Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 16:50   #1381
BHPian

the red and white car is a chevy 56 belair convertible under restoration at my place.
Old 10th June 2009, 18:16   #1382
Senior - BHPian

yes it looks like a belair 56-57
Old 11th June 2009, 12:35   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
posting these two cars on behalf of my freinds. fiat select and 1985 maruti standard
Can you please post more details of the Fiat. I am genuinely interested in it.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 11th June 2009, 12:54   #1384
Senior - BHPian

I too am in line for fiat and am in Bangalore. BTW just outside my office there is an ATM.
Old 11th June 2009, 15:11   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I too am in line for fiat and am in Bangalore. BTW just outside my office there is an ATM.
What is your cash withdrawal limit on the ATM ???
Old 11th June 2009, 15:38   #1386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
WHich, the light blue and white, i just saw it day before yesterday.
Was it the same one I posted earlier, WB regn.?? Any idea when it was bought?
Old 11th June 2009, 15:48   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Is it the Light Blue and white one which he bought??
No. It was a black one. Used to be parked at Napean Sea Road.
Old 11th June 2009, 22:20   #1388
BHPian

all guys can call my friend babu in coimbatore his contact no is 09842221161 for the fiat select &maruti standard
Old 12th June 2009, 07:38   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
Willys Cj3b Is For Sale Here In Ahmedabad. The Expectation For The Same Is Rs.3.25 Lacs. With Original Petrol Engine, New Tyres, New Battery, New Radiator, Engine Has Been Overhauled Recently And Suspension Brakes Too. Excellent Condition. Accessories As U Can See.

This is "Mahindra" and not a WILLIS "Jeep". Willis Jeeps originally had Side valve Engines and so the bonnet were low also short wheel base. Mahindra had extended the wheel base by about 12" & had OHV Engines so the Bonnets were high. Also on the both side of the bonnets "WILLIS" Stampings were there. Also the Willis Jeeps had vacuum operated Wind Screen Wipers.

You all may know these things. I mentioned it because, we had an original(1952) WILLIS Jeep which was bought from Thodupuzha in kerala for Rs.7000/00 in the 60's and after a few years sold it for Rs.11000/00 and bought a Mahindra for Rs.19000/00. I repent the selling of the "JEEP" even now.

Sathish
Old 12th June 2009, 12:45   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post

This is "Mahindra" and not a WILLIS "Jeep". Willis Jeeps originally had Side valve Engines and so the bonnet were low also short wheel base. Mahindra had extended the wheel base by about 12" & had OHV Engines so the Bonnets were high. Also on the both side of the bonnets "WILLIS" Stampings were there. Also the Willis Jeeps had vacuum operated Wind Screen Wipers.

You all may know these things. I mentioned it because, we had an original(1952) WILLIS Jeep which was bought from Thodupuzha in kerala for Rs.7000/00 in the 60's and after a few years sold it for Rs.11000/00 and bought a Mahindra for Rs.19000/00. I repent the selling of the "JEEP" even now.

Sathish
Hi There.

The Willys / Ford jeeps of the WW2 era came with the vacuum wipers. The civilian versions, the CJ series was introduced in 44 featured the same WW2 willys "Go Devil" side valve engine but had a new stronger transmission Other features of the CJ2A were the carried over split windscreen with electric wipers and the introduction of the opening tailgate.

The CJ3A appeared in 49 with the same sidevalve engine / transmaission but featured a full one piece windscreen. It also had a vent under the windscreen in the middle.

The CJ3B replaced the 3A in 53. It featured the new Willys "Hurricane" OHV four cylinder engine. This required the higher grill and bonnet to clear the added engine height.It also featured the Willys script on both sides of the bonnet and on the grille and had the increased wheelbase This was current till 68

The CJ3B was what the Mahindra started making under their own name. It basically remained in production with changes to the engine / transmission upto 1998.

The Willys jeep you have would in all probability be the CJ3A with the sidevalve engine, one piece windscreen and the vent below the screen.Like I said these were produced from 49 to 53.

The Jeep for sale with Mr. Nath is a CJ3B as he has mentioned.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:29   #1391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi There.

The Willys / Ford jeeps of the WW2 era came with the vacuum wipers. The civilian versions, the CJ series was introduced in 44 featured the same WW2 willys "Go Devil" side valve engine but had a new stronger transmission Other features of the CJ2A were the carried over split windscreen with electric wipers and the introduction of the opening tailgate.

The CJ3A appeared in 49 with the same sidevalve engine / transmaission but featured a full one piece windscreen. It also had a vent under the windscreen in the middle.

The CJ3B replaced the 3A in 53. It featured the new Willys "Hurricane" OHV four cylinder engine. This required the higher grill and bonnet to clear the added engine height.It also featured the Willys script on both sides of the bonnet and on the grille and had the increased wheelbase This was current till 68

The CJ3B was what the Mahindra started making under their own name. It basically remained in production with changes to the engine / transmission upto 1998.

The Willys jeep you have would in all probability be the CJ3A with the sidevalve engine, one piece windscreen and the vent below the screen.Like I said these were produced from 49 to 53.

The Willys branding stopped sometime in 1968. It was at the international level and has something to do with Kaiser Jeep Corporation selling the brand to American Motors (AMC the fourth car maker in the US also the 4th in the then BIG FOUR).Later on, AMC sold the Jeep brand to Chrysler.
So it was the Jeep brand name that M&M were using since 1968 till sometime in 1975.In 1968 the RHD Jeeps came by and so also the FC 160, a pick-up truck. Even the longer wheelbase Jeeps CJ 4A came by in 1968 and were available with the CJ3B continuing. The technical collaboration with Chrysler continued till 1975. Later on, since 1977 after the collaboration ceased, the UV's were branded as Mahindra and that has continued eversince. It will come as a surprise that between 1975 till 1977 the M&M, UV's made, had no badging on the front grille.
The picture by Subodh Nath is a Jeep from the RHD post 1968 era that sported the Yenkay white digit, back dial meters. The yellow digits, black dial Autometers came along in 1978.
Old 12th June 2009, 23:35   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi There.

Wasif, The WW2 Willys MB & Ford GPWs came with hand operated wipers (like our early Bajaj autos). The Vacuum were after market fitments.
The Willy's script was current till 1968 after which it came with the 'Jeep',
script on the grill alone not on the sides of the bonnet till perhaps 1975., after which the CJ3B license got expired with Chrysler Corp. However, the early MM540s did have the 'Jeep', script in a plate, on the sides between the front mudguard and the doors.
Old 13th June 2009, 13:03   #1393
BHPian

here is one more picture of the engine and also the vacuum wiper in the cj3b.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-willy.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-willys.jpg  

Old 13th June 2009, 13:29   #1394
Senior - BHPian

If you quote a realistic price I would be interested in this CJ3B !!
Old 14th June 2009, 10:41   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dussey

You are absolutely correct about the hand operated wipers on the GPW/ MB.

The Willys name died out in 68 at the hands of Chrysler Corp.

BTW the wipers in the last set of pictures from Mr. Nath are actually the electric version as were to be found on the Mahindra Jeeps. They are definitely not the vacuum types.

Wasif

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks