Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 14:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur

Its been just over 10 years since we were first introduced to the biennial Cartier Travel with Style Concours d'elegance - or just 'the Cartier', as its come to be known - the finest gathering of collector cars and bikes. A common sentiment echoed by most is that it has indeed changed the game for us in the collector car circles. The events are graced by some of the most glamourous cars as well as people, and more recently also in a stunning heritage location. Not just the prizes, but just invitations to participate are seen as a sign of great prestige, for both car and owner. But for me the highlight to attend is that at every event we get to see some stunning cars that are usually not accessible to the public, and so many cars are restored for the event that would have otherwise continued to languish, derelict. That, combined with the opportunity to meet like minded friends and associates from our small fraternity, is my main take away.

This time on the 24th of February was the sixth edition. The last event took place at the gorgeous setting of the Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad, and you can see a detailed report of the event here (Report & Pics: 2017 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Hyderabad). The Falaknuma as a backdrop is a tough act to follow, but this year's location was no less stunning - The Rambagh Palace in the historic city of Jaipur, originally built in 1835. As with every edition, the special classes attract a lot of attention, like the purdah car and shikaar car class in the past, with distinctly Indian flavour. This time's special classes included Pre-War Transportation, and Ford Thunderbird. Here are the participating cars and bikes, as per the well-curated classes laid out. Disclaimer - the model names and years are largely as displayed. I have corrected a couple of oversights, but might have missed some as well. There were 86 entries, though a couple of no shows as well.

Pre-War Classics - European
The most myriad class of all, with an amalgamation of a small veteran, tourers, limousines and even boat tailed roadsters.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-01.jpg

1906 Renault 8HP Runabout
In the current family's ownership since the 1960s, this delightful runabout was the sole veteran entered. Beautifully restored and presented, this car has been campaigned at events in Calcutta and other cities for probably half a century! It certainly did grab a lot of smiles.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-renault01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-renault02.jpg

1921 Fiat 501S Corsa speedster
This striking looking racer recently returned from Pebble Beach, and is probably unique in the world in this specification. Ordered by the Maharaja of Patiala when new, more here (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2018 - With Motorcars of the Raj).
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-fiat05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-fiat08.jpg

1922 Ansaldo Tipo F Tourer
This is the first time that the car is being shown, and probably the only representative of this obscure Italian marque in India. The car was in totally derelict condition after being neglected for years, and the transformation is indeed creditable. Full marks to the restorer.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ansaldo01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ansaldo02.jpg

1926 Daimler Double Six Sports Tourer
Another car that I was very keen to see, this rare and desirable 12 cylinder Daimler had been lying abandoned in the present owner's family since the 1950s I am told. Large parts of the coachwork were missing, and the car has been finally made roadworthy after a lengthy restoration in Calcutta. I am told the car was rebodied in period in India itself. More pictures here (Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh).
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-daimler01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-daimler04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-daimler06.jpg

1926 Fiat Tipo 503 Tourer
A local entry, this smartly turned out tourer is a regular at Jaipur events.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-fiat02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-fiat03.jpg

1930 Morris Minor Tourer
Belonging to our own BHPian KartikeyaL who is always flying the pre-war Morris flag, this cute little tourer was expressly restored once more for the event, just in time. And she turned out lovely! I believe it is the oldest Minor in the country? More on the car here (My Morris Minor 1930 OHC Tourer).
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-morris01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-morris03.jpg

1930 Austin 7 Ulster Boattail Speedster
Once again a unique car that is probably being shown at an event after decades, if at all. This racy little boat tail looks like a lot of fun, and was probably driven the way it should have been when with the first owner - I am told Holkar. A period picture of the car was thoughfully placed in the glovebox.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-austin01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-austin02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-austin03.jpg

1932 MG J2 Speedster
With brand MG re-entering the Indian market, collector MGs are suddenly in the focus once again. This mean looking speedster is a new import, and I am told has racing history too.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mg01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mg02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mg03.jpg

1934 Lagonda M45 Rapide Sports Tourer
This Abott bodied sports tourer also recently graced the green lawns of Pebble Beach. What a graceful, stunning car! Originally ordered by Bhavnagar, more here (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2018 - With Motorcars of the Raj).
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-lagonda10.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-lagonda99.jpg

1936 Alvis Speed 25 Sports Toruer by Vanden Plas
Another Pebble Beach participant, this car even took a prize in her class. Originally a Mayurbhanj car, more here (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2018 - With Motorcars of the Raj).
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alvis01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alvis02.jpg

1936 Mercedes 290 Pullman Limousine
Only after seeing the before and after pictures of this formal Mercedes does one get an idea of the scale of restoration. Full marks.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-merc01.jpg

1937 Daimler EL24 Limousine
Another unique car shown for the first time. This Kolhapur state limousine was ordered by Princess Indumatiraje and specified fully in pearl white - including the engine block, chassis, drums and steering wheel! A 7 seater purdah car, it was used right up to 1971 till her death, and moved to the present owner in 1973. The car underwent a particularly authentic restoration and was driven for the first time in 30 years. A wealth of period photos assisted, more on this remarkable car soon!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-daimler19.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-daimler34.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-daimler68.jpg

1938 Skoda Popular Cabriolet
A very stylish little cabriolet, the owner tells me it was originally a Kasmanda car.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-skoda04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-skoda05.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st March 2019 at 10:30.
karlosdeville is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 17:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur

Pre-War Classics - European: Rolls-Royce
No concours would be complete without a few of the best cars in the world! India's love affair with Rolls-Royces is stronger than ever before. I have to say I was a tad disappointed to see just 2 cars of Indian provenance out of 7 in the class. But the quality of some of the restorations made up for it.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-03.jpg

1927 Rolls-Royce 20hp Barker Tourer
Chassis GRJ1 is a smart Barker Tourer that I believe was initially a trials/demonstration car, and sold to the Nawab of Sachin. A detailed write up of the car is seen in the Osian's (Osian's Vintage & Classic Automobiles Auction, 27th February 2019) catalogue where the car was due to be auctioned, but I am told did not change hands. Hopefully will remain in the enviable collection. A fully documented history from new, the car has now been very smartly restored and presented with a host of period fittings. A stunning car indeed.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls03.jpg

1929 Rolls-Royce 20hp Tourer
Chassis GEN77 is a more recent import to India, originally a Weymann Limousine, rebuilt as a tourer later in its life.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls05.jpg

1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25hp Sports Saloon
Chassis GDP23 is a recent import to India, originally a Gangloff Limousine, rebodied in period to a Sports Saloon body by Coachcraft. Completed just in time after a detailed grounds up restoration. I personally love the single colour scheme.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls06.jpg

1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25hp Limousine
Again a recent import, chassis GLB6 sports a smart Thrupp & Maberly limousine coachwork. Again completed just in time after a detailed grounds up restoration. Apologies I seem to have misplaced a batch of more pictures, hopefully others will share.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls07.jpg

1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Streamline Coupe
Much has been said about 62UK - the last Phantom II Continental built. So perhaps better to read more about the car and her Pebble Beach successes here (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2018 - With Motorcars of the Raj).
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls08.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls09.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls10.jpg

1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30hp Landaulette
Chassis GTL9 is a very handsome H J Mulliner Landaulette that was imported some years back to India.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls11.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls12.jpg

1939 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Limousine
This beautifully restored and imposing Phantom III is also a recent import, I'm afraid I don't have the chassis details handy, over the experts.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls13.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls14.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-rolls15.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st March 2019 at 23:11.
karlosdeville is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 17:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-War Classics - American
Again a varied mix of sedans, tourers, roadsters and a smart coupes.

1919 Packard Twin Six Limousine
This imposing and stately limousine recently made her debut at a Bombay event, driving for the first time since the 70s probably. For the concours the car was restored once again, and looks stunning in the new colour combination. Believed to have belonged originally to the Governor of Pondicherry, a French territory at the time.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-packard01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-packard02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-packard03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-packard04.jpg

1920 Overland Model 4 Tourer
A regular sight at the Jodhpur palace, this Overland is probably with the palace since new. The Overland brand was very popular in India when new, but the survival rate is rather poor. I think there was a video posted earlier of the cars being assembled in Calcutta? Or were they Oaklands...
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-overland01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-overland02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-overland03.jpg

1928 Gardner Model 85 Roadster
A unique and very handsome car, I would have thought that this is the only Gardner in the country - till the owner mentioned that he bought 3 of them together! A superb restoration with fantastic detailing.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-gardner01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-gardner02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-gardner03.jpg

1929 Erskine Model 52 Sedan
A local entry, this car is a regular at Jaipur events. It even still had the original owners manual, with the first British owner's name typed out.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-erskine01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-erskine03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-erskine04.jpg

1930 Stutz Model M Dual Cowl Speedster
Another car that walked the ramp at Pebble Beach, this stunning car truly is special, and the only Stutz in India. Originally purchased by the royal family of Baria, it wears very handsome dual cowl coachwork and fully known history. A fantastic restoration.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stutz01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stutz03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stutz04.jpg

1931 Studebaker Commander Tourer
Another local entry, regular attendant to Jaipur events.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude03.jpg

1932 Cadillac V12 Roadster
Finished just in time, this handsome roadster is again a recent import.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-caddy01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-caddy02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-caddy03.jpg

1939 Ford Model 91A Convertible Sedan
This car was totally original and complete prior to the restoration, perhaps could have passed off as a preservation class contender at the time. Very unique looking.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford02.jpg

1939 Ford Fordor Sedan
A Pune entry, if I recollect this car had done duties as an Army Staff Car, carrying Viceroy Mountbatten at one point.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford04.jpg

1940 LaSalle 5227C Coupe
Another fresh import, totally original and unrestored when she first landed - now smartly restored in the same specifications as new.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-lasalle01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-lasalle02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-lasalle03.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st March 2019 at 10:35.
Old 27th February 2019, 17:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-War Classics - Transportation
This is a new special class that had me most keen, and I hope it will return subsequently. The event has in the past as well set the trend to popularise and educate the enthusiasts on certain classes like Preservation and Indian Heritage, and I hope that finally these and other commercial vehicles will soon get their due. I make no bones in reiterating that this is exclusively thanks to the curator, Manvendra Barwani's unmatched experience and eye. For those who missed it, he was recently presented with a prestigious award at Pebble Beach. A moment of pride for the Indian scene. More here (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2018 - With Motorcars of the Raj) (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2018 - With Motorcars of the Raj).

1930 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton Series LS Truck
This truck had a particularly interesting back story - used by the Dyer Meakin brewery in Kasauli (Asia's oldest) to transport Lion brand beer to thirsty Britisher soldiers.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy04.jpg

1932 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton Series M Bus
This long chassis bus was delightfully accessorised as a touring bus, with tremendous attention to detail on period fittings. Obviously a lot of effort went into it.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy60.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy61.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy62.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy63.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy64.jpg

1932 Ford Model B Open Cab Pick-up (a pair)
2 seemingly identical Ford Model B pickups complemented the class on either side of the display. Both regulars at local events.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford02.jpg

1934 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton Series PA Truck
This truck started out as a water tanker for the Mandsaur fire department, eventually landing up in Pune. It was totally junk when bought a year back from a scrap yard, and just parts of the cabin left. This was rebuilt exactly like the original (in 6 months!), and a pickup bed was built to be able to ferry passengers. Nothing fancy, just like a truck would have looked when in service.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy06.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy08.jpg

1940 Ford 1 1/2 ton Bus
Another very nicely done bus, kitted out for touring. This is the first time that I'm seeing it, and can only imagine what fun it would be to go on a roadtrip in!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford06.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford08.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 18:38.
Old 27th February 2019, 21:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Post-War Classics - European

1950 MG YT Tourer
This sporty tourer has been in the family from the late 1970s, and been a part of every important family function with pride. The car has finally completed an extensive restoration, and the owner proudly informed me that all fittings like every gauge is in working condition, even the in built wheel jacks, which were activated for the display. I'm told the car was driven home to Ahmedabad - full marks!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mg03.jpg

1951 Standard Vanguard Phase 1 Estate
The kind of car that gets me particularly excited . The car was presented beautifully, probably far better than it would have looked when new. The later Phase 1A models including estates would have been built in India.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-vanguard01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-vanguard02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-vanguard03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-vanguard04.jpg

1955 Austin Cambridge A55 Saloon
This cute Austin reminded me of a shrunken Ambassador! Probably a contemporary of the Morris Oxford anyways.

1962 Mercedes 220SE Cabriolet
Being shown for the first time, and expressly prepared for the event, this Mercedes is probably one of just 2 in India, and looked stunning.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-merc01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-merc02.jpg

1967 Humber Hawk Saloon
A local entry, this luxurious English saloon is often seen at events. Was it also a Jaipur state car?
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-humber01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-humber02.jpg

1968 Mercedes 280S Saloon
I was told that this was Rajmata Gayatri Devi's last car that she personally drove.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-merc07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-merc08.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 18:40.
karlosdeville is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 21:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Post-War Classics - American
This was probably the class with maximum number of local entries, including Jaipur state cars.

1946 Chrysler Windsor Business Coupe
This recent import is I am told largely unrestored and looks superb.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chrysler01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chrysler02.jpg

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
This has been in the Jodhpur collection from new. Don't miss the tinted glasses. Has carried loads of VIPs in her life.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-cadillac01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-cadillac02.jpg

1946 Buick Super 8 convertible
A personal car of Rajmata Gayatri Devi, she used this car in the 1962 and 1967 election campaigns, for which she won a Guiness record for a landslide victory. The car was just restored cosmetically and returned to the original colour combination of Sequoia cream and red and bedford cloth interiors. She looked like a million bucks, and probably the only 46 Buick convertible around that I can think of.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-buick01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-buick02.jpg

By coincidence, the palace seemed to wear the same shade of Sequoia Cream
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-buick03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-buick04.jpg

1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Aero Sedan

A local Jaipur car, this rare streamlined coupe is particularly handsome, especially with the extra trims that we don't see on the more popular 4 doors.

1951 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible

Again I am told a Jaipur royal car, looked grand with its long, low and sleek looks.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-cadillac09.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-cadillac10.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-cadillac11.jpg

1954 Chrysler Windsor Sedan

This sedan has been attending local events for many years
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chrysler03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chrysler04.jpg

1955 Studebaker Commander Coupe
I am told a recent acquisition to the current owner, and consequentially beautifully spruced up including a new dual tone paint scheme. I don't know of another one like it in India - very handsome.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude04.jpg

1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk
I have fond memories of this car being regularly used in Pune when with the previous first owner's family. In fact this very car participated in reliability trials conducted by the WIAA in 1958, and even took the Concours d'elegance trophy!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude08.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude12.jpg

1958 Chevrolet Bel Air
This car was completely restored in Jaipur some years back.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy08.jpg

1959 Chevrolet Impala
A very original and pleasing car, it seemed largely unrestored.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy10.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy11.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy12.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st March 2019 at 10:44.
Old 27th February 2019, 22:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thunderbirds
Another special class this time, celebrating the iconic Ford Thunderbird. With Ford's operations in India winding up in the 1950s, and most imports were subsequently very conservative small saloons, not too many of this globally successful car would have come to India. If I recall right, just two of the first generation little 'birds came to India - one for Palitana (featured below) and one which was displayed by Ford at the trade fair, and sold to Bikaner.

1955 Ford Thunderbird Convertible
This is one of the very early cars, identified by the Ford emblem on the boot, rather than the Thunderbird motif, as I learnt from the owner, incidentally the Curator . Bought new in London by the Yuvraj of Palitana, Mr. Barwani acquired the car in the 1980s.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird05.jpg

1960 Ford Thunderbird Convertible
Owned by the Jaipur royal family from new, the car was presented in a pleasing colour combination of off white and red interiors
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird06.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird07.jpg

1961 Ford Thunderbird Coupe
Previously a Gwalior car (who also owned a convertible which survives), this car underwent a long and extensive restoration with results that show.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird13.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird14.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird15.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird16.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird17.jpg

1962 Ford Thunderbird Coupe
Being shown for the first time, this 62 bird was presented in its original colours of Sandshell Beige with Pearl Beige interiors, and was completely restored in just 6 months, to a very high standard.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird08.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird09.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird10.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird11.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird12.jpg

1965 Ford Thunderbird convertible
This convertible I think was at one point owned by actor Shammi Kapoor, subject to correction. I think this model first introduced the sequential taillight indicators.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird18.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird19.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-tbird20.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 18:49.
karlosdeville is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 22:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Sports Cars Class
With the show having completed 10 years, its only fair that little by little, more recent cars be given an opportunity to be showcased. What better way to bring in more recent classics that a Sports Car class, for cars upto 1979.

1966 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupe

Fresh out of restoration with the new owner, this handsome Coupe hasn't been seen at an event in decades probably.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag04.jpg

1974 Ferrari GT4 2+2 Grand Tourer
For the first time 2 cars from this marque enter Cartier - hopefully one of more to come.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ferrari01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ferrari02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ferrari03.jpg

1979 Ferrari GTS Targa
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ferrari09.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ferrari10.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ferrari11.jpg

1969 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV Coupe
In long term ownership, this handsome coupe is an extension of the owner's personality, and always fastidiously maintained.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alfa01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alfa02.jpg

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000GTV Coupe
It was announced that the owner imported this car himself, and is obviously a keeper.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alfa06.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alfa07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-alfa08.jpg

1971 Jaguar E-Type Series III Fixed Head Coupe
A new import, she looked stunning!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag10.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag11.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag12.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 16:18.
Old 27th February 2019, 22:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Roadsters
Always a fun class, with popular sporty cars from the 40s and 50s.

1938 Mercedes 170V Roadster
My favourite model, these sweeping cars remind me of a baby 540K! I particularly liked the colour scheme.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mercedes01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mercedes02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mercedes03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mercedes04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mercedes05.jpg

1946 MG TC Roadster

No event is complete without one!

1953 Jaguar XK120 Drophead Coupe
Again a palace car, the car was expressly restored for the event.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-jag05.jpg

1962 Austin Healey 3000 Mk II Roadster

1965 MG Midget Roadster
Many will remember this car from the MG display at the Delhi airport.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mg04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-mg05.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 16:24.
Old 27th February 2019, 22:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Preservation
Another favourite class of mine, what a delight to see these cars with all of their battle scars proudly displayed. I think all of them were being shown for the first time - no mean feat.

1937 Ford V8 Woody Stationwagon
I was told this car is in very long term ownership, and was locked up for decades, and they had to break a wall to get the car out. It remains in excellent original condition - the woodwork is just stunning!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-ford07.jpg

1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Convertible
This rare convertible is probably one of just two similar cars in the country. Originally ordered for a Baroda princess, the car was damaged while unloading at the docks and delivery never taken. That's when the first Indian police commissioner of Bombay saw the car and bought it, and remained in his family after his untimely demise. The car was largely preserved untouched in its garage in Pune from the 1970s, and only came out last year for the first time in over 40 years.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy05.jpg

1953 Studebaker Champion Conestoga
This car I think belonged to our BHPian Shwetank in the past, and is largely unrestored. A nice size of car to tour in!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-studebaker01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-studebaker02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-studebaker03.jpg

1959 Chevrolet Impala Sedan
This is definitely the most iconic of all Impalas, and in unrestored condition its even more special.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy23.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy24.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-chevy26.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 17:03.
Old 28th February 2019, 12:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Heritage Class
My favourite for sure! Though I would have liked to have seen a couple of more representative cars as well.

1947 Studebaker Champion Coupe
Our very own Kasli entered his unique coupe in this category, and got the car spruced up to match original combinations as well. Hopefully we will now see more of this car on our Sunday drives.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude08.jpg

1950 Studebaker Champion Sedan
A local Jaipur car, I am told with the same family from new.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude11.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude13.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-stude14.jpg

1950 Hindustan 14 Saloon
A nice original car still with the side valve engine (most are upgraded), and finished in trademark dark green.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-hindustan01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-hindustan02.jpg

1956 Dodge Suburban Custom Stationwagon
This car was a real treat, a very original low run car when bought. Every item is still factory, even things like the fuel flap rubber gasket and service booklet.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dodge02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dodge04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dodge05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dodge08.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dodge11.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dodge12.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th February 2019 at 17:17.
Old 28th February 2019, 13:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The impressive motorcycle selection was split into 3 classes, with a varied mix of local and outstation bikes, restored as well as all original. I will leave descriptions to the experts.

Veteran - Vintage Motorcycles Class

1918 BSA Model K
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-02-bsa01.jpg

1920 Douglas W20
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-03-douglas01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-04-douglas02.jpg

1924 Douglas OB
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-05-douglas03.jpg

1927 Triumph SD
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-06-triumph01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-07-triumph02.jpg

1927 FN M67
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-08-fn01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-10-fn02.jpg

Pre-War Classic Motorcycles Class
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-09-copy.jpg

1930 AJS R12
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-11-ajs01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-12-ajs02.jpg

1931 Ariel SG31
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-13-ariel03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-14-ariel04.jpg

1932 New Hudson 350SV
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-15-new-hudson01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-16-new-hudson02.jpg

1938 Triumph 3H
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-17-triumph03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-18-triumph04.jpg

1939 Norton 16H
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-19-norton01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-20-norton02.jpg

1940 Ariel Red Hunter
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-21-ariel01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-22-ariel02.jpg

1940 Indian Junior Scout
This bike appeared to be totally unrestored and original -it seems even the original tyres were on dispaly. How charming!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-23-indian01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-24-indian03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-25-indian02.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st March 2019 at 12:52.
Old 28th February 2019, 13:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Post-War Classic Motorcycles Class

1946 AJS 16M
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-02-ajs03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-03-ajs04.jpg

1947 Triumph 5T
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-04-triumph05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-05-triumph06.jpg

1947 Indian Chief
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-06-indian04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-07-indian05.jpg

1947 Harley Davidson 74U
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-08-harley01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-09-harley02.jpg

1951 Sunbeam S7
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-10-sunbeam01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-11-sunbeam02.jpg

1954 BSA Golden Flash
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-12-bsa02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-13-bsa03.jpg

1955 Triumph Tiger 100

Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-14-triumph07.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-15-triumph08.jpg

1955 BMW R69

Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-16-bmw01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-17-bmw02.jpg

1956 Royal Enfield Constellation 700
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-18-enfield01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-19-enfield02.jpg

1956 Norton ES2
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-20-norton03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-21-norton04.jpg

1956 BSA Goldstar DBD34
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-22-bsa04.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-23-bsa05.jpg

1964 Norton Dominator 650SS
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-24-norton05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-25-norton06.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st March 2019 at 12:58.
Old 28th February 2019, 13:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

And finally the prizes!

I apologise I wasn't able to get any pics (since I was gatecrashing some prizes ), I am grateful to shutterbugs Saurabh Jadhav, Santaji Shirke and Mahir Jhaveri for most of these super shots of the cars and bikes walking the ramp. If anyone can fill in the missing ones please do help out!

First with the bikes.

Pre-War Motorcycles
Second Runner Up – Pre War Classic Motorcycles was presented to the 1930 AJS R12 of Mr. Sandeep Kapoor
Unfortunately I don't have a picture.

First Runner Up – Pre War Classic Motorcycles was presented to the 1931 FN M67 of Mr. R. K. Jain
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-01-fn.jpg

Best In Class – Pre War Motorcycles was presented to the 1940 Indian Junior Scout of Mr. Sandeep Kapoor
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-02-indian.jpg

Post-War Motorcycles
Second Runner Up – Post War Motorcycles was presented to the 1954 BSA Golden Flash of Mr. Siddhesh Mitkar
Again apologies no image.

First Runner Up – Post War Motorcycles was presented to the 1947 Indian Chief of Mr. Sundeep Singh Sokhi
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-03-indian.jpg

Best In Class – Post War Motorcycles was presented to the 1951 Sunbeam S7 of Mr. Hafeez Contractor
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-04-sunbeam.jpg

Veteran Vintage Motorcycles
Runner Up – Veteran Vintage Motorcycles was presented to the 1918 BSA Model K of Mr. Sandeep Kapoor
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-05-bsa.jpg

Best In Class – Veteran Vintage Motorcycles was presented to the 1924 Douglas OB of Mr. R. K. Jain
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-06-douglas.jpg

Special Awards
Two special awards were presented

Judges Award to the 1906 Renault 8HP of Shrivardhan Kanoria
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-07-renault.jpg

Special Award to the 1937 Daimler 24EL of Ravi Pittie
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-08-daimler.jpg

Indian Heritage
Best in Class – Indian Heritage was presented to the 1947 Studebaker Champion of Aniruddh Kasliwal

Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-09-studebaker.jpg

Roadster
Best In Class – Roadster was presented to the 1953 Jaguar XK120 of Raj Kumar Ajai Singh of Jaipur
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-10-jag.jpg

Sports Cars
Best In Class – Sportscars was presented to the 1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV of Arjun Oberoi
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-29-alfa.jpg

Pre-war European
Second Runner Up - Pre-War Classic European was presented to the 1934 Lagonda Model M45 Rapide of Sharad Sanghi
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-11-lagonda.jpg

First Runner Up - Pre-War Classic European was presented to the 1921 Fiat 501S Corsa of Amal Tanna
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-12-fiat.jpg

Best In Class - Pre-War Classic European was presented to the 1936 Alvis Speed 25 of Nishant Dossa
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-13-alvis.jpg

Pre-War Classic European Rolls-Royce was presented to the 1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom 2 Continental of Amir Jetha
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-14-rolls.jpg

Pre-War American
Second Runner Up Pre-War Classic American was presented to the 1928 Gardner 85 of Madan Mohan
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-15-gardner.jpg

First Runner Up - Pre-War Classic American was presented to the 1919 Packard Twin Six of Amal Tanna
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-16-packard.jpg

Best In Class - Pre-War Classic American was presented to the 1930 Stutz Model M of Diljeet Titus
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-dsc_5160.jpg

Pre War Classic Transportation
Best In Class - Pre War Classic Transportation was presented to the 1934 Chevrolet - 1 1/2 Ton Series PA of Kaizad Engineer
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-18-truck.jpg

Post War European
Runner Up - Post-War Classic European was presented to the 1967 Humber Hawk of Sudhir Kasliwal
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-19-humber.jpg

Best In Class - Post-War Classic European was presented to the 1962 Mercedes 220SE of Viveck & Zita Goenka
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-20-mercedes.jpg

Post War American
Runner Up - Post-War Classic American was presented to the 1947 Cadillac Series 62 of H.H. Maharaja Gaj Singh ji of Jodhpur
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-21-caddy.jpg

Best In Class - Post-War Classic American was presented to the 1946 Buick Super 8 of Dinesh Lal
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-22-buick.jpg

Thunderbird Class

Best In Class – Thunderbird was presented to the 1961 Ford Thunderbird of Viveck & Zita Goenka
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-23-thunderbird.jpg

Preservation Class

Best In Class – Preservation was presented to the 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster of Kaizad Engineer
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-24-chevy.jpg

Cartier Resurrection Cup was presented to the 1922 Ansaldo Tipo F of Nitin Dossa. A Special mention was made to the 1938 Mercedes 170V owned by Abhishek Jaiswal.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-25-ansaldo.jpg

The Mark Shand Adventurer Trophy was presented to the 1951 Standard Vanguard Phase 1 of Viveck & Zita Goenka
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-26-vanguard.jpg

Best of Show

Best of Show - Motorcycles was presented to the 1940 Indian Junior Scout of Mr. Sandeep Kapoor
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-27-best.jpg

Best of Show - Cars was presented to the 1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom 2 Continental of Amir Jetha
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-28-best.jpg

It was a proud moment for me personally to see the Rolls finally win the coveted Best of Show award, and I couldn't think of any more deserving car. And to celebrate, would you believe that Amir is driving the car all over Rajasthan and all the way back to Bombay? Fantastic!

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd March 2019 at 13:16. Reason: 1946 Buick.
Old 1st March 2019, 13:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Some sights and sounds

62UK en route back home to Mumbai, taking some breathtaking detours
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-gnuw5275.jpg

The logo that set the bar

The gorgeous and immaculate Rambagh Palace, which gets even more stunning by night
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-03.jpg

Over 80 cars dotted the lawns
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-04.jpg

Beautifully done hospitality tents were made available
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-06.jpg

And for those on the go, a colourful chaiwalla
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-08.jpg

The dinner organised for participants was also quite spectacular
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-07.jpg

These 3 boattails looked so cool together
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-09.jpg

Every year participants take more and more effort - look at this lovely lineup of books and memorabilia
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-10.jpg

I always enjoy the novelty of seeing red royal plates - even if many of them are fantasy
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-11.jpg

The mole's LaSalle getting a quick wipedown, and cool stuff in the boot!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-13.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-12.jpg

Bawajis doing what they do best, and making me proud!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-14.jpg

Detail on the Chevy truck.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-15.jpg

Detail on the Ford woody - what a cool car!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-18.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-17.jpg

How lovely that the present and previous custodians of the Lagonda could meet and exchange stories.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-19.jpg

One of the few cars where the in built jacks are working, and here's proof!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-20.jpg

Terrific attention to detail on the Packard.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-21.jpg
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-22.jpg

You could eat off this engine bay! Superbly presented Renault.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-23.jpg

Body tag on the Studebaker.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-24.jpg

Intense scrutiny was interesting to observe. Here is Prince Michael of Kent inspecting the white engine block of the Kolhapur Daimler
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-25.jpg

Chief judge Simon Kidston with what was soon announced as Best of Show
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-26.jpg

BHPian KartikeyaL probably advising mbz180 how to get original Italian air in his Fiat tyres.
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-27.jpg

The events team always had enough people on hand for whoever needed assistance
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-28.jpg

The man who made it all possible
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-29.jpg

And my favourite moment of the show!
Report & Pics: 2019 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Jaipur-30.jpg

Overall, as always, an outstanding effort by the whole team and participants. Can't wait for the next edition - tweety bird mentioned a very ambitious location for the next time - godspeed!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd March 2019 at 00:01.

Most Viewed