Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 12:02   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: presidential FORD FAIRLANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Here is a FORD FAIRLANE limousine supposed to have been part of the PRESIDENT'S fleet

Ajay,

Is this car based in Kerala ? I know of a similar car in Kerala, which was imported from Singapore (Aussie Ford Fairlane Limo - 1986 model) by one of the prominent traditional business families in Kerala, who also has business interests both in Middle East and Singapore.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:08   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Re: presidential FORD FAIRLANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay,

Is this car based in Kerala ? I know of a similar car in Kerala, which was imported from Singapore (Aussie Ford Fairlane Limo - 1986 model) by one of the prominent traditional business families in Kerala, who also has business interests both in Middle East and Singapore.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
This car is definitely not in Kerala.First time I am hearing about the 1986 Ford fairlane limo.Was it in Trivandrum? any idea abt the registration number?
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 13:50   #2058
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Just found this article on the net -''TOP TEN CAR COLLECTORS IN INDIA'.
dont know abt its accuracy

'The top three car collectors in India are Vijay Mallya, Pranlal Bhogilal and Sharad Sanghi apart from other small collectors.Here is the roll of top 10 collectors of car, primarily vintage or classic, in India.
  • Dr. Vijay Mallya
UB Group chief has a collection of over 260 cars universally which made him form his own car museum. Apart from these, he has an assortment of about 45 vintage and classic cars. A distinguished businessman, Mallya, upholds this huge collection out of his love for cars.
  • Pranlal Bhogilal
The renowned industrialist Mr. Bhogilal has an extensive collection of vintage exquisiteness, all of which are in working condition till date. Pranlal Bhogilal has a possession of 240 vintage and classic cars out of which 90 have been shifted to his private museum at Ahmadabad.
  • Sharad Sanghi
Mr. Sharad Sanghi is addicted to cars. He has a collection of close to 130 cars. His first car was a Daimler that was once driven by King George V. Sharad Sanghi’ tremendous love for cars has made him so addictive towards his cars collection.
  • Manujendra Shah
At the time of Auto Expo, around 100 vintage cars and 50 vintage motorcycles & scooters were drawn out of the palatial residence of Manujendra Shah, ex- regal from the house of Tehri Garhwal.
  • Diljeet Titus
Mr. Titus, an advocate by profession and vintage car collector-restorer, has an esteemed collection of almost 46 vintage and classic cars from the by-gone era. The heart-throbbing of all these is '36 Minerva of Belgium, which is thought to be one of the eight existing on the planet.
  • Dharmaditya Patnaik
Dharmaditya Patnaik of Bhubaneswar has a royal collection of 35 classic cars. Out of 35 vintage beauties, two of them are striking Rolls-Royce 20hp of Maharanas of Udaipur and Mercedes Benz 630 owned by Alexandrajeet Singh.
  • Poonawala Family
For the Poonawala family, collecting vintage cars is “in their blood”, as told by Yohan Poonawala. The family has an armada of 25 vintage majestic beauties. The Pune-based family is the oldest vintage car collectors among all.
  • Zaheer Vakil
Born with a passion to collect cars, especially vintage, Mr. Zaheer Vakil has a fleet of 20 vintage cars. Among the 20 splendid cars, some of the prized assets are a 1947 Chrysler, Windsor and a 1947 Buick, Super Convertible.
  • Sukhwant Singh
Sukhwant Singh is an Indore-based car fanatic having a possession of 7 vintage and classic cars. He says, “No one is born with the vintage car bug. You take it up along the way, like any passion”. He also believes that vintage cars a beauty, just to look at, like an ornament.
  • Wasia Ibrahim
Mr. Wasia Ibrahim is a proud owner of 5 vintage cars, one of which includes A Silver Ghost. His passion for cars compels him to take decision to buy even more cars.
kishorelal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 11:00   #2059
Senior - BHPian

i add that :

Respected Dharmadhikari Sri Veerendra Heggade of Dharmasthala ( near Mangalore ) has an impressive vintage automobile collection and they are always on exhibition.

Dr Ravi Prakash, Bangalore too has a large collection of vintage cars .
Old 26th August 2013, 11:09   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Just found this article on the net -''TOP TEN CAR COLLECTORS IN INDIA'.dont know abt its accuracy
There are members on our forum that have more than 10 vintage cars . I wonder how a person with 5 or 7 cars gets on the top 10 car collectors in India list, i guess there was no home work done by the person who made this. Plus some of the collection nombers dont seem right, VJM with 260 cars and his museum ???

Last edited by speedy : 26th August 2013 at 11:11.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 19:18   #2061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
There are members on our forum that have more than 10 vintage cars . I wonder how a person with 5 or 7 cars gets on the top 10 car collectors in India list, i guess there was no home work done by the person who made this. Plus some of the collection numbers dont seem right, VJM with 260 cars and his museum ???
Right you are speedy. there are many other vintage car collectors based in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Nagpur (Shri Arun Upadhayay), Mumbai (our own Shri Harit Trivedi, Shri Nitin Dossa, Shri Goenka etc) and elsewhere, who own dozens of them. Their names should be aptly featured in the list.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 03:58   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Right you are speedy. there are many other vintage car collectors based in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Nagpur (Shri Arun Upadhayay), Mumbai (our own Shri Harit Trivedi, Shri Nitin Dossa, Shri Goenka etc) and elsewhere, who own dozens of them. Their names should be aptly featured in the list.
Mr Mallya's collection, most of it displayed at his location in Sausalito , California, is indeed a a serious collection. However, it seems as if it had been a museum of race cars , well organized and well maintained and Mr. Mallya bought it. Our discussion , in this forum , is how a very dedicated group of individuals have gone on and collected, restored and displayed the invaluable wealth of classic motor cars within India. To locate, restore and lovingly share the beauty of these automobiles with other collectors or admirers is a mission these gentlemen have have spent a lifetime for and continue to do so happily. There is a difference in creating a museum of pieces of historical significance and simply buying one. My hat is still off to late Bhogilal, Dossa, Titus and several others mentioned in this forum.
Old 30th August 2013, 17:58   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Just found this article on the net -''TOP TEN CAR COLLECTORS IN INDIA'. dont know abt its accuracy
'The top three car collectors in India are Vijay Mallya, Pranlal Bhogilal and Sharad Sanghi .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
i add that : Respected Dharmadhikari Sri Veerendra Heggade of Dharmasthala ( near Mangalore ) .... Dr Ravi Prakash, Bangalore .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
There are members on our forum that have more than 10 vintage cars . I wonder how a person with 5 or 7 cars gets on the top 10 car collectors in India list, i guess there was no home work done by the person ...???............
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
........ there are many other vintage car collectors based in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Nagpur (Shri Arun Upadhayay), Mumbai ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Mr Mallya's collection, most of it displayed at his location in Sausalito , California, is indeed a a serious collection. .............
I checked the link, the article is from 2009 and there were no further conversations. In fact it is dicussed more on t-bhp.
The article has no depth, has not been researched well, and since 2009 there are changes. More collectors have arrived, some collections have expanded, others have been upgraded, some have become more focussed, and some have been reduced or almost disbanded. Discussion on collections is often speculative because all contents are often not known. Another aspect is "car collection", but this does not automatically mean vintage and classic cars. Some collect Jeeps, others sports cars, and offroad vehicles. These are collections too, different categories.
Many prominent collections were left out, there are collections in Rajasthan, and two or more very prominent collections in Delhi.
In my eyes these sort of articles do not have much value.
This is strictly my opinion.

Cheers harit

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd September 2013 at 11:07. Reason: edited as suggested
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:21   #2064
Senior - BHPian

While browsing through CLASSIFIEDS I came across this advt for a BMW, I noted a parked & presumably forgotten classic car in the background.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...7-Series.html/

What is that car in back ground in below photo? Anyone knows that car?
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-picture_53680.jpg

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 11th September 2013 at 10:23. Reason: Grammer
Old 11th September 2013, 10:26   #2065
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Attachment 1137071

Raab rakha.
Should be an early 60's Ford Falcon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(North_America)

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:28   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
While browsing through CLASSIFIEDS I came across this advt for a BMW, I noted a parked & presumably forgotten classic car in the background.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...7-Series.html/

Raab rakha.
Could it be the rear of a 60s Ford Falcon ?
Old 13th September 2013, 20:26   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Here is an AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE Estate .Although sedans are common,stationwagons are rare in INDIA,is it not so?
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1379049187_544933872_1picturesofaustincambrigea55.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1379049187_544933872_2austincambrigea55srinagar.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:08   #2068
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Quiet desireable I would say with it being a Coupe and having a V8, please post more pics of the car

Here are some nice pics of the car for you sir.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-311084_442274089197042_1640926995_n.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-391034_442274092530375_701862678_n.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02421.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02451.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02441.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:46   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Here are some nice pics of the car for you sir.
Wow, now this is surely a collectable car, the front three quarter view is awesome.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:48   #2070
Team-BHP Support

Mysore Paper mills used to have an older version of this coupe. A friend of mines father (IAS officer) used to be the MD and used to be driven around in this. I wonder what happened to it
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks