Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.

Superb job is a mere statement. One has to be beyond mental with automobiles to have the passion to transform junks to jewels and win prizes in the process. My humble nod to these gentlemen who dedicated themselves to resurrect such masterpieces.

More power to you guys.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 7th April 2020, 16:48   #17
AZT
BHPian

Absolutely Beautiful! 5 star thread The Jaguar Mark 2 looks especially gorgeous.
Old 8th April 2020, 08:13   #18
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1951 Morgan Plus 4

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars | Series Part 14 | “Design Icon for last many decades”
Not every day, one come across a Morgan plus 4 1951 in India. It was kissing the sun, stationed in its full glory at the polo ground in Delhi. All set to take part in conquers, placed next to another car we had brought all the way from Jaipur. It was a white in colour, looked complete yet parts were accessed from multiple sources and times. Even though parts varied from generations but it looked impressive. We got busy with the event next day and then met the owner. he was keen to bring this car back into an original state. He told us that he recently brought it and the event wanted him to exhibit. He said, 'I got this car for its iconic design that has become a defining feature of the car and that is not going to change.' Even the details, such as its narrow bodywork and unique wing profiling, I was excited to bring back the lost glory back.

The wood frame of the car was no less than an artistic sculpture. Whosoever saw it coming together was mesmerized by its beauty. I hope to re-make and display a similar wood frame of this iconic car as an art sculpture. We fabricated the complete metal and imported all mechanical spare parts which were missing. We fixed original steel wheel with hub cap, paint the car in red with black leather upholstery and detailed work was carried out to get the car rolling back. We took it for a drive after completion, it was a testimony of a true sports car. Complete story: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-rxbflg...d=o4xpidwz4giy #findingartincars #cartist #vintagecars #classiccars #morgan #morganplus4 #design #wood #metal #restoration #beauty #artwork #artist #morganclub #pictureoftheday #photography
Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-1.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-2.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-3.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-4.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-5.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-6.jpg
KPS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 12:25   #19
BHPian

Superb thread. Thank you KPS for sharing this. Your knowledge on all things V&C continues to amaze.
vanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 16:24   #20
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1936 Mercedes 290 Pullman Limousine

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 15| “ A Jewel Back to Life ”
In a world where old gets discarded and chase for new possessions is a constant phenomenon. No wonder, heritage has a limited attention. For us, the quest to restore the past has been our passion and our work too. So, here is one of the exclusive car left in this world from the historic pre-war era. The owner shared me the pictures and asked me to my opinion on this car. I was startled and said, " Where is the car in this picture, it's just a chassis of old car hard to say what make but looks like pre war Mercedes on other side'. He admitted the condition of the car and was keen for us to give it a try to bring back life in this car. He said, "I trust you and your father to restore and no need to hurry, take your time." Well, that was a tough call but two other 290 Mercedes was already there at my workplace. Hence, we got the courage to take this up.

The complete chassis with engine mounted on it with a broken grill and back with iconic star carrier arrived at my workshop. Everyone thought we have gone mad, its a mission impossible. Even people working at our place were surprised to see the state. Seeing the low morale, me and dad played a trick to get things started. We told, "We got this car as a reference for other two we are restoring. Lets open the mechanicals". This made things moving. The owner made regular visits to our workshop. Over time, he became hopeful to see this coming together. Then, he discussed colour and cosmetics. He also asked us to get Bosch headlamps, driving lamp, powerful dual horns and lets do a custom made rear mounted luggage. Then, we said,'The Mercedes Pullman Limousine is still in the making. Its a long way to reach there'. We continued sourcing accessories and cosmetics.It took us an year to start metal and wood work after completing the running chassis.After that, more six months to paint it in black.Then, we brought together the interiors and chrome and fittings.In today's fast pace world, it is not common to see the hard work, passion and true love that brought back the 290 Pullman to life.Surely, no other Mercedes would be a close and elegant than to us .
#cartist #findingartincars

Last edited by KPS : 9th April 2020 at 16:26.
KPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 16:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Finding Art in Cars|Series xx| is being compiled and posted here, with the kind permission from Himanshu. Many many thanks to him.
KPS - special thanks to you for taking the time out to compile this here

Wonderful to see the beautiful restorations from Mr Jangid

Best Regards and Drive Safe

Ram
Old 11th April 2020, 09:35   #22
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Triumph TR3 (1955-62 Triumph TR3 Details here)

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars| Series Part 16 |” Triumph, the Winning Formula ”

When this Triumph TR3 came to us, the car suffered from significant rust and damage from its poor previous repair. The car soon came back from the body shop, it really looked fantastic. We painted it in white, it turned out to be great. Then, we started the upholstery work, our client chose tan, and it ended up looking fantastic, in contrast to white body. About halfway through the restoration process, things really started to take its shape, and we were excited to see it coming together.

The Triumph TR3, the British sports car was still under restoration process. One day our client come with a surprise that the car is selected for driver parade for India's first Grand prix. These are rewards we happen to get at times while restoring these old machines. F1 coming to India was a dream come true to every Indian automobile enthusiast. I was no different and was more than excited to be part of it with our recently restored Triumph tr3. We were privileged to be a part of this grand event, and we took part to drive these machines a day prior to the event. On the next day, India hosted its first F1 Grand Prix my restored Triumph showed all its attitude at the driver parade on tracks . #cartist #findingartincars #vintagecars #classiccars #beauty #f1racing #travel #photography #triumphtr3

Last edited by KPS : 11th April 2020 at 09:52.
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 09:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

KPS, please keep this thread going. I go gaga watching these old beauties restored to their prime. One day I hope I will be able to afford one of them. Once restored how many kms a year can you expect to reliably run them - I guess that's a difficult question with a 'it depends'.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 09:52   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1947 Jaguar Mark IV 2.5 Litre, Ex-Dharampur. ( 1945-47 Jaguar Mark IV details here)

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars |Series Part 17 |”Queen of millions hearts”

A real head turner, this car was owned by a royal family before it in arrived Jaipur. It was very low runner with imposing two big headlights with chrome grill, standing under a huge courtyard. This classic saloon 2.5ltr engine 1947, Jaguar Mark IV brings the gentleman out of you, its a beautiful designed man-made machine, anyone can fall in love. So was the charm of this 'trailer queen'.

The elegant design was to be opened for restorations, luckily, there was less rust in the car. We painted it in grey with tan upholstery. The dash with wood, multiple meters, toggle switches was no more than aircraft cockpit. The original factory tool kit in the drop-down boot lid was quintessential and we sourced few missing tools to make it complete. The engine was fired after the overhauling and sounded no less than a musical instrument. The classic styled Jaguar was ready and won million hearts and awards in many events and rallies across country.

#findingartincars #vintagecars #classiccars #beauty #queen #travel #photography #jaguar #jaguarmk4 #jaguarclub #britishcar #elegant #carlover #restoration #jaguarclassic #india #jaipur #picoftheday #instacars #design #artist #restorer #workofart #handmade

KPS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 18:30   #25
BHPian

Re: Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.

Dear KPS Sir,

Thank you for compiling the restorations of this wonderful restorer. The cars are truly fantastic and a sight to behold. Keep the thread going!

Thanks,

Srinand.
Old 13th April 2020, 13:41   #26
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Buick Invicta ( 1959- 60 First Generation Buick Invicta Details here)

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 18|"Buick Overtakes Experience"
This car was more like a sculpture, huge amounts of chrome, all rusted fins, and many parts missing. It brought myriad stories intertwined into one, such as, Bikaner registration number got its connection with Rajasthan. Later, I came to know it belonged to Bikaner royal family in yester years. The new owner shared another interesting story. When he brought this car from his friend, his friend used to go with his grandfather for Sunday prayers in a Studebraker car. Every time, there used to come a moment when this car was overtaken by a Buick super 8. There are memories of each car that stays for lifetime. Once he made money, he simply collected Buick for use so no one else can overtake again. It is fascinating to hear such stories attached to cars that come for restoration.

This car received a frame off restoration. It has a rebuilt engine, rebuilt automatic transmission, rebuilt steering , new brakes, new radiator, new windshield, new window glass, new interior, re-chromed bumpers and polished stainless. The new green finish with original green and white interior and white top. The car runs and drives excellent, a great daily driver that draws a crowd wherever it goes. These are rarely seen cars and very desirable in India and off course it can overtake any car.

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-7.jpg
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 11:31   #27
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1947 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, Touring Saloon for The Maharaja of Mysore. Chassis #WFC57

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 19|” The Flying Lady”
Rolls-Royce is a rare classic car for any collector in India. This Silver Wraith was available as bare chassis from the factory in late 1940’s. This allowed buyers to choose the body by several notable coach builder. This Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith 1947 was made by Hooper & Co. The touring limousine is one of the most desired variants, only 69 examples were produced. It was brought as a project car, which was white and black with black interiors, divisional window, manual transmission, wood trims and with parts missing. It was finally restored to white colour with blue interiors, similar to its original delivery by Rolls Royce earlier.

Silver wraith became a collectible car in India. It exchanged hands after many years and new owner wanted us to redo the car to the next level of restoration. It was decided that we should paint the car in two tone maroon and black with tan interiors and wood with wall nut veneer. Mechanically, it was superb, powered by F-head design 4.3lt inline-6 cylinders engine with manual gearbox and with hydraulic brakes. Today, Silver wraith remains one of the greatest classic Rolls-Royce design. Its pre-war appearance with post-war innovation has made the model one of the most desirable to collectors. But for me is The Spirit of Ecstasy, as commonly said The Flying Lady is the hood ornament on every Rolls-Royce, a form of art which was designed by Sykes, a graduate of London’s Royal College of Art. Rolls will be parked sooner or later but the spirit of ecstasy has found a special space in my office.

Last edited by KPS : 15th April 2020 at 11:35.
KPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:34   #28
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars| Series Part 20|”In News ”
In the early days of our restorations, I still cherish the first newspaper story published for our efforts in making Jaipur, a hub for the automobile restoration industry. The story was covered by a local newspaper in Jaipur. The excitement of it did not even made me sleep. I anxiously waited for hawker to drop off the newspaper that day. The moment I heard the noise, I ran to pick that up and saw our publication. I started calling my friends and family and asked them to see the newspaper. Those were the days, I never imagined for such stupidities ever in my life now. Over the years, national and international media is been so kind and supportive to feature and published our efforts of both restoring cars and Cartist. But, the happiness of first recognition is always special and that too it featured our Mercedes pre-war rear to find in world now.

This Mercedes belongs to the family for almost a century now, they were dealers of Tata, Bajaj and Honda then. They offered us their car for restoration on recommendation from our family friends. I visited Lucknow to see the car – the city full of life, heritage and kababs. The car was soon sent to Jaipur In line 6-Cyclinder engine with single solex carburetor 4 speed manual transmission Independent suspension 4 -wheel hydraulic -assisted drum brakes two-seater roadster with rumble seat was all set to undergo major restorations after many decades. We painted in red colour with black upholstery after a painstaking restoration for more than a year. The car was finally sent to Lucknow in the truck, along with newspaper feature, as in those days we don’t have flatbed trucks to transport these machines. #findingartincars #vintagecars #classiccars #mercedes #merc #mercedesbenz #mercedesclassic #mercedeslovers #mercedesindia #vintagecarindia #vintagecarsdaily #news #media #cartist #jaipur #rajasthan

KPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:47   #29
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Cartist covers both Car and Art!

Quote:
CARTIST against COVID-19
“We support colours of India”

While restoring cars, I was introduced to art through my keen observations on the wall of royals and industrial houses. I instantly fell in love. Coming from a middle-class family, I was never been introduced to art nor we got the opportunity at school and college to experience. Slowly, my passion kept growing for cars and the search for art. I visited art galleries in search of automobile art but could find one. It was disappointing at times, but I was lucky to find few young artists in Jaipur and around Rajasthan. I started building small art collection then I realized these artist’s livelihoods depend on me purchasing art from my savings. I wanted to expand my vision to support them in a sustainable manner. That was the genesis of Cartist in Jaipur, which provided young artists a platform to showcase their creativity.

On World Heritage Day, a few years back we started the journey of Cartist. Today, on the same day, I have decided to give away my collection of 50 paintings to PM CARES Fund to show my solidarity in these difficult times.We will conduct a 24-hour online auction on May 9, 2020. The sale proceeds will be donated to PM CARES Fund for COVID-19.

Secondly, to support young artist community, we will also conduct an online auction of paintings created by these artists.100% sale proceeds will be transferred directly to artist’s account in these difficult times.

These paintings are of Ram Kumar – self-taught artist from a small village in Kishangarh, Ajmer. He used to stay next to our office as a caretaker. One day he came to show his creative artworks of palaces and car on canvas. At a first glance, I was stunned to see his skill and art. The first painting of MG TC came almost after 1 month. He was truly god gifted person, his artwork can be found with royal families and industrial houses.Unexpectantly, he passed away too soon and suddenly due to heart attack.I still have few of his artworks and giving away four of his artworks towards raising fund for PM CARES Fund for COVID-19.
We look forward to your support for this initiative.Please spread the word & act now. #cartistagainstcovid19

Quote:
CARTIST against COVID-19
"Memories"
Supriy Sharma, a humble and polite boy. He stayed near my workplace and visited often to show his art. I could see a deep connect with his roots to village life and Rajasthan in his artwork. One day, he showed me to make a sculpture of a tractor in wood. He received his art education from Rajasthan School of Art, Jaipur. The subject matter of his artworks inspired by his experiences of everyday life and nature surrounded by his rooted village atmospheric scenes of Rajasthan. Through his artworks, there is the execution of space with sparkling pigments reflected along with the implementation of natural elements of his native essence, surrounded by rural culture. There is the depiction of a lot of mediums through his artworks along with a variety of surfaces he applied such as trees, walls, papers and patios. In 2016, he created few artworks to show his expression and observation how he sees the world of automobiles. Few days before he departed to other world had come and shown me an article featured in a prominent Art Magazine and was really excited and working on a big canvas for his upcoming show next year in Mumbai. I never knew it would be our last meeting. He will be missed.
We give away four of his artworks towards raising fund for PM CARES Fund for COVID-19. We look forward to your support for this initiative. Please spread the word and act now. #cartistagainstcovid19

KPS is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks