Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 05:00   #16
BHPian

beautiful ..those god 'ol 60's retro looks still look so hep...i dont think thats a cab though...private vehicle..vintage car fanatic..love it man..
Old 2nd February 2006, 09:01   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambylimo
beautiful ..those god 'ol 60's retro looks still look so hep...i dont think thats a cab though...private vehicle..vintage car fanatic..love it man..
Hey no offense, but don't you mean 'fifties looks not 'sixties looks? Sixties cars were more square and edgy. Think Corvair, Camaro, Mustang, Firebird, Pontiac-GTO

And this is not a retrograde art-deco look. The Plymouth Cranbrook is an authentic old car. The Plymouth Prowler and Bugatti Veyron are modern cars with a retro look.
Old 2nd February 2006, 11:49   #18
BHPian

wish we actually had such cars as cabs too... i mean, u cud price it up higher, but then, atleast once in a while, traveling around in a car like this wud be nice
Old 2nd February 2006, 13:32   #19
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
wish we actually had such cars as cabs too... i mean, u cud price it up higher, but then, atleast once in a while, traveling around in a car like this wud be nice
In the sixties and seventies, the Hindustan Ambassador taxi was clearly labelled as Chhoti Taxi (छोटी टॅक्सी) because it was so much smaller than what we were used to.

That's because standard sized taxis were Chevrolets, Buicks, Packards, Studebakers, DeSotos, Plymouths, Chryslers, Fords and Mercurys.

See the kind of taxi in the 1965 movie "Aarzoo" in which the hero, Rajendra Kumar has his accident.
See the six cylinder blocks lying around the garage in the 1958 movie "Chalti ka naam gaadi"

The last of these big comfortable cars can still be occasionally seen in rural India.
`
1948 Chrysler taxi (बडी टॅक्सी)

Last edited by Ram : 2nd February 2006 at 13:49.
Old 2nd February 2006, 13:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

I had seen a feature on some news channel, about old Buicks, Chevrolets, Chryslers, Dodge cabs being still used as regular cabs in some north Indian town. Some cab owners their cars had most things stock, and that they still run great. Wish I can get a ride in one of them. I love those big old land yachts with their lazy V8s,floaty ride,rear drive and ofcourse, sheer size.

Last edited by sajo : 2nd February 2006 at 13:52.
Old 2nd February 2006, 17:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

As sajo said... they were big old land yachts... very luxurious but difficult to run in today's india with busy, narrow roads choking with traffic. I feel it all the more when I see one of those old B&W movies (say chalti kaa naam gaadi) of yesteryears with those hugely wide mumbai roads with no traffic at all and these yachts ambling along on the road.

Today they can only run in small towns and cities. Elsewhere they will require a 3-point turn at every junction and probably hit something or the other at every point We have turned into a world of small, sharp hatches. They are the only practical thing today.

Yet, what won't I give to see those old days for once... no traffic, no pollution and only wide vacant roads!
Old 2nd February 2006, 18:11   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
As sajo said... they were big old land yachts... very luxurious but difficult to run in today's india with busy, narrow roads choking with traffic.

We have turned into a world of small, sharp hatches. They are the only practical thing today.
Today’s India is becoming more and more indisciplined and crowded.

Do we want it to become like Singapore where the government punishes you for fancying big cars with expensive certificates of entitlement and like some other Asian cities, where you can either drive on even days or on odd days depending on permissions.

Or do we want to have wide disciplined boulevards like urban America where you can still own, drive and park a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham or Lincoln Limousine?

Most American and European cities have infinitely more cars and much larger cars than our little cities can handle. The difference is in discipline—in stopping before entering an intersection even when you have right-of-way. In keeping all two wheelers, handcarts and animal-drawn vehicles off the street.

Neither choking nor small cute hatches need be our destiny nor fashion of the day!
The future is not doomed to miniscule hatches, if our city planners wake up and act.

Otherwise, you are right, we will become an ocean of Indicas and Getzes, those ‘orrible Swifts and Revas. And we will consider Octavia hatches (mutated Volkswagen Golfs) to be the epitome of luxury!

Last edited by Ram : 2nd February 2006 at 18:16.
Old 15th October 2006, 00:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

that cars no dieselised taxi,,,,,used to be a single owner car, used only once a week to go to the synagogue...recently bought by a powerful maharasthrian family...lovely car...originally fully blue, the 2 tone scheme was added by the previous owner...
Old 15th October 2006, 22:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

There are a few up for sale in Ramnagar (place where sholay was shot )... about 60Km from Bangalore... approx price 35,000/- a year ago... saw a very well maintained car...These cars are HUGE...and yes the engines are changed to mahindras diesel plants.

Godfather
Old 26th November 2006, 23:16   #25

Plymouth (so called) COOL CAB

Hey Guys,

This two-tone Plymouth Vintage beauty is proudly owned by a Vintage collector Parsi friend of mine.
His name is Feroze Mehta and he normally travels Mumbai-Pune and back.
U will spot him in different Vintage cars every now and then which are all his very own priced possesions. And being a senior citizen he still manages himself to keep the under bellies of all his cars spotlessly shining like very few other enthusiasts today would.

3 Cheers 4 Feroze!!!!
Old 27th November 2006, 08:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

In Udaipur, the royal family has a fleet of Buick 8 roadmasters serving as taxis for their palace hotels
Old 27th November 2006, 10:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat 1221cc View Post
Hey Guys,

This two-tone Plymouth Vintage beauty is proudly owned by Feroze Mehta
3 Cheers 4 Feroze!!!!
nope, feroze doesnt have a plymouth...though i belive this car was with a relative of his for a while...feroze has a 47 chrysler in a similar blue from new! he is an inspiration to me, i cant help seeing method in his madness...

cheers
karl
Old 1st December 2006, 19:02   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The Raja of Bobbili (2 hr drive from Visakhapatnam) in AP owns a 1955 Desoto Diplomat.........besides a few other vintage/classic cars........very original but needs restoration......he had them brought to Vizag to grace an auto expo ther 3 yrs ago.......
Old 1st December 2006, 20:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The Raja of Bobbili (2 hr drive from Visakhapatnam) in AP owns a 1955 Desoto Diplomat.........besides a few other vintage/classic cars........very original but needs restoration......he had them brought to Vizag to grace an auto expo ther 3 yrs ago.......
Do you have any pictures?
Old 30th July 2011, 20:32   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Plymouth spotted on Mumbai-Pune expressay. EDIT - more Plymouths here.

Seen this well maintained Plymouth a few months ago in Udipi.
Attached Thumbnails
Plymouth spotted on Mumbai-Pune expressay. EDIT - more Plymouths here.-pm.jpg  

Most Viewed