Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 16:47   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this in Mysore. I gather this is a Morris(?). Additional details would be much appreciated.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140121_164552.png
Views: 3065
Size:  799.6 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 18:58   #2192
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Spotted this in Mysore. I gather this is a Morris(?). Additional details would be much appreciated.
That looks to be a Vauxhall Velox / Wyvern (1948 - 52?)
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:27   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Lovely cars RMan,

But you forgot to click the studebaker and the 170V mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sure, the Packard is a beauty, and so is the Caddy. The Bettle is nice too. The Study is a 2-door, relatively rare in India.
Some more of the Packard, Caddy and the Beetle.

And as asked, the Studebaker and the 170V
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3464.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3466.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3475.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3488.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3489.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3492.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3494.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3512.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3535.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3549.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3555.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3560.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3562.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3564.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3570.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3572.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3575.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3576.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3518.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3462.jpg  

Last edited by ///RMan : 22nd January 2014 at 01:37.
///RMan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:08   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That looks to be a Vauxhall Velox / Wyvern (1948 - 52?)
I couldn't resist paying another visit to the old lady. It is indeed a Vauxhall.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390386922587.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390386939657.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390386955969.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390386972638.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390386989478.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390387005238.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390387054228.jpg  

schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:42   #2195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't resist paying another visit to the old lady. It is indeed a Vauxhall.
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:39   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
Oh! The owner of the garage where this car is getting repaired has promised to show me a couple of old Fiats that are for sale. I'll try and find out the history of the Vauxhall when I meet him.
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:47   #2197
BHPian

Quote:

Oh! The owner of the garage where this car is getting repaired has promised to show me a couple of old Fiats that are for sale. I'll try and find out the history of the Vauxhall when I meet him.
There used to be so many of these vauxhall cars running as taxis in my home town Coonoor, Nilgiris district, during my school days way back in 1980's. Now I dont see any of them, dont know where did all those cars go!
Next visit to my home town will try to find out the whereabouts of these cars.
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:59   #2198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This model of Vauxhall competed with the then mid sized Hillman Minx, Austin A 40 Devon (the Somerset came soon after) and Morris Oxford MO Series then. All had column shift gears.The British car industry was at its zenith then.
A similar Vauxhall with a column shift gear lever with a black knob positioned at the lower left

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc03640.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc03536.jpg

(clicked at a Rally at Nagpur)
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:22   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

A similar Vauxhall with a column shift gear lever with a black knob positioned at the lower left
Attachment 1195615
I thought that the steering wheel in the car I had spotted was a transplant. But after viewing the pic that you have shared, it appears that only the 'horn cap' is a transplant. The wheel itself is OE.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390387005238.jpg
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:13   #2200
BHPian

Someone please enlighten me :

1. This Vauxhall and the older models came with two engines, four and six cylinder , both OHV. Were these not called Velox & Wyvern ?

2. Was the Contessa a descendent of the Vauxhall ? We know that Vauxhall was acquired by GM and many models followed the Velox & Wyvern.
GM owns Opel and Holden , too. I recall the similarity between Holden and Contessa. In the 60s many Holden cars were imported from Australia by several Asian
African embassies. The similarity between Holden and Contessa , wish came from HM much later did indicate perhaps a common ancestry.
3. Australia is home to Ford of Australia , where Falcon was produced as Fairmont. It was a much fancier model than the US version. Ford foundation in New Delhi
imported a bunch of them. In 1965 , I had occasion to ride in one of the Fairmonts. AC, Automatic Transmission, front disc brakes , a straight OHV 6 engine and
Power everything .
Then I came to US and saw US version. What a let down ! This one was such a plain Jane, it was pathetic. The Australian won hands down ? I suppose Ford still
makes a better mid and low end car down-under . Of course, Japanese cars have made a big dent all over the world, specially in the 4wheel drive segment, having
cornered the market with the Landcruiser. Land Rover is now the second best .
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:38   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Someone please enlighten me : 1. This Vauxhall and the older models came with two engines, four and six cylinder , both OHV. Were these not called Velox & Wyvern ? 2. Was the Contessa a descendent of the Vauxhall ? We know that Vauxhall was acquired by GM and many models followed the Velox & Wyvern. GM owns Opel and Holden , too. I recall the similarity between Holden and Contessa. In the 60s many Holden cars were imported from Australia by several Asian African embassies. The similarity between Holden and Contessa , wish came from HM much later did indicate perhaps a common ancestry. 3. Australia is home to Ford of Australia , where Falcon was produced as Fairmont. It was a much fancier model than the US version. Ford foundation in New Delhi imported a bunch of them. In 1965 , I had occasion to ride in one of the Fairmonts. AC, Automatic Transmission, front disc brakes , a straight OHV 6 engine and Power everything . Then I came to US and saw US version. What a let down ! This one was such a plain Jane, it was pathetic. The Australian won hands down ? I suppose Ford still makes a better mid and low end car down-under . Of course, Japanese cars have made a big dent all over the world, specially in the 4wheel drive segment, having cornered the market with the Landcruiser. Land Rover is now the second best .
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-image2608991264.jpg

Holden Premier

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-image3678370023.jpg

Hindustan Contessa
Old 24th January 2014, 00:09   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone please enlighten me :

1. ....came with two engines, four and six cylinder , both OHV. Were these not called Velox & Wyvern ?

2. Was the Contessa a descendent of the Vauxhall ?
GM owns Opel and Holden , ......60s many Holden cars were imported from Australia by several Asian
African embassies. The similarity between Holden and Contessa , wish came from HM much later did indicate perhaps a common ancestry.
3. Australia is home to Ford of Australia ,........
Quote:
Holden Premier
Hindustan Contessa
1)yes, both 4 and 6 cylinders, both Velox and Wyvern were made, both sold in India.

2) GM aquired Vauxhall in 1925, Opel in 1929. Opel factories were bomber by the allies during WW II. But what is your point? I don't get it. Did you have a Contessa? We had one, I still have the car, and I can tell you that I enjoyed it very much, loved it, and would drive it again yesterday!! The Contessa used old Vauxhall Victor (approx 1978) body dies, even the key blanks had the Vauxhall crest on them. Initially they were fitted with Amby engines, then came Isuzu Petrol followed by Isuzu diesel. But 4 cylinder, the Vauxhall Victor was also available in 6 cylinder. There was an obscene amount of extra space under the bonnet. Isuzu was also a GM product. In fact I had an Opel Record of around 1978, the fuel tank and other select items were interchangeable with those of a Contessa. GM owned Holden which started as a body building co in Australia, Buick, LaSalle, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Marquette, Pontiac, Chevrolet, and must be some more. Many Holdens were imported to India by foreign embassies and other agencies simply because these were luxurious cars in RHD.

3) Ford Australia almost had only 8 cylinder cars till the oil crisis, I had an LTD which came from Australia in RHD, originally belonged to the Austrian Embassy, European, so not only Asian and African. These cars came in well into the 70's. If these were 2-door vehicles they would have been muscle cars. Australian Ford muscle cars are also collectible today.

Apparently, Vauxhall sold cars in India in significant numbers in the 1950's, prewar sales in India were more by Opel.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 01:18   #2203
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is
Experts, please take over
Attached Images

///RMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 01:41   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is Experts, please take over
It is a Cadillac Fleetwood formal limousine. It is most likely 1955, although it could be 1956 but definitely not 1957. If we had a photo of the front, we could be certain of the year. It looks well maintained ( not dieselised, I trust).

Almost sixty years old, seems good condition, no blue smoke out of the twin exhausts in the back bumper . Owner is obviously a car cover !

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th January 2014 at 12:19. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 24th January 2014, 08:34   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is Experts, please take over
1955 Series 75 , the Syedna's car of the bohri community. Modified for the leader here but I am sure it has some expert hands looking after it

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks