Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models

Wow!! what a nostalgic moment. I just went back to my good olden days. Maruti was and is definitely the most reliable brand and not to forget, all the sedans which existed and which are about to hit the market took its prototype from the legendary Maruti 1000CC. Its a cult car and the trend setter to most of the car manufacturers (even now and also in the future).

All Maruti's ever produced and all parked at one place is definitely a head turner and I am sure most of the people who has exotic cars driving by should've also stopped for a second to gaze this beautiful moment.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 20:28   #17
BHPian

Thank you for the thread. Learnt to drive in the M800 and my first car was the Maruti Zen MH410 this was before the nomenclature of VXI etc came. This thread brought back loads of memories. Heck I also raced in the ZEN and got my racing Licence from MSFI Chennai. Really regret selling it off.
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 11:31   #18
BHPian

I can believe there wasn't a single Maruti Baleno in there!! Jeez have people scrapped them all??
ron_9191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 11:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lovely report Nikhil. Sadly I missed this event, but its great to see the enthusiasm of the Classic Maruti Enthusiasts group who have single handedly decided to elevate the true Indian peoples car to the next level. Also your personal enthusiasm and interest in all things old reminds me of Karlosdeville in his younger days
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 11:36   #20
BHPian

I really liked the #projectgrandpa 800!! That looks like its built for one purpose! Tasty mods on it. And of course we'd have to appreciate the care people have give to some of the cars that may be older than I am!
ron_9191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 11:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Any clue if this vehicle belongs to a BHPian?

Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-img_20190208_130404.jpg

It looked factory fresh! Picture taken long time ago.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 12:20   #22
BHPian

Wow! I would have been there had I known this event was to take place. The entire street appears as though we were in the 80s again or as if someone has traveled back in time.

I learnt my driving in an 800 when I was 18. When I got my first job I got the first generation esteem 1.3L from my uncle which I used to fancy as a teenager.

This is the beast I am talking about. Those were the days.
Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-car3.jpg
Tygerman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 13:42   #23
BHPian

nostalgia.... i miss my Zen MH410
Old 11th December 2019, 19:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I can believe there wasn't a single Maruti Baleno in there!! Jeez have people scrapped them all??
Even I was thinking the same thing, how can there not be a single Baleno!
(Although it's heart is present in most of the modified Esteems and Zens there )
Old 11th December 2019, 20:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Lovely photos, Nikhil!
The Zen and Esteem have been my favourite cars growing up, and it felt lovely to see them after quite some time. Hope this event continues for years to come, and that I might some day be able to finally turn up in an Esteem to witness things live! Big thanks to the organisers too, for arranging such a treat for everyone.
Thanks for the lovely comment buddy! And yes, Classic Maruti Day shall be an annual event now on and it shall hopefully see greater participation with every passing year. You should come over for the next event ! Get your Esteem soon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Oh Boy!! Just awesomeness !!
It is pure bliss to see the line-up. Missing my '97 Zen. Fell like, Selling my Zen was a bad decision.
Is there any meet-up like this happening in Chennai any time sooner? Or Is there any authentic Maruti Enthusiasts Group based of Chennai, So that we can initiate the meetup here.
Good to see another Zenthusiast here ! I believe there are a few members of the CME Facebook group from Chennai , but doesn't seem like they've had any meet ups yet. Why don't you initiate one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
The Maruti Van with a high roof used to be called 'Anda Van' here (regions north of Delhi) back then in 80's. Presumably because of its looks, resembling an egg.
HAHA. People used to keep all kinds of names for those vans back in the day. The most common name for the high roof Vans in Bombay was the BreadBox! I believe that the name came up because the car was indeed bought by several bakery owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Thank you for the thread. Learnt to drive in the M800 and my first car was the Maruti Zen MH410 this was before the nomenclature of VXI etc came. This thread brought back loads of memories. Heck I also raced in the ZEN and got my racing Licence from MSFI Chennai. Really regret selling it off.
Another Zenthusiast! What can I say? There is nothing like a Zen !
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ld-school.html (My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!)
^This is my thread about the ZEN MH410 I own. I hope it will revive some more happy memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Not at all! There's enough old Balenos plying on the road even today and might I add that Baleno owners love their cars. The reason you didn't see any is because the Baleno isn't a part of the CME group yet. Despite this, we did have a car with a Baleno heart join us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Lovely report Nikhil. Sadly I missed this event, but its great to see the enthusiasm of the Classic Maruti Enthusiasts group who have single handedly decided to elevate the true Indian peoples car to the next level. Also your personal enthusiasm and interest in all things old reminds me of Karlosdeville in his younger days
Thanks for the lovely comment Mr. Mole. Your 1000 was sorely missed by many this time around considering, we had every type of Esteem join us this year, all that remained was a mint 1000 to be the cherry on top! Nevertheless, there's always a next time to these things. Hope to see the car in flesh soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I really liked the #projectgrandpa 800!! That looks like its built for one purpose! Tasty mods on it. And of course we'd have to appreciate the care people have give to some of the cars that may be older than I am!
Yes indeed #projectgrandpa is a ballistic car! You need to hear it in person though, will prolly blow your ears out lol! The owner is soon to turbo the car as well. Do stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Any clue if this vehicle belongs to a BHPian?

Attachment 1944868

It looked factory fresh! Picture taken long time ago.
I believe this Red 800 was restored a year and a half ago. It is a 1986 model afaik. There was a restoration video of it on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
I learnt my driving in an 800 when I was 18. When I got my first job I got the first generation esteem 1.3L from my uncle which I used to fancy as a teenager.

This is the beast I am talking about. Those were the days.
Attachment 1944874
Wow! That Esteem looks hot! It does look like a very out of the 90s modifications, but I absolutely love it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One View Post
nostalgia.... i miss my Zen MH410
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ld-school.html (My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!)
^I hope this thread will bring back some fond memories.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 21:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good to see old familiar faces. With so many new models and new manufacturers, we often forget about these classics!

How I wish Maruti revived the 'Zen' brand just like they did with 'Baleno'!
Old 13th December 2019, 03:15   #27
BHPian

When we talk of a car in INDIA the first word that comes to everyone's mind is MARUTI. It is a emotion in itself to keep a Maruti in your garage. Hoping to save my 2001 Maruti Omni E although now only it is 18 Years old and hope to take it to a classic Maruti Rally someday.
Old 19th December 2019, 17:03   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the mesmerizing photos, I really got emotional looking at those. We had a 1998 M800, the facelifted model which was sold at its 18yrs of age. I learnt driving in it and had a lot of memories. Can't thank you enough. The SS80 twins in brown and the Zen Carbon made my day. Your post did made me travel time.
OT but wanted to share some pics here. Mods, please delete if irrelevantClassic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-img_20130929_090334.jpg.
Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-img_20131012_124759.jpg
Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-img_20131012_125415.jpg
Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-img_20131126_163542.jpg
Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-img_20130926_080930.jpg

Last edited by Prakritij : 19th December 2019 at 17:05.
Old 19th December 2019, 18:34   #29
BHPian

Nice to see ss80's and zen's. Didn't see any Zen-D anywhere in the pics or did I miss seeing it.
Old 17th November 2021, 11:46   #30
BHPian

Glad to announce the return of the long awaited Classic Maruti Day event this year !

The decided date for the event is Sunday- 12th December 2021.

This year , we shall be celebrating simultaneously in 5 different cities across India as mentioned in the photo description below.

This year will also have the addition of the Maruti Baleno sedan and Altura station wagon to the Squad. Let's make the most of it and ensure everyone has a swell day !

http://bit.ly/cmday2021

If you wish to participate in the event with an eligible car , please ensure you register using this link. In case of any doubts or queries reach out to the respective RSVP for your city. Spectators and Content creators are also welcome to join in . But do remember to maintain covid-19 protocol.

Those interested in joining must be entirely vaccinated and keep a copy of their certificate handy, to ensure their own safety and that of others.

Classic Maruti Day, 2019 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models-257707964_1659010177640758_4804701600038949249_n.jpg
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks