Team-BHP - Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/195152-karnataka-vintage-classic-car-club-kvccc-40-years-counting.html)

The Karnataka Vintage and Classic Car Club (KVCCC) was formed in 1979. This was a brainchild of a few friends driven by Shri Anand Rao and Shri Balram Kandige. Joining them was Shri Premanth P S, Shri Prithvinath K G, Shri Nataraj Shetty, Shri Anil Kumar Lakhani, Shri Ganesh Rao and others. The primary object of the Club was to "Promote and encourage collection, preservation and use of vintage cars in India". The Club remains one of the oldest and premier vintage and classic car clubs in the country. KVCCC is also one of the two clubs in the country to be a member of Federation Internationale des Vehicules Anciens (FIVA). KVCCC is also the primary founding Club to help in the establishment of the Federation of Historical Vehicles in India (FHVI)

My Father, Shri Prithvinath K G in consultation with his lawyer friend, prepared the Memorandum and Rules and was instrumental in completing the registration formalities in 1979-80.

Here is the front cover of the original Memorandum and Rules. You will see that it also sports the first logo of the Club,
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image1.jpeg

Here is the first Badge of the Club.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-badge.jpeg

Here is a picture of the Ex-Mysore Daimler DB18 with the original KVCCC Badge. This was a sedate looking badge
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-db.jpg

The Founder Members of the Club are those who took up membership till 1980. There are 12 such member and include Mr. Anil Kumar Lakahni, Mr. Balram Kandige, Mr. Eranimos V P, Mr. C George, Mr. Premanth P S, Mr. Ashok Agrawal, Mr. Natarajan K S, Mr. Prithvinath K G, Mr. Sudarshan Malpani, Mr. Sulaiman Jamal, Mr. Gouse Mohiyadeen and Mr. Babu N V

The first Office Bearers of the Club were
  1. President - Mr. Anil Kumar Lakahni
  2. Vice President - Mr. Balram Kandige
  3. Hon. Secretary - Mr. Premnath P S
  4. Hon. Treasurer - Mr. Eranimos V P
  5. Committee Member - Mr. Natarajan K S
  6. Committee Member - Mr. C George
  7. Committee Member - Ms. C Saroja
  8. Committee Member - Mr. C K Venkatachalaiah
  9. Committee Member - Mr. A Swamynath
Over the years, the following have been the Office Bearers of the Club

President (not necessarily in order, as some had multiple terms)
Mr. Anil Kumar Lakahni, Mr. Balram Kandige, Mr. Premnath P S, Mr. Ashok Agrawal, Mr. Prithvinath K G and Mr. Sulaiman Jamal (current)

Vice President (not necessarily in order, as some had multiple terms)
Mr. Balram Kandige, Mr. Premnath PS, Mr. Natarajan K S, Mrs. Sabeena Prakash (current)

Hon. Secretary
Mr. Premnath P S, Mr. Ravi Kumar C, Mr. Nandagopal, Dr. Ravi Prakash and Mr. Balachandra Yadalam (current)

Hon Treasurer
Mr. Eranimos V P, Mr. K C Ashwath (Jt. Treasurer), Mr. Subramani K and CA Subbaiah K P (current)

The Club was largely a hobby club for many years. Some well known collectors who are/were members and contributed to the Club's growth included the Late C Ravikumar, Dharmaadhikari Shri Veerendra Heggade, Dr. Ravi Prakash, Mr. Sulaiman Jamal, The Khodays Group, The UB Group and so on. Stalwarts like Balram Kandige, C Ravikumar, Raman K S, Natarajan Shetty, Prithvinath K G, Anand Rao, Ganesh Rao, Satyan B K, Papu Ramaswamy, Girish Nayudu brought experience and knowledge to the Club.

Currently, a lot of youngsters are working on their cars themselves, long drives are regularly happening and the Club's functioning is getting more formalized. Interest shown by the youngsters in actively restoring their cars is a very positive sign for the future of the Club.

Cheers

KPS

Over the years KVCCC has conducted and participated in many a rallies and events. Most of the recent rallies have been extensively covered in TBHP.

However, here are some examples of the contribution of the Club to the Vintage movement in Karnataka.

When my father Prithvinath K G was President, the Club was successful in getting a reduced Life Time Tax structure for Vintage and Classic Cars.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-rto.jpeg

It is important to note that in 1991, to get such tax exemption, the car had be duly certified for genuineness by KVCCC. This was changed in 1993, as the Govt. felt that KVCCC was not a statutory body and it was not in the interest of the public at large, for compulsory certification by KVCCC.

Here is and example of Certification Process follow by KVCCC till the Rule change in 1993
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image2.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image3.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-image4.jpeg

Here is a brochure of a Rally in the 1980's. This was given by Dominator and posted by Karl sometime back.

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-01.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-02.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-03.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-04.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-05.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-06.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-07.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-08.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-09.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-10.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-11.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-12.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-13.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-14.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-15.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-16.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-17.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-18.jpg

Here is some newspaper clippings from a 1993 Rally

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-press.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-press1.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-press2.jpeg

Cheers

KPS

To commemorate the 40th year of KVCCC, the Club was fortunate to get the support of India Post. So on the World Automotive Day, India Posts,Karnataka Circle, launched First Day Covers with KVCCC background and KVCCC special cancellation.

The members participate enthusiastically for this event. Keeping mind the historical value of these First Day Covers, there was fantastic demand for the same.

Dr. Charles Lobo. I Po.S, Chief Postmaster General, Karnataka Circle was the chief guest. Century Club, Cubbon Park was kind enough to host this event and be the venue for the release of the first day covers.

Here are the First Day Cover with the KVCCC background. This beautiful background was designed by Ms. Rupali Prakash, kudos to her.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-1.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2.jpg

The back of the cover also details KVCCC
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-3.jpg

The special stamp cancellation with KVCCC Logo.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-2a.jpg

The function at Century Club. Two founder members Mr. Premnath P S and Mr. Prithvinath K G were seated on the dais and honoured with a flower bouquet respectively.

Seen in the pictures are Mr. Premnath P S, Mr. Rakshit S P (President - Century Club), Mr. Sulaiman Jamal, Dr. Ravi Prakash, Dr. Charles Lobo (I. Po.S, Chief Postmaster General, Karnataka Circle), Col. Arvind Varma ( I. Po. S, Postmaster General, Bangalore HQ Region), Mr. Subramani K, Mr. Prithvinath K G, Ms. Sabeena Prakash, CA Subbaiah K P and Mr. Balachandra Yadalam.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-4.jpg

The Release of the First Day Covers with special KVCCC cancellation at Century Club.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-5.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-6.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-p57.jpg

Honouring India Posts, I thought it was apt to add the picture of the still functional vintage postbox at Taj West End, Bangalore
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-7.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-8.jpg

Cheers

KPS

Members enthusiastically participated in the event by bringing their cars and bikes. Here are pictures of some the member cars and bikes

The bikes are lined up
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d12.jpg

Norton
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-b1-norton.jpg

BSA
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-b2a-bsa.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-b2-bsa.jpg

Ariel
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-b5-ariel.jpg

Royal Enfield
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-b3-re.jpg

Triumph Speed Twin 500CC
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-b4-triumph.jpg

The cars on display
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d1.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d3.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d2.jpg

The Morris bunch
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d4.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d6.jpg

Beautiful Jag and Chevy together attracted a lot of eyeballs
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d7.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d8.jpg

Rare sight to the see a 1967 Hillman Minx and 1966 Sunbeam Minx
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-d9.jpg
Quote:

Bulletboy writes on his Sunbeam - The Hillman Minx was rebadged for a few years in the mid 60s, only for the export model bound for the US market (LHD). This was an effort to boost sales by using the more upmarket "Sunbeam" moniker. It didn't sell any better due to the name change, and from 67 onwards they went back to using "Hillman" even for the export market. This particular green car was purchased by a Prof. Mukundan from IISC, when he was stationed in the US for his PHD, and brought back to India on TR in the 1970s.

Cheers

KPS

Some of the cars are detailed below

This 1949 Buick Super has been a one family car
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c1-buick.jpg

1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c2-chevy.jpg

Chevrolet Impala
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c3-chevy1.jpg

1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-chevy3.jpg

1955 Dodge. The last of the small fins
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-dodge.jpg

Ford Model Y
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-ford.jpg

Ford Mustang
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-ford1.jpg

Rare in India is this beautiful Lincoln Coupe
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-ford3.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-ford4.jpg

Hindustan 14
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-hindustan.jpg

Hindustan Mark 1
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-hindustan1.jpg

The Ex-Nizam Humber Limo
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-humber.jpg

The beautiful Jaguar E Type
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-jag1.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-jag.jpg

Jaguar XK140
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-jag2.jpg

1928 Lanchester Straight 8
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-lanchester.jpg

This early Morris has been with one family since new
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-morris.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-morris1.jpg

Morris Bulldog
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-morris2.jpg

1957 Plymouth
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-ply.jpg

1966 Sunbeam Minx. The Bulletboys Car, which I drove for the event
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-sunbeam.jpg

Triumph TR3
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-triumph.jpg

Wolseley 8
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-c-wolseley.jpg

Cheers

KPS

We did have a small drive to the Postmaster General's House, past Vidhana Soudha and GPO

AT the Postmaster General's place
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l1.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l2.jpg

Quick group photograph
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l3.jpg

From the small drive that we had
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l4.jpg

Feels nostaligic!
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l5.jpg

Past the GPO, Karnataka Circle.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l6.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l7.jpg

My mother and sister enjoy the evening
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l8.jpeg

Some of our wonderful members
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l9.jpg

I join this group of youngsters for the picture, the future of the Club is bright.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l10.jpg

In the Press
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l11.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-l12.jpeg

This report has been prepared with pictures taken by various KVCCC members, including myself. Hence would like to thank all the members of KVCCC for the active participation and support for making this event a grand success.

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did writing it

Thanks

KPS

Mod note: Thread moved to Vintage Cars & Classics in India section. Thanks for sharing.

KPS,

Thanks for posting this. This is not only a wonderful description of the event held by KVCCC and the Department of Posts but this post is a fantastic summary of the club itself. Reading this post allows one to appreciate the efforts of the stalwarts who put in so much effort in bringing this club to the status that it enjoys today. It must have been a personally proud moment for your family to see your father being honoured and also for you, your mother and your sister to attend. There are some truly wonderful cars in BLR such as the e-type, the Lincoln etc. Your Plymouth and Daimler are rare cars and would have only enhanced the show by their presence. Looking at the post makes me regret missing it even though it was on a Monday afternoon. I do hope to attend the next one.

MN

KPS,
Thanks for sharing this. The Event apart, you have shared details of the wonderful history of the club which has been started with a wonderful foresight. I was not aware of this though I am from KA until you shared this. Really great indeed clap:

Of course those lovely beauties in Bangalore roads, takes you decades back to this city's glorious past !

KPS, thank you for creating this thread with the history of KVCCC. As important as the cars themselves is to also have a record of these associations. It takes quite a bit of effort and dedication to first establish, then run, then fund such bodies not to mention government interference and tugs and pulls amongst members and so on. May the KVCCC thrive for many more decades.

Dear KPS,

Thank you for the very detailed and informative article about KVCCC. Learnt a lot of things i did not know! A couple of pictures from my side with the cars waiting outside the PMG's home and in front of our assembly. It was a lovely drive with both my cars. It was a fantastic event with a lot of good cars and good friends coming together just to drive for a common cause.

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-img_20180129_163430.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-img_20180129_164619.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-img_20180129_194722.jpg

Regards,

Srinand.

Since this tread will feature old cars from Karnataka, I thought it is important to post the the details on vehicle registration series too.

MY - Mysore State
MYA - Bangalore, post MYB series
MYB - Bangalore from 1945
MYC - Chikmaglur
MYD - Commercial Vehicles
MYE - Bellary, around 1958
MYF - State Road Transport
MYG - Mangalore, post MYX series
MYH - Hassan
MYI - Bidar
MYJ - Bijapur
MYK - Kolar
MYL - Belgaum
MYM - Mysore
MYN - Mysore, post MYM series
MYO - Bangalore
MYP - Gulbarga
MYQ - Bangalore
MYR - Raichur
MYS - Shimoga
MYT - Tumkur
MYU - Chitradurga
MYV - Bangalore
MYW - Dharward
MYX - Mangalore
MYY - Bellary
MYZ - Coorg (Kodagu)

Post the MY series we have had the following numbers

ME Series - 1970's, MEA,MEB,MEC,MED,MEE etc
CA Series - Bangalore, as K series was in Kerala, CAA, CAB,CAC, CAD etc
CN Series - Largely out of Bangalore, CNZ,CNX
CT Series - Largely out of Bangalore, CTO,CTX
CK Series - Mainly Bangalore, CKA,CKD,CKL, CKM etc
KA Series - On computerization of numbers in 90's

Cheers

KPS

Thank you, KPS for this lovely thread on the club. I enjoyed reading the detailed info along with the pics of the vehicles.clap: Looking forward to more such threads from you.

Quick question, isn't this the Morris 8 series E? I wasn't aware that it was called the bulldog.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KPS (Post 4354582)
Morris Bulldog
Attachment 1728712

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 4359832)
Quick question, isn't this the Morris 8 series E? I wasn't aware that it was called the bulldog.
Cheers!

For some reason the Morris 8 Series E is always referred to as Bulldog Morris, probably for easy identification. This reference to Bulldog is a legacy, but not sure if it is restricted to India only.

Some of old pictures taken from FB: Bangalore- Photos of Bygone Age of a Rally in the 1990's

This is a vintage rally, but not able to authenticate if the KVCCC was involved. However, I have posted this, as the 1928 Dennis Fire Engine has participated in a few KVCCC events and in all probability of this too being a KVCCC rally is high.

This massive Austin Landaulette was eye catching, as most of us were used to seeing small Austins. The car was owned by the Late Ravi Kumar. I understand that this car is currently in a Mumbai collection.

This Jaguar E Type was also owned by the Late Ravi Kumar. The car survives and is currently in Rajasthan. In the background one can see the Chevy Woody of Khodays, which still remains with them.

This is a beautiful Morris Cowley Flatnose Doctor's Coupe.

The car survives and remains in Bangalore
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-5.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-6.jpeg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-7.jpeg

Some more pictures of a Rally in 1990's.

Seen here is a Buick, then owned by our Founder Member Natarajan K S and is driving the same. On the passenger seat is another Founder Member, Prithvinath K G. This car survives and is now in Hyderabad.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-8.jpeg

Our Founding President Mr. Anil Kumar Lakahni seen driving his Ford A. This car too survives
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-9.jpeg

The first car in Dr. Ravi Prakash's (Doc) vast collection, is this Sunbeam Talbot. He is seen in the picture, driving the same. Doc has made some significant contributions to the Club and for many years held the Club together.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-10.jpeg

Daimler DB18 of another Founder Member Sulaiman Jamal. This car remains in the family
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-11.jpeg

This Sunbeam Limousine, is Ex-Travancore and was under the ownership of the Sajjan Rao Family. Currently the car is part of Doc's collection.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-12.jpeg

Cheers

KPS

Here is a great story of a KVCCC member car restoration. This story is about the amazing guts shown by the owner to get into this project and the tenacity of the restorer to take up the project. I have done a detailed story here. I am reposting some parts of the same story, as this car significant lifted the profile of the KVCCC member cars, beyond Bangalore.

In 1991-92, Mr. Papanna a successful business man had been bitten by the vintage car bug having witnessed the resurrection of his 1947 Riley car by Mr. Sripathi, which incidentally won an award in a KVCCC event for restoration. Knowing Mr. Sripathi's knowledge of cars and expertise he placed his confidence in his judgement and mandated him to find more rare cars. They were able to buy the 1934 Ex-Kolhapur Sunbeam.

Mr. Papanna expressed his desire to own a Veteran car. Hence when Mr. Sripathi went to Delhi to buy the 1937 Buick 8 of Purnea (now at the Manjusha Museum), he started to make enquiries for any artillery wheeled vehicle. One of their acquaintances informed them that there was a very old car in Bikaner, a 1903 Renault in dismantled condition and the owner was willing to sell if he got the right price. The owner of this car was a manganese mine owner at Bikaner. So from Delhi Mr. Sripathi went to Bikaner saw the car in completely dismantled condition. It was believed to have been dismantled more than 50 year before. The car was orginally owned by the Maharaja of Bikaner, HRH Ganga Singhji. It was believed that he gifted this car to one of his ministers in the late 1920's after he acquired a period car. We do not know how the car came to the mine owner. Anyways, after he made his offer he returned to Bangalore as they could not settle on an acceptable price. However he left his correspondence address in case the owner changed his mind.

In early Jan 1992 they got a telegram from the owner that he was agreeable for the quoted price if they come and take the car before a certain date in Jan. Mr. Sripathi immediately left for Bikaner from Bangalore and acquired the car.

Since the car was in a completely dismantled condition, it was decided to hire a vehicle in Bikaner and drive through to Bangalore. Hence they hired a Willy's Wagoner and filled its rear with all the loose parts, engine, radiator and wheels! The chassis and bonnet were loaded on the roof!

The picture shows that the whole 1903 Renault fitted in this Jeep Wagoner, for transportation to Bangalore

The bonnet and chassis on the roof

The bits and pieces were just bundled into the Jeep

Chassis

Gearbox
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-5.jpg

Engine. Note the corroded aluminium shell. This was fixed, after the moulds were made of wood and a new aluminium shell was cast.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-6.jpg

The completed engine
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-7.jpg

Sripathi exploring the gear box
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-8.jpg

The body style they decided to adopt was the Double Phaeton Body. It get the proportions right, the same made was made in paper and the measurement taken to finish in wood.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-9.jpg

Paper to wood
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-10.jpg

One gets an idea on the shape of the car
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-11.jpg

The restored carclap:
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-12.jpg

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-13.jpg

The proud owner Mr. M S Papanna (now late) and the restorer Mr. N Sripathi pose proudly with the car.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club (KVCCC) - 40 years and counting-14.jpg

This restoration was very important as it significantly lifted the profile of KVCCC member cars. Other members understood that cars can be resuscitated. Papanna had some great cars in his stable including Sunbeam, Buick, Riley, Skoda and this wonder Renault with Bouton engine. Most of these cars are now at the Manjusha Museum and Riley is in Chennai. The Sunbeam went on the win awards when KVCCC members participated in a rally in Hyderabad.

Cheers

KPS