Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 22:21   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Many thanks for your comprehensive advice speedy! I'll definitely try this out although one more question if you dont mind- how effective would this be in removing scratches off the windscreens, the most visible ones (viz. wiper marks) as well as the more minute ones that make the glass almost opaque & uyo can see only from inside when driving at night!
Its simple, if you have badly scratched striaght glasses, get new ones which are available toughened if they are curved and bad, replace them altough you could get them made here as curved glasses do get made here now but you have to make an exact template (farma) which is again a pain. Most scratches made by the wipers etc do get buffed off. I dont know what they use but for around 1200 bucks they rub your windscreen with a mysterious powder-paste combo that makes your glasses new. I've got that done, whatever it is. They dont give out the secret tough.
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:13   #377
BHPian

The Autocar, March 24th 1939

Autocar, July 8th 1949 (Road test Jaguar 3.5L, mark V)

An original factory photograph of 39001, the first 3.5L SS100 produced. Registered CKV 250, it is shown parked outside the doors of the Foleshill factory. This car is the only SS100 to possess an official Jaguar Mascot, unique and not originally fitted to any other car. Usually known as the 'Prince Michael' mascot (as that was the first owner of the car in Romania, presented to him by his regiment), it is unlike any other Jaguar mascot.
The Desmo mascot of the period was an after market accessory and is not an official SS mascot. Likewise, the F Gordon Crosby designed mascot, available from late 1937, was never intended for the SS100 as the dog bone radiator cap would not accept it.

Above pics/info has been taken from jag-lovers.

In the earlier link that I provided, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is a picture of the mascot with the following info-

"The leaping cat mascot used on Jaguar cars from 1937
Design: F. Gordon Crosby
Production: Jaguar Cars"
Jaguar / Great British Design Quest : Car Manufacturer - Design/Designer Information
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:21   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yup, the headlights I dont think would be original. They would be Lucas "King of the road" P80s right? The 2-1/2 litre cars certainly had P100s, and I think the P 80s were available on the smaller cars on request.
Original letter announcing the 1-1/2 L Saloon Special Equipment model will use Lucas P.80 rather than the 'Super Beam' headlamps previously announced.

Courtesy: jag-lovers
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:06   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Many thanks for your comprehensive advice speedy! I'll definitely try this out although one more question if you dont mind- how effective would this be in removing scratches off the windscreens, the most visible ones (viz. wiper marks) as well as the more minute ones that make the glass almost opaque & uyo can see only from inside when driving at night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Its simple, if you have badly scratched striaght glasses, get new ones which are available toughened if they are curved and bad, replace them altough you could get them made here as curved glasses do get made here now but you have to make an exact template (farma) which is again a pain. Most scratches made by the wipers etc do get buffed off. I dont know what they use but for around 1200 bucks they rub your windscreen with a mysterious powder-paste combo that makes your glasses new. I've got that done, whatever it is. They dont give out the secret tough.
with gogi bhai.
stanher you dont need to thank me for anything.
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:13   #380
BHPian

Hello Everybody ,
Thanks for the kind comments , I am gratified and also amazed at the interest shown .
The head lamps are original Lucas " King of the Road " P 80's which the car was delivered with . I had included a photograph of the headlamps to illustrate the repairs done to the electrically operated dipping reflector.

White walls are an optional item , but yes, I do not see them on any of the period photographs which I have , though they do add to the car's charm.

The 3 drawbacks which I know off are
as pointed out by Gordon - the mismatched head lamp glasses
the missing cigar lighter and the wipers
the wrong glasses for the speedometer and the rev counter

Now to join the debate regarding the leaping cat -
Karl , the brochure released in early 1945 ( around the time when SS Cars Ltd were renamed as Jaguars Cars Ltd ) still shows the SS logo on the wheel spinners . It was withdrawn and never reissued , only 3 known copies of this poster are known to exist - 2 in private ownership and the 3rd at the National Motor Museum , Beaulieu, UK. As such I think the photo on the poster is of an SS Jaguar Car and not the 1945 - 48 model.

The 1945 - 48 Jaguars were unofficially dubbed as the Mark IV and these cars are normally clubbed together with the pre war SS Jaguar cars due to the similarities between them . The SS Cars carried the Jaguar acronym on all models from 1935 - 36. Production of the cars stopped in 1941 -42 . When production resumed in 1945 the SS was dropped and
the SS Cars Ltd became Jaguar Cars Ltd. Mechanically the post war "Mark IV" range was same as the pre war SS cars , there were minor visual differences . The 1 1/2 Litre car was the last Jaguar to be fitted with externally supplied engines and my car engine casing also has the SS badge. The Radiator Cap with the SS Logo was available in the pre
war range . By the way the the badge on my car has a missing blank where the SS should have been , I presume the factory was using leftovers from the SS era.
The artist Fredrick Gordon Crosby designed the leaping cat mascot and as per my information it was first seen in 1937. In Paul Skilleter's definitive book on Jaguars the post war 1945 - 48 Mark IV car photograph carries a
leaping cat mascot .
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:22   #381
BHPian

A further piece of information , the following cities had Jaguar dealers :

Mumbai - Garware Motors Ltd
Poona - Poona Service Station , Poona Gymkhana Road
Sholapur
Madras - Simpson & Co
New Delhi - Pearey Lal & Sons
Agra
Ambala
Dehradun
Calcutta
Asansol
Shillong
Silchar
Calcutta - Chandra & Co
Cuttack
Dhanbad
Dibrugarh
Jalpaiguri
Jorhat
KrishnaNagar
Lucknow - Oriental Motor Co
Patna
Tezpur
Jodhpur
Ajmer
Bikaner
Indore
Jaipur
Kota
Udaipur

With such a strong and extensive network , it is surprising so few cars survive today , maybe we should look & search more earnestly , specially in the Eastern Region.
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:26   #382
BHPian

i have a gordon crosby designed jaguar mascot with the pear shaped base, but im not sure if its pre or post war, its made of mazac,and heavily pitted so i assume its post war, though i was told it came off an SS100, which is quite unlikely.
the jaguar mascot is actually an adoptation of an earlier mascot designed by crosby for MG, called the tigress. i have seen an example of this mascot many years ago on the said car in geneva, and its very similar to the jaguar mascot. till it was pointed out, i wondered what a jaguar mascot was doing on a large pre war MG.

Last edited by awini : 2nd September 2007 at 01:27.
Old 2nd September 2007, 08:55   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Very valid points by you all. So we can all agree that the leaping cat has been around since the late 30s, though I dont suppose we can confirm if it was factory fitted for some time after that. Like I said, it isnt present on any of the older factory literature. The Jaglovers site will back me up on this. An optional accessory perhaps?
Old 3rd September 2007, 04:30   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
here is another vintage I decided to forego

A 1933 Dodge Brothers - with double sidemounts . The freewheeling mechanism is missing.
here is the 1935 dodge brothers done in my garage. you would have seen it at the rallies. it belongs to a prominent person from VCCCI.

Old 3rd September 2007, 09:06   #385
BHPian

Speedy , do you have close up of the hood ornament on this car.
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:41   #386
Senior - BHPian

sorry vintageman i am not a photo person, will ask my brother if he has taken pictures of the mascot, but i doubt he has.
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:15   #387
Senior - BHPian

Many of the pics vingateman posted which i can see now were not there or not appearing when he first posted them, but they appear now. Am i the only one who's having this problem?? weird but i find a lot more pics which were not there as far as friday??
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:35   #388
Senior - BHPian

no gogi bhai all the pictures posted by vintagemen have come. i am not faceing this problem at all. they were being loaded slowly but sure did come the same day.
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:56   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
no gogi bhai all the pictures posted by vintagemen have come. i am not faceing this problem at all. they were being loaded slowly but sure did come the same day.
Maybe a problem with my internet connection. But strange the pics o fthe speedo and the interior did not appear in the long time I spent watching each pic with great enthusiasm and till i had seen the last pic, these pics had not appeared, as if they had never been posted. Funny never happened before. Better check my connection.
Old 3rd September 2007, 20:11   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Maybe a problem with my internet connection. But strange the pics o fthe speedo and the interior did not appear in the long time I spent watching each pic with great enthusiasm and till i had seen the last pic, these pics had not appeared, as if they had never been posted. Funny never happened before. Better check my connection.
maybe it has nothing to do with your connection but there were many pictures so it gets a little slow and you dont realise it. it happened to me when i went back then i saw more pictures posted and i thought they were edited and added.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks