Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 07:10   #1

Rust Control for Classic cars??

Hi Folks,

As I had mentioned in my last posting, I was about to get my Heckflosse Mercedes repainted. While searching online I came across two supposedly very effective products, Rust Bullet and POR 15 which are applied before the primer goes on. The only problem is shipping it to India- the toal cost for a gallon of rust proofer comes up to $250 which is quite steep. Does anybody know any alternatives that can be locally sourced- what has your experience been with any of the locally available products (and I'm not aware of anything else other than primer)?

Thanks
Boban
Old 30th April 2007, 17:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I've heard of something called MRF Zinc coat.....although yet to try it..you should get it in the major cities.....its similar to the zinc-converter rust coats available abroad.....
You can also try 'chassis black' paint.....available esp. in coastal cities.....
Old 21st January 2009, 19:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie366 View Post
Hi Folks,

As I had mentioned in my last posting, I was about to get my Heckflosse Mercedes repainted. While searching online I came across two supposedly very effective products, Rust Bullet and POR 15 which are applied before the primer goes on. The only problem is shipping it to India- the toal cost for a gallon of rust proofer comes up to $250 which is quite steep. Does anybody know any alternatives that can be locally sourced- what has your experience been with any of the locally available products (and I'm not aware of anything else other than primer)?

Thanks
Boban

There is a product made by Kemikox Industries at Kolkata. It is called RUSTCON. It converts rust oxide into rust phosphate. When you apply it on the bare metal it turns black. After that you can paint over it. But it costs around Rs.750 per litre. It is not a permanent solution but could delay the rust process. Mohaan
Old 9th February 2009, 18:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
There is a product made by Kemikox Industries at Kolkata. It is called RUSTCON. It converts rust oxide into rust phosphate. When you apply it on the bare metal it turns black. After that you can paint over it. But it costs around Rs.750 per litre. It is not a permanent solution but could delay the rust process. Mohaan
RUSTCON - it is manufactured by KEMIKOX FORMULATORS PVT. LTD., Regd. Office & Factory: S 27, Phase - III, Kasba Industrial Estate, Kolkata - 700 107. Mohaan
Old 9th February 2009, 23:06   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie366 View Post
Does anybody know any alternatives that can be locally sourced
If you strictly follow any of the modern 2k paint systems you can quite effectively protect your car from rust. None of the commercial paintshops go to the extent of using wash primers which essentially inhibit rust and provide the best base for the primers, provided you've sanded down to metal with the right grit.

You are getting some fabulous materials now in India. Study the Dupont refinishing system if you want to understand what all you can do for your car's finish. There's ICI and many others
Old 6th October 2009, 12:13   #6
BHPian

rustbullet has branch in delhi also and por 15 has branch in hyderabad.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:24   #7
BHPian

Rust Prevention On Classic Cars

Hi guys. I wanted to ask you if you've ever heard about anyone putting a sacrificial anode on a car? It's basically bolting a reactive piece of metal on to the metal you're trying to protect. What happens, is the sacrificial anode corrodes before the steel or aluminum does. So it basically protects it from corroding and rusting out. They put these on all kinds of things like the oil pipeline made of steel, radiator caps to protect aluminum radiators, outboard motors on boats to protect the steel and aluminum metal etc. Anyways, I was thinking about putting a sacraficial anode on my Chrysler. If you do it right, it should eliminate rust problems all together. I could use magnesium or zinc, both of which are more reactive than steel.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 30th December 2009, 20:31   #8
BHPian

How about MRF epoxy coating for the underbody and platforms.?
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
How about MRF epoxy coating for the underbody and platforms.?
Does rubber paint under the body protection helps in preventing rust. I want to do a rust protection coat under the floor boards of my car so is there any good brand paint available in the market.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post

This rustcon should be the phosphoric acid. It also converts the ferrous oxide (red rust) to ferrous phosphate (black rust, which is stable / inactive rust). It could cost around INR 125 to 150 per litre (pre-diluted for direct apply/use) in a chemical dealer (especially in an industrial area/estate). I found it in our nearby Peenya Industrial Estate called 'Srinivasa Chemicals', in Bangalore/Bengaluru.

However the pure phosphoric acid would cost INR 750 / liter but need professional hands to handle, unlike the pre-diluted.

The surface after treatment should be painted within day or two after 1 day after application to stop the rust from becoming active again.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:11   #11
BHPian

Just bought a product called "Rust Bullet" which will be applied to my car which is undergoing a paint especially on the floor pans. Hear it is an excellent product although very expensive. 1 Pint costs about Rs. 2500/- bucks. More information about the product can be found in Rust Inhibitor Paint | Stop Rust | Rust Corrosion Inhibitor | Rust Converter
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Does rubber paint under the body protection helps in preventing rust. I want to do a rust protection coat under the floor boards of my car so is there any good brand paint available in the market.
WURTH is good, has a matt-finish. Dries up real fast too.

Dunlop "pitch" also is good, has a more glossy-ish finish, but the texture has an appearance like tar, so better to have it applied professionally for a proper finish.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:18   #13
BHPian

At the recently held Autojumble at New Delhi, a company displayed their anti rust product, which not only prevents rust but stops rust from spreading further after application, the details of the company are as under:

Sachiv Dhawan (CEO)
Automotive Solutions.
(ISO 9001:2008)
11/9 Ground Floor , Old Rajinder Nagar.
New Delhi-110060. India.
Mobile - 93500 42380.
Tel - 011-470 37026 , 98100 37026, 93100 37026.
Email : automotive_solutions2000@yahoo.co.in
Customer Support : automotivesolutions@airtelmail.in
Attached Thumbnails
Rust Control for Classic cars??-rusted_metal_coatings.jpg  

Old 31st December 2010, 15:31   #14
BHPian

Re: Rust Control for Classic cars??

Hello,

I wanted to share the process that we are following for my Mercedes 180a resto job.

I managed to find a metal phosphate converter/rust converter at around Rs.190/- locally manufactured by Chemtex Industries in Kolkata. They are bulk suppliers so had to buy the 5 litre can. First this is being applied to the bare metal. Then after it dries, it is being wiped off by a clean cloth. After that we are using MRP Zinc Phosphate Epoxy primer which is around Rs.700/- per litre.

There is another product called zinc rich primer which is supposed to be better than zinc phosphate but that is only available in 20 litre jars.

After all this, the paint of course. Am going to use old fashioned NC paint, and then top it of with a coat of lacquer.

Regards
Prithvi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks