Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 12:41   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Those new, trying to look old spokers look like the latest fad in Indian car embelishment ??

Whats the deal here.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:48   #1202
BHPian

No Idea on the Merc, will ask my source for details. Humber I also felt is priced right..
Old 18th April 2009, 12:54   #1203
BHPian

Any photo of Humber yet ? could be very interesting
Old 18th April 2009, 13:19   #1204
Senior - BHPian

The Ardita and the DeSoto are indeed expensive. But has anyone seen the level of the restoration? These cars are in very good condition.There is also Ford V8 tourer in that lot. The restorer was Sanjay Ghosh. A lot of money went ito this. So do not expect a price reduction of 200%. He may not even give the air in the tyres for that amount!
The cars run well, and do look closely at the level of restoration. Maybe a few L's here or there is possible, but not 200%.
The Humber, must see a pic to judge. The photos shown are advertisement material, the real car would not be so big. And the condition is not known.
The Merc in the background was from the same lot, but now believed sold. It is a 1930's 290 7-seater. The wire wheels are definitely not original. This car was being offered as a 1928 a few years ago, but it should be late 1930's.
I have noticed a trend. A very well restored vintage car does fetch money. If you take an American car for restoration, you must buy a set of all rubbers from America. And do perfect upholstry work. Paint should be done in a booth, and the tinwork must be straight. Chrome is also important, and a big headache. Now add up the expenses for all this and you reach high figures.

Not so cheers (cheerful) looking at these prices
harit
Old 18th April 2009, 13:44   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Humber, must see a pic to judge. The photos shown are advertisement material, the real car would not be so big. And the condition is not known.

harit
Hi Harit

The feedback I got are also similar. The Humber is direct from the owner, my dad has seen the car and does need a lot of work. My dad being old school still caries a flim camera, so the delay in the actual photos. The car is first owner but needs a lot of work.
Old 18th April 2009, 16:28   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
I have been pointed to a Humber Hawk Mk 1 1945~47 Model requiring grounds up restoration for about 1.5 lac. Is it worth it. Suggestions please. Pic are expected soon.
Is this Humber the Nizamuddin car? Its a Pullman then. Last i found out a few years ago when she was still restorable it was not for sale. I have not been there since the last 5 years or so.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:38   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Both desoto & fiat don't seem to be concor restorations, at best ok. The Desoto stream line and body metal finish does not seem perfect a lot of the trim/chrome parts on both cars are refurbished nothing special at best they could be worth between Rs.5 and Rs. 12 lacs lets not kid ourselves there are better cars come out of Ghosh's shop the black auto sedan with fuel filler inside the tail light could be worth some serious money just from the quality of retoration point of view. These cars seem to be some middleman trying to make a who ha. Anyone serious should sit in front of the owner and take things from there the rest as they say is "FLUFF".

This reminds me of a trip to Venice, we wrere whisked away in a fancy speed boat as we entered and taken to a so called exclusive "Signature Murano" glass factory on a small island. We were given the tour of the entire factory and prices that were being quoted seemed like from a different universe. Not mention name dropping of the entire Indian royal clan (all states) having bought different chandiliars, lamps etc. At the end my dad asked us to just select what we wanted and he truned around to the senior sales guy and told him he is taking the lot for 35% of the qouted price plus a few freebee cups etc. I was comptelely zapped as the guy made some typical italian gestures and noises and settled took the credit card to ring it up!!

We landed back on shore at the main market and the same stuff was available at half of what we paid! We still believe to date we have the stuff with the signatures (on the bottom) and the ones in the market are cheap immitations who knows but they look good on the shelves

After this episode I believed anything can be negotiated and hard, it is just how you do it, doing it with the decision maker, and the timing of at which exact point to strike.

Been practicing this and has always worked for me

Last edited by canonball : 18th April 2009 at 17:41.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:18   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Ardita and the DeSoto are indeed expensive. But has anyone seen the level of the restoration? These cars are in very good condition.There is also Ford V8 tourer in that lot. The restorer was Sanjay Ghosh. A lot of money went ito this. So do not expect a price reduction of 200%. He may not even give the air in the tyres for that amount!
The cars run well, and do look closely at the level of restoration. Maybe a few L's here or there is possible, but not 200%.
The Merc in the background was from the same lot, but now believed sold. It is a 1930's 290 7-seater. The wire wheels are definitely not original. This car was being offered as a 1928 a few years ago, but it should be late 1930's.
I have noticed a trend. A very well restored vintage car does fetch money. If you take an American car for restoration, you must buy a set of all rubbers from America. And do perfect upholstry work. Paint should be done in a booth, and the tinwork must be straight. Chrome is also important, and a big headache. Now add up the expenses for all this and you reach high figures.

harit
harit,
I only meant to say that the Desoto convertible at best can be worth 10 -12 lakhs,even if the so called inputs mentioned by you have gone into it.
also it is not a concourse car as canonball says
Old 18th April 2009, 20:49   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The early 50's Desoto and the 1930 Fiat Adrita we can get good vintage Rolls Royces from the same years. Too unrealistic prices!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Is this Humber the Nizamuddin car? Its a Pullman then. Last i found out a few years ago when she was still restorable it was not for sale. I have not been there since the last 5 years or so.
I generally refrain from discussions on prices (because, and it's just my opinion, I find that many folks develop a different perspective when their role changes from a buyer to a seller and many others just take pot-shots for the heck of it) but this information is too tempting. Anjan, or anyone else privy to information on such a sale, I'd like to know if you come to know of a good vintage Rolls (with proper documents) available at these prices. I could even stretch myself and pick up two.

Gogi, is this the Humber at Nizamuddin West (Humayun's Tomb/Railway station side) that you remember, greenish colour with an aged spinster on the first floor? Must be the same one because it was being eyed by the whole city and since it was a large Humber. However, she was a Super Snipe and not Pullman. The car was bought more than 10 years ago by GSS, the bike restorer and slowly being restored by him since then. The car belonged, first-hand, to the lady's departed sister and brother-in-law, a pre-war Army Officer/Paratrooper (and my dad's colleague). I too wanted that car but didn't get it. I couldn't last too long in that house the few times that I went there - although Ms. Kapoor was old-time grace personified. Many a hillarious/spine-chillingly funny story in some other context that I'll save for when we meet. On the ground floor lived her brother who had an Amby Mk-I with trafficators (how many have seen that? She wasn't an MO), run-down to the ground but dangerous to even attempt talking about the car with the owner, who'd be waiting for you when you came down the steep stairs. The Amby was finally scrapped!. Happily, the Humber lives.

There also used to be a grey/silver Snipe (smaller Humber) on the Nizamuddin East side, which was advertised for sale in the papers and sold, sometime in the mid/late 90s.

Last edited by Prabal : 18th April 2009 at 20:55. Reason: Added info
Old 19th April 2009, 19:32   #1210
BHPian

G4ys, The Humber is not in Delhi but some interior place in Orrisa. About the other 2 cars, it is through another collector who might not be a middle man but a friend of the owner and his collection has also a mention on our forum. I don't know the authenticity of the prices but can surely put any one across to the info source if interested.
Old 20th April 2009, 14:05   #1211
Senior - BHPian

This is about the pricing of the DeSoto and Fiat Ardita.
First and foremost I would like to clarify that neither am I selling or buying any cars, market prices are just of academic interest to me to know the value of my stock.
But comments put by Cannonball and supported by Ajay99 with little input from Anjan C 2007 do surprise me. Let me explain.

Today, there are no Rolls's actually on sale. There is a Limo with a home made head for sale, good restoration but mechanically weak with a local head. An amout three times of Anjan C 2007's price quoted has been REFUSED. The last affordable Rolls which came on the market which I know about was the Bhavnagar car with no bodywork from the front door pillars onwards. There were tussles, auctions etc. and ultimately it went for something around or under 20L. Today that would be considered a steal, at that time we thought that that price was outrageous. Perceptions have indeed changed.

Dear Cannonball, do not take this personally, but have you seen these cars in person? My friend, who knows his onions, went to Timbaktoo (he had to go via Kolkotta because there were no direct flights) to see the cars. They are amazing Ghosh restorations!!!! And money has been put into them. I have good pictures, the pictures posted are not good, have another look. The body does appear wavy (streamline?, body metal finish?) oh never mind, this car's body is not wavy for sure. And then you propose a range of 5 to 12 lacs, is that not a range toooo wide? There was an urestored but original Dodge 54 conv in bangalore which went to a bhpian for about 7L, there is a very rough one in Mumbai quoting 8L. But never mind. The Fiat Ardita convertible is probably unique and has also been very well restored. Believe me.

The problem with these cars is indeed the price, but the drop would not be to the level you estimate. You do not need to go to Venice to get conned, just go to chorbazar or a handicraft shop in India run by a very large chain. Now that is what is a real con. These cars belong to a person who could use them to ferry garbage, he is not bothered for the money. He has changed his perception and wants to let them go, provided he gets a near price. And the prices put up by ritayan are correct, he has not put hughely inflated middleman prices. I am sure that there will be a price reduction, but down to 5 to 12L? Not likely. So whoever is interested, first go see the cars, then negotiate. These cars are not in average run of the mill condition!

Cheers harit
Old 20th April 2009, 14:52   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Take your point Harit, but I still feel that 22 lacs and 26 lacs is going to be lottery in these markets, supply/demand are very elastic over time so only time will tell. Rs.5 to 12 was based on a range for such type of cars. Come on Harit we all know that exponential value appreciation in such a short time frame never hold it is the law of nature in everthing in life. Yes I do agree new bases/thresholds can be formed.

The answere is with you what was the price of the last similar Desoto you saw? Or What was the price of similar Desoto's 3 to 5 years ago?

You cannot tell me it was only 25% less than the quoted price!! can you?
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:47   #1213
BHPian

any one know of any 2 door 70's monte carlo or mustangs or something similar for sale?
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:36   #1214

1980 Toyota Corolla - Left Hand Drive, Black

Yes, it's neither a vintage nor a classic car! I know

But I certainly think the car is unique and beautiful in it's own right and is a charm to drive.

I've used this car extensively in Mumbai in my college days and beyond. It used to be one of the iconic cars in Chembur in the late 90's.
Originally was blue in color. Got it painted black in 2004 and drove it down to Bangalore. The engine is in good condition and with proper tuning delivers excellent power and is quite silent compared to it's age.

The car's height it pretty low and one of issues I am facing is the indiscriminate popping up of speed-breakers of all shapes and sizes across the city. The silencer box below the driver's seat scrapes against a lot of them when the car has 2+ people.
The solution seems to be getting bigger shock absorbers and putting spacers and such. Also it needs some bodywork to correct the rusting that is starting to happen.

I have been approached by a few scrap dealers offering me pittance for it, they way I chase them away, I'm sure they hate me.

While I am unable to afford the fixes to the car itself, I certainly do not want to car to be wasted away or scrapped.
I am putting the car up for sale to anyone who is enthusiastic enough and will preserve it.

I have put it up in the classifieds section
Team-BHP Classifieds - 1980 Toyota Corolla DX (left hand drive, petrol) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Please feel free to get in touch with me. We can easily arrange to get the car moved to another city if needed.

samking
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-gaddi.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2009, 12:00   #1215
BHPian

All we could do then is wait for some correction like in real estate [] until then save people save !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks