Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 23:16   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
wat bike is that, with differential instead of chain!!??
Thats the BMW 1150 R.

Last edited by Shreeram : 16th April 2008 at 23:18.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:32   #167
BHPian

And apart from the Mercedes there's a Ford Model A, a 1920s Rolls-Royce 20hp Barker barrel, a 1961 Chevrolet Impala, a 1960s Austin Taxi, possibly a 1934 Buick? A 1951 Buick, a 1948 Dennis F2 fire engine, a 1950s BSA B33, a 1950s Triumph Speed Twin, a 1953ish Lambretta D 150 scooter and the well known Pierce-Arrow.
What is the mini bike thing anyone?

On this page is very clear proof that the maroon Wolseley is definitely not 1908 Scroll down to the photos.
100 years old?

WOLSELEY / WOLSELEY-SIDDELEY HISTORIA

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th April 2008 at 16:28.
Old 17th April 2008, 03:16   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
And apart from the Mercedes there's a Ford Model A, a 1920s Rolls-Royce 20hp Barker barrel, a 1961 Chevrolet Impala, a 1960s Austin Taxi, possibly a 1934 Buick? A 1951 Buick, a 1948 Dennis F2 fire engine, a 1950s BSA B33, a 1950s Triumph Speed Twin, a 1953ish Lambretta D 150 scooter and the well known Pierce-Arrow.
Julian, I am assuming the Pierce Arrow is the ex-Indore, now with Vijay Mallya (?)

The barrel side Barker RR 20 (CPO-204) I thought was listed in one of these threads as the one restored by TELCO trainees and displayed by Tata.
Old 17th April 2008, 05:27   #169
BHPian

I think its the same Pierce-Arrow.
The Rolls-Royce 20hp the trainees gave the block to a local turner who cracked the block?? It has the same number plate. Small horsepower Rolls-Royce cylinder blocks need very special attention. It takes days just to clean them and to clean them they need 30 odd copper tubes removing and renewing just to be able to clean them properly, acid won't do it, (without which cleaning they will crack anyway) Its about a weeks work in total. New blocks are available or one can always give them to the local turner
The might of Telco expertise knows nothing about the nightmares of small horse power Rolls and Bentley cylinder blocks and heads.
No wonder they refuse to open the bonnet....
Old 17th April 2008, 09:52   #170
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That looks quite like the paratroopers bike used by the military ie you can jump out of a plane with the bike on your back, set it up once you land and off you go!

The Nizam has one which I shifted recently
Old 17th April 2008, 17:59   #171
BHPian

It looks to be an Indian Papoose used by US troops in WWII.
Civilianised.
Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-indian-papoose2.jpg
Vintage Rallies & Shows in India-indian-papoose.jpg
Images from
ths.gardenweb.com/.../msg090043284327.html

The Welbike made in UK
Welbike
Welbike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Brockhouse engineering in UK made some Indian models post war.

Last edited by Julian UK : 17th April 2008 at 18:07.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:55   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

The first 6 pictures were taken at the 93 Rally in Pune if Im not mistaken, ie the group photo, Ford model A, Rolls, and Chevy. The Model A I think could be one of 2 cars, one was Fali Dhondhys, regd BYF 2753 or thereabouts, the other Zaheer Vakils, ADL 357. Most likely the former. The Rolls is obviously the Telco car when she was a runner. The last photo of the Pierce Arrow was also shot at the same event. It is Jasdanwallas car, GCB 1952. Mallyas car is a similar one,MAS 8280. One of the 2 cars used to belong to Kilachand, I think the Mallya car. I dont recognise the Chevy. It appears to have a Royal plate, can anyone read it?

The other photos seem to be the Blue Diamond rally in Pune 2004. I recognise the PMC Dennis Fire brigade, thankfully still running the Rolls Royce engine, Nitin Dossas 30s Dodge, Irfan Moguls Impala, Subhash Sanas' London Taxi (a much later diesel one). Zaheer Vakil is seen at the wheel of his lovely white Buick.

The BSA B31 is a regular with Mr Kothavala always dressed as a cop. He faithfully rides dowbn every year for the rallies. The Triumph is a Tiger 100, 55. Similar to mine

Amol, I think the white 170V roadster was Jasdanwallas, though I havent seen it in ages, possibly since 93 at this rally.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:43   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I dont know about plural, but they are restoring one Lincoln, featured in primer elsewhere on the forum. It was a 63ish model, 4 door hard top. I dont recall the grey Rekord coupe though. I do remember the Majboor car well!
The Kirloskars had two at least - this black one and a white (may be it was silver, memory of that is now suddenly fading!). The white one was probably older by a year - and again that blasted memory playing tricks, could also have been the four door open-top variety. I lived in the neighbourhood, so was familiar with the stable. They had a lovely white Beetle too of the early 70s (or could be American specs 69-70 as it had integrated headrests in the front buckets). The Lincolns also used to go to Bhawkar Garage - one of the Bhawkar boys was with me in Fergy.

Btw, did I see a silver Continental open-top in the backdrop of one of the rally pictures in this thread?

Last edited by Prabal : 24th April 2008 at 14:53. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 24th April 2008, 14:48   #174
BHPian

Quote:
It looks to be an Indian Papoose used by US troops in WWII.
Civilianised.
Attachment 9317
Attachment 9318
Images from
ths.gardenweb.com/.../msg090043284327.html

The Welbike made in UK
Welbike
Welbike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Brockhouse engineering in UK made some Indian models post war.
I have some interesting dope on paratrooper motorcycles with me. Let me look it up. My dad was a paratrooper too, so I might have some snaps too. Okay, where's the dust-mask...
Old 25th April 2008, 16:18   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
The Lincolns also used to go to Bhawkar Garage - one of the Bhawkar boys was with me in Fergy.

Btw, did I see a silver Continental open-top in the backdrop of one of the rally pictures in this thread?
Interestingly my Beetle earlier had some connection to the Bhawkars. Im not too clear on the details, but one of them owned it at some point.

The Continental is Ramesh Thakkers virgin 64 Popemobile.
Old 25th April 2008, 17:33   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Karl - BYF2753 was picked up by Edul Dhondi from Mr. Anklesaria's family exactly one week after he passed away. Mr.Anklesaria used to stay at Gowalia Tank and he used to have fights with almost everybody on parking place. He had 3 cars, one more dark blue Morris 8 or something and a super select fiat with an MRW number plate. I know because my in-laws used to stay in the same building. I have seen Mr.Anklesaria starting all 3 cars every evening. He was also an avid ham radio operator. Actually BYF2753 was in original paint. The originality seems to be missing now. Just for your information.
Old 26th April 2008, 14:27   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Karl - BYF2753 was picked up by Edul Dhondi from Mr. Anklesaria's family exactly one week after he passed away.... Actually BYF2753 was in original paint. The originality seems to be missing now.
Im not 100% sure if that is the same car in the pictures we saw, Im just guessing. From what I remember, BYF 2753 was in superb original condition, but I doubt it was still in original paint. Presentable original paint on a car made in the 20s is beyond my comprehension!
Old 29th April 2008, 19:39   #178
BHPian

Guys, Heritage Vehicle Owners Club of Thane is having its Second Annual Exhibition of Vintage & Classic cars & bikes on 1st May. The address to the venue is Sunil Motors,Opp Damani Estate, Near Hari Niwas Circle, LBS Marg. Thane west. Tbhpians are welcome for the Exhibition. The timings are from 10 am till 6.30 pm.
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:33   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Karl - BYF2753 was picked up by Edul Dhondi from Mr. Anklesaria's family exactly one week after he passed away. Mr.Anklesaria used to stay at Gowalia Tank and he used to have fights with almost everybody on parking place. He had 3 cars, one more dark blue Morris 8 or something and a super select fiat with an MRW number plate. I know because my in-laws used to stay in the same building. I have seen Mr.Anklesaria starting all 3 cars every evening. He was also an avid ham radio operator. Actually BYF2753 was in original paint. The originality seems to be missing now. Just for your information.
Just watched an episode of "All about my car honey", part one of two featuring Fali's collection(!). Fali recalled the Model A was Jamshed Anklesaria's, ex works manager at Dadajee Dhackjee and United Motors. Apparently his pet peeve was ensuring the car started 1st crank every time every day.
Old 2nd May 2008, 22:59   #180
BHPian

B31

"The BSA B31 is a regular with Mr Kothavala always dressed as a cop. He faithfully rides dowbn every year for the rallies." per Karl.
What year is the B31? I am trying to get detail pictures of how a 1951/2 B31 looks like. The ones on the web I was able to find dont get into details. Also if someone knows what colors were offered that would help me a lot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks