Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 00:02   #361
BHPian

Thanks GS ,

1 more photograph of the Jaguar.
Old 1st September 2007, 00:04   #362
Senior - BHPian

that is awesome....great effort to restore find it and get it from where you found it
that it some great job donethere

cheers
Old 1st September 2007, 00:16   #363
Team-BHP Support

thats a pretty comprehensive restoration job and with detailed pics, why dont you start a new thread on rejuvenation of the jag
Old 1st September 2007, 01:28   #364
Senior - BHPian

Great restoration Chauhan. Commendable effort and it shows on the final product. Hats off to you sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hi Gogi ,

The car behind the Topolino is a Jaguar 1 1/2 Litre , attached photos of the Jaguar restoration :

The car when I saw it in 2001 had been garaged since 1972 , the garage entrance had been turned into a garbage dump with trees obstructing the entrance of the garage

What happened to the 47 Desoto in the pic. Was it lying there too with the Jag?

Last edited by V-16 : 1st September 2007 at 01:29. Reason: add
Old 1st September 2007, 01:40   #365
Senior - BHPian

that is a remarkable achievement vintageman. from where the car came to where it is now. you deserve a standing ovation for the effort put into the car and it clearly shows.
wanted to know how do you manage to find these cars?
what happend to the desoto in the picture you posted like gogi bhai has pointed out.
Old 1st September 2007, 01:53   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Mr Chauhan I am speechless. I can't find any shortcomings and even if I could, I wouldn't mention it. Your work is just fantastic...fabulous...astounding!
I agree, she looks really nice now.

How about telling us how you found her. Im sure ittl really be interesting.
Old 1st September 2007, 09:12   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Vintageman & others who've carried out extensive restoration,
I've a doubt about cars that have been sitting neglected for long- how do you manage to get back the clarity & shine in the glass/windscreens?
They'd be covered with like layers of dust/dirt/grime sitting so long.....so they'd hav many scratches that look minute from a distance but are much worse & lack of clarity while seen from the inside at night......do you fabricate all the glass & replace the originals or is there any professional treatment to restore the glass back to its original clarity (like the ones available abroad?)
Old 1st September 2007, 11:59   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Vintageman & others who've carried out extensive restoration,
I've a doubt about cars that have been sitting neglected for long- how do you manage to get back the clarity & shine in the glass/windscreens?
They'd be covered with like layers of dust/dirt/grime sitting so long.....so they'd hav many scratches that look minute from a distance but are much worse & lack of clarity while seen from the inside at night......do you fabricate all the glass & replace the originals or is there any professional treatment to restore the glass back to its original clarity (like the ones available abroad?)
hi stanher, it is a long tidious process. you first remove the glasses. clean it with a dry cloth to get the top layer dust or dirt off the glass. after which you mix thinner with water and clean the glass this could go on for quite a while till the entire glass is cleaned to clear. you then can use glass cleaner liquids which you get in the market to clean the glasses and yes use a soft cloth to avoid the scratches. you cannot use force as you dont know how brittle the glass has become. it takes several days and not a one day result. there are no clarity issues even when the cars are driven at night.
the glasses are only fabricated or new glasses imported when there are too many scratches, the glass is cracked or broken. some of the front and rear windscreens cannot be fabricated due to their curved nature and you have to import new ones.
this is what i get dont to my cars. everyone has their own ways of doing it and it does show results. you can see it on the packard.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:08   #369
Senior - BHPian

Very amazing peice of work vintageman. Truly professional.

Quote:
Comments on shortcomings welcome , I count 3 in the photos posted.
Is it the headlight? They sport different lenses.
Old 1st September 2007, 15:30   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

great read, im really enjoying this!

Yup, the headlights I dont think would be original. They would be Lucas "King of the road" P80s right? The 2-1/2 litre cars certainly had P100s, and I think the P 80s were available on the smaller cars on request.

Plus whitewalls and leaping cat were never offered on this early a Jag I'd think. Also the horn cut outs in the bumpers is a later addition.
Old 1st September 2007, 15:54   #371
BHPian

Karl seems you are right with the headlights and whitewalls but I think the leaping cat was there on the early Jaguars.

Old 1st September 2007, 17:59   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Karl seems you are right with the headlights and whitewalls but I think the leaping cat was there on the early Jaguars.
Im quite sure that the leaping cat wasnt featured on a Jaguar untill the 2.4 came out in 55/6. I doubt whether the early Mk VIIs had them either. They are popular accessories today though.
Old 1st September 2007, 18:16   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
hi stanher, it is a long tidious process. ..........this is what i get dont to my cars. everyone has their own ways of doing it and it does show results. you can see it on the packard.
Many thanks for your comprehensive advice speedy! I'll definitely try this out although one more question if you dont mind- how effective would this be in removing scratches off the windscreens, the most visible ones (viz. wiper marks) as well as the more minute ones that make the glass almost opaque & uyo can see only from inside when driving at night!
Old 1st September 2007, 18:18   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im quite sure that the leaping cat wasnt featured on a Jaguar untill the 2.4 came out in 55/6. I doubt whether the early Mk VIIs had them either. They are popular accessories today though.
Quote:
In 1935 the S.S. Company introduced a sleek, low-slung car which its advertising agency christened the SS Jaguar. The following year Bill Rankin, the company’s public relations officer and a keen amateur sculptor, designed a mascot for the car’s radiator in the form of a leaping Jaguar. An unimpressed Lyons said that it looked: “like a cat shot off a fence”.
Link:Jaguar / Great British Design Quest : Car Manufacturer - Design/Designer Information
Old 1st September 2007, 19:13   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

You put up a very convincing argument! The reason I said that the leaping cat wasnt featured till the 50s is because I have loads and loads of period literature, and none of them illustrate the leaping cat till the 50s. Perhaps it was designed in the 30s like you said, but never offered by the factory till much later.

1945 brochure for the one and a half litre Jaguar.

1940 brochure

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st September 2007 at 19:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks