Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 23:52   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrace View Post
hey,

there is a green herald parked at lamington road near the theatre there.
ive seen it there for the last 4 years just rotting
are you talking about nasir hussains little green herald with the minilite wheels? its a very special herald!! mighty fast too i believe.. i dont think it would be for sale..
Old 21st July 2007, 09:50   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Nasir hussain.....rallying champion....the same person who designed the Standard Gazel? In that case that herald must be a UK market 1300cc one (called 13/60)....I was told he had one such Herald (from which he got the cue for the Gazel's front end styling)
Old 21st July 2007, 14:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
Oh yeah, i know where that went and how it must've hurt!!
actually, later, in hindsight i was glad i didnt win it, because there was a lot wrong with it and in those days parts etc were not as easy to locate and import.it would have been a major headache to get it running.
besides, i would have looked silly driving that monster around town( if it ever ran right), it is a car to be driven in and not drive. even today, i wouldnt mind it if my dad would be willing to be driven around in it.
is it running now?
and if i had bought the 600, then i may not have bought the lagonda later... i prefer the Lagonda[/quote]
You're right Awini, the cars a mess inside out but if one buys a car like that one should be ready to spend. the engine needs new pistons and thats gonna be mighty expensive. The cars not working.. the lagonda was more worth it i think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Gogi, with reference to your pm asking me about a mk1 Herald for your friend, please check this:

I'm sure somebody there would be interested.....I am too (for parts only, that too if its complete!) but then Bombay is way too far for me to spend on getting a parts donor! Maybe (fortunately?) it can go to somebody else there as a restoration...?
i know that car its not for sale and thats not Nazir hussien's car
Old 22nd July 2007, 13:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You're right Awini, the cars a mess inside out but if one buys a car like that one should be ready to spend. the engine needs new pistons and thats gonna be mighty expensive. The cars not working.. the lagonda was more worth it i think
i too think the lagonda is a better deal, even if i had to shell out more than double than what i bid for the 600!!
as i recall apart from the engine work, it needed new suspension baloons,fuel pump recalibrated (1000 pound job then) new hydraulic system etc, apart from cosmetics.
in todays money, it will cost at least 15-20 to be perfect in the indian sense,which is a far cry from concours standards abroad.
i was once offered a similar silver coloured right hand drive 600 very cheap, which needed as much work, but it was with a relative's friend in Hong Kong, and it was too painful to import it into india then. he had that and a seventies Lincoln Continental coupe, both were later scrapped for spares because they were uneconomical to restore.
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Arre...make him an offer he can't refuse!!!
Old 23rd July 2007, 09:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to get any pics. of it atleast?? I understand that Heralds (& basically all Standards) have always been relatively rare in bombay.
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:28   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Arre...make him an offer he can't refuse!!!
When you do that in case of some owners, (especially if it is a priced possession of a Parsi) you are surely in for trouble. He will give you time which you wont forget ever
Old 7th August 2007, 02:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
When you do that in case of some owners, (especially if it is a priced possession of a Parsi) you are surely in for trouble. He will give you time which you wont forget ever
if its a persee you have a tough job ahead. wish u luck
Old 27th August 2008, 15:59   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I forgot about this thread, so here are some cross references.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/954406-post826.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/954277-post50.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/954358-post125.html
Old 27th August 2008, 18:39   #55

I think i know whose herald this may be!! Whats the name of the guy who has that turbo fiat?? He owns a garage at lamington road and he restores classics.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:02   #56
BHPian

Friends,

Its my story of how I missed out many.......classics

First time, when I purchased my Austin 10 from Nagpur,(2003) the same guy had an Austin 7 with cranking handle, working..I had short of 35K, so satisfied with Austin 10.
He also had an nice singer.....now its sold to some one in Delhi.

Missed an Triumph twin from Mangalore, (2004) was asking 70K, he sold that to Bombay for 1.5 Lkahs. A Plymouth from Kumbhakonam,(2006) the owner was asking 1.5 lakhs, did not picked, sold to coimbatore later.

Many many....missed....now regretting

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
How I missed out on a Classic.-singer_img.jpg  

How I missed out on a Classic.-baby_austin1_img.jpg  

Old 27th August 2008, 21:11   #57
BHPian

It happens to everyone once in a while i think. In 2006 i was offered a 1973 ford mustang for 6 lacs...didnt pick up. It went for 5. today i'd pay twice that amount but not getting anything... this was my worst mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Friends,

Its my story of how I missed out many.......classics

First time, when I purchased my Austin 10 from Nagpur,(2003) the same guy had an Austin 7 with cranking handle, working..I had short of 35K, so satisfied with Austin 10.
He also had an nice singer.....now its sold to some one in Delhi.

Missed an Triumph twin from Mangalore, (2004) was asking 70K, he sold that to Bombay for 1.5 Lkahs. A Plymouth from Kumbhakonam,(2006) the owner was asking 1.5 lakhs, did not picked, sold to coimbatore later.

Many many....missed....now regretting

cheers
Old 27th August 2008, 23:45   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I'd earlier mentioned on how around 3 years ago I missed out on 2 decent, original mk1 heralds, one a rare '62 mk1 in hyd. itself, and another a 1-owner '65 in pune with original paint and OWNERS' MANUAL for 40k and 35k respectively! Reason? I listened to the wrong kind of advice and was told that the prices are far more than what these cars were worth- today I cant find a reasonably complete, decent herald in hyd. going for less than 80k-1lac! :sigh:

Added to it, I apparently had a relapse early this year when I missed out another 1-owner '65 mk1, again WITH MANUAL, albeit from Jaipur, gone again for 40k!! An ad cilpping of that car from Autocar India was even posted on tbhp.

Prior to all this, oh boy, I can NEVER forget- I missed out on a SUPERB, lovely grey and black pennant in hyd., only 2nd OWNER since 1968 (he used to drive it even after he crossed 80 years!) and ironically they were people who were known to us! Rather his son-in-law was my parents' ex-colleague who lived in our old colony. So his parents-in-laws would come down driving in that car all the way from Secunderabad quite often to their house- until as late as 6-7 years ago! Yet I hardly saw a dent or scrape on that car!
Later on the old gent was brainwashed- er-adviced! into going for a more modern car for his own convenience etc. and so one fine day he suddenly bought a new santro ! Yet he retained the pennant, and owing to age-related difficulties he developed in driving, he stopped driving down to our colony. So I didnt get to meet him and I'd asked the aunty (his daughter) about the car many many times! And she always told me that he doesnt want to part with it- even though a nephew of his also had asked for the car long before! And as he (and the car) were otherwise in quite good health, I too made myself believe at that time that he'd NEVER sell it to anyone- atleast not in the near future....although I certainly was determined to be persistent and consistent, slowly and steadily!
Unfortunately, things turned out totally differently. In 2003, I went- or rathr, was sent- to Singapore for some higher studies, although I did come home on breaks, like every 6 months. And once, just before we moved out of that colony, I asked aunty again about her father's car- and got the same answer- he's still attached to it!
I then took it out of my mind, and on my final return in 2005, I visited their house on a trip to our old colony once. And then, again, with some more hope I asked aunty again about the car- and she broke the news that her father had undergone some health challenges in between, and, as luck would have it, he was convinced into parting with the car and sold it to his old mechanic, at a really throwaway price (they said- :sob:- 5 or 6k!! )
No idea what happened to the car after that. I hope, if he was a good soul, the mechanic (who I believe was an ex-Auto Chenoy employee) would've had it go to a good home (even if he made a fat profit out of it!), if not, I fear.......you know! :(
Old 28th August 2008, 09:30   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
a 1-owner '65 in pune with original paint and OWNERS' MANUAL for 40k and 35k respectively! Reason? I listened to the wrong kind of advice and was told that the prices are far more than what these cars were worth- today I cant find a reasonably complete, decent herald in hyd. going for less than 80k-1lac!
Believe you me, three years back a Herald in Pune did not command that kind of pricing. It finally got sold for 17k. He refused to even take offers from me for anything less that 40, but I later found out he sold it for less than half of that. Now how can you blame me for that?
Old 28th August 2008, 15:02   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Believe you me, three years back a Herald in Pune did not command that kind of pricing. It finally got sold for 17k. He refused to even take offers from me for anything less that 40, but I later found out he sold it for less than half of that. Now how can you blame me for that?
Uh, who said I blame you for that??! What makes you think I'm referring to you?

It was someone else I knew (in Vizag then) who'd adviced me against buying it, and also that '62 mk1 before that. Else I suely would've bought the latter (especially considering it was a hyd. car!) atleast!

And yes, heralds practically everywhere did not command that kind of pricing back then. Unless they were something with a unique history like the Dharampur herald or such. But that wouldnt necessarily stop me from going for them even at those prices.
Anyways, he ultimately let it go for 17k?? Geez, what a nut!!

Last edited by Stanher : 28th August 2008 at 15:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks