Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 12:59   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

I saw this car for the first time in Jaipur during Diwali last year. At that time there was no rally, and she was parked in a beautiful palace type Hotel in the middle of Jaipur which somehow has not been noticed much. The tank on the mudguard is for the radiator overflow.
About the carnet, it does not matter whether extended or not, maybe she is in India on her next carnet. Lovely car, great adventure, and tasty eye candy.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 02:36   #2117
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Which car is this? Belongs to a collector in Ranchi.
Attached Images

//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 06:10   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Which car is this? Belongs to a collector in Ranchi.
It is a Wolseley , I believe 1947 or so. Looks good from the front. What about the rest ? If the front is so good, the rest is bound to be good , too. Please
Find out more. Good discovery ,
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:49   #2119
BHPian

Here is a photo of 1947 Wollseley from the net :Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1947-wollsley.jpg
Old 19th December 2013, 18:12   #2120
Distinguished - BHPian

The Impala clicked at the Vintage car show and the Beetle during just another random drive on the Sealink, with the Packard Clipper for company

Photography by Saurabh Jadhav
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-944665_480389962032081_1329922423_n.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-427919_469712529766491_1052258000_n.jpg  

///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 22:08   #2121
BHPian

Dodge kingsway with red beacon spotted by my friend in lucknow. It belongs to some vip because an armed guard was also present in the car.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131219_220657.png
Views: 3251
Size:  296.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131219_220710.png
Views: 2396
Size:  238.9 KB
rachitagarwal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 09:54   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachitagarwal View Post
Dodge kingsway with red beacon spotted by my friend in lucknow. It belongs to some vip because an armed guard was also present in the car.
This car is not a VIP car. It is a very poorly maintained relic of a by-gone era. At one time it may have served as a VIP carriage. The covered pale on the rear bumper
Is probably indicative of it being a staff car in the military where that plate would have suitable insignia of the rank of the officer riding the car. The front wheel , missing its wheel cover, is smaller than the rear wheel ( which is way oversize for this car) . On closer look you can see filler and a third rate body work on the rocker panel, around the doors and the wheel wells. Our Ambassador took over the assignment of Sarkari transportation long ago. No minister or officer would be found traveling in a 1956-57 Dodge Kingsway in 2013 ! That would be an insult to his rank and office . So, this is retired old-timer which still wears the crown of a red dome light. It will, though, make a good project car if it still have the flat six engine and not a stupid diesel of questionable pedigree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
This car is not a VIP car. It is a very poorly maintained relic of a by-gone era. At one time it may have served as a VIP carriage. The covered pale on the rear bumper Is probably indicative of it being a staff car in the military where that plate would have suitable insignia of the rank of the officer riding the car. The front wheel , missing its wheel cover, is smaller than the rear wheel ( which is way oversize for this car) . On closer look you can see filler and a third rate body work on the rocker panel, around the doors and the wheel wells. Our Ambassador took over the assignment of Sarkari transportation long ago. No minister or officer would be found traveling in a 1956-57 Dodge Kingsway in 2013 ! That would be an insult to his rank and office . So, this is retired old-timer which still wears the crown of a red dome light. It will, though, make a good project car if it still have the flat six engine and not a stupid diesel of questionable pedigree.
In the 50s & 60s, our armed forces used large 1951 and then 1956 Dodge cars for higher rank officers . But that gave way to Ambassadors long ago.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 20th December 2013 at 10:14. Reason: Consecutive posts
priyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:10   #2123
BHPian

Quote:

This car is not a VIP car. It is a very poorly maintained relic of a by-gone era. At one time it may have served as a VIP carriage. The covered pale on the rear bumper
Is probably indicative of it being a staff car in the military where that plate would have suitable insignia of the rank of the officer riding the car. The front wheel , missing its wheel cover, is smaller than the rear wheel ( which is way oversize for this car) . On closer look you can see filler and a third rate body work on the rocker panel, around the doors and the wheel wells. Our Ambassador took over the assignment of Sarkari transportation long ago. No minister or officer would be found traveling in a 1956-57 Dodge Kingsway in 2013 ! That would be an insult to his rank and office . So, this is retired old-timer which still wears the crown of a red dome light. It will, though, make a good project car if it still have the flat six engine and not a stupid diesel of questionable pedigree.
Nice observation priyo. This particular example still had a sweet sounding petrol heart.
Old 20th December 2013, 20:12   #2124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our Ambassador took over the assignment of Sarkari transportation long ago. No minister or officer would be found traveling in a 1956-57 Dodge Kingsway in 2013 ! That would be an insult to his rank and office

In the 50s & 60s, our armed forces used large 1951 and then 1956 Dodge cars for higher rank officers . But that gave way to Ambassadors long ago.
The Army does maintain a Plymouth of similar vintage at Wellington (Coonoor, Nilgiris) though from a purist's point of view, the car doesnt rank the first when it comes to originality, especially the shoes:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...3-p6010507.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...3-p6010506.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...3-p6010501.jpg
Old 21st December 2013, 10:30   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
That would be an insult to his rank and office . So, this is retired old-timer which still wears the crown of a red dome light. It will, though, make a good project car if it still have the flat six engine and not a stupid diesel of questionable pedigree.

I have to differ with you priyo. The official car of the Commissioner of Police, Kolkata (I think the highest ranking police officer in the city) is a 1956 Dodge Kingsway.

I've been to the police HQ in Cal a few times, the famous 'Lalbazar', and I've seen the car being lovingly cared for by a host of mechanics under the watchful eye of police staff.

The gleaming black car is used regularly and used alternatively with a Maruti SX4. The car's not dieselised and is pretty complete. I'm not saying that it's in mint condition, but I certainly got the impression that the police force does the best they can do in caring for the car.

Cheers
Old 21st December 2013, 11:31   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I have to differ with you priyo. The official car of the Commissioner of Police, Kolkata (I think the highest ranking police officer in the city) is a 1956 Dodge Kingsway. I've been to the police HQ in Cal a few times, the famous 'Lalbazar', and I've seen the car being lovingly cared for by a host of mechanics under the watchful eye of police staff. The gleaming black car is used regularly and used alternatively with a Maruti SX4. The car's not dieselised and is pretty complete. I'm not saying that it's in mint condition, but I certainly got the impression that the police force does the best they can do in caring for the car. Cheers
Thank you for locating another Dodge in good condition. I am of the belief that any car would last indefinitely if cared for . I have been a car lover and have taken care of my cars for many years and have enjoyed the excercise it provided. My 1978 Cadillac sedan de Ville, bought almost new , gave me dependable service until 2005 and was retired only because of lack of space in my garage as the family grew and more vehicles were added.

My observation of the white Dodge, the subject of this discussion, was about the car in question, mainly. It is very likely this car saw active service as a black or army
green staff car and served a senior officer in its glory days. As you have seen in a recent upload , a fellow BHPian has also observed a black plymouth is near showroom condition in Conoor ( with wheels that take away the otherwise well kept look) . I am sure the durability of these fine cars , assembled at the PAL plant in Kurla, has
withstood the wear and tear of sixty years or so. A big blow to many fine large American cars has been their destruction in the shooting of Hindi Films. Incidentally , have you seen the movie Chinnai Express ? A Red Dodge has been butchered into , get this, a four door convertible to be a Baraat car !
Old 21st December 2013, 14:18   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Shot these beauties yesterday!
Absolutely stunning machines and immaculately maintained, while being driven as regularly as other modern cars and all this without any major glitches
A big thanks to the BHPian for letting me click em
Attached Images

///RMan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 15:35   #2128
BHPian

Lovely cars RMan,

But you forgot to click the studebaker and the 170V mercedes

The Packard just completed a three thousand Km run without a murmur

Soon you will see her cruising along to Mahableshwar. No trailer queen , this one.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 17:17   #2129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Lovely cars RMan,

But you forgot to click the studebaker and the 170V mercedes

The Packard just completed a three thousand Km run without a murmur

Soon you will see her cruising along to Mahableshwar. No trailer queen , this one.
The Packard is a beauty! Everything about it defines magnificence

Have a couple of pics of the Studebaker and the 170V as well, shall post em when on from PC

Last edited by ///RMan : 21st December 2013 at 17:19.
Old 21st December 2013, 23:06   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
The Packard is a beauty! Everything about it defines magnificence

Have a couple of pics of the Studebaker and the 170V as well, shall post em when on from PC
Sure, the Packard is a beauty, and so is the Caddy. The Bettle is nice too. The Study is a 2-door, relatively rare in India. Strange, all failed last Saturday, miraculously the Packard came alive on Sunday (today is Saturday)
These are not new discoveries, well known cars with mechanical quirks.

Cheers harit

I refrained, but then decided to comment on priyo's post about Kingsway's.
The car could have been a VIP car, old timers may still like them. They were spacious. After 1951 and 1956 1957 were also used in huge numbers. Only when these cars became old were Amby's used, again because they were spacious compared to Fiats.
The big American cars were indeed destroyed in Hindi movies in large numbers, but other regional language films also followed suit. Remember, the cars were worn out, there was no demand, and so they were blown up. My Dodge Charger was with a filmwallah, I bought it before he could expose her to dynamite. All had the choice to save cars, it required a bit of foresight to save them. The movie industry must have destroyed about 50 VW vans.
Coming back to the white Dodge 1957, it could be a VIP car, it could have been a VIP car, maybe the courts saw this car and banned the red beacon because of misuse, whatever the case, Fintail Dodge/Plymouths are no longer cheap. Get one before they get out of reach.

Last edited by harit : 21st December 2013 at 23:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks