Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 17:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Padminis, Ambassadors and the vehicle scrappage policy

I feel Scrappage policy is welcome . They can have 10/15/20 and even 25 years depending upon the place of use, kms driven ( provided it can be authenticated) . For vintage ownership and not use special permission can be given. But vehicles need to be scrapped not resold at some point. A time may come this policy can be extended to buildings also based on fitness for 50 /75 years and above.
HYDRAVI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 20:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Scrappage policy is very much welcome, but where it'd trickle down and applied to is key. My personal wish, preference and on a pressing urgency would be to scrap all trucks, buses, tuktuks older than 14 years old especially crappy old diesel mills, these are absolute disgrace to fellow drivers, mother earth and humanity as a whole.

With the enthusiasts part is where it gets mucky, a vintage car maintained by an enthusiast can still go about for some more years, but eventually with the tree huggers gaining momentum and for good, the future for these are more or less, touch it, feel it, and get over it. Sadly!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:00   #33

I feel this scrappage policy is brilliant! Most fantastic!
It will make India the most superior in just a generation or two!
Bear with me, here's my reasoning-
1. Force old vehicle owners to lose their vehicles, face it, it's mostly everyone except the 0.1%
2. Combine with the complete lack of practical public transportation in most places.
3. If you aren't fit enough to cycle or walk to your workplace, hey.. you always have the option of starving to death! (Thumbs up if you WFH!)

Pure Darwinism to ensure that only the fittest families survive! Yay!

They will have to pry my 30 year old Jeep and Bullet from my cold dead hands!
panda_ammonium is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda_ammonium View Post
I feel this scrappage policy is brilliant! Most fantastic!
It will make India the most superior in just a generation or two!
Bear with me, here's my reasoning-
1. Force old vehicle owners to lose their vehicles, face it, it's mostly everyone except the 0.1%
2. Combine with the complete lack of practical public transportation in most places.
3. If you aren't fit enough to cycle or walk to your workplace, hey.. you always have the option of starving to death! (Thumbs up if you WFH!)

Pure Darwinism to ensure that only the fittest families survive! Yay!

They will have to pry my 30 year old Jeep and Bullet from my cold dead hands!
One great thing about the scrappage policy is that it got a 10-year old member to finally pen his first post Welcome to Team BHP at long last
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:01   #35

Thank you sir, I've always been a lurker, what's miraculous is that the scrappage policy made me remember a ten year old pass word in the first shot!
panda_ammonium is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
My friend who has an i10 from 2008 was once stopped by the cops who were trying to check if the car has completed 15 years. Other than this, I have seen countless innovas being stopped for this.
I second that. I have a 2006 Honda City (MH Registration driven in Delhi) which was being stopped since the last 6 months at every check point.

It was so bad that I finally sent it back to Bombay last year to be used by my family as a 2nd car as they have limited running. Registration will be extended shortly. The registration is due to expire on 26th JAN 2021.

I still like the vehicle over the current crop of vehicles in the market and I can bet that it would perform as good as any new vehicle fresh from the show room.

This is what the cops deem to be unfit (taken just prior to loading for shipping to Bombay) when black smoke belching taxis go scot free...

Padminis, Ambassadors and the vehicle scrappage policy-inked20210109_141227_li.jpg
Padminis, Ambassadors and the vehicle scrappage policy-inked20210109_141235_li.jpg
Padminis, Ambassadors and the vehicle scrappage policy-20210109_141343.jpg

This is madness and sign of typical high handedness of the government. If you cannot enforce then ban. Reminds me of the sun-films debacle a few years back.
shomeet is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:13   #37

I've always dreamt of getting back my first love - Premier Padmini.

Pursuing it for years now I thought it would come true maybe within a year or two. But with the new scrappage policy its all ruined. Nevertheless, I still intend to get my hands on one & preseve it in my private property thru' its life (and mine !!!).
FIFTH GEAR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 17:02   #38
BHPian

Our first car in the family was an Ambassador Mark IV with a BMC engine and a column gear. My Father sold the car after using it for several years and upgraded to a Mahindra Scorpio in 2005. Since the Mark IV was our first car, I have a special place in my heart for Ambassador cars, especially if it's a Mark IV. A lot of my childhood travel was in this Mark IV. I was scouting for a good Mark IV for the past six months, since I always wanted to own this piece of history in my garage. I have been following the news about the proposed scrappage policy for a while. Now I have found a Mark IV in a decent condition and a reasonable price but this proposed scrappage policy is holding me back from going ahead. I am supposed to take a final call with the dealer tomorrow. Mostly I will go ahead and take this car. Hoping that the Government does not make the scrappage policy a mandatory one!
raghulsudheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 17:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

[quote=raghulsudheesh;5017353. Mostly I will go ahead and take this car. Hoping that the Government does not make the scrappage policy a mandatory one![/QUOTE]
Go ahead and get the car. The scrappage policy is not going to be made mandatory for private vehicles. At best it will be coming with lot of disincentives for keeping old cars. But if you are ready to bear with those things you need not have much concern.

Last edited by ajay99 : 9th March 2021 at 17:45.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 17:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Some intimidating statements from the Union Transport Ministry to injure the sentiments of old car owners are being read/viewed in the media by us since the past few days. I have drafted and sent a representation to the PMO against the proposed draconian Green Tax and Hiked Fitness Fees. Would request all friends to send it to the PMO so that we can try to check the damage before it's done. We as enthusiasts may be able to save our 15-49 year old cars, but would like the others to survive, not scrapped out of frustration with unwanted the tax hikes.

The latest :-

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/81380750.cms

Please edit the text below in the box as per your choice. Since there is hardly anytime for finalisation of the Scrappage Policy (2-3 weeks as press reports say) , please send the representation immediately.

The link to the PMO portal:-

You will have to give particulars as desired. The category is Public Grievances.

https://pmopg.gov.in/pmocitizen/Grievancepmo.aspx

* Please enter Grievance Description upto 4000 characters
* Special characters like ^ [ ^ { } ` ~ | ^ & # ! \ [ \ ] < > ] $ are not allowed.

The representation :- (2759 characters only)

Quote:
Respected Sir, I wish to thank the PMO for the voluntary vehicle scrappage policy, wherein 20 plus year old private cars will be only subject to scrapping if they are not able to meet the Automated Fitness Test criteria. A Green Tax levy and a hefty hike in Fitness Test Fees are being proposed by the Transport Ministry. Wish to inform you that the draconian hikes in such fees proposed are extremely regressive and will perturb, frustrate, create mental agony and disturb the financial and mental well being of most such old car owners who happen to be either daily wagers or from the lower middle class or retired senior citizens or enthusiasts who preserve their family jewels in most cases. The hefty hike in such taxes and the Green tax aims to compel many such old car owners from the above categories to opt for scrapping their prized possessions with a heavy heart. Many will not be able to buy replacements. Such coercive methods for people with limited sources of income are uncalled for and totally avoidable. Old cars are very sparingly used. A congregation of cars in a parking lot or in a traffic jam will show only five to ten percent of such cars. If old is replaced by new by some owners, the usage will go up five to ten fold resulting in pollution and spurt in fuel consumption and import bills. No civilized democracy in the world follows coercive policies for vehicle scrapping with such unreasonable taxes and hikes, making their ownership frustrating. China follows a compulsory vehicle scrapping policy, but are we to emulate China? Old cars have a financial valuation and are national wealth for any country. The United Kingdom has an estimated 1.2 billion, 30 year or older motor vehicles worth 17.8 billion UK pounds or Rs 167,000 crores. Other western democracies are in the process of determining their national wealth from older vehicles. Germany and UK have recognised 30 year or older motor vehicles and Young Timers and these are prized possessions for their owners. In Delhi where old cars have been scrapped, the pollution for 2019-20 and 2020-21 winter smog and AQI were the worst ever in history. The pollution due to private cars is only a fraction. The other causative factors need to be identified. Such policies should be people centric and not vested interest centric. I would be very happy if you can look into the matter and restrain the hikes in fitness fees and hefty Green Tax levies on old cars that would be very regressive and damaging to the owners. Scrapping should be voluntary and unfit vehicles need not be given fitness certificate. But coercion with regressive, exorbitant fees and taxes on ownership of old cars should not be a matter of government policy for its common people. Yours Respectfully,
(Name)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 21:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
My 800 is due for renewal in next 3 months. My WagonR is due for her 2nd renewal in 2025 and my Palio is due for a renewal in 2022.

There is no point taking stress over the issue. I plan to keep the Palio and the 800 for as long as I can. Even if it means being a road unworthy vehicle, no big deal. I'm sure somewhere down the years someone will have the sense to make them legal again.
Nope. We need not worry.Our cars will be with us for sure. All we have to make sure is that they function good. I guess, this policy has us running to keep the cars in good condition more than aestetics. I welcome this policy now since they will only take it away if we are unable to tend to the vehicles.

Thanks
Retrogrease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 21:26   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
In case this helps, my friend's a used car dealer and what he told me is that the rule won't be a mandatory scrap but more like you can't re register your vehicle after 15 years. So if you're the owner at 15 years, you own it for life and your only option later is to scrap it, not sell it. Your car looks fantastic and I hope to see it become a vintage some day
Thank you for the appreciation. But you should see the condition of the car now - it is nowhere close to how it was before. Its a paint job gone bad now. My efforts to take preventive maintenance on the body backfired - not because of the paint, but the painter. He has done a terrible job scraping the paint out looking for rust and was plotting to scam me at the end of it. So now, it looks like a Dalmatian with Putty patches all over it. I shall post a picture of the result once I come in contact with a worthy painter.

Thanks.
Old 21st April 2021, 03:30   #43
BHPian

In my humble opinion, the vehicle scrappage policy like many others is an mis-conceived, half-baked one by the transport ministry and mis-communicated by the finance ministry. Many developed nations have laws and rules that help preserve the piece of history by allowing special license plates to vintage/historic vehicles to differentiate them from regular day-to-day vehicles. The registration charges for classic/historic vehicles are far lower than the normal day-to-day vehicles.

Its easy for one to understand how un-prepared when this policy got announced. Country like India is nowhere closer to dump a major population of vehicles, instead its going to create even dire economic woes, raising inflation, food prices, commodities etc. if all of a sudden older vehicles needs to be replaced with newer vehicles.

There was a mention there will be incentives to scrap the old vehicles to buy a new one. What are the specifics of this and how much of an incentive that is? As long as the vehicles pass the emission and fitness inspection, the registration should be renewed for them.

These kind of un-informed and half-baked policies will only increase the mistrust in the government (in-case if there is anything already).
Old 21st April 2021, 18:36   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

An important update in post # 55 on this thread. Please also go through the other interesting posts herein:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...lder-cars.html (Representing against the new Re-registration & Fitness Tax hike proposals for older cars)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:23   #45
BHPian

This topic is brewing in every car group on WhatsApp asking everyone to sign petitions but really what I feel is the real policy would be very watered down . Also saying automatic testing machines would make it impossible for old cars to pass the fitness tests is an irony because there are polluting buses plying with no pollution test certificate made by computers itself in this country lol
Only thing I feel would make classic car owners life miserable could be hiking fees ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks