Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 23:45   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Who are we talking about gogi?
The second guy. Hes got a lot of parts but the tinwork etc was done at the restorer's place. At the time i have seen the only VW-Porsche 914 also with him, top down with rain water gathered in it. Not a very good thing to do to such a rare car, or any car, especially if lying with you for repairs is it?

That car has definitely been done with.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:02   #1277

Shyam, Get the Grille and Bumpers, and let her be scrapped...Its not worth changing the engine et all!! And someone has recently removed the Front right side small round parking light which comes on the quater panel it seems.
Old 16th May 2009, 09:31   #1278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Shyam, Get the Grille and Bumpers, and let her be scrapped...Its not worth changing the engine et all!! And someone has recently removed the Front right side small round parking light which comes on the quater panel it seems.
Aye aye sir! Grille and Bumpers only it can be, as my other friend is set to take all the rest of the original stuff on it!

:sigh: Oh well........atleast I tried!

Um, the car does not have the original round indicators on either side! It's been fitted with Maruti ones, as you can see.

Could you pm me your no. btw, and I shall let you know how much he wants for those.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:24   #1279
BHPian

Shyam, could you please check if the headlamps on the above delight are Lucas " Made in England" ones ? They are rare now a days.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 16th May 2009, 17:04   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Shyam, could you please check if the headlamps on the above delight are Lucas " Made in England" ones ?
Nope, neither one is I'm afraid! Only left side one is Lucas, that too "Foreign Glass"

How I wish I had amassed a bunch of the MiE Lucas lamps when they were more common 7-8 years ago!
Old 17th May 2009, 05:44   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I'm looking to buy this US spec 86 560SL here in Abu Dhabi. Car is complete and a runner with 104,000 Miles on it and both tops.

What do you guys think of it. What should I look out for in this before buying.

Price is AED 25,000 but its negotiable.

In Nov last year I got a 92 BMW 850 coupe for a song. The car was very rough, a Japanese import, but great fun to drive.

Most of the electronics didn't work including the adjustable suspension. Got it for AED 12,000, cleaned it up, pulled off the tint and was driving it when somebody offered 20K for it and now its gone.
regarding R107 series check this site Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Roadster Buyers Guide

also check out Mercedes-Benz Forum you will find a wealth of info regarding r107...if you get a good specomen you will enjoy it ,remember they leak oil as the car is more than 20 years old .last production car was in june 1988 and the rubber o rings and seals are old and brittle.good luck with your search
Old 17th May 2009, 09:48   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMASURG View Post
regarding R107 series check this site Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Roadster Buyers Guide

also check out Mercedes-Benz Forum you will find a wealth of info regarding r107...if you get a good specomen you will enjoy it ,remember they leak oil as the car is more than 20 years old .last production car was in june 1988 and the rubber o rings and seals are old and brittle.good luck with your search

Thanks for the advice. Will do as you mentioned.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:50   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMASURG View Post

Correction.The production of R107 series ended in 1989. Sorry for the type error
Old 18th May 2009, 17:38   #1284
BANNED

Looking for an Austin 7

HI
Does anyone know about an Austin 7 available for sale.I am looking for a restoration project.It should have its engine block and majority of the body parts(it may be rusty but thats ok)The PAPERS to the car must be in order.My budget is approx Rs.50,000 to Rs.65,000
Old 19th May 2009, 17:34   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The second guy. Hes got a lot of parts but the tinwork etc was done at the restorer's place. At the time i have seen the only VW-Porsche 914 also with him, top down with rain water gathered in it. Not a very good thing to do to such a rare car, or any car, especially if lying with you for repairs is it?

That car has definitely been done with.
Well gogi you get what you pay for in this case pay when you feel like it!! Knowing the 914 story intimately this is a case of a guy/guys having too many cars lying around in other peoples workshops or farm houses and paying once in a while. What do you expect take for example your own W115 that workshop to looks no different. Gogi the difference is you who keeps going there and following up agressively because you know she is not in Sanghi/Autohanger and that you are paying peanuts for the job. Most importantly you are motivated to finish what you started not the case here. I am surprised you would say this when I think you know how these things work!! Boss real estate costs are high and a legit guy like carrera motors at least keeps the car without demerage for some of the guys who have been parking cars for free!!! Will you let me park my cars in that long drive of yours since I see you sympathising with hoarders?

To date I have got all my cars looked at by the same gentleman and got them back. Lets not get tempted to run down a good auto engineer who is apolitical and has nothing to loose but his dignity/respect because money he certainly does not need I am sure you know that as well

Last edited by canonball : 19th May 2009 at 17:45.
Old 19th May 2009, 20:15   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil Som View Post
HI
Does anyone know about an Austin 7 available for sale.I am looking for a restoration project.It should have its engine block and majority of the body parts(it may be rusty but thats ok)The PAPERS to the car must be in order.My budget is approx Rs.50,000 to Rs.65,000
In my view if you manage to get an AUSTIN 7 at that budget , you should be a really LUCKY person!!!
Old 19th May 2009, 21:42   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Well gogi you get what you pay for in this case pay when you feel like it!! Knowing the 914 story intimately this is a case of a guy/guys having too many cars lying around in other peoples workshops or farm houses and paying once in a while.
You got me wrong Cannonball. I am not taking sides. I know Anoop too. Not even blaming him.
Taking in someone's car and then spoiling it by letting rain water form a pool and the branches fall in the seats and rot is no excuse, im sorry.

Quote:
What do you expect take for example your own W115 that workshop to looks no different. Gogi the difference is you who keeps going there and following up agressively because you know she is not in Sanghi/Autohanger and that you are paying peanuts for the job. Most importantly you are motivated to finish what you started not the case here.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. I will answer to the best of my ability as i understand your above statement.

Let me tell you a little story about large workshops that you mention and see through rose coloured spectacles. I have a 350 SE W116 which was given to a workshop of similar repute (no names here) and where all my other Mercs were done earlier too. I paid a hefty advance for the car, as force of habit so that they dont stall halfway. It took them four years to just paint my car. They ruined my car, the interiors and also somehow managed to smash the windscreen. The car was rescued from that workshop about a couple of months ago. They have still not found a reason to give me, for treating the car in this manner. SO what wil you do here, blame me? I lost it when a dealer came to me, not knowing that the particular car was mine, and metted out a story told to him by the owner there which is very similar to the story of the Porsche owner. Not saying that your story is not true, im telling you about the "Big" workshops. Now i have sent the car to my restorer friend in another state who will charge me a small fortune again, over and above what i have paid to this thief.

The moral is that these large garages that you mention are by no means taking care of your car even if you pay for them. My mistake was not going to often to check on the progress because i thought my car was in good hands. Obviously I have not got a penny back and they have lost a customer permanently.

Thats when i started looking for somewhere closer to get my car done, by a completely trustworthy guy. Yes it is cheaper than the highway robbers but i can see its being dealt with the way i want it. Thats more important to me and i am not ashamed at paying much less for a job (peanuts would be an extreme term)well done as compared to the bigger workshops. After all a penny saved is a penny earned.

Quote:
I am surprised you would say this when I think you know how these things work!! Boss real estate costs are high and a legit guy like carrera motors at least keeps the car without demerage for some of the guys who have been parking cars for free!!!
I know how thse things work and i also know Anoop's habit of not being able to refuse his friends.

Quote:
I am surprised you would say this when I think you know how these things work!! Boss real estate costs are high and a legit guy like carrera motors at least keeps the car without demerage for some of the guys who have been parking cars for free!!! Will you let me park my cars in that long drive of yours since I see you sympathising with hoarders?
If I allow you the liberty to park your car at my place, without a demurrage, i will most certainly make sure its kept clean and will in no ways let your car turn into a swimming pool. That is inexcusable

You have an axe to grind with the 600SL hoarder, do it but not on my stone I have similar views about him too, though you seem to know parts of the story about the 2002 which i dont. Cant argue with that.

Quote:
To date I have got all my cars looked at by the same gentleman and got them back. Lets not get tempted to run down a good auto engineer who is apolitical and has nothing to loose but his dignity/respect because money he certainly does not need I am sure you know that as well
Not running him down. I have mentioned, i know him well. I did not mean to demean him or his reputation.

The fact remains that if there is someone who will not pay or has a similar reputation, threaten to send the car back to him. Better still dont take his car if you know so much about his reputation or better start charging for parking. At least then you wont have a excuse to spoil someone's car.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:21   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Gogi, I think we are all on the right track here, and I agree that he does like to keep friends happy instead of being principled and I keep asking him the same when I see cars going into the ground, he is not agressive and to much of a gentleman he will ask twice for money but we Indians have an infamously thick hide. I think in those days he was new to all this ( his own shop) now he just calls up the owners and says your car will be pushed into the street and still there are some who just don't turn up. So what else is he to do you can't expect him to build a special roof to cover the car with his own money do you. So I still think you can't say he can't let the car go into the ground he may be soft but I don't think anyone is into chariety!! I think he is already doing chariety by keeping her on his premises!! if she was pushed out into the street she would be taken by BMC and you know the rest. It is precisely for this reason the owner could atlest sell her to the current guy who is no better as she remains in the same state worse maybe

Your comment about knowing the owners intentions and habbits in advance and not taking their cars is all after the fact. It is exactly these experiences that have been a learning. So don't take you anger out on him because you feel bad a rare car is gone down the tubes. Personally I don't think she is any great shakes (914's are not that sought after internationallly unless you have a kink for it )he has another rare car which he did not let happen the same and has kept her sheltered dispite the fact so he should be your hero not someone to point at because you felt bad.

Last edited by canonball : 20th May 2009 at 12:38.
Old 20th May 2009, 15:45   #1289
Senior - BHPian

prices of NOS VW parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well, a heavy price tag is a relative term. But I'm sure it would still be fairly easy on the pocket to bring up to good presentable standards. Brazilian repro parts are not necessarily a bad thing, their quality is still far superior to the stuff made in Delhi for example, or some jugaad of locally available parts. Of course, a concours level restoration can prove expensive with all NOS parts.
prabhal,awinipatel,here is a link where you can see the prices of NOS genuine VWparts.
aircooled museum
Old 20th May 2009, 16:44   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
prabhal,awinipatel,here is a link where you can see the prices of NOS genuine VWparts.
aircooled museum
these prices are of no consequence, your link is just one of literally millions of VW parts sources around the globe, and he is not our source, i recently bought a nos GERMAN carb for rs3800 and gasket set for rs 280 in delhi!
also, Prab(h)al is bengali, and im not gujrati

Last edited by awini : 20th May 2009 at 17:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks