Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 02:14   #1426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Manish,
Sometimes emotions and desires should go ahead of economics, then you will be called a passionate fool. Only for sometime, ask me, I have been there. And I can afford to write this post.
But, always be careful. Do not exceed too much, that can bomb. What the Dilliwallas have been doing was excessive.

Best of luck with your final decision, which will be yours and only yours.
Sound advice Manish!

If I had the space there are a few cars I would have picked up, first to keep them on the road and secondly either to restore them or sell them at a later date to enable me afford something special. As good as a good investment portfolio and much more enjoyable. With the tremendous growth in Automobile Market, in few short years, there will be a great demand for even the most lowly vintage and classic cars.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:19   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But now I have 2 Dodge Chargers, one bought from Chor bazar, and the second came from the stock of a filmwalla
Some people have all the luck,not one but two Chargers. Harit Sir could you post pictures of these and their specs.

must be interesting cars why are you not planning to get them going, maybe use both to get one on the road again.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:33   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Charger hi charger!

Quote:
But now I have 2 Dodge Chargers, one bought from Chor bazar, and the second came from the stock of a filmwalla
Harit,

A few years ago, BSM (in their "Long time no see" vintage section) featured a Dodge Charger belonging to someone in Pune. It was a regular round headlamp model. They also said that the person had recently acquired a "General Lee" model Charger which was undergoing restoration in his works.

Just for clarification, are these your cars which were featured? Or are there 2 collectors in India owning 2 Chargers each?
Old 18th June 2009, 10:34   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Tks all for the advice. BTW the engine is also not original (as one cannot see the External Oil Filter and its piping).

Secondly the car sports bucket seats on the front (a guess after seeing the pictures).

@ Amol, After posting i went through the resoration thread of your car once again and man Gotta do lot of work (sourcing of parts) to bring her up.

I really need to bug my home town old parts shop's, back in 2001 we were getting parts for them in plenty. I am hopefull that they still may have parts lying in the dark corners of their godown's.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:23   #1430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Harit,

A few years ago, BSM (in their "Long time no see" vintage section) featured a Dodge Charger belonging to someone in Pune. It was a regular round headlamp model. They also said that the person had recently acquired a "General Lee" model Charger which was undergoing restoration in his works.

Just for clarification, are these your cars which were featured? Or are there 2 collectors in India owning 2 Chargers each?
The Pune Charger was/is owned by Thakker. He has no other Charger, I dont recall mention of the other Charger in the article too. I was present for that shoot. Harit has 2, one more is WB regd, red, owned in Chennai I think. So far 4 known Chargers in India.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:37   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Harit,

As per my knowledge, the are only 4 Chargers in India. My two, one in Chennai and one in Pune which must be the one featured. I do not think that anyone has a "General Lee" in India. One of mine is a R/T SE.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:00   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys,

Tks all for the advice. BTW the engine is also not original (as one cannot see the External Oil Filter and its piping).

Secondly the car sports bucket seats on the front (a guess after seeing the pictures).

@ Amol, After posting i went through the resoration thread of your car once again and man Gotta do lot of work (sourcing of parts) to bring her up.

I really need to bug my home town old parts shop's, back in 2001 we were getting parts for them in plenty. I am hopefull that they still may have parts lying in the dark corners of their godown's.
You would have read my post 1422 on the previous page. Words of wisdom, but there is something even more important before that stage. That is you must check out what you plan to buy BEFORE you go public and contemplate to buy. I believe that you may have jumped the gun. Of course it is better to know the real situation before you spend money, but this engine and seat part should have been clear to you at the very beginning.
But having said that, and seeing all your Fiat Logo's, you seem to be a Fiat fan. Then this car is a good find, you can make the corrections one by one and at some stage end up with an original car. If you were to find a 100% car today, it would certainly cost much more.
And make up your mind before someone beats you to it. I believe it is not a very good idea to go so public before you have secured the deal.
Good Luck
Old 18th June 2009, 12:33   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You would have read my post 1422 on the previous page. Words of wisdom, but there is something even more important before that stage. That is you must check out what you plan to buy BEFORE you go public and contemplate to buy. I believe that you may have jumped the gun. Of course it is better to know the real situation before you spend money, but this engine and seat part should have been clear to you at the very beginning.
But having said that, and seeing all your Fiat Logo's, you seem to be a Fiat fan. Then this car is a good find, you can make the corrections one by one and at some stage end up with an original car. If you were to find a 100% car today, it would certainly cost much more.
And make up your mind before someone beats you to it. I believe it is not a very good idea to go so public before you have secured the deal.
Good Luck
Well I only know of the location and it's not Bangalore, and if she's gonna go to some one else hand she will go.

My question was to will it be possible to bring her to orignality with the current scaricity of parts (just one or two missing parts is ok).

And Once I lost a 1965 LHD Beetle with Sunroof (40 k asking) cause of my foolishness, silly me :O{.
Old 18th June 2009, 14:03   #1434
BHPian

vauxhall velox 1949 all original for sale 6 cyclinder.

Hi every one i got all original vauxhall velox 6 cyclinder for sale which has only covered 70,000kms since new each and every part,switches,lights,door handels are original and the best thing is car is totally clean in black colour with original manual ,rc book and keys. email me at gp150and200@msn.com will mail u pics.
Old 18th June 2009, 14:58   #1435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW the engine is also not original (as one cannot see the External Oil Filter and its piping).
The car does not look too bad to me at all. The most valuable part of the car are the headlights and rims. Great grille and bumpers. The remaining cosmetics (most of them) can be sourced over time. Engine may be original with oil filter removed, many people do it, popular with taxiwallas.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:16   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car does not look too bad to me at all. The most valuable part of the car are the headlights and rims. Great grille and bumpers. The remaining cosmetics (most of them) can be sourced over time. Engine may be original with oil filter removed, many people do it, popular with taxiwallas.

Me too think should go for it or may be if luck would have it I may close a deal for VW Beetle (the owner is not in town and believed for not selling the car). Yet to get the Pictures.

Will it be an oval???? or sunroof???? or LHD??????
Old 18th June 2009, 15:37   #1437
BHPian

Mercedes Ponton

Hi guys,
Any idea what the asking price for a 1961 mercedes 180 Ponton should be. She's is in running condition and fairly good shape. I've always had a thing for this model and just came across one that might be for sale.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:51   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Hi guys,
Any idea what the asking price for a 1961 mercedes 180 Ponton should be. She's is in running condition and fairly good shape. I've always had a thing for this model and just came across one that might be for sale.
I have heard of cars going for as high as 10lacs, ofcourse they were restored cars. But well if people were willing to pay 75K for a centre light a couple of replies behind in this same thread then I am not sure what a ponton in good nick should be worth. Again let me warn you. She can be a very expensive car to restore as most parts for this type of mercedes have been exausted from the local market. And almost everything will have to be imported so be prepared to spend!! If you post pics I should be able to help you.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:55   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Me too think should go for it or may be if luck would have it I may close a deal for VW Beetle (the owner is not in town and believed for not selling the car). Yet to get the Pictures.

Always wanted a Beetle, but never had the oppertunity to buy one. Circumstances never allowed it. Do post some photos when you get them. Hopefully its something you want and then finally get.
Old 18th June 2009, 22:54   #1440
BANNED

Quote:

Buddy,

There are lot of Beetles available in Bangy

Completely original stock car is not what you can find here, but few running cars are available, which requires a little bit of this and that to make them better Beetles.

Best of luck on your search, do let us know ( I am just a pm away whenever you want help, especially when it comes to VW's )

Most Viewed