Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 6th August 2019, 13:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Driven: Mumbai to Delhi for the 2019 Cartier Concours d'Elegance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
This is just exquisite stuff! I am currently restoring a 1951 Series MM Morris Minor and the benchmark that my mechanic and I have set for ourselves is the Cartier Concours. We hope to have the car ready to these standards in the next couple of months - restoration thread coming up!
Hope to see the thread and the car both! All the very best for the restoration
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Nice thread ///RMan.

Did you happen to speak to any of the classic / vintage MG owners and ask their opinion on the 'MG' Hector & will they be buying one ?
Hahaha, I'm sure there won't be too many takers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you ???RMan for posting so many photos of so many beauties. Superb. What a joy to view them again and again.
Thank You! Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Wonderful thread and pictures! Thanks for the visual treat. The opening page of this thread will easily qualify for the most number of pics on a single page.
Gotta agree on the pics. Though personally I feel the number of pictures kind of become overwhelming towards to end. But, had to post em all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Great thread and nice coverage, though a bit sad that you misplaced the one picture that I was most looking forward too, hope you can dig and find it.

Here is one if it helps you to place the cars photo's.

Attachment 1902896

I know the car, I clicked pics of this especially since I chanced upon it on your Instagram and have kept checking since the day you followed me back on IG.
Not sure if the pictures were lost swapping memory cards or what. Like I said in the original post, extremely repent losing the pics.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th August 2019 at 14:09. Reason: quoted post edited
///RMan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 22:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
A special post for this deadly duo - the Mercedes-Benz 220SE and the Ford Thunderbird.
Restored expressly for the Concours, the attention to detail on them was unmatched. And undoubtedly this pursuit of perfection was rewarded handsomely with both the cars bagging best in class.
Attachment 1901032
Way back when I was constantly on the lookout for old derelict vehicles to own and restore, I found a Thunderbird of the same color and year (or '61-'63 at any rate) parked in an old widow's garage. It could have been bought for a few hundred dollars, but was rusted beyond what most in the U.S. would consider feasibly restorable. Yet the sheer style it had, inside as much as outside, made it tempting for a dreamer, and this gives me one more glimpse of what it once would have been, and had it been left to rot in India, the level to which it again may have been revived.

-Eric
Old 6th August 2019, 22:09   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

What surprises me is how low the readership is, even of such a thread, in the V&C section. I just went through each photo again. It is like being an 8-year old in a pastry shop. I found the Transportation section the cutest!! - like beautiful ugly ducklings.

My thanks to the author //RMan for putting the details and name of each car exhibited. Makes it so much more meaningful. That requires some effort brother.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 22:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this very interesting travelogue and overview of the Concour. Nice to see a couple of Alfa Romeo’s. GTVs too, next to my Alfa Spider my favourite Alfa’s. (They are both 105 series, so they share many common component, including the engine. The Later GTV had independent suspension, which improved handling a lot.)

I was quite surprised to see such a huge gathering of Lambo’s. Very special cars. Very much Proper Supercars. Totally impractical, but impressive to look at it.

Jeroen
Old 7th August 2019, 00:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Way back when I was constantly on the lookout for old derelict vehicles to own and restore, I found a Thunderbird of the same color and year (or '61-'63 at any rate) parked in an old widow's garage. It could have been bought for a few hundred dollars, but was rusted beyond what most in the U.S. would consider feasibly restorable. Yet the sheer style it had, inside as much as outside, made it tempting for a dreamer, and this gives me one more glimpse of what it once would have been, and had it been left to rot in India, the level to which it again may have been revived.
-Eric
Should have got it and done it up. It is process of restoring that is most of the times more satisfying than the end result. Interesting anecdote and glad my post got back some memories! Cheers

Quote:
What surprises me is how low the readership is, even of such a thread, in the V&C section. I just went through each photo again. It is like being an 8-year old in a pastry shop. I found the Transportation section the cutest!! - like beautiful ugly ducklings.
I hope the readership picks up over passing time haha. Guess it is the sheer length of the thread that is off putting to most.
I gotta agree with the kid in a pastry shop illustration, I was there in person at the event and the feeling was no different.
The Transportation Class was lovely, the blue Bus and the Beer Truck looked super cool! Personally, my favorite section should be the pre-war American class. Some handsome cars there, the Stutz being my pick.
This apart from the Rolls-Royce class of-course, that Phantom 2 Continental is the the ultimate pick.

Quote:
My thanks to the author //RMan for putting the details and name of each car exhibited. Makes it so much more meaningful. That requires some effort brother.
Much appreciated! The reason behind writing names and details was coz when I used to browse forums back when I could not recognise these cars(not that I can distinguish them now ), it used to get difficult to place what car people were discussing. Writing down details makes it just easier for someone not well versed with the older cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Thanks for sharing this very interesting travelogue and overview of the Concour. Nice to see a couple of Alfa Romeo’s. GTVs too, next to my Alfa Spider my favourite Alfa’s. (They are both 105 series, so they share many common component, including the engine. The Later GTV had independent suspension, which improved handling a lot.)
This particular 1750 GTV is a beast! I personally love the car as well. The Spiders are beautiful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I was quite surprised to see such a huge gathering of Lambo’s. Very special cars. Very much Proper Supercars. Totally impractical, but impressive to look at it.
Jeroen
It was indeed a crazy turn-out. Probably one of the largest congregations of Lamborghinis, but I'm just guessing. Would have been nicer to see more Urus considering quite a sizeable chunk has been sold here. But nonetheless, it was amazing to see such a big one-make gathering.

Last edited by ///RMan : 7th August 2019 at 00:45.
///RMan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 13:52   #36
BHPian

For once, pictures actually do justice to such an amazing event. Phenomenal photo-story telling.

I just had a smile through out the entire post. I must admit, this is one of my favorite threads on T-BHP right now. Such a treat to watch it through your lens. Thank you.

The 1935 rolls is such an amazing car, it sure is a winner wherever it goes. Such great history we have in India. i hope these shows grow larger in number and hope I get a chance to see them too.

Most Viewed