Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 10:53   #61
BHPian

Re: Barn or Garage Finds in India

I was visiting old acquaintances of my grandparents and saw this car in their house. They are the first owners and have had it since 1949. They have started collecting parts and will bring it back to life soon!

It is a Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. What a majestic car! What makes it even more special is the fact that it is still with the first owners!
Attached Thumbnails
Barn or Garage Finds in India-757ff02b36f4405e959fd06bc366176f.jpeg  

Barn or Garage Finds in India-a6b978c2256a41d09d7f6189704a99e7.jpeg  

Barn or Garage Finds in India-250b29b3367e40a7b66fb87668259af6.jpeg  

Barn or Garage Finds in India-4e9cb435eb9c4e289fc2e5c553aa1e51.jpeg  

Barn or Garage Finds in India-5b77b829df1243b1921eaaedb2ce6944.jpeg  

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 11:40   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post

It is a Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. What a majestic car! What makes it even more special is the fact that it is still with the first owners!
Thank you for sharing. Our Anglo-Indian neighbour in Ooty used to own one, along with a Willys station wagon and a Vespa. I remember travelling in it for a wedding in the early late 80's. It had an MDN registration. Things were slower then, people warmer.
jeeva is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 10:59   #63
BANNED

Man it's surely rusted . You will have to pay a lot of money for this project. I hope this car comes back to life again. Please keep the thread updated. Also, how are you procuring the parts ?

And is the car in India or abroad?
DR Manabendra S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 12:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I was visiting old acquaintances of my grandparents and saw this car in their house. They are the first owners and have had it since 1949. They have started collecting parts and will bring it back to life soon!

Lovely car. All the best to the restoration work.

Could someone please explain how the registration process of such cars work? After restoring the entire car, what is the process to be followed to get such a car roadworthy?
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 12:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Lovely car. All the best to the restoration work.

Could someone please explain how the registration process of such cars work? After restoring the entire car, what is the process to be followed to get such a car roadworthy?
Just a small clarification, I am not the one doing the restoration, it’s still with the original owners and their son is the one bringing it to life!

I am not really sure, but I think the owners would have to pay the fine of 6000 rupees per year since the fitness last expired. For example, if I have a 1975 car, and the fitness lapsed in 1990, then a fine of 6000 per year will be charged 1990 onwards. Quite a hefty fine: 32 X 6000 = 1.92 lakhs.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 12:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Just a small clarification, I am not the one doing the restoration, it’s still with the original owners and their son is the one bringing it to life!
Yes I had understood that you wouldn’t be carrying out the restoration.

Quote:
I am not really sure, but I think the owners would have to pay the fine of 6000 rupees per year since the fitness last expired. For example, if I have a 1975 car, and the fitness lapsed in 1990, then a fine of 6000 per year will be charged 1990 onwards. Quite a hefty fine: 32 X 6000 = 1.92 lakhs.
So there is no issue w.r.t compliance with the emission norms? What about the road tax and insurance?
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 12:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
So there is no issue w.r.t compliance with the emission norms? What about the road tax and insurance?
It won’t have to comply with current emission norms, but it will have to undergo a fitness inspection test. The test will cover things like body and paint condition, lights, horns, electricals and other mechanical aspects. The owner will have to pay the fine + fitness test charges + road tax due.

Third party insurance policies can be purchased for such cars.

I myself am not very clear about the latest regulations about vintage cars, experts please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Manabendra S View Post
Man it's surely rusted . You will have to pay a lot of money for this project. I hope this car comes back to life again. Please keep the thread updated. Also, how are you procuring the parts ?

And is the car in India or abroad?
No idea about parts. The owners are procuring them from various places in India and the US.
The car is in India. Will surely try to update.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 14th August 2022 at 13:10.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 06:56   #68
BANNED

Quote:

Kudos to the original first owners and their plan to restore the car. Though I'm not a great fan of American cars of the vintage (post-war late-40's), it has to be said that they were very durable and the low-stressed engines would last for-ever (as evidenced by the Cuban examples still going strong!)
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 15:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Thank you for sharing. Our Anglo-Indian neighbour in Ooty used to own one, along with a Willys station wagon and a Vespa. I remember travelling in it for a wedding in the early late 80's. It had an MDN registration. Things were slower then, people warmer.
Indeed. The annual vintage procession is a sight to be behold. The vintage willy
's station wagon use to give me creeps, such a gargantuan looking though. Glad to catch up with a Ooty Bhipian, where do you reside? Perhaps there should be a call for local meetup, should be fun..

Cheers!
VJ
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:35   #70
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Plymouth Barn/Garage Find. This time in Bangalore, a 1957 Plymouth has emerged

I understand it was quite a task to get the car out. Heavy machinery was required
Barn or Garage Finds in India-1.jpg

Weather gods have not been too kind
Barn or Garage Finds in India-2.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-3.jpg

Picture Courtesy : Harish K

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 10:48   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Another Plymouth Barn/Garage Find. This time in Bangalore, a 1957 Plymouth has emerged
Hey, thats a beautiful find! A friend of mine was actually looking for one. Where in Bangalore was this gem found? Would you be able to share more details or any contact info please?

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th October 2022 at 16:28. Reason: Fixing quote. Ensure you retain the closing QUOTE tag when trimming the quote down :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks