Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 12:43   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingArt View Post
Has this car been mentioned before? Seems to be from The Titus Collection.
http://www.classicmotourist.blogspot...03/indien.html
This must be the Nash ex-Tandon?

Cheers harit
Old 24th July 2013, 12:44   #1997
BHPian

Quote:

http://www.classicmotourist.blogspot...03/indien.html
I'm assuming he's discussing the same car here.

1932 Auburn V12 – 160A, 4 Door Custom Phaeton Sedan

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/parts-ne...0a-282192.html
RollingArt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 14:23   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is the V12 Auburn from the Titus Collection.whats its current restorqation status

Harit, it says V12 on the wheel spinners. and that Nash they bought has opening doors on the bonnet for ventilation not slats like this one
Old 24th July 2013, 15:02   #1999
BHPian

Quote:

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/parts-ne...0a-282192.html
Hi Rollingart,

On opening your link, it seems as if there is an attempt to create an Auburn. Wanted parts include engine, body, dash, guages, wheels, soft top, etc etc.Is that correct?
Old 24th July 2013, 15:10   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Very nice. The Daimler appears to be a prewar DB18 and what is rare is the body style which is a Drophead Coupe

Cheers

KPS
Oh what a wonderful car this Daimler,
Which aspired to be a rare drophead,
What went wrong one may never know,
But its turned into something that should dropdead.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:09   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Rollingart,

On opening your link, it seems as if there is an attempt to create an Auburn. Wanted parts include engine, body, dash, guages, wheels, soft top, etc etc.Is that correct?
Hi Bulldogji,

I was hoping you would shed some light on the said Auburn. I believe the Auburn was found in a very bad state.

It also seems that the engine and some other parts have been sourced.
http://forums.aaca.org/f156/parts-re...0a-302419.html
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-bulldogji_auburn.jpg  

Old 25th July 2013, 11:16   #2002
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh what a wonderful car this Daimler,
Which aspired to be a rare drophead,
What went wrong one may never know,
But its turned into something that should dropdead.

LOL Bulldogji that was funny.

Was this car a two door sedan before it was chopped or four door converted to a 2 door drophead? Did DB18 come with fender mounted spare wheels?

Here is a picture of a 32 Drophead from the Net and the Hyderabad car for comparison. It appears that the Hyderabad car is fully re-bodied.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc01644.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-d1_32.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 13:15   #2003
BHPian

Hi KPS,

Delhi has seen a number of cars being converted into what was never meant to be.

Just compare the graceful lines of the picture posted by you with the red aberration.

Nothing more needs to be said. Sad that such conversions are carried out, but ultimately its upto the owner and what he wants his car to look like.

What amazes me is the fact that such cars seem to find buyers
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 14:12   #2004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Delhi has seen a number of cars being converted into what was never meant to be.
While I'm not too sure, I think the car sported the same bodywork before she reached Delhi, so not fair to blame Delhi for it She used to be blue and white in Pune.

That aside, I think KPS's picture shows a later car than the red one.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:35   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While I'm not too sure, I think the car sported the same bodywork before she reached Delhi, so not fair to blame Delhi for it She used to be blue and white in Pune.

That aside, I think KPS's picture shows a later car than the red one.

Whatever, ultimately someone liked the car enough to buy it, Hopefully the wheels will be changed to suit the body

A daimler, like any other old car, still running , is good enough for me.
Old 25th July 2013, 15:46   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Karl's reply below amplifies that this tendency to bracket Delhi, that I notice among non-Delhiites, is a tad unfair. There are funny Mustangs in Bombay (not to mention this Daimler being just across the Sahyadris in Poona first!!), unique bumpers and badge feasts in Calcutta, etc...

Quote:
What amazes me is the fact that such cars seem to find buyers
Bling is what attracts them, I suppose. I've often been told by people that keeping my cars understated, in pursuit of period correctness, will make it difficult to find buyers for them later. Maybe, I tell them, someday if I do up a classic ice-cream van, I'll put on the bells and whistles!!

A majority of the "collectors" at the nascency of the last goldrush for "vintage and classic" cars were new Johnnies, who had the moolah, but not much knowledge, while the sellers had the chutzpah to show them the glitter! Bejan Daruwalla might know if that'll change next time around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Spot on! The Daimler's medical tourism (for plastic surgery-cum-liposuction) was prior to arriving in Delhi. In Delhi, the grand ol' Dame received cosmetic attention, and the spokes in the works, er...I mean, in the wheels. And a fillip in the price, as per metro acreage rates!
Prabal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 16:20   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Karl's reply below amplifies that this tendency to bracket Delhi, that I notice among non-Delhiites, is a tad unfair. There are funny Mustangs in Bombay (not to mention this Daimler being just across the Sahyadris in Poona first!!), unique bumpers and badge feasts in Calcutta, etc...

A majority of the "collectors" at the nascency of the last goldrush for "vintage and classic" cars were new Johnnies, who had the moolah, but not much knowledge, while the sellers had the chutzpah to show them the glitter! Bejan Daruwalla might know if that'll change next time around!

!
Well said Prabal.

There seems to be an increasing tendency not only in Delhi, but all over the country, to buy an old car, tart it up, and sell it to people with money to spare.
I have seen sedans become convertibles, and when it was pointed out that the sedans were right hand drive whereas a corresponding convertible was a left hand drive, I was told that this was a rare one off right hand drive convertible car made for a Maharaja.

Fast forward to all the Shikar cars, some seen at Cartiers earlier this year, the poor animal would have been paralysed with the bling and oppulence making it easy for the Maharaja to take his shot. Let us not forget the stories/yarns spun, to increase value. Remember the Tiger Rolls with a cannon mounted?

The number of Maharaja cars, cars in which famous personalities sat in, etc etc. seem to outnumber all other old cars these days.

I wish I had kept my ambassador in which the late Indira Gandhi travelled . With the new breed of collectors, that would have fetched a price.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:00   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes, this is the V12 Auburn ......Harit, it says V12 on the wheel spinners......
Quote:
Hi Rollingart, On opening your link, it seems as if there is an attempt to create an Auburn......
Well, nice to finally see the car which I thought was being assembled from sourced components. Now that I see a photo, it seems to be a genuine find which was in bad condition. I feel that this car has been in Bombay some time of its life, and was in very reasonably good condition at that time. I always wondered where this car went. I saw this before 1975. So if someone can enlighten us about its journey and establish a link to Mumbai, maybe we can recap some history.
Sorry Wasif, my eyesight isn't that good any more, did not see the V-12. on the hubcaps.

Quote:
Hi KPS, Delhi has seen a number of cars being converted ......What amazes me is the fact that such cars seem to find buyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Quote:
Well said Prabal. There seems to be an increasing tendency not only in Delhi, but all over the country,..................
Prabalbhai, cars are being dolled up all over the country, and some with taste and some not. Delhi just happens to be more noticable, starting with those wire wheels. Mumbai even had a Contessa based Prowler!
In the end, its upto an owner to get his car done the way he wishes, (quote came from Kolkata), and a restorer to create what he thinks the market will demand/accept. Enthusiasts, collectors, "originalists" may not be the market

Back to the Auburn, lets hear some history.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 25th July 2013 at 17:16.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:01   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well said Prabal.

There seems to be an increasing tendency not only in Delhi, but all over the country, to buy an old car, tart it up, and sell it to people with money to spare.
I have seen sedans become convertibles, and when it was pointed out that the sedans were right hand drive whereas a corresponding convertible was a left hand drive, I was told that this was a rare one off right hand drive convertible car made for a Maharaja.

Fast forward to all the Shikar cars, some seen at Cartiers earlier this year, the poor animal would have been paralysed with the bling and oppulence making it easy for the Maharaja to take his shot. Let us not forget the stories/yarns spun, to increase value. Remember the Tiger Rolls with a cannon mounted?

The number of Maharaja cars, cars in which famous personalities sat in, etc etc. seem to outnumber all other old cars these days.

I wish I had kept my ambassador in which the late Indira Gandhi travelled . With the new breed of collectors, that would have fetched a price.
Seems we are at some convergence here, speaking on this matters on this forum touched many a nerves on tbhp these past 6 to 7 years. Whilst I pointed out that things were getting out of control, I was DISCOURAGED by old hands (only online on tbhp mind you) to not venture into this area (price!!). I find it seriously funny this should show up on a topic here now after the fact. As my jewish buddy in school used to say "What comes around goes around" I believe it does take collective maturity, responsibility, and TURE LOVE FOR PRESERVING CARS and not objectifying them to an extent which works againt creating a healthy scene. Much like the way we throw our garbage into the neighbours/common area as long as ours remain clean forgetting we live in the same environment (akin to a sty). Owning Classic/Vintage is not a poor mans past time, yet we set such glorious examples of conduct and behaviour completely unbecoming of a progressive state. I suppose it is to much to expect from the laggards we tend to be as a nation and the way we function, truly unfortunate, pathetic, non cooperative, and selfish/Greedy?! We should stop calling ourselves a democracy. Happy Hunting and cheerio

Last edited by canonball : 25th July 2013 at 17:06.
canonball is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:09   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Back to the Auburn, lets hear some history.

Cheers harit
You will have to be patient harit.

History is still being created
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed