Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 00:02   #886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Speedy you couldn't resist letting them pics out of you phone - finally
Here generally if you dont give proof then people think your talking off your hat so i thought best is to put a confirmation picture of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
In light of the fact that you may be its future owner, if was you i would start taking care of the car from now itself.

A good wash once or twice a week could go a great distance in protecting the value of the car
I dont think you go cleaning showrooms or other arcticles belonging to others when you aspire to buy them or give an offer to buy them. When it is yours you would clean it even 5 times a day if need be .

Till then if you want to send someone down to Bombay to have the car cleaned to protect its value please feel free to do so. I can pay for his travel, accomodation and services if it is inconvinient to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hey Speedy bhaiya whilst you are at it mere ghar bhi do teen gadiyo ki dhulayi karna I want to increase value sar
Hahaha nice one, mujhe kya car cleaner samjha hain kya . (do you think i'm a car cleaner or what)

Quote:
He just might but you would have to put your money where your mouth ususlly is and commit to selling your cars to him !
His cars are like mine anyways so no issues.
Old 6th May 2010, 01:07   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
Here is a Lincoln spotted by a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
He spotted it in Chennai

Can you please tell me the Registration number of the car that has been blanked out and when was this picture taken by your friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Anybody care to shed some light on the marque?
This is a late 1940's Buick super 8. If you tell me the registration number i can tell you who owns this car.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:27   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Here generally if you dont give proof then people think your talking off your hat so i thought best is to put a confirmation picture of the car.

I dont think you go cleaning showrooms or other arcticles belonging to others when you aspire to buy them or give an offer to buy them. When it is yours you would clean it even 5 times a day if need be .

Till then if you want to send someone down to Bombay to have the car cleaned to protect its value please feel free to do so. I can pay for his travel, accomodation and services if it is inconvinient to you.

Hahaha nice one, mujhe kya car cleaner samjha hain kya . (do you think i'm a car cleaner or what)

His cars are like mine anyways so no issues.
Obviously your passion for the car doesn't run deep enough.

I know people who have sent someone over to look after a car that was up for auction a year later knowing that they are keen on the car but not sure if they will be the highest bid. Even them they would see that the car was looked after.

That is passion !
Old 6th May 2010, 14:49   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Obviously your passion for the car doesn't run deep enough.

I know people who have sent someone over to look after a car that was up for auction a year later knowing that they are keen on the car but not sure if they will be the highest bid. Even them they would see that the car was looked after.

That is passion !
No it does not, if this is how you would valuate someones passion.

I guess you have been out of india for a real long time, and please give me examples of in India, not abroad. I dont even mean for people who know each other but complete strangers who have done this. If you do go to do something like this for someone elses car today in India, your either taken for someone who has come to steal bits from the car or it gives an excuss for someone to steal parts from the car and you get accused for it. So i rather do what i have to when and if i do buy the car. I have asked the owners to have it cleaned but all i can do is request nothing more.

So when are you sending someone down to Bombay to clean the car. Talking is a different thing doing is another Wasif. Guess your passion does not run atall.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:23   #890
Senior - BHPian

If I was hoping to buy this car believe me I would have someone look after it in the absence of its owners.

The example I gave youw as in Hyderabad. The car was a Chrysler 300C being auctioned by Osmania University.

This gent, a very dedicated collector, went to look at it and found he really liked it.

In order that it be safe and intact he would send his drive over daily to look after the car.

He then place multiple bids on it, we were also bidding on it, and finally his bids won.

Now he is the happy owner of the only 300C in India, that too intact and not vandalised or anything.

Oh BTW I used to live in a building in South Pasadena where a lady lived who's husband left her an MGB. She didn't want to sell it and just kepr it parked in her slot in the rear of the building.

There was this guy who befriended her and asked her to sell it. She wouldn't do so but indicated that if she ever sold it it would be to him.

So this guy would come over once in two months, wash the car, fill air in its tires and then sit for a cup of tea with the owner.

He started this routine in 1989 and believe me he is still doing the same today. The lady has still not sold him the car and it has not left that garage in 28 years now.

This is dedication and passion for a car and all it is a single owner MGB convertible.

Also I don't recollect offering to send ayone over to look after this car so why would I do so.

Last edited by wasif : 6th May 2010 at 15:24.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:28   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I was hoping to buy this car believe me I would have someone look after it in the absence of its owners.
Passion does not come only if you want to buy a car it is there otherwise too, you know.

Quote:
The example I gave youw as in Hyderabad. The car was a Chrysler 300C being auctioned by Osmania University.

This gent, a very dedicated collector, went to look at it and found he really liked it.

In order that it be safe and intact he would send his drive over daily to look after the car.
Thats the difference between a collector and an enthusiast. He did what he did seeing the value of the car or the value it would fetch and not for the love of it. I am doing it for the love of it and not the value involved. So if that means spending a little extra later on i am ok with it. See the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif,1872556
He then place multiple bids on it, we were also bidding on it, and finally his bids won.
So how come you did not send someone to clean and wash the car? Preaching and prescribing is simple doing is harder right.

Quote:
Now he is the happy owner of the only 300C in India, that too intact and not vandalised or anything.
Thats cause he was sending his guy there everyday to make sure nothing got stolen from the car and not to literally clean it. Protecting his future investment was in mind. An enthusast would say let anything go from the car and i will bring it back to its original glory at all costs.

Quote:
Oh BTW I used to live in a building in South Pasadena where a lady lived who's husband left her an MGB. She didn't want to sell it and just kepr it parked in her slot in the rear of the building.

There was this guy who befriended her and asked her to sell it. She wouldn't do so but indicated that if she ever sold it it would be to him.

So this guy would come over once in two months, wash the car, fill air in its tires and then sit for a cup of tea with the owner.

He started this routine in 1989 and believe me he is still doing the same today. The lady has still not sold him the car and it has not left that garage in 28 years now.

This is dedication and passion for a car and all it is a single owner MGB convertible.
I dont know the owners as friends and yes if it were my friends cars i dont ask them i send people over to clean and service the car and take it for drives too. Filling the tank to full even if i am going to drive it for 1kms, with no intension of even buying the car now or in the future. Thats the difference, i dont make friends with people for their cars or with any other motive in mind. 28 years the car is with the same lady and in the same place and this person still goes to clean it knowing one day it will be his. I call it being selfish on the persons side and not love or passion for the car or care for the lady in any way.

So tell me what have you done, cause all you are doing is giving others examples. I atleast pick up cars that i have seen with the sole intention of getting them to their former glory and to see them drive the streets once again and nothing else.

Quote:
Also I don't recollect offering to send ayone over to look after this car so why would I do so.
You did suggest. So if you had passion for the cars you would have sent someone down to have it cleaned instead of asking someone else to do it. There is a saying you should always put your money where the mouth is and i see you like useing this proverb loosely. So you should ask others to do only what you can do. Cheers.

Last edited by speedy : 6th May 2010 at 16:30.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:16   #892
Senior - BHPian

There is always scope to argue on anythign and it appearsthe point I was making is lost here.

And then we have the others ........
Old 6th May 2010, 21:03   #893
BANNED

Some of the posts give an idea about the line of thinking towed by various folks on here with regards to passion for vintage cars.

We have one group for whom passion is defined by the love for the car and the other in terms of adding it to a collection.

The same division is clearly seen in the Valuation Thread. Just my view.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:02   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is always scope to argue on anythign and it appearsthe point I was making is lost here.

And then we have the others ........
What you call "argue" i call a debate. The point you were making was in terms of monetary value of the car being lost and very simply i was saying the love for the car will never let it get lost.

Yes we could in your words "argue on anything" cause you dont know the owners and where they come from, i do to an extent but not to the point where i can call him my friend or bum chum of mine. So first listen or in this case read and then say things for the heck of saying it.

It does not make one a smaller person by admiting his mistake, but i guess the Ego wont let them see the light or understand some owners and want to make them prove a point which is completly not related to the actual topic here. The ROLLS ROYCE SILVER SPUR II.

I think we have wasted enough posts on your car wash idea. so lets pour a bucket of water on this and discuss other cars that are seen. No hard feelings cheers.
Old 7th May 2010, 03:59   #895
BHPian

As long as all is done in good spirit of debate then is fine. We are all mates here so with common interest..... cars cars and more cars

Cheers

Not trying to be a smart *** here

Last edited by Dippy : 7th May 2010 at 12:29. Reason: Post edited. Only two smilies per post allowed. Please go through the Rules. Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 09:46   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

A once common sight in Pondicherry - the Citroen Traction Avant

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-5201.jpg

The Hindu : Life & Style / Metroplus : Traction Avant's many avatars
Old 13th May 2010, 09:56   #897
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A once common sight in Pondicherry - the Citroen Traction Avant

Attachment 347529

The Hindu : Life & Style / Metroplus : Traction Avant's many avatars
Can someone in that locality ask the owner to get rid of those VW indicators on the so damn clean citreon.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:02   #898
Senior - BHPian

What about the horn....Can he keep that ?
Old 13th May 2010, 10:18   #899
BANNED

Quote:
What about the horn....Can he keep that ?
Let that Jalwa be there sir.

What a clean car . That man deserves a
Old 13th May 2010, 10:25   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Let that Jalwa be there sir.
That isn't any Jalwa - looks to be genuine Bosch/Hella Fanfare - should be a pair though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks