Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 22:56   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Austin-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
............. My father was droping filmstar Waheed Rahman's nephew to Begumpet airport from Banjara Hills Road No. 8, he like very much our Austin-7 and insist on buying, so we sold to him, but he requested to drive to Bombay, so it was driven to his home in Bombay. He also purchase from my uncle other cars, Hillman 1928, Jaguar, Mercedes, Dodge all cars were driven to Bombay. I don't know our Austin-7 survive in his collection or not.........Cheers!
Hi Vintagepoint! Are you sure that it was a Hillman? My memory says that it was a Humber, not a Hillman. It was a tourer, very complete, but paint was bad. I saw this and the Austin 7, both APX registered. I was told about the Mercedes, but have not seen and have no idea about the Jag and Dodge.
And the cars were supposed to have been driven from Hyderabad. All the cars were sold, no idea where they have gone. I have never seen another Humber like that in India. Do you have any pictures?

Cheers harit
Old 7th October 2011, 23:19   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Can somebody help me with the model please?!
Courtesy : Yagnik Reddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-yagnik-reddy.jpg  

shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 09:52   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn
Can somebody help me with the model please?!
Courtesy : Yagnik Reddy.
Healey sprite , nice car and shade
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 00:43   #1399
BHPian

Hi Vintagepoint! Are you sure that it was a Hillman? My memory says that it was a Hum

Hi Harit bhai, I was very happy to hear from you about our cars my long search to locate these cars. Atleast we are getting some leads, yes I am sure it was Hillman belongs to our uncle. Yes Hillman was complete but in very bad appearance, the colour was black mudguard and grey body, the colour was faded with cracks all over, canvas top was tournout. It was very rare Hillman never seen like this model again. Very close car it was once seen in Hillman Thread some mechanic was selling in Madras blue/black.Yes both Austin & Hillman were APX numbers, Austin-7 (APX 6535) it was blue colour before but painted new light grey before it was driven to Bombay.Mercedes and Jag were 50's model but very elegant car, I have very faint memory about these cars. Dodge was full black tourer very rare, I have picture somewhere will try to find it. About this Dodge my uncle told me that this car does not have battery it runs on magnetic system, I was very small kid at that time, I did not understand what its means then. All cars driven by 2 uncles, my father and his friends and one old mechanic,I learned that Austin did not give any trouble at all. My uncle by mistakewhile driving Dodge shifted to reverse gear while car moving in forward gearsthe car goes back immediately nothing happened gearbox did not damage.The name of filmstar Waheeda Rahman's nephew was Aleem, he was a nice gentlemen have visited our home.Would be glad to hear more about these cars, if Mr. Aleem can be contacted please try to seek more details. While all my uncles passed away now, so I cannot get any more details now.Cheers!
Old 13th October 2011, 14:53   #1400
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this beautiful Lincoln in Bangalore last sunday. Not sure which model and year though.

Looks majestic and has sheer size. Dwarfs almost everything on road.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc00450.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc00451.jpg  

//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 15:32   #1401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw this beautiful Lincoln in Bangalore last sunday. Not sure which model and year though.

That's a Lincoln V12. Same car can be seen here.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:30   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Its a 47 or 48 Lincoln V12 Sedan.

There is an earlier model of thsi car in Hyderabad as well that features push button door handles, you push the button adn the dor which is spring loaded springs open....very classy.

Last edited by wasif : 13th October 2011 at 19:31.
Old 14th October 2011, 08:06   #1403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This would be a late 40s Lincoln Continental. BTW, does this have a Madras regn. MSP 3331?? We had a Lincoln with that number in our family, owned by one of my mom's uncles in Madras. He was a well-known advocate then and basically had a wealthy background, was apparently the only one among our relatives to own a car back then! He had the car until the mid 60s when he sold it after an accident. I was told that it was one of just 2 such cars in Madras back then.

Long time indeed since I posted here, my net at home has been down (again!) and this time since its BSNL, it'll take atleast another week or more longer! I keep browsing the forum from my work PC but cant afford to log in too often...!

Last edited by Stanher : 14th October 2011 at 08:09.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:15   #1404
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This would be a late 40s Lincoln Continental. BTW, does this have a Madras regn. MSP 3331?? We had a Lincoln with that number in our family, owned by one of my mom's uncles in Madras. He was a well-known advocate then and basically had a wealthy background, was apparently the only one among our relatives to own a car back then! He had the car until the mid 60s when he sold it after an accident. I was told that it was one of just 2 such cars in Madras back then.
This car didn't had a Madras registration. It had BMY plates. There was a pic of a black Lincoln in this thread long back which was spotted in Chennai. I guess the post #857 in this page:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-india-58.html
Old 14th October 2011, 18:27   #1405
BHPian

MSP3331, the Lincoln, was owned by late Mr.S.Anantharamakrishnan of Amalgamations. Besides this he also had a Jag MSZ 73331. Both these cars are not with the family at present. However their Plymouth MSC 7331 is still with them. I know for sure because my company TEAMCSA maintains their collections
Old 16th October 2011, 12:37   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Harit bhai, I was very happy to hear from you about our cars my long search to locate these cars. Atleast we are getting some leads, yes I am sure it was Hillman belongs to our uncle .........Cheers!
Hi Vintagepoint5, but I am also quite sure that it was a Humber, exactly as you described her.
Never mind, I will try to get in touch with them, I knew the youngest brother of the buyer very well. I did ask him occasionally, but he never knew the fate of the cars. They must have landed in some collection. Will try again to find out more.

Quote:
Saw this beautiful Lincoln in Bangalore ...........
This was a Mumbai car, belonged to a Parsi gent, sold to Indore (maybe an exchange deal), went on to Pune, now Bangalore. Majestic car indeed, V12 and all. There used to be a similar Lincoln in Mumbai but a coupe with V12 engine, the car was let to rot by the owner and became a parts car

Cheers harit
Old 16th October 2011, 17:05   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit

Hi Vintagepoint5, but I am also quite sure that it was a Humber, exactly as you described her.
Never mind, I will try to get in touch with them, I knew the youngest brother of the buyer very well. I did ask him occasionally, but he never knew the fate of the cars. They must have landed in some collection. Will try again to find out more.

This was a Mumbai car, belonged to a Parsi gent, sold to Indore (maybe an exchange deal), went on to Pune, now Bangalore. Majestic car indeed, V12 and all. There used to be a similar Lincoln in Mumbai but a coupe with V12 engine, the car was let to rot by the owner and became a parts car

Cheers harit
A point of correction being that this also went to a prominent collection in delhi for a while. The coupe as mentioned sadly is an has been scrapped. The convertible is still in good shape and seen on the road recently. the engine of the coupe via via is with moi

Cheers
Old 17th October 2011, 07:53   #1408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
MSP3331, the Lincoln, was owned by late Mr.S.Anantharamakrishnan of Amalgamations.
I remember you mentioning this before. However, I have repeatedly clarified with my maternal uncle in Madras and he has confirmed that our Lincoln was indeed MSP 3331. Maybe it was acquired by Mr. Anantharamakrishnan at a later stage. It was in our family until the mid 60s I was told.

Last edited by Stanher : 17th October 2011 at 08:03.
Old 17th October 2011, 08:54   #1409
BHPian

There is definitely some confusion about this. Persons who knew of Mr.Anantharamakrishnan's cara are still around.I shall check with them & revert
Old 17th October 2011, 10:15   #1410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
There is definitely some confusion about this. Persons who knew of Mr.Anantharamakrishnan's cara are still around.I shall check with them & revert
Sure, please try and find out if he purchased it from the family of R.Gopalsamy Iyengar, who was a well-known criminal lawyer in Madras back then. I will also try and contact my uncle and ask if he remembers who the car was sold to.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks