. What are being made aware of is the wide circle this community encompassed, restorers, collectors, explorers finding cars, and also the exporters.
In Bangalore there were the likes of Ravi Kumar, K.S. Raman who are sadly no longer with us. I wish I could have met them. They were active all over India, taking part in events, restoring and discovering cars. Mr. Lakhani was a regular participant with his Ford Model A and two bikes in the IARC rallies held in the 1970’s till, as we were told, he migrated to Africa.
There are many others in Bangalore too who have this hobby in their blood, many are my friends and during every visit to Bangalore I try to catch up with them, meet new folks, and just generally widen my circle.

I am attaching herewith a photograph of a Bentley. Most likely it is the car which Ravi Kumar owned at one time. And the photo appears to have been taken in Bangalore. Can anyone identify the location and these guys seen in the picture? I got this photo from someone in Lucknow and it came in a whole bunch of pics featuring other great cars. The VCC world was active pan India even in those times, and KVCCC was present right from the beginning.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-bentley-kvccc.jpg  

harit is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 20:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And the photo appears to have been taken in Bangalore. Can anyone identify the location and these guys seen in the picture? I got this photo from someone in Lucknow and it came in a whole bunch of pics featuring other great cars. The VCC world was active pan India even in those times, and KVCCC was present right from the beginning.

Cheers harit
Location I think is opposite of the Vidhansoudha Building, in front of the Karnataka Highcourt Buildings.

The people, I am sure KPS can do the honours

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 09:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am attaching herewith a photograph of a Bentley. Most likely it is the car which Ravi Kumar owned at one time. And the photo appears to have been taken in Bangalore. Can anyone identify the location and these guys seen in the picture?
While I do not know the location or people, I assume this car is chassis NX 3452, regd MYV 3981, the 4.5 litre vandenplas tourer originally a Bhavnagar car, some owners later owned by A Sparrow (not a sparrow) in 1964 in Bangalore, and back to the UK in 1971. Credit to the usual stalwarts for filling the gaps.
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 07:43   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I managed to find the 1981/2 AGM Minutes which includes adoption of Accounts, Finalizing Auditors and forming a sub-committee, for representations to the Commissioner of Transport

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-kvccc-agm-1982.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-kvccc-agm-1982-1.jpeg

Some important history is captured in these Minutes

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 08:30   #25
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

In the early 2000's our Secretary, Dr Ravi Prakash was largely responsible for KVCCC's participation in the Mysore Dasara events. It used to be a remarkable effort, as he ensured that the Club Members had a fantastic time. Coordination with the District Administration, arrangements at the event etc., was unparalleled and Doc must be thanked even now for having to ensured it remains etched in our memories.

We had multiple Dasara events and I have participated in a few. Here are pictures from the 2004 event. Doc lent us his 1928 Fiat (Ex- Kutch) which my father drove and Late Ravi Kumar's wife joined us as the rear passenger.

The procession is always lead by the elephants
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1.jpeg

The Titular Maharaja, Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wadiyar in full glory
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2.jpeg

The cars were always ahead of the elephants. We lead the procession so that the car could have an easy run and the crowds would not complicate the run.

The Mysore Palace in the background
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3.jpeg

The Palace through the windshield
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-4.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-5.jpeg

The crowds were amazing
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-6.jpeg

One of my favourite pictures of the event. We stop for people to enjoy the cars
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-7.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 10:06   #26
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

When the Club Badge was planned, I believe members like Mr. K C Ashwath and K S Raman experimented with the design.

Our member Mr. Harish K was kind enough to share pictures of the experimental badge
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image2.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 12:41   #27
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some old press releases from 1996 and 1998

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-2.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-4.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-5.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-2.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-4.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3-2.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 11:08   #28
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

KVCCC had a breakfast meet last Sunday. About 20 cars and 4 scooters came for the meet. we had almost 40-50 member families and friends in attendance.

This is an unstructured meet where members come at their convenience and discuss cars and old stories.

Pictures Courtesy KVCCC Members

Designed by a member's daughter this beautiful message for the group
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-2.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-4.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-5.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-2.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-4.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-6-1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2-5.jpeg

Committee Members spelling out the possible future runs

Mandatory Group Picture
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3-2.jpeg

Breakfast. Great to have the veteran members interact with the new members
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image3.jpeg

This meet was thoroughly enjoyed and we plan to have more such meets going forward.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 16:31   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, great going, nice pictures too, specially loved the collage of the wheels !
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 17:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Great going and a happy 40th anniversary to the KVCC. The event conducted last Sunday was captured in some awesome pictures.

KPS , it's a pleasure to read about your father being associated as a founder and a founder office bearer of the KVCC.

Wishing the Club good going and many more feathers to its cap and also greater successes in the decades ahead.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks