Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 21:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Importing vintage car/bikes to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
If the old cars come along with their owners, there are rules to import it temporarily for road use/sports and transit.You can contact the VCCCI who were instrumental in bringing long distance, old classic car rallyists into India this February. They were at Nagpur for our rally. The pictures can be seen on the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ry-2011-a.html
Thanks Anjan, the cars I speak of are mostly race cars from WWI and WWII and my friend races them too but I will ask him to speak with the VCCCI today.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:58   #17
BHPian

Re: importing vintage spares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
So far I've only got home small & cosmetic spares (viz. horn buttons, switches, rubber beadings etc.) for my vehicles, thru relatives/family members who've been abroad on trips.....was hesitant to buy ne bigger parts...
Looks like I'm bumping an old thread, but the above is something I'm contemplating. Would small stuff like handlebar grips, taillights etc carried in someone's baggage when returning to India be an issue at Customs?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Looks like I'm bumping an old thread, but the above is something I'm contemplating. Would small stuff like handlebar grips, taillights etc carried in someone's baggage when returning to India be an issue at Customs? Cheers, Rahul
The official rule is that you can bring only personal effects. A few items here and there normally get through, if you are reasonable then they are reasonable. Be careful though, if the passenger is stopped you should not be embarassed.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:16   #19
BHPian

The website of the Central Board of Excise says that for an Indian citizen, "Other articles carried in person or in accompanied baggage if stay abroad is for more than three days" of value upto Rs. 25,000 can be carried. The term "other articles" is not applicable to arms and ammo, cigarettes, alcohol and gold (all above a certain limit). But can we be safe in assuming that it DOES apply for atleast motorcycle accessories??? They cant really be harmful or dangerous! But as usual, the customs officer's mood is always an important factor I guess.

Last edited by voodoochild : 23rd December 2011 at 16:18.
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But can we be safe in assuming that it DOES apply for atleast motorcycle accessories??? They cant really be harmful or dangerous! But as usual, the customs officer's mood is always an important factor I guess.
Yes but only of new, old parts are regarded as scrap and are forbidden from import. But again like you said it depends on the custom officer and they generally don't reject old parts.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I'm bumping an old thread, but the above is something I'm contemplating. Would small stuff like handlebar grips, taillights etc carried in someone's baggage when returning to India be an issue at Customs?

Cheers,
Rahul
I can tell you of my experiences from the past. My car was given to another chap for restoration prior to Rahul Sircar's workshop. The car lay with him for a year and a half with little work done. I got mad and took out the car from there and the garage chaps lost 90% of the metal trim. Even the aluminium windshield garnishes were lost.

3 years back I went to the US and met a fellow Ponton group member who had all the trim required for my car from a scrap car lying in his back yard, including the both windshield trims which was about 5 feet long. I carried a lot of the trim and heavier parts with me as extra baggage and I made my travel partner carry a third piece of baggage for which I paid, which had only the windshield trim. No hassles on arrival.

I regularly buy used parts from EBay and have never had a problem with customs, just ensure that the invoice never says 'Used'. More recently an entire roof came for my car from a US scrapyard through ocean freight, but that could have snowballed into a lot of trouble, fortunately did not. Never import any car parts by ocean freight unless it is new.

Regards
mbz180
Old 26th December 2011, 17:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I regularly buy used parts from EBay and have never had a problem with customs, just ensure that the invoice never says 'Used'. More recently an entire roof came for my car from a US scrapyard through ocean freight, but that could have snowballed into a lot of trouble, fortunately did not. Never import any car parts by ocean freight unless it is new.
Same here. I too regularly buy new and old (used as well as NOS) parts for my cars (and used to for my Lambretta too when I had one) usually from ebay UK, and some sellers who say they normally dont ship overseas are kind enough to oblige sending them to me in India. Signed-for int'l mail in Royal Mail costs a bit more than 'Standard' () RM, but its trackable unlike the latter. However, if I coudlnt afford to stretch it, I'd have it sent by normal mail. A few times I was charged duty usually for metal items, but most of the time they came in ok, maybe in some cases after a slight delay. I seldom had any items that didnt reach me yet.
I too instruct the sellers not to say "used" or "secondhand" on the cover label, although havent had any problems if they are mentioned just as for eg."small x part for old car".
Got a few stuff through with friends visiting from the UK, they too didnt have any problems bringing with them in their baggage.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th December 2011 at 17:52.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:26   #23
BHPian

mbz180 and Stanher, thanks a ton for that info! Both your experiences will be of use to me since I'm considering either ordering online or having stuff brought over with somebody. So basically, the thing to keep in mind is that the invoice/label on the package should state that the part is NOT second-hand. Roger that! If entire roofs have passed through peacefully, I dont see how a few motorcycle items can get stuck

Cheers, and thanks again!

Rahul
Old 26th December 2011, 19:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mbz180 and Stanher, thanks a ton for that info! Both your experiences will be of use to me since I'm considering either ordering online or having stuff brought over with somebody. So basically, the thing to keep in mind is that the invoice/label on the package should state that the part is NOT second-hand. Roger that!
Glad you found the info useful.

Um, what I (and I'm sure mbz180) meant was, just ask them NOT to mention any words like 'used' or 'second-hand'. Stating that "this is NOT second-hand" is as good as attracting unwanted curiosity and finding out that it indeed is, and thereby amounts to false description/lying, which could create problems. But its relatively 'harmless' if you dont mention anything about the condition of the item, atleast for a normal airmail packet. Because in any case (atleast in case of UK labels), its mandatory to only say what items are in the packet but not what condition they are in. 'hope its clearer now.

'would also suggest that if you are ordering any cosmetic items, ask the seller to write "show part" ('doubt if too many of our Customs babus would understand "cosmetic item"- they might mistake it literally for cosmetics and then detain it expecting to find lipstick, mascara, eyeshadow etc. in it! )
Eg. if badges/logos, "name badge- bike" or "small show part for bike" Such parts are usually less likely to attract Duty anyways.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th December 2011 at 19:59.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 03:16   #25
BHPian

Be carefull of what one imports but it can be done.

I had to engage the services of a clearing agency to get my parcel, which was shipped by FEDEX fron Czech Republic. That was a headache in itself. Could not disown it also as the customs may charge you storage fees. Since the customs officer loved bikes, guided me on the formalities involved & in the end also got a warning from him.

It also depends at which airport one lands.
I was able to get a Velorex side car suspension & a PAV 40 trailer through the customs at the GOA airport without any issues. Both were packed in two separate soft luggage bags.
Would not have tried it if I was landing at any other airport in India.
Small parts can get through if one is lucky.

I ordered a number of spare parts from UK & US. All of them arrived without issues except one. I was asked to come at the Post office in Bangalore and clarify what I had imported and if for commercial or personal use etc.
Showed them my Herald cars documents & told them I was restoring it.
I paid a duty of 110/- ( I don't know how he calculated in 2004 ) and collected my parcel.

Hope this helps
Old 4th May 2014, 10:55   #26
BHPian

There has been a new notification regarding the import of vintage cars prior to 1960- under the category of 'Vintage' cars or 'Collectibles.'
It has made import of such cars easier and therefore all above discussions regarding 'used' or 'secondh-hand' cars etc is no longer valid.
I am hunting for the data for the same, and will update the forum once I get my hands on this 'good rumor.'
Old 4th May 2014, 12:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
There has been a new notification regarding the import of vintage cars prior to 1960- under the category of 'Vintage' cars or 'Collectibles.'
It has made import of such cars easier and therefore all above discussions regarding 'used' or 'secondh-hand' cars etc is no longer valid.
I am hunting for the data for the same, and will update the forum once I get my hands on this 'good rumor.'
The notification was issued in April 2013.

See the attached.

Notification_for_old_cars_prior_to_01.01.1950.pdf

The catch is that the valuation of the vehicle is still a very grey area and is very subjective decision by the customs authorities which leaves a lot of scope for "horse trading" and much of anguish to the importer (even if they may have very deep pockets).

On that valuation Duty is payable aproximately @ 136%.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 12:55   #28
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The notification was issued in April 2013.
Best Regards & Drive Safe
Ram
Ram, the other area is registration of vehicle which is possible only if it confirms to the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Act. It must be RHD, Emission Norms etc will apply. Hence it will be very difficult to register these vehicles in India.

Regards

KPS
Old 30th March 2017, 11:28   #29
BANNED

Retickling an old thread here.
Just trying to understand the process of importing a vintage motorcycle in to India for display purpose. The motorcycle is pre-1950 era.
In addition to the process, is there an organization that does this for a fee?
I was pointed to Zauba by google and then in some threads here too, however, getting in touch with them seems like a task in itself.
Old 5th August 2023, 12:16   #30
BHPian

Do we have any new updates on the import of classis bikes and cars.
Is there any member here who has successfully imported a classic vehicle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks