Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 16:51   #1231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wasnt there a Peugeot or a Sunbeam also at this Nizamuddin west address? I am talking about the Red/Maroon/Rust (difficult to point ot the exact shade under layers of dust and tattered body cover)Pullman in Nizamuddin East.
Don't remember anything about a Peugeot or a Sunbeam at that house, Gogi. Maybe was with someone else in the immediate vicinity, but I can't recollect now. Remember a mint sea-foam green colour SuperSelect though, two cars from the Humber. There used to be a red Peugeot 204 convertible and a Red 1960s Humber Estate (can't remember now whether a Hawk or a Super Snipe Estate) with a Sikh gentleman in Defence Colony. The Peugeot had surfaced in a collection in Chandigarh few days back in one of the threads here.

Quote:
Then there was Mr.(or was it Dr.) Bhalla, a silver haired, distinguished looking chap, who was my sister's imediate nieghbour. He had a 68 Mustang, a 1971 Tomato Red Chevy Malibu and a Packard convertible in white. in mint condition. I remember faintly asking him if he would ever sell these beauties. He replied, Ill kill the person who suggests it. Needless to ay i never suggested it.
Mr. Bhalla was a real enthusiast and old-world charm personified. A delightful person to know. Sadly, we are losing the people too! Mais, c'est la vie!

Anyway, you could have risked it, Gogi. That Packard was to die for.
Old 9th May 2009, 17:17   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is an engine bay shot of a (once) nice Variant in Pune. The car was one owner, original white paint till overcoated red by present owner. Car was a great runner, 100% complete but abandoned for a few years now, sinking slowly into the ground. When I brought a friend to try and buy the car, it was described by owner as 'half self start'. Sigh!

Any pix of the car itself karl??
Old 9th May 2009, 17:24   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Any pix of the car itself karl??
Here she is. Owner tells me the first owner drove it down from Germany. I dont know if it is still for sale.

Even those cool wheel trims are intact on the car, the missing side trims and lenses are in a box inside. I dont know current status of the car, but I hope it has not sunk too much further.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-001.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-002.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-003.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-004.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-005.jpg  

Old 9th May 2009, 17:52   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Anyway, you could have risked it, Gogi. That Packard was to die for.
You bet it was. And i was told it was sold for huge price back then too, which i cant even afford now, leave alone back then.I had actually asked him indirectly. He was blessed with really good skin, so i could see the blood rush up to his face...... turning it a clichéd blood red. Henceforth i refrained from asking him, lest he ban me from visiting his house. I used to love the chat we used to have sitting in the park opposite his house, followed by a cup of coffee in his thermos he carried. He had many a story to share about cars.

Quote:
I would beg to disagree with you there, Gogi. There are people with variable (and imaginative) notions everywhere! I have heard of atrocious demands, and even more atrocious behaviour pre and post purchase, happening in many other places, including Bombay and Poona (a city that I love from the bottom of my heart!). Delhi tends to get a lot of undeserving/prejudiced flak; something that I'm also guilty of indulging in many a times.
Sir do agree.

Actually one tends to know the nouveau collecteur types and thus we avoid them but in other cities, if you meet up with these kind of guys then its curtains. Yes there are people here too who will not think twice of quoting absurd prices, thats so true.

I dont know about prejudiced flak but both you and me know the kind of guys we have met and what they quote...
Old 9th May 2009, 17:57   #1235
Senior - BHPian

vw parts for variant

Quote:
That car looks really complete and intact. Restoration should not be too difficult, parts are not too expensive and not too hard to find.
Karl bhai, I beg to differ,if you are using genuine VW made in germany NOS parts,they are difficult to get and carry heavy price tags, but if you are using repros made in BRAZIL ,then you save on price, but compromise on quality durability and grade of restoration

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th May 2009 at 18:20.
Old 9th May 2009, 18:16   #1236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Karl bhai, I beg to differ,if you are using genuine VW made in germany NOS parts,they are difficult to get and carry heavy price tags, but if you are using repros made in BRAZIL ,then you save on price, but compromise on quality durability and grade of restoration
Well, a heavy price tag is a relative term. But I'm sure it would still be fairly easy on the pocket to bring up to good presentable standards. Brazilian repro parts are not necessarily a bad thing, their quality is still far superior to the stuff made in Delhi for example, or some jugaad of locally available parts. Of course, a concours level restoration can prove expensive with all NOS parts.
Old 9th May 2009, 18:24   #1237
Senior - BHPian

just now talked to the variant owner.the car has not run for last 3-4 years and is now stationed at Agra. he is not quoting any price!!.Actually he says he approached Diljeet titus with this car,Titus said he is interested only in pre-40 cars. but TITUS took the photos of the car nevertheless. By the way Jatti saab,what is your connection with TITUS

Quote:
Well, a heavy price tag is a relative term. But I'm sure it would still be fairly easy on the pocket to bring up to good presentable standards. Brazilian repro parts are not necessarily a bad thing, their quality is still far superior to the stuff made in Delhi for example, or some jugaad of locally available parts. Of course, a concours level restoration can prove expensive with all NOS parts.
quite right ,to quote an example the tail pipes of beetle are available in India for rs.600/- a pair(USD12), the Brazilian ones cost USD20/- pair(Rs.1000/-) and the NOS VW german ones USD70/-(Rs.3500/-).

Last edited by ajmat : 9th May 2009 at 20:31.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:45   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here she is. Owner tells me the first owner drove it down from Germany. I dont know if it is still for sale.
Wow, a real sad sight this!!

What kind of place was this btw? 'looks like some garage/junkyard. Any idea if that yellow Beetle (looks like a pre '66 post oval, 'would love to have one of those!) is still around?
Old 9th May 2009, 19:46   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
He was blessed with really good skin, so i could see the blood rush up to his face...... turning it a clichéd blood red.
Hehehe, that's a good one Gogi - "looked at me as if I was asking for their daughter's hand in marriage," "I'll kill anyone who suggests it; needless to say I didn't say it" to this one, you've had me in splits with your trademark witticisms, sir. I can almost imagine Mr. Bhalla seething at your 'preposterous utterance' and poor you wondering what to do next... somebody should do a comic/cartoon series on hunting collectible automobiles! There'd be no dirth of masala from us.

Quote:
but both you and me know the kind of guys we have met and what they quote...
...yeah, and even the knowledge of their own car. The most important thing to do of course is to acquire a hat first. A Havanos (or Behike if you want to be the best!!) adds more gravitas, while a jaunty stride, and polishing up the diction (suitably modifying it rather) also come along magically.

Last edited by Prabal : 9th May 2009 at 20:06. Reason: Getting politically correct!
Old 9th May 2009, 19:52   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
Please see attached photographs of a 1967 Volkswagon Variant which is for sale. For further details please contact the owner Dr. U. T. Advani on his mobile no. 9810018244, A22/2, NDSE Part-I, New Delhi – 110 049.
hI Jatti I am taking you back to 1972 when I was in Fr.Agnel Technical Institute Bandra doing my engineering there used to be a Garage in the premises and Mala Sinha the yesteryears actress had a Powder Blue Varient in immaculate condition and she used to come herself to the garage to get it repaired and Mr.Preiera who was expert in them used to attend to her. She had all spares with her and one day I asked her about the car she told me that she will never sell it as it is very comfertable to travel in it,and requires almost no maintenance ,similarly Mr. Ravi Tandon, Raveena Tandon's father had a white beetle and he also himself used to come to the garage then Mr.Ravi Chopra the director used to come with his father Mr.B.R.Chopra I think they had a Mercedez Benz. Due to a best organised garage of Bandra at that time all big shots used it for repaires of their cars and being students we had privilage to see them in person.Now I think the garage is no more there.

Quote:
Check on the details GS its got a diesel heart.. So much for originality

Agree with you entirely. Its like when a certain garage in bombay went all out and modded contessas with Merc W123 mods. Horrendous. The owners of such cars only fool themselves.
Hi.V16 You are right same thing happened with Anupam Kher he had a Contessa with Merc looks many years back when he was staying in Marina Building next to Palm Grove in Juhu I am talking about year 1984 or so the imitation was a shabbily done job with Merc front grille and all sorts of fittings just brought and fixed I saw him travelling in it many times those days.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th May 2009 at 20:34.
Old 9th May 2009, 20:33   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Like the cars themselves, that were made in n number of locations worldwide, all following VW's uniform, standardised production processes, the parts too have been made and supplied from all the corners. Many of them were OE on even the cars made in Wolfsburg!! India never made the Beetle, but along with the replacement market, there were parts made (and still being made) here that went as OE. One just had to know how to gauge a sub-standard or a fake part from a genuine article, the country of manufacture not withstanding. There are fakes in Germany also, by the way! And the VW, as we all know, till the early Types (1,2,3, etc.) was a low-cost car in the first place, right? One can restore to concours without burning the bank!

It's easy to restore a classic VW with genuine parts without burning a hole in your pocket. One can of course take a purist's stand and argue about parts made in Germany and elsewhere till the cows come home. Just see the plight of the modern Skoda (Mr. KB please pardon me for that horrible, horrible remark!!) and VW owners with the breakdown rates of their German parts, and then see how the ones made, say in Taiwan, hold up to decide!

Quote:
quite right ,to quote an example the tail pipes of beetle are available in India for rs.600/- a pair(USD12), the Brazilian ones cost USD20/- pair(Rs.1000/-) and the NOS VW german ones USD70/-(Rs.3500/-).
A friend has a pair of India-made tail pipes on his Bug since 1994; still doing well. By simple Maths, I’m sure he wouldn’t need to change them six more times in his lifetime, so he’s ok I guess not having got a German pair!

Last edited by Prabal : 9th May 2009 at 20:47. Reason: changed 'standardised prodcuction standards' to standardised production processes!
Old 9th May 2009, 20:45   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Speedy ,

I think you got it just right , basis the the type of cars I buy the prices of UNRESTORED jeeps :

25,000 to 50,000 for low bonnet Willys (with a side valve engine ). I know of a Willys low bonnet jeep with air scoop on the bonnet which accomodates an OHV engine.

30,000 to 70,000 for a Ford

A jeep winch was sold for Rs 1000 yesterday,

Here is something I was asked Rs 5,00,000 for, in Lucknow :
(A Ford GPA in the photographed condition )

Hi I think I read it somewhere and saw a photograph also of similar jeep owned by a highway dhaba owner complete with gun stands etc and being used daily to bring groceries and vegetables from nearest big town. It is somewhere in MadhyaPradesh or Rajasthan I dont remember, but the vehicle is in immaculate conditionproperly registered and kept that way by the owner.God knows where he gets spares from for it and who does the repaires to it.If anyone knows more about it and has photos pleassssssss post pictures.please
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The sidevalve version is called the series mm. Production ended in Febuary 53, The Minor 1000 was available October 56 onwards.

More here
Welcome to the Website for the Potteries branch of the Morris Minor Owners Club
Hi Khanak I will take you back to year 1961 or 1962 there were plenty of these cute Morris Minors or TIGER very popularly called by these sardarjee taxi drivers of koliwada in mumbai almost all taxies were these Tiger models and mostly used to ferry illicit liqure or daru in truck tubes kept in its dicky and inside by removing rear seat, they were very quick in disappearing act and were of no match to slugish police vehicles in intercepting them inspite of fully loaded with daru. All had added leaf spring [PATTA] in the rear tocarry as more load as possible. They did not have rear number plate. Later on they became difficult to maintain and were captured by Fiats but even today if you ask any senior taxi driver of koliwada about TIGER you find tears in thier eyes remembering those vehicles.Imust be around 6 years old then and was facinated by these cute taxies, Fare used to start from 0.50n.p.after meter down.THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2009 at 08:26.
Old 9th May 2009, 21:07   #1243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
What kind of place was this btw? 'looks like some garage/junkyard. Any idea if that yellow Beetle (looks like a pre '66 post oval, 'would love to have one of those!) is still around?
The place belongs to the owner, he runs a dhabha out of it. There were 2 Beetles, both 62 model. One from Delhi, one from Goa. Both were practically beyond restoration. Yellow car had many awful modifications, but used to run till about 93-94 when I saw it on the road last. She was red, and had a large smiling face painted on the engine decklid. Will dig out the photo.

I (along with a friend) had bought the two bugs for (I think) 19,000 rupees for spares, with the understanding that the bodies be scrapped by the owner himself, and he keeps that money gained. I was to get 2 engines, gearboxes, axles, suspension, all wheels, glasses, seats, good bumpers etc etc - everything but the bodies. This was around 2 years back. We paid him full cash in advance, telling him we will collect the cars after 2 months - our mistake. In the mean time he sold the two cars to a collector (who was also using the cars only for parts for his 2 Beetles) for about 30 or 35,000, cant recall. He did refund my money, but well...

I tried reasoning with the collector who bought the cars that I already owned them and paid for them, he promised to give me what I needed and took the cars. I never got a nut or bolt from those cars, but thats a different story. Live and learn!
Old 10th May 2009, 11:42   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like the cars themselves, that were made in n number of locations worldwide, all following VW's uniform, standardised production processes, the parts too have been made and supplied from all the corners. Many of them were OE on even the cars made in Wolfsburg!! India never made the Beetle, but along with the replacement market, there were parts made (and still being made) here that went as OE. One just had to know how to gauge a sub-standard or a fake part from a genuine article, the country of manufacture not withstanding. There are fakes in Germany also, by the way! And the VW, as we all know, till the early Types (1,2,3, etc.) was a low-cost car in the first place, right? One can restore to concours without burning the bank!

It's easy to restore a classic VW with genuine parts without burning a hole in your pocket. One can of course take a purist's stand and argue about parts made in Germany and elsewhere till the cows come home. Just see the plight of the modern Skoda (Mr. KB please pardon me for that horrible, horrible remark!!) and VW owners with the breakdown rates of their German parts, and then see how the ones made, say in Taiwan, hold up to decide!

A friend has a pair of India-made tail pipes on his Bug since 1994; still doing well. By simple Maths, I’m sure he wouldn’t need to change them six more times in his lifetime, so he’s ok I guess not having got a German pair!
of course there are fakes made in germany like in any other country.what i have mentioned is NOS GENUINE VW item which comes in old VW box packing (made in W germany) not the ones with audi and VW logos together !!!. regarding your friends tail pipes ,either he is plain lucky or he stays in a place far away from the sea, without humidity/corrosion problems.
and also,if genuine VW german parts were not in demand they would not command such premium prices in the first place.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:26   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried reasoning with the collector who bought the cars that I already owned them and paid for them, he promised to give me what I needed and took the cars. I never got a nut or bolt from those cars, but thats a different story. Live and learn!
Ah well, 'tis a pity indeed! But atleast you were lucky to get a refund on your money......there would be a few others who had a similar experience wouldn't have been even this lucky!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks