Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 13:24   #1
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.

Himanshu Jangid of CARTIST, Jaipur, has been posting a series of car stories, on some of the fantastic cars he and his father have brought back to life . They are reputed restorers and have won many awards in prestigious events like Cartier.

Finding Art in Cars|Series xx| is being compiled and posted here, with the kind permission from Himanshu. Many many thanks to him.

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars| Series Part 1 |”Emotional and artistic affair
Restoring cars have always been an emotional and artistic affair. The foremost thing needed to restore cars in a garage is tools. Today, the world is struggling to fight with Corona Virus,finding tools to combat this menace. In this series ‘Finding art in cars’, I thought to write my experience of restoring cars in India and building India first and the only platform of automobile art CARTIST. I will start this post with the tools we use to restore vintage and classic cars.
Every time I hold a tool, we ignite the power to reimagine and reconstruct. These tools tell a journey of many years of cars and its belongings. We begin the process of unraveling these junk cars through these tools. Through the pathways of restoring, these tools witness hope in life by giving rebirth to these old machines. Born as a carpenter in India, we belong to the clan of God Vishwakarma (ancient architect of the universe), ultimate reality and deity of the creative power. Therefore, these tools have played a special place in our day to day lives. #findingartincars #vintagecars #classicars #artcars #cars #art #design
Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-1.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-2.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-3.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-4.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2020 at 08:21. Reason: As requested
KPS is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:50   #2
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.

Story of the 1947 Triumph 1800 Roadster

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 2|“Meet Ladoo, a car always with a smile”
1947 Triumph 1800 Roadster, a highly desirable classic car was lying in an automobile workshop for many years in Jaipur. Despite countless efforts, the owner was unable to restore this car to get back on the road for more than five years. Finally, he contacted us to see if we can restore this and get this going. When I first saw this, I related it to a famous Indian sweet- Ladoo, an aluminum body with woodwork as if laughing on us. The owner of the workshop was more than happy to hand it over to us. Driving back to my workplace owner told me he had carried a complete door assy in hand baggage from the UK and all workshop manuals & literature for the car.
Soon little bulbous triumph was at our workshop. I was impressed with brand new hubcaps with globe centers, new jaeger instruments and a box full of engine & mechanical spares. We started to work from scratch, woodwork then dealing with metals. Those days, we used to access aluminum wielders from outstation. As restoration progressed, it became a ritual to sit with the owner and my dad every other day to discuss the upholstery paints and other small little details with kachori and glass of lassi at my workplace soon the car was ready for a spin. This one car out of 2500 produced Triumph 1800 Roadster so far in the world was back on road. Our restored Triumph was often seen at the Jaipur Golf Course in those days. #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcars #artist #handmade #india

Old 6th April 2020, 15:01   #3
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Story of 1947-48 Bentley Mark VI, Ex Darbhanga

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 3|”Winged B, a dream car for many in this world”

It was same time of the season. On a Sunday morning, a Bentley MK6 RHD waiting under the shade to meet its new owner at Zor Bagh, New Delhi. The car paint was peeled off and some degree of bodywork, Engine 41/4 lt F head straight six needed overhauling. Interiors was worn out and trims eaten by rats, carpet soaked in water spillage for years. This car needed nut to blot restoration within a span of six months as it was meant to be used for wedding. Later, participation in India’s first Cartier Conquers the Elegance in Mumbai. At that time, no one in India would have imagined taking up and complete a restoration project in such a short time. Yet, we took it as a challenge.

In April 2009, the car arrived at my workplace from Delhi. We begin to unravel its pieces and kickstarted work on a war footing. To my surprise, things were way much worse when we started opening up than anticipated during our initial inspection. We opened up the full car in a week time. Research on the car was ongoing day and night. As I recall, interior of the car and fiber engine gear was not available anywhere, which led to unprecedented delays. Finally, we found it. In 5 months, the car was delivered to its Delhi owner on time. We took a test drive on a lazy Sunday, deserted streets of Delhi with its proud owner. He used the car as modern day machine spinning it wheels on roads. This car will always be special and close to my heart as it not only marked a celebration for the family but fast tracked the restoration time in India almost a decade ago.
#cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars

KPS is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:08   #4
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1935 Mercedes-Benz 290 Cabriolet D, Rajkot car

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part4 |” Star-studded a Royal Affair”

Took an early morning flight to Ahmedabad, then drove 4 hours to reach Rajkot. The trip was to see one of the most exclusive Mercedes Benz vintage cars in India. The car was cocooned in a garage of Rajkot Palace. This rare Mercedes came to India during pre-war times and star-studded treasure trove is hard to find. I was mesmerized to see at first, I realized how behind the unprepossessing gates such automotive gems are kept. The car was covered with memories of the unseen world in front of me, layers of dust over its body covered it to save these for many years. I stayed for almost two hours until the car was moved out and air spray was given to it. While seeing the car absent from dust, it was clear in my mind that it’s a car not for restorations but for preservation. But it wasn’t an easy decision for the family as they wanted to use a restored car for their daughter's marriage. At last, we came to the conclusion, it’s a car meant to be preserved for the world.
The Mercedes Benz 290 W18 Cabriolet D reached Jaipur to undergo restoration, especially the prevention of next-generation original factory paint and in good condition. A small unobstructed blend on a rear panel, all windshield and door glass scratch less. Little rust on chrome needed to be polished, mechanicals need to be done but we kept everything with old patina and finish, set of new tires, leather, and hood small little repair. The carpet had some cracks and torn out, we ended up using the old one. Check the complete wiring harnesses replaced few belts and hoses. It took painstaking efforts and continuous research to preserve the car close to original work. The car won Cartier Conquers travel with style in 2015 and back to Rajkot the Palace as a true legacy for Mercedes heritage.
#cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcars #artist #handmade #india #findingartincars #oldtimers #driveclassics #vintagecarsinindia #carlovers #mercedesbenz

KPS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:14   #5
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1954 Cadillac Series 62 Special Fleetwood

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part5|"Big, Bold and Beautiful"
I used to receive a call from an industrialist from Delhi every now and then to inquire about cars for sale. One fine morning, he called me to inform that he managed to get a Cadillac from his family friends. He asked my email address to share the pictures. I was eagerly waiting to receive his email but did not receive any. I thought it must be a prank. Next morning, he called to inform that his staff will send email by afternoon. Finally, the email arrived with lots of pictures of the car. To my surprise, it was a beautiful Cadillac 1954 series Sixty two Special Fleetwood. He again called to ensure that I receive the email. I said to him, ‘Thank you for sharing, it is an important car would like to restore it’. Then, he visited our workplace on Sunday to finalize things. After meeting, he was convinced and asked his staff to transport the car to Jaipur on Monday.
This big finned and large domed hood V8 big block engine, four speed automatic transmission reached our workshop for complete nut to bolt restoration. In my memories, all the chrome was re-plated, clock and dash cluster was rebuilt, original antenna, wonder bar radio was restored and converted to play both AM&FM ,new Coker Radial wide whitewalls, shocks, Body Mounts, weatherstrips, new handmade cloth wrapped wiring harness, engine and transmission went for overhauling. All new glass, power window and seats rebuild, and boxes of new parts were ordered for the car. Finally, we decided to paint it in a light blue colour with interiors restored to the original colors & patterns. It took one year before it was shown to the world again in Mumbai for Cartier"Travel with Style" Concours d'Elegance. The car received enormous appreciation and won accolades and awards for the show. #findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcar #artist #handmade #oldtimers #driveclassic #vintagecarsinindia

KPS is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:24   #6
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1947 MGTC

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars| Series Part 6| ”Classic British design for a race ”
Tiny proportions, open-top, wire wheels, standalone headlights and tall radiator grill with badges. This is the signature 'Classic car", a post- war MG TC, which has the capacity to take you in the time when motoring was a lot more fun. That time when no speed cameras, no traffic lights, no beeps for seat belts and no internet was present for your cars. As I recall, my dad always used to say it was a car for pilots in 50's. Pilots used to race them on airstrips in those days. We met MG-TC’s owner in an event in Delhi, he was keen to restore his cars with us. We instantly bonded over our Jaipur roots. After a long hiatus of limited communication with him, one day almost after a year he called me to join for coffee and to see his cars. Finally, we agreed to restore his MGTC, as the first car for them. Though at first glance, it seemed a complete car but, needed complete restoration.
We opened the full car first, worked on rust, then cleaned the chassis, body panel sand blast. We need to fabricate many parts, such as petrol tanks, rear guard, firewall and door panel. We hand crafted overall woodwork again. Though the car seems small in size yet required many detailed works. Such intricate details were worked out for interiors, we got leather seats and complete instruments redone. Coming to basic mechanics, we overhauled the four-cylinder engine with two SU carburettor, got metal sheet painted with British racing green and new 19-inch tires were fitted to spokes wheels. Almost after a year, the car got on the road. It was ready for the spin, only thing that crossed my mind, "An MG TC's 0-100kmh time was about 23 seconds, which was deemed respectable for a sports car of the era". So, why not bring back the golden era again by cruising it again.
Photo by: @chintu_pathak #findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcar #artist #handmade #india #oldtimer #driveclassic #vintagecarsinindia #carlover #mgtc

KPS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:31   #7
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar Mark 2

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part7|"Joy ride with big Cat"
It was a wintery morning, our car stopped on the highway for tea. The rustic tea stall owner greeted, ‘Ram Ram Sa’. People gathered around the car and started taking selfies with their mobiles. We drove to Jodhpur from Jaipur to attend a vintage car rally and hand over this beauty to its proud owner after restoration. The first stop at Dhabha was special as the owner offered us complementary tea and showcased exceptional hospitality. Rajasthan knows it right "Padharo Mare Desh". At various stops on our way, first Ajmer, Beawar midway. people used to overtake our car and made us stop to take pictures. Every passerby was so elated to see us and happily waving their hands. By the time we reached Jodhpur, we garnered cheer, smiles and joy of strangers from all walks of life. Indeed, it made me feel special, but the real reason was driving in a Jaguar MK2.
At Jodhpur, we were hosted by a dinner with other rally participants. Next morning, our car was put to display for locals. As per the plan, the rally was supposed to be flag off from Umaid bhawan Palace to Khimsar fort for lunch and later an evening prize distribution ceremony at the grand Mehrangarh fort. We were elated and were looking forward to this. The car was behaving very well after nut to bolt restoration, we painted this in BRG with brown leather interiors, new spoke wheels, brand new woodwork with walnut veener, overhauled the transmission and engine with new suspension and brakes. I was supposed to drive it to khimsar fort but as we have brought other cars for rally, I drove a Mustang Mach1 on that day. After lunch at khimsar fort, later we had a memorable evening amid hundreds of classic and vintage cars with like-minded people at the extravagant Mehrangarh Fort.
photo by: Nitin D Singh
#findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcars #artist #handmade #india #oldtimer #driveclassic #vintagecarsinindia #carlover #jaguar #jaguarmk2 #classicjaguar #britishcars #jaipur #khimsar #khimsarfort #restorationproject

Old 6th April 2020, 15:37   #8
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes 200 Pullman

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 8|"A bond that never dies"
I was on a day trip with friends in Agra - city of Taj Mahal. Before heading, I called a local car dealer in Agra to inquire if I can see any relevant cars on my trip. But he said, 'Nothing'. We were about to enter the Taj, I got a call from the dealer he asked me,'Have you arrived? There is a pre-war Mercedes but he will not sell the car.' My focus shifted momentarily from Taj to Mercedes that he mentioned. My excitement/anxiety made my friends annoyed. But, I pleaded them to spare few minutes to see that car on our way back to Jaipur. Finally, they agreed and we headed into a old big bungalow. I asked the guard for the owner. He went inside and came back to let us in. An old man with his grandson came to meet us and said 'How can I help you?' I requested him to see his Mercedes. First he said no without any hesitation. Then, don't know what happened, he said 'Come, I will show you but no mobile allowed.' I was super excited, it was a beautiful machine well kept with everything in place. While leaving his place, I sincerely thanked him for his kind gesture and exchanged our numbers.
One day I got a call from the same person to check if I have any buyer for his car. I said 'Yes'. The deal was made and I personally went to pick up the car from his place in a trailer. Uncle requested if he can drive it for the last time. That was an emotional moment, three generations sat in the car drove to it destination. I saw tears in eyes of old man. This is a connect you have it with cars you own anywhere in the world.

Mercedes 200 Pullman is a large body with spacious interiors that could provide comfortable seating for seven. Powered by straight in line six cylinders. The Pullman was not a race car, yet it did indicate the owner's social and financial status through its size. We restored the car in silver color and black interiors I was not convinced by it. In the end, its all about our customer's choices. #findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcars #artist #handmade #india #oldtimer #driveclassic #vintagecarsinindia #carlovers #mercedes #mercedesbenz

Old 6th April 2020, 15:44   #9
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1931 Chevrolet AE Independence Pheaton

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars |Series Part 9 | “Hot Rod vs Baby Cadillac winner Independence ”
Early Chevy and Ford cars are common to find across the world, it is the same in India. I have a dream to create a hot rod for myself. I pick up a Chevy 1931 and started research work to know how to convert it into a hot rod. While I was researching about the car, I was forced to stop midway this project. I got to know that it was not a regular Chevrolet Independence, which was rolled out of factory production – 619,554 models produced in the year 1931. But this Chevrolet AE Independence was one of the 800 Phaeton made by Chevy in 1931. With these historic perspective behind this Chevy, it took short time to find a new owner. Alas, my dream was holded back and project hot rod is still on my wish list.

We started working on Chevy Chassis, starting with metal and woodwork. It was powered by the six cylinder overhead valve engine that was introduced in 1929. The reason to build this engine was the response to Ford Motor company success with model "A'. In Ford, they used a four cylinder engine. It’s interesting to know that during those times, Chevy pushed a marketing campaign with a slogan, "Get a six for the price of a four." Chevy used this engine with minor changes till late 50's. As we progressed restoring the car, we had multiple conversations with the owner over its body work, paint and interiors Finally, we decided to paint it in two tone yellow and black with black interiors, though it was not its original color. In yesteryears, the car was called "Baby Cadillac ". Here at our work place, we embarked on our mission to bring back the golden times to make it our Indian version of Baby Cadillac. It has a dramatically curved cross bar with mounted headlight, higher and larger radiator and a redesigned hood with opening louver doors with wire wheel with beautiful chrome wheel caps. But my best take away is the radiator hood ornament "Eagle".
Photo by Chintu Pathak
#findingartincars #cartist #restorer #oldcars #artist #handmade #india #driveclassic #vintagecarsinindia #chevy

KPS is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:57   #10
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1959 Impala convertible

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 10|"The hidden Desire"

Restoring cars in India is a huge challenge to meet the expectation of owner. It is more about winning at various competitions and rallies than bringing back life to old machines. Restoring a car is a mastery art. In real life, it typically ends up into an examination. Once, I was invited to see "Batwing fins" for restoration. The owner showed me his collection of cars and wanted us to restore one of the car for Conquers with same expectation – winner. I assured him to make my best efforts that will restore to pristine condition.

Yes, it was the Impala 1959, with "Batwings Fins" and "Cateyes" taillights, 2 door convertible, one of the most distinct vehicles in American automobile history. The car finally arrived in Jaipur for Nut to Bolt restoration. Engine and Tri-Power automatic power glide transmission needed overhauling, drum brakes stops, dual exhaust was missing, rear mount antenna was not mounted, dual outside mirrors and few chrome strips were absent. Further, power convertible top was not working, metal sheet rusted, white with blue rotten interiors was all ready to undergo transformation. To restore this car to its original state, I referred to range of books and shop manuals. The car was painted in original white with red interiors. The smallest of details like screw to washer were taken care of. The day come when the car met its owner at the Conquers in Delhi. Then, there we had two other cars in same category restored by us with the same expectations and the toughest competition with all my babies. As we know, winner is only one and winner takes it all. That day was for Impala 1959 to make it to the top.#findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcar #artist #handmade #india #oldtimer #driveclassic #vintagecarsinindia #carlover #impala #chevy #americancars

KPS is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 16:03   #11
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1937 Mercedes 230 Pullman, Ex-Bhavnagar State

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 11|” Ashes to Phoenix journey of Star Car”
While in Pune, I met Amulya Dahanukar and his brother Pankaj for breakfast. Having early morning breakfast is a luxury found only in Pune. Keen car enthusiasts both brothers discussed about cars and exploring possibilities to restore their car with us. They told me to inform soon until they complete their chase for a special car. In India, common phase ‘soon’ many times end us never. But it was not the case for the story with Amulya. He called me to share the pictures of the car. I saw pictures of the car in a dark garage room, seems abandoned by the owner for many years. When we connected back, he enquired about the car, I told “It’s a rare car but the condition has been deteriorated over time.” He invited me to Pune to see the car and take this as my project to restore.
The car reached soon in Jaipur. It was a Mercedes 230 Pullman 1937 model, few surviving in the world. This car originally belongs to Bhavnagar state and thoroughly robust in its build and a sturdy luxury. The car came in bits and pieces, with no wood left for reference, inside partition was missing, a frame of seats with the rusted body. It required major work on the body and on top of it we do not have much references and literature for these pre-war Mercedes and even sourcing parts is a challenge. Amulya soon visited the workshop in Jaipur and decided to get a car painted in black with maroon interiors, along with dual side-mounts chromed. It took more than a year to get motor rolling on wheels for paint. On the other end, maroon leather seats and interiors were made created with wood trims. We fabricated major parts for this car as availability of parts was a challenge. This entire process of fabrication was quite a complicated process. It was our honour to restore this such a special pre-war Mercedes-Benz, rarest of the rare. Finally, the car got on the road with a new life and new owner Dahanukar's Brothers.
Photo by Amulya Dahanukar
#findingartincars #vintagecars #mercedes #classiccars

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-5.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-6.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-7.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-8.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-9.jpg

Last edited by KPS : 6th April 2020 at 16:18.
Old 6th April 2020, 16:14   #12
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes 290, Ex- Salar Jung III. He was the Prime Minister of Hyderabad during the reign of Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam

Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 12| “Black beauty- The treasure to behold”
Hyderabad, the city of Nizams and their jewels. I visited to pick one of the jewels of Salar Jung III. This was Mercedes 290, which was been standing with few other beauties in factory shade in the heart of the city. It was Salar Jung’s car,the seventh Nizam of Hyderabad, who collected myriad art and artefacts from across the world.The Mercedes standing with other cars at the factory shade, any petrol head can get the sense of something special was waiting. I still remember the car was really in a bad shape with all rust and almost no paint on the metal. Even though a man was seen busy cleaning the car. My first glimpse of the car made me fell in love. Even, I dropped my plan for Hyderabad biryani in afternoon. But Hyderabadi’s never failed to disappoint on the hospitality front. They made sure to order a special Paradise biryani then and there and we relished it with flavours with Mercedes. Finally, we loaded the car in the carrier for Jaipur.
The car was soon in Jaipur – Mercedes 290 special Saloon with six-cylinder side valve engine with deteriorating condition. We decided to go for nut to bolt restorations for this beauty. After rounds of discussion with the owner, we decided to paint it in all black with black interiors. It was a special car with very limited reference points available for us, whether on internet, reference manuals or shop manuals. Despite these, we complete the car in a year with ground up restoration from new wood work, metal work, upholstery, new wiring harness, suspension, brakes, engine and gear box overhauling and cosmetics. The car received many awards and been featured in many national and international books and magazine. Undoubtedly, it remains one of the gems of 1930’s Mercedes Benz in India.
#findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #cars #artcar #artist #handmade #jaipur #india #mercedesbenz #mercedeslovers #mercedes #mercedesclassic

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-8.jpg

Stories of Himanshu Jangid of Cartist, Jaipur.-9.jpg

Last edited by KPS : 6th April 2020 at 16:19.
KPS is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 07:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:54   #14
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
Quote:
Finding Art in Cars|Series Part 13|”Tail fins- Model for our Photoshoot”
It was an early morning of November, I reached my workplace to take newly restored Chevy to India's largest saline lake - Sambhar Lake. Sambhar is situated about 70 km from Jaipur. We decided to do a photoshoot with Chevy for our yearly Heritage Calendar. We took an exit at Mokhampura, 45 kms on Jaipur-Ajmer highway. After the exit, we need to cover another 25 odd kms. We took a tea break at Mokhampura. As we move towards Sambhar, the real country-side starts showing up its colours n myriad forms, old buildings, cattles, children, tractors with double trolley. We had planned to shoot the car with old railway tracks behind rustic architecture and salt collection point. As we reached Sambhar city,it was quite a disappointment. So we changed our plan.
Finally, we decided to take Chevy two ten to Sambhar lake near Shakambari Mata temple. The site made our day, it was serene and magnificent. Our eyes could see stretch of dry salt. We got our model ready with chrome trims and exterior clean. The famous '57 Chevrolet tail fins with inline 6-cylinder engine with two tone colour copper and white was all set to facing camera. It saw through the cockpit with center milometer, two small gauges on both side with huge steering wheel with two ten logo and chevrolet script on right side the infinity in front of it . The car was the center of attraction for people around, but we did not miss the opportunity to take a picture. It was a memorable day to create a artistic endeavor with our restored Chevy. We could also seal the memory in our calendar.#findingartincars #cartist #restorer #vintagecars #classiccars #americanclassiccars #cars #artist #handmade #sambhar #jaipur

KPS is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 13:57   #15
BHPian

You have worked magic on these time worn but extraordinary machines. An amazing job to have been able to reclaim for them the elegance and sophistication of a bygone era.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks