Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 15:34   #211
Senior - BHPian

saw alot of cars being restored in a garage in delhi, was'nt allowed to take pics of the cars as their owners had given strict instructions. most of the cars were being restored for a private collector who does'nt like being in the limlight. there were
1) ford fairline
2) two buicks supers conv n hardtop
3) lincoln conti mark 3 ( 2 door)
4) humber
5) mercedes 220s conv
6) chevrolet conv
7)desoto conv
and a couple of other cars as well they were stored really close with plants growing all around could'nt get near to see them closely. the next time i get a chance to go there i shall take pics
Old 8th August 2007, 17:42   #212
Senior - BHPian

Great Find. Where are these cars? Pune..Hyderabad..? Would love to pick up a classic. Pls let me know.

Nikhil
Old 8th August 2007, 19:33   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
As far as I know Bel Air Nomad never came in the 4 door version. This one is a 1957 Chevy 210 Station Wagon.

1957 Chevy Station Wagon could be had in the Townsman six passenger or the Beauville nine passenger version. The 210 four door, six passenger model was Chevy's top selling station wagon in 1957.
There is an element of truth in what you say. The Nomad was made as a two door till early 57. In 1958 the Nomad name was lent to the Belair's four door estate too which was more upmarket and considerably more expensive than its other chevy station wagon siblings.
Now one must remember one thing that as even now, the next year's models are introduced in the fall season of the current year, ie in August-September, these being the months of the fall season and this 57 spec model was introduced in 1957 as the 1958 model with the 1957 look ie a four door nomad whose 57 looks were changed in the coming year in sync with the 1958 looks. The year of manufacture being 1957. Maybe im wrong but this was what lead me into believing that the car is a Nomad. I have seen scores of 4 door Nomads on the net with the same looks as the 1958 was visibly diferent from the 57
Old 8th August 2007, 21:14   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
There is an element of truth in what you say. The Nomad was made as a two door till early 57. In 1958 the Nomad name was lent to the Belair's four door estate too which was more upmarket and considerably more expensive than its other Chevy station wagon siblings.
Gogi ji you are right, in 1958 4 door Nomad was introduced which was different from the 210 station wagon. In 1960, a new model was introduced and was most probably called the Chevrolet Kingswood. I may be wrong.

The picture that Ishan had posted is a 1957 210 Station Wagon.

1958 Nomad Station Wagon

1960 Nomad or Kingswood?

1957 210 Station Wagon
Old 8th August 2007, 21:15   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Great Find. Where are these cars? Pune..Hyderabad..? Would love to pick up a classic. Pls let me know.

Nikhil
these cars are in delhi canonball. you could find classics for sale in bom too. what you looking for might be able to help you.
Old 8th August 2007, 23:30   #216
Senior - BHPian

guys i need to know which car this is, i think it a dodge but i need to know for sure. the picture is not that great shot is from the car while i was crossing impromtu photo. all i know is that the car is a limosine and is being worked apon.
Old 9th August 2007, 20:50   #217

I am a new bie here, but still has anyone considered the fact that this is a 220 and not a chopped 170? Coz I find this very similar to a postwar 220 2 door and not a 170. I say this becoz I have a prewar 170V and its not I who pointed this fact, but my brother whom I consider a wikipedia on mercs. Yes, I am not boasting, anybody need any info on any merc, ask me and i will get an answer from him, unfortunately he is not a team bhpian yet.
Old 9th August 2007, 22:39   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

The 170V is a two door convertible, the 170S is a four door saloon or 2 door cabrio. This particular car is a 170V chopped to a two door, infact it still carries the 170S badging, look closely. Also see pics of black 170S APU 4248 for reference.

The post war 220's had inbuilt headlights as far as I remember, besides being much larger.
Old 9th August 2007, 22:59   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The 170V is a two door convertible, the 170S is a four door saloon or 2 door cabrio. This particular car is a 170V chopped to a two door, infact it still carries the 170S badging, look closely. Also see pics of black 170S APU 4248 for reference.

The post war 220's had inbuilt headlights as far as I remember, besides being much larger.
i beg to differ karlos. the 170v is a four door hardtop, rag top. the 170s is the sports model two door convertible hardtop. i have a 170v rag top. pillars are there but the center is a convertible entire top comes down.
Old 10th August 2007, 07:50   #220

Yes K'deville, you are correct, its a 170S. I am really heartbroken to see a true regal classic being chopped. If the owner badly needed to do it, I would have gladly given him a kit car and would have retained the originals. Sad but true, emmm, Yes, postwar 220s had in built headlamps and were much larger and having more sleek lines. Thanks for the info, Deville rules !!!!!!!!
Old 10th August 2007, 09:39   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the 170V was also available in a 4 door hardtop config, besides the 2 door carbio, agreed. But the white car in question is a 170S chopjob, im still confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the 170s is the sports model two door convertible hardtop.
The 170S is also a 4 door hardtop. All Mercedes models had many permutations and combinations. Now whats a convertible hardtop?
Old 10th August 2007, 12:20   #222
Senior - BHPian

Karl - I have sen an earlier picture of this or a similar car which I can't find right now. I guess I could find it & post it here later.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:30   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i beg to differ karlos. the 170v is a four door hardtop, rag top. the 170s is the sports model two door convertible hardtop. i have a 170v rag top. pillars are there but the center is a convertible entire top comes down.
Er.... what is a convertible hardtop? This is an oxymoron. Surely you mean ragtop or landaulette or an open top tourer
Let me elaborate. The 170V was exported to many countries including Argentina in CKD form. A Bocum based Diamler Benz dealer and coach builder Lueg fitted various special bodies to the chassis. In 1951 and 52 the German Federal Border Guard took delivery of over 500 units of a semi military OTP (Open Top Police Touring Car) version, a 170D with four doors, a lightweight fold-down top, top hung windows at the side and a windshield that could pivot forwards. Many people who own such a machine think it is a relic from Hitler's army fleet, a fact which is not always justified. Similarly in other countries too, individual coach builders would have played around with their imagination. So the ragtop or the open top tourer in the 170 chassis is not factory built.

@ Karl- bro, as mentioned above, the 170V did come as a four door sedan too.

@ Speedy- Karl is right. The white car is a 170S chop shop version and I beg to differ with you buddy, the 170S did come as a four door sedan too and not only as a two door convertible coupe.
Here are pics and sales brochure copies and pics to prove the same.

Last edited by V-16 : 10th August 2007 at 13:31.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:46   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Er.... what is a convertible hardtop? This is an oxymoron. Surely you mean ragtop or landaulette or an open top tourer
Let me elaborate. The 170V was exported to many countries including Argentina in CKD form. A Bocum based Diamler Benz dealer and coach builder Lueg fitted various special bodies to the chassis. In 1951 and 52 the German Federal Border Guard took delivery of over 500 units of a semi military OTP (Open Top Police Touring Car) version, a 170D with four doors, a lightweight fold-down top, top hung windows at the side and a windshield that could pivot forwards. Many people who own such a machine think it is a relic from Hitler's army fleet, a fact which is not always justified. Similarly in other countries too, individual coach builders would have played around with their imagination. So the ragtop or the open top tourer in the 170 chassis is not factory built.

@ Karl- bro, as mentioned above, the 170V did come as a four door sedan too.

@ Speedy- Karl is right. The white car is a 170S chop shop version and I beg to differ with you buddy, the 170S did come as a four door sedan too and not only as a two door convertible coupe.
Here are pics and sales brochure copies and pics to prove the same.

thanks for the info. i thought the 170s is only a sports version made in two door and convertible models. i dont deny that the pic of the white car is a 170s chopped top.
yes the word is landuellete. i've got a lot of learning to do.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:56   #225
Senior - BHPian

The pic that does not seem to appear, once again posted: the 170s sedan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks