Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is
Experts, please take over
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
It is a Cadillac Fleetwood formal limousine. It is most likely 1955, ...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
1955 Series 7 , the Syedna's car of the bohri community. Modified for the leader here but I am sure it has some expert hands looking after it Cheers
Please check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1666006 post 35. That is the second one in Mumbai. Today she is complete but not yet running.

///RMan, when I first heard of t-bhp in May 2008, I went through all the existing threads and posts at that time before I contacted Karl and started sending info through him. It took me a month, today it will take much more time. I suggest that you go through all the old posts as well, you will learn a heck of a lot And answer some of your questions. You will become an expert too

These Caddys were imported in a lot of 3 by Saudi Royal family and gifted, one to Sayedna, one to a pearl merchant, both were Series 75, and one convertible to a family of Saudi origin living at Worli Seaface. Recently this was also discussed but I can't find those posts.

Priyo, the green car is well maintained, has its original V-8 petrol engine. One the Caddy I referred to in the link above and this green car were parked at the same time in two different workshops 20 foot steps apart.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 11:21   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is
Experts, please take over
This is Dr. Syedna's car, also known as Maulana. Used to see this for a long time. The driver was an expert with a capital E.
Last I remember once I was driving, is of people thronging on the sides of the street and suddenly converge on my car bonnet. Only to be pushed to the sides with the Bohri guards and one of them, shouting at me saying 'go'. Saw the rear view mirror, Maulana's car was right behind. It was literally worshipped.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:48   #2208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

//RMan, when I first heard of t-bhp in May 2008, I went through all the existing threads and posts at that time before I contacted Karl and started sending info through him. It took me a month, today it will take much more time. I suggest that you go through all the old posts as well, you will learn a heck of a lot And answer some of your questions. You will become an expert too

Cheers harit
Have done that,mayve not as intensely and with much vigour as I should have.

My problem is that while I can recognize what make the car is most of the times , the year or model is a complete bouncer.
To many finer details in the differentiation but yes will go through older posts as you suggested, maybe can become 10% as good as the vintage veterans
Old 24th January 2014, 15:52   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I thought that the steering wheel in the car I had spotted was a transplant. But after viewing the pic that you have shared, it appears that only the 'horn cap' is a transplant. The wheel itself is OE.

Attachment 1195647
Going by the floor shift this car is most likely dieselized

My dad had a Velox, same model as this which was a OHV straight six and it was a great car, still have fond memories of riding in it. We even did long distance drives in it all over south India.

The windows didn't have traditional winder, you just pulled the glass up using a small stick on handle at the top of the glass. You could pull it up as high as wanted and it would stop and hold there till you pushed it down again, very cool
Old 25th January 2014, 00:25   #2210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post

There used to be so many of these vauxhall cars running as taxis in my home town Coonoor, Nilgiris district, during my school days way back in 1980's. Now I dont see any of them, dont know where did all those cars go!
Sir I suppose the Nilgiri taxis you refer to were not Vauxhall but VANGUARD, made by Standard in the 50s and were even more popular than the ambassador in their heyday. I've seen many pics. of them and even in south-indian movies as taxis in Nilgiris.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 00:52   #2211
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sir I suppose the Nilgiri taxis you refer to were not Vauxhall but VANGUARD, made by Standard in the 50s and were even more popular than the ambassador in their heyday. I've seen many pics. of them and even in south-indian movies as taxis in Nilgiris.

All those were indeed Vanguards. There were also a few Jeepneys and Willys Overlander type things. Doing the Ooty, Coonoor run.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 19:17   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
As promised, here are some photos of the 'heart'.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390657628485.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1390657647103.jpg  

schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 21:45   #2213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As promised, here are some photos of the 'heart'.
So that confirms what Karl said- indeed a heart transplant!
Old 26th January 2014, 22:38   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on what's doing duty? The garage owner is clueless! On being quizzed, he kept repeating, "The engine is slightly altered saar...", nothing more!
Old 31st January 2014, 22:34   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
Quote:
Quote:
Any idea on what's doing duty? The garage owner is clueless! On being quizzed, he kept repeating, "The engine is slightly altered saar...", nothing more!
The mechanic working on the car says it's a 118NE engine.
Old 10th February 2014, 01:35   #2216
Distinguished - BHPian

The CLK Convertible, the stunning Alfa Romeo and the tiny Morris on seen Worli Seaface in a very short duration.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6007.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6008.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6011.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6013.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6014.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6016.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_6018.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_8703.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_8706.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_8709.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_8715.jpg  

///RMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:58   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The CLK Convertible, the stunning Alfa Romeo and the tiny Morris on seen Worli Seaface in a very short duration.
How does a CLK convertible (even though the owner does have some stunning vintage and classic cars) classify as a Vintage or classic car?
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 14:38   #2218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! The building in the background of the Morris must be of the same age, suits the car!
Old 10th February 2014, 23:53   #2219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
How does a CLK convertible (even though the owner does have some stunning vintage and classic cars) classify as a Vintage or classic car?
I do know that the CLK ain't a vintage but since its been seen at various drives with vintages , I thought I'd post it here.
The CLK could be called a modern classic or a classic in the making (Experts please do correct me if I am wrong)

Quote:
Nice! The building in the background of the Morris must be of the same age, suits the car!
Haha! Indeed
Old 11th February 2014, 01:57   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Stanher,

The building behind the Morris had until recently one of the country's oldest seven seater Packard tourer One owner from new, she is now in her nineties and does not live in India.

the house was sold with the car in an enclosed garage.

Subsequently the car was worked upon in juhu I am told, now supposed to be with someone connected to the diamond industry in Surat.

The car has no papers and still has the old registration number since it was in non use from the very early thirties!

The former owner is a friend and has all the cars details, but living now on borrowed time. If the current owner gets in touch with me, a lot of history can be learnt, but seems as if he is only interested in sending the Packard out for weddings
Bulldogji is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks