Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 12:10   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
These pieces appeared in today's Times of India, I will try to see the display today if I get the time. I don't suppose there will be any new cars, but it is a welcome display nonetheless. Glad to see Pune having some activity again.
Thanks Karl . Please do see the show and upload some nice snaps . Would have scheduled to come and see them as it would have been on the outskirts of Poona.

Glad it's one event as mentioned on the site has taken place on schedule . Organised by somebody else

On Bulldogji's comment are you a member and do know the 158 members mentioned ? Is there an old car museum in Poona ? Displayed cars list anyone has ? Address please to visit the museum and some contact number

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 20th October 2012 at 12:12.
Old 20th October 2012, 14:20   #287
BHPian

Re: Vintage Rallies & Shows in India

Hi kasli, It is so strange, some people recieved mails yesterday from the media department of VCCCI , stating that the Times auto show is today. The mail went on to invite all to come to the inaguration this morning at ten thirty. BUT,the VENUE was not mentioned so where was anyone supposed to go??? Thanks to karl , today , though very late, we have some information. Hope the Poona guys post some nice pictures. Poona has some notable cars, the Akalkot Bentley, Mysore bentley, 540K etc. Any idea if they are on display? Apparently the Times group have been doing this for several years . Hope they continue to act as a platform to showcase vintage and classic beauties. I believe another Poona event is planned for december. Great to see such activity in that city. Maybe , I will drive down to admire the cars displayed.
Old 20th October 2012, 14:36   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Thanks for the information Karl, albeit a bit late.

Are any of your beauties at the show??

Are you currently a VCCCI member?

Have you visited the old car museum in Poona?
Well I just saw it in this morning's paper and promptly posted the clipping. You can still come down tomorrow and see the cars. I'll probably go tomorrow on my way back to Bombay.

My car is not on display, and to be honest I've never applied for membership, though I do participate in rallies sometimes, and thoroughly enjoy it.

There is a private museum set up at the Beverly Hills Hotel at Lullanagar of Subhash Sanas, but I still have not visited. Actually it would be a great idea to have a rally that starts or ends there.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:43   #289
BHPian

Thanks Karl. Normally we would have planned a weekend in Poona, and seen the cars. Tomorrow is not feasible. Nitins cars, Ruias cars and the Poonawala cars are well known to me. If there are others, maybe you will take pictures and post them for all of us to enjoy? Thanks for the information on the museum. Does one have to call in advance or can we just land up? Lullanagar sounds familiar. Is it the area straight ahead from main street/east street passing the Poona high priests house on the left?? Your idea of a rally incorporating a visit to the museum is a good idea. Why not suggest it for the next rally? Or we could do a friendly bombay poona drive, ending at the museum? Kasli, are you listening??
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:40   #290
BHPian

Hi Karl, did you eventually go to the Times show in poona? Tweety said the organizers were willing to pay costs and a bit more, for old cars to be shown. Some owners were contacted, some were informed about this, some were not. I wonder what the real story was? Hope to see pictures soon.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 12:04   #291
BHPian

Although no news on the VCCCI site, I believe that the Rajkot rally is now being flagged off on november 2nd. I know of at least one participant. Anyone has any information as to the others? Any team BHP guys going? Lets plan to go to the flag off and cheer our friends. Hopefully now the climate will be more comfortable for both man and machine.
Old 24th October 2012, 15:31   #292
BHPian

The recently concluded Times auto show features on the VCCCI site. Nice to see that the cars were under cover, though not very well positioned. Cars of Nitin Dossa, Hemant/ Yash Ruia, Poonawala, Vakil, and others I do not recognize ,[ some Nagpur cars? ] can be seen. Nitin himself, in a turban, is visible in more than one picture. Such a pity that VCCCI did not inform enthusiasts about the venue. Many more would have gone to see the beauties.
Old 24th October 2012, 17:51   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji
Although no news on the VCCCI site, I believe that the Rajkot rally is now being flagged off on november 2nd. I know of at least one participant. Anyone has any information as to the others? Any team BHP guys going? Lets plan to go to the flag off and cheer our friends. Hopefully now the climate will be more comfortable for both man and machine.
Oh I was expecting it to be 26th and good luck to the participant . Better weather prevails for all . I would join in the morning for cheering all .

Cheers
Old 25th October 2012, 13:32   #294
BHPian

Great, Kasli. Lets plan on going on the D day in large numbers to cheer our friends. To get participants, I am told they have been promised a viewing of the famous Rajkot Rolls which I believe has arrived. SO, the number of participants has naturally increased. Now I was told that Karl, Roni, Fali, Maraspand, Jehangir, etc have also decided to drive up. Really good to see long distance drives beginning, after such a long hiatus. Credit to you for acting as the catalyst.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 14:22   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karl, did you eventually go to the Times show in poona?
Yes I did make a quick visit, and got these pictures from my phone. It was a nice display with a great selection of cars, though a bit cramped and crowded, but that cannot be helped. Response was good on the Sunday evening that I was there.

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-austin01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-avon01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-bentley01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-buick01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-buick02.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-buick03.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-cadillac01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-cars01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-cars02.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-cars03.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-cars04.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-chrysler01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-dodge01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-mg01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-morris01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-morris02.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-oldsmobile01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-packard01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-packard02.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-pontiac01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-rolls01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-rolls02.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-rolls03.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-rover01.jpg

Quote:
Now I was told that Karl....., etc have also decided to drive up.
That's news to me As much as I would love to attend, I cannot spare 3 days right now. Hope we get some great pictures.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th October 2012 at 14:24.
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 03:27   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yes I did make a quick visit, and got these pictures from my phone. It was a nice display with a great selection of cars, though a bit cramped and crowded, but that cannot be helped. Response was good on the Sunday evening that I was there.

That's news to me As much as I would love to attend, I cannot spare 3 days right now. Hope we get some great pictures.
What is the provenance of the Packard BMW-4311 ?
Old 26th October 2012, 06:36   #297
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
What is the provenance of the Packard BMW-4311 ?
In response to this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2218545 this was Harit's reply on the provenance

Quote:
Hi Yash, what a coincidence that you spotted Nitin uncles Packard.
This car came from Lucknow, was in Bandra with German Motors from where Nitinbhai bought her. I saw the registration book there, the car had spent time in Karachi and came back to India before partition. Even in Karachi the registration was BMW.
I had put up a picture of this car when she was black and the radiator shell was removed.
Very nice restoration by Mr. Vakil in Pune.

Cheers harit
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 13:45   #298
BHPian

Hi Karl, thanks for the pictures. Poona seems to have a huge following for vintage metal. Now that the vintage fever has returned to this city, hopefully we shall see more events happening. My apologies. I was categorically told that you were going to Rajkot to see the Rolls that has come home. Lots of names are being tossed around as participants. But really a wonderful chance for guys to go to Rajkot, see her and interact with the owner. The story of how she was brought back is very interesting, hope VCCCI helps others bring in cars the same way. The cars in the Times show really did not showcase many fine local cars. When I inquired why, they told me that the selection was left to the VCCCI.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:59   #299
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karl, My apologies. I was categorically told that you were going to Rajkot to see the Rolls that has come home. But really a wonderful chance for guys to go to Rajkot, see her and interact with the owner.
Bulldogji, I think you forgot that Karl has had this privileged at Pebble Beach

Last edited by KPS : 26th October 2012 at 14:00.
Old 26th October 2012, 22:33   #300
BHPian

the chrysler has held up well, considering it was painted in 1995! though the book says 1932, its an ultra rare 1931 1/2 cm6 dual windshield phaeton, one of only about 94 or 95 produced if i remember right. also its not a 2000cc car!! its about 3.8 litres

Last edited by awini : 26th October 2012 at 22:39.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed