Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2023, 09:08   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hello to all.

New to team-bhp and I thought I’d start my membership with a post on my experience of owning a E46 M3.

My infatuation with the BMW 3-series started as a kid when my father brought me a brochure on the then recently launched BMW E30. And of course it was the six cylinder 325i that was my E30 of choice. Even over the supposed legendary E30 M3.

The E36 came around and I fell in love with its shape and lines. Not one bad angle on the car. So sleek and compact. BMW updated the M3 to the M3 Evo. The icing on the cake.

But the E39 5 series was such a beautiful lovely car too. The M5 soon arrived with a 4.9 litre naturally aspirated V8, those beautiful gun metal alloys. And updated later to have the beautiful rear lights with the LED light rods.

However, the car went out of production before I had the money to buy one. And a friend pointed out that the front of the E39 looked a bit weak compared to the rest of the car. And my brother said, why bother with a saloon?

So, to the E46. I was slightly disappointed to see how BMW had softened the lines on the successor to the E36. A sign of the times I suppose. Still, I thought I’d get the 330Ci.

Or a M3. By mid 2005, I was decided I’ll get one. A few emails to BMW Park Lane London and I had all the info I needed. A trip to London and a test drive later, I had put down the deposit for a LHD M3. The car was scheduled for production in September 2005 and I can pick it up on my next visit to London in December 2005. Those days, I was planning to settle in Germany so the car was ordered LHD.

Anyway, to the car and the ownership experience.

The car is all it is made out to be.

I loved the design language of the BMWs from the 80’s (E34/E36/E38) and the E46 was the last to carry on that styling before the Bangle era came about.

The S54 engine is the swansong for the naturally aspirated straight six and is what makes the E46 M3 what it is. Starting the car up is a highlight and though chances to explore the higher reaches of the rpm range are few, it is a delight when I am able to.

The interior is sublime too. With the low orange illumination and wonderful instrumentation and dials. The front seats are full electric and very comfortable. The lesser said about rear seat comfort, the better. There isn’t any!

The car was ordered with the HK stereo package. Which is rubbish. Thankfully, with the car sounding this great, who wants to listen to the stereo anyway?

Options that I ordered were the front heated seats, 6 CD changer, and electric rear blind. All of which I find very useful.

Another thing that I am not very impressed with on the E46 M3, and I believe it is a BMW trait and therefore nothing to do with this particular model per se, is the gearbox. I do find it notchy and long.

The car has travelled with me from the UK, to Germany, then France, and now finally in Dubai.

It also spent a year in India as a temporary export with the Bombay to Dehra Dun trip being a highlight of that stay.

The car has not suffered any major troubles in all these years of ownership but I have not yet addressed the rear subframe issue that is the design flaw on the E46 M3.

I have uprated the suspension/brakes/steering/wheels to CSL spec and run the car on road legal race tyres which have added that little bit of additional sparkle to the handling and the steering.

However, the car is strictly a two seater. You can fit two people in the back but anything more than short journeys and they will be complaining. It does get a little claustrophobic in the back.

Getting in and out of the car is troublesome too, due to its very low height and ground clearance. And when it was in India, it scraped at just about every speed hump.

Running costs and servicing for the car are not cheap, as expected. Fuel economy goes down substantially in traffic or if the car is driven in a spirited manner, to as low as 5-6 kmpl. As the engine is a high performance unit, it does not like anything less than 98 unleaded. Also, since I am running soft tyres on the car, they don’t last long and are quite expensive to replace. There is a range of engine oil brands to choose from for the car. From Liqui-Moly to Shell and BMW’s own brand engine oil.

The soft touch coating on interior buttons is now beginning to flake and even the slightest scratch shows.

But all in all, I find the car wonderful. It’s an iconic car and my conversation with people who know about it usually goes like:

Stranger: Wow. E46 M3. Are you selling it?

Me: No.

Stranger: Well, here’s my card. Just in case you change your mind.

Me: Save your card. No possibility ever of me changing my mind.

The car during its stay in India.
Classic & Youngtimer BMWs in India-img_0034.jpeg

More photographs of the car over the years.

The first two at Premier Inn London Heathrow and the third one while on a trip in Munich.
Classic & Youngtimer BMWs in India-24022010191.jpg

Classic & Youngtimer BMWs in India-24022010192.jpg

Classic & Youngtimer BMWs in India-05112009102.jpg
Mgup564 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 10:27   #47
BHPian

Re: Classic & Youngtimer BMWs in India

What a way to start a Sunday morning, by gazing at such a timeless beauty. The clean lines, the harmonious proportions, the four orange backlit analog dials and of course the classic titanium silver color.

Thanks for the post! Brought a smile to my face.

Probably the only car in all of the known universe that makes me envious .
lordrayden is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 13:15   #48
BHPian

The car that we all dreamed of getting in NFS Most Wanted
Kochikaran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 18:48   #49

A very nice car you have sir. This thread made my day!

Last edited by MSL07 : 6th August 2023 at 18:56.
MSL07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 22:18   #50
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful car, this very same car was my dream car (still is). In fact back in 2005, my userid on this very forum was E46M3!
The design is so timeless, the E90 onwards could never evoke the same kind of desire of owning a BMW in me. I vividly recall Top gear episode in which JC drives the iconic M3CSL in Isle of Man and getting baffled at the prospect of trunk made out of cardboard and no AC for 358hp.

I guess your M3 makes 343hp, isn’t it? Have a great time with your car (you already have considering that you drove in multiple continents ��). Alas my dream of owning this car remained a dream..

Cheers
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 22:39   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Thanks very much lordrayden, kochikaran, MSL07 and RJK!

Yes RJK, the engine makes 343 bhp. You can still buy a E46 M3 as there are many around. And realise your dream.

I would say even the E92/E93 M3 is not that bad that you cannot consider it. My brother had an E93 M3 here in New Delhi (I am sure they'd be some pictures of it somewhere on this website) and it was also pretty good and again, it also had a great engine. Different characteristics though, being a V8.
Mgup564 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks