Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 12:26   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi speedy, long time no hear
My understanding was that Corvette was not sold, it seems to be an open secret, and when displayed you normally don't see a name.
This Maharaja lives 7 minutes away from where I used to live, the Corvette used to be regularly excercised by his driver who used to wear a sort of "Beret" like cap. That Maharaja did not have an MG, to the best of my knowledge. There are more than 2 cars other with him, he had two 1959 Plymouth station wagons, a Caddy, Pontiac, maybe a Daimler, and probably more.

Cheers harit
The Corvette generally stands in the colectors enclosure at the Expo and does not make rally appearences from what i have seen, so does not need a owners name to be displayed.

I am only saying what the Maharaja's man friday told me. The green MG and corvette were bought for an ex sum. I had approached the Maharaja for the caddy but he was asking a ridiculous amount for it and mentioned to me too the Delhi collector was interested in purchasing it as he had bought his other cars. As per what i had last seen the Caddy (in shambles) and the Daimler (ok condition) at his residence. The other cars i have not seen there since the 90's.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:29   #1652
BHPian

I remember seeing a similar Corvette being restored at Mr. Zahir Vakil's workshop in Pune around 15 years ago. It was a light pale green colour then. Don't know if this is the same car. He did mention to me that the car belonged to some royal family.
Old 12th September 2012, 14:55   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Same car and belongs to Kutch . Around 1996 /97 it must have been there & then it came to bombay for a show at Police Gymkhana and then went to Delhi. Beautiful machine

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I remember seeing a similar Corvette being restored at Mr. Zahir Vakil's workshop in Pune around 15 years ago. It was a light pale green colour then. Don't know if this is the same car. He did mention to me that the car belonged to some royal family.
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 20:27   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi View Post
Spotted these 2 vintage cars being taken on flat bed trucks.
Although both were in bad condition i could not resist taking pics
These were bought by my friend recently. He already has a restored Austin Chummy.

Regarding the Mustang, the less said about it the better. It is completely buggered up as one can see from the dash and meters but thats not all. Look carefully, its a RHD???!!!

MAny mustangs were battered in the old days. See Adalat, Amitabh's old film where they ruined a perfectly pristine example and buggered it up.
Old 12th September 2012, 21:26   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
These were bought by my friend recently. He already has a restored Austin Chummy.
=======
MAny mustangs were battered in the old days. See Adalat, Amitabh's old film where they ruined a perfectly pristine example and buggered it up.
hey! Thanks for that info!
Restored the Austin chummy means refurbished the engine and everything?
Old 13th September 2012, 11:37   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..............Look carefully, its a RHD???!!! Many mustangs ................
Do you mean to say that Mustangs were not available in RHD? Well, as far as I know they were for special markets like the UK.

Cheers harit
Old 13th September 2012, 14:08   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi View Post
hey! Thanks for that info!
Restored the Austin chummy means refurbished the engine and everything?
Yes yes everything...Full too job

Quote:
Do you mean to say that Mustangs were not available in RHD? Well, as far as I know they were for special markets like the UK.

Cheers harit
Yes, as far as my limited knowledge goes but i am open for correction, at least till the 70's there were no official RHD Mustangs manufactured from the factory, not even for export. They were exported to the UK and Australia and im aware of an Australian law, that in Australia if they imported a LHD car the only way it could be driven on the road and be considered street legal, was if it was converted to a RHD, thats why any old 30-20 years old) vehicle you see in Australia which was imported way back is RHD. So just because there are older classic RHD Mustangs in Australia, imported way back, it does not mean they were made by Ford for export. Ford did not care about exports regarding the Mustang, they were selling the Mustang by the lakhs within America and other LHD countries in Europe and were working overtinme to meet local demand. Making a RHD version just for the UK and OZ would have not made sense, owing to the small numbers they would have to be made in.

A few years ago OZ laws have changed to let a classic (30 years and older...or is it 20 years, im not sure) retain its LHD status, earlier, they all had to be converted to RHD. Even today you will get Aussie manufactured RHD conversion kits for most classic Mustangs.

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, ill stand corrected.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:15   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Yes, as far as my limited knowledge goes but i am open for correction, at least till the 70's there were no official RHD Mustangs manufactured .....
Maybe you are right, and then maybe not. maybe Travancore can give some inputs from Ford. I have seen some GM cars as late as 1968 in RHD, apparently not converted and not Australian, and I always thought that some Mustangs were RHD. Lets wait for more comments, now I am really curious.

Cheers harit
Old 13th September 2012, 16:39   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, ill stand corrected.
Quote:
Maybe you are right, and then maybe not.
I believe, V-16 is right to the extent that Ford US probably never made RHD Mustangs for export.

Not sure about the UK, but in Australia most RHD cars were dealer converted with aftermarket kits. Bob Jane Motors was one of the more popular dealers that were into import and conversion of Mustangs in Australia.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-mustang2.jpg

However, Ford Australia did import and convert very few LHD mustangs to RHD in 1965 and 1966.
Probably, this was more of a marketing decision, to capitalise on the Mustang-mania at the time, to further the sales of the Falcon.
Here's a small write-up from ford.com

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-mustang.jpg
Old 13th September 2012, 19:02   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy

I believe, V-16 is right to the extent that Ford US probably never made RHD Mustangs for export.

Not sure about the UK, but in Australia most RHD cars were dealer converted with aftermarket kits. Bob Jane Motors was one of the more popular dealers that were into import and conversion of Mustangs in Australia.
Yes, V-16 is right. Back in those days, no Mustangs were made on RHD.

There are many garages specializing ONLY in LHD-RHD conversion in Oz. That is why it is still one of the most preferred destinations for conversion, the other being Dubai.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:34   #1661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Found this one on the dinoindia website. It has a Nagpur registration and is located in Mumbai now.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-hma85582.jpg

The car is not so commonly seen in the Mumbai rally circuits I believe! But this is a rally picture.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th September 2012 at 19:51.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 19:50   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

This is now in Bangalore and no more here. It was in Delhi for a while after Bombay.

CHeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Found this one on the dinoindia website. It is a Nagpur registration and is located in Mumbai now.

Attachment 985722

The car is not so commonly seen in the Mumbai rally circuits I believe! But this is a rally picture.
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 22:21   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Must have defintely been spotted earlier, but here it is again: spotted this Triumph in BLR, on Hosur Rd near Shoolay Cir.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-triumph1.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-triumph2.jpg
Old 15th September 2012, 00:39   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Must have defintely been spotted earlier, but here it is again: spotted this Triumph in BLR, on Hosur Rd near Shoolay Cir.
Looks like the front right wheel is out . Nice car was this green ever ?

Cheers
Old 15th September 2012, 06:44   #1665
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This car is owned by a BHPian who lives close to Shoolay Circle. The car is in regular use and you are most likely to spot it on Sunday mornings

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th September 2012 at 09:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks