Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 22:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Vintage car auction on November 18-19, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
American metal has very poor brand recognition in India. There are Fiat clubs, mercedes clubs, JDM car clubs and now even Maruti clubs if you get the drift.
I agree.

Maybe we should start a MOPAR club
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 11:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The trend encourages more international auction houses to enter now and sell old automobiles after creating a hype with lots of pomp and glitter. The prices that bidders have sealed the deals for are much, much more than the market prices.

More international auction houses entering and with the higher bids, it will also be ironical to see automobiles being sold in India for three or more times the prices these are valued at internationally or in the country of origin of such auction houses.
This is not an isolated phenomenon, prices of all collectibles has gone up with availibility of disposible incomes. Look at LP/Vinyl prices!

These cars after all fall in the category of collectibles. Prices are directly propotionate to availability and number of collectors. The number of collectors vying for brands they can relate to has gone up. Here i would like to quote the example of Mercedes. Mercedes prices are shooting up through the roof. This is because partially Mercedes supports the hobby internationally and in India. You will see in this auction that Mercedes has done exceptionally well. You can say they are the Husains and Rezas of the car world :-)

One of the other things I find is that people lamenting about car prices going up. Of course they will go up, today the car purchase, restoration and mantainence cost has all gone up. Infact I can say its equivalent to America. And if we are comparing prices internationally. The prices of Fiat 1100 53-57 is today 20,000 Euros. You can buy a great one here for 7,000 Euros infact I hear a few are getting exported. But then no one is looking at those. But that does not mean they won't in the future :-)
the mole is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 16:49   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I just noticed that the Silver Shadow is on sale on our forum today. Is it the same one that was part of this auction?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ls-Royce.html/
Old 21st November 2019, 17:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The 1966 Mercedes 230S was estimated at a top end of Rs. 25 Lakhs and the final price of Rs. 68.31 lakhs including 15% buyers margin is mind blowing. This is now a crazy benchmark.

Cheers

KPS
That price is obscene. It might be more cost effective to source a well kept example abroad and import these same.
Old 21st November 2019, 23:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That price is obscene. It might be more cost effective to source a well kept example abroad and import these same.
Except that you cannot import a 1966 Mercedes into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I just noticed that the Silver Shadow is on sale on our forum today. Is it the same one that was part of this auction?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ls-Royce.html/
Looks different, lighter shade of blue, black wall tyres, absence of badges and spot lamps, year of manufacture different and offered as a car from Bombay.

The car in the auction came from Delhi.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2019 at 01:20. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 00:31   #21
BHPian

I understand these are collectibles but with the current rules are these cars road legal in India ??
Old 22nd November 2019, 01:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
I understand these are collectibles but with the current rules are these cars road legal in India ??
Each state has its own rules.

In Delhi I believe you cannot drive them on a daily basis.

In Maharashtra there is no such restriction.

In Bombay for instance, on most Sunday's you will find a number of them driving around without a care in the world
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Each state has its own rules.

In Delhi I believe you cannot drive them on a daily basis.

In Maharashtra there is no such restriction.

In Bombay for instance, on most Sunday's you will find a number of them driving around without a care in the world

In Delhi, the rules are more relaxed for cars above 50 years old.

There is an active group of 8-10 cars that does a long 50-75km drive every Sunday and additionally individual drives during the week
Shivraj88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivraj88 View Post
In Delhi, the rules are more relaxed for cars above 50 years old.

There is an active group of 8-10 cars that does a long 50-75km drive every Sunday and additionally individual drives during the week
That's great news Shivraj.

All along we have been told that Delhi only allows these cars to be driven in rallies or to and fro workshops for repair prior to an event.

Driving reasonably long distances on Sunday's is a good way to keep these cars going, maybe some Sunday when I am in Delhi I could join in as a passenger
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
That's great news Shivraj.

All along we have been told that Delhi only allows these cars to be driven in rallies or to and fro workshops for repair prior to an event.

Driving reasonably long distances on Sunday's is a good way to keep these cars going, maybe some Sunday when I am in Delhi I could join in as a passenger
Looking forward to it
Shivraj88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed