Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 16:21   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage Rallies & Shows in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
The highlight of this rally (for me at least), was the first and only sighting I had, of the legendary Citroen 'Deese' DS - the Goddess herself, In Mumbai.
The car was beautifully maintained, and it was a pleasure to behold how the hydro-pneumatic suspension worked.
This car I believe belonged to a die-hard Citroen fanatic from Andheri, whose compound was a magical wonderland of all things Citroen.
I wonder if it still exists?? !
Nice Pics did you click all the cars. After Karl's post I'll say this citroen place is where Anup Thakoor has his workshop. Before his post I'd only take a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Lovely pics Ravi, thanks for sharing

The pics are from the year 2000 - the Rally of the Raj from Bombay to Delhi (or was it vice versa?). We can see the foreign participants - in this case 2 Bentleys. Nice to see familiar local participants too. Do you have more pics from the event? Would love to see.

Yup, she still survives, though barely, the car having rotted considerably. I saw her last in 2008, pictured below, but I believe the car has gone further down since then.
I went to this rally and would you believe I took someones Russian camera with 3 rolls of 36 and when I gave it to the studio not a single pic. I thought there were 3 Bentleys.... but its been nearly 15 years. Maybe Harit will know

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 6th November 2013 at 16:29.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 17:20   #392
Senior - BHPian

This is what the car is like today or PIC TAKEN last month

Sad !

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Nice Pics did you click all the cars. After Karl's post I'll say this citroen place is where Anup Thakoor has his workshop. Before his post I'd only take a guess.

I went to this rally and would you believe I took someones Russian camera with 3 rolls of 36 and when I gave it to the studio not a single pic. I thought there were 3 Bentleys.... but its been nearly 15 years. Maybe Harit will know
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-img_2729a.jpg  

kasli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 21:29   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely pics Ravi, thanks for sharing

Do you have more pics from the event? Would love to see.

Yup, she still survives, though barely, the car having rotted considerably. I saw her last in 2008, pictured below, but I believe the car has gone further down since then. What a shame.
Oh dear Lord. I'll be driven to tears seeing her in this state..
Unfortunately no more pictures. Those were the days of cash shortages and film roll cameras. I guess I must've had only 13 photos left, and the money in my pocket was needed to pacify the dear girl with a good brunch, at least..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
Hi, I would be grateful if i could get contact details of this citroen fan. I too am fan of these wonderful machines. thanks
I believe the gentleman's name was Jameel Hussain. The place was near Bhavan's college Andheri. I'm going to make a trip there soon, will try to get some contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

No comments on the OT paragraph, other than - I wouldn't have the guts to even try, that too on a Sunday morning
He He!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Yes, I believe that's her current resing place. I just HAVE to see her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post

Sad !

Cheers
Hey Kasli - is there anything at all that can be done to save this car? Is it on sale? Can it be restored? A DS can't be allowed to die like this..

Last edited by SuperSelect : 6th November 2013 at 21:32.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 00:31   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post

Sad !

Cheers
Very sad. It looks like someone opened up the body parts compared to the pic that Karl has posted and seeing the lights and bumpers off most probably to do tin work. Can't make out clearly in your photo. I see VW's in Karl's pic so guess A.T. had moved in there back then. Makes me wonder if he has this effect on these cars. I can still remember the VW cabriolet and the Porsche with it's cyls lying underneath when he was at bandra. This set up reminds me of Prem Verenkar's workshop in Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Oh dear Lord. I'll be driven to tears seeing her in this state..

I believe the gentleman's name was Jameel Hussain. The place was near Bhavan's college Andheri. I'm going to make a trip there soon, will try to get some contact.
Is it on sale? Can it be restored? A DS can't be allowed to die like this..
Yes that's his name. I believe he had some other Citroen's too. I think someone posted pics of these in another thread some years ago. I wonder why the cars have reached this state. Maybe he's unwell or something.
Old 9th November 2013, 18:20   #395
Senior - BHPian

The Citroen as photographed in February.
This was the location of the Citroen club of India. I visited this place the first time around 1985. There were plenty of Traction parts and bodies lying around, and a number of 2CV's being worked on, maybe customers cars. They also serviced Ami's, Mumbai had 3.
This Goddess is to be restored, I was told.

harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-citroen.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 20:12   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Goddess is to be restored, I was told.

harit
I sincerely hope the ol' girl is back on the road soon!!
Old 18th November 2013, 15:27   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Rally season is here again - and this time it is Ahmedabad who is kicking it off

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-ahmedabad.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 17:33   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Rally season is here again - and this time it is Ahmedabad who is kicking it off

Attachment 1168075
Hi Karlos, this is organised by us at GVCCC, we are having a get together with the Mumbai - Rajasthan By Road tour at Courtesy 'Autoworld' - Dastan Farms, Pranlal Bhogilals Museum on the 20th Nov Noon time. We GVCCC members shall be driving with our cars to Autoworld and hosting a lunch together.

Also on the 24th November, Sunday morning we are having a Drive called - 'GVCCC Ahmedabad Heritage drive' on the occasion of Ahmedabad Heritage Week. We shall be driving through Various Heritage monuments in Ahmedabad City. So two events back to back and great fun for this week.
Subodh Nath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 11:52   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karlos, this is organised by us at GVCCC, we are having a get together with the Mumbai - Rajasthan By Road tour at Courtesy 'Autoworld' - Dastan Farms, Pranlal Bhogilals Museum on the 20th Nov Noon time. We GVCCC members shall be driving with our cars to Autoworld and hosting a lunch together.
Kudos to GVCCC for organising this with the Rajasthan by Road group, we just had them in Jaipur, but local politics ensured that no event could be hosted by the local club here.

I for one drove my little morris to their hotel and met up with few of the guys.

cheers
Kartik
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 22:08   #400
BHPian

Quote:

Also on the 24th November, Sunday morning we are having a Drive called - 'GVCCC Ahmedabad Heritage drive' on the occasion of Ahmedabad Heritage Week. We shall be driving through Various Heritage monuments in Ahmedabad City. So two events back to back and great fun for this week.
Tomorrows GVCCC Meet at Auto World, Kathwada, Ahmedabad is Cancelled Due to unavoidable delays in the Rajasthan By road Tour.
Old 20th November 2013, 13:13   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tomorrows GVCCC Meet at Auto World, Kathwada, Ahmedabad is Cancelled Due to unavoidable delays in the Rajasthan By road Tour.
As per the Rajasthan by road tour schedule and our conversation with Kasli, today they will be in Ahmedabad and tom head for Surat and then Bombay.
Old 20th November 2013, 14:37   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
As per the Rajasthan by road tour schedule and our conversation with Kasli, today they will be in Ahmedabad and tom head for Surat and then Bombay.
We are in touch with Kasli too. Now they are coming in evening instead of morning thus we had to cancel our club event which was 11.00am onwards.
Old 30th December 2013, 14:19   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Some interesting cars were part of an event recently concluded in Hyderabad

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-buick01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-chevy01.jpg

Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-vw01.jpg

http://plus.newindianexpress.com/vin...y-in-hyderabad
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 15:04   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

A rally took in place in Allahabad on 29.12.13

http://www.demotix.com/photo/3577050...held-allahabad
KartikeyaL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 16:05   #405
BHPian

January will see the Calcutta rally, and the Jaipur rally which coincides with the annual Jaipur literary festival.

FEbruary has rallies in Delhi and Bombay, in addition to a long distance one, Bombay to Rajkot. When is the Poona rally scheduled?

Poona has some nice cars, hope they manage to organize something in 2014 before it gets very hot.

Karl????
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks