Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 09:50   #16
BHPian

I have fond memories of Standard Motor. As a child I remember when my father surprised all of us when he bought Standard Gazel (1976). It was one of the rare car on those days with floor Gear. He really used to love this car. He said it is much better than Premier/Fiat available in those days. As a child I used to also think it is better than Padmini because its rear window glass can be completely rolled down unlike Padmini. (I dont think I cared about any other feature). Sadly he had to sell this car 2-3 years later.
Old 19th August 2007, 13:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Std. 2000's case was entirely different. It died a natural death since the car was too underpowered. As rightly pointed out by Steeroid, it borrowed its engine from the Vanguard. It was a 2000 CC petrol no doubt, but massively underpowered.

Mind you, Std. 2000 had to compete with the 88 BHP Isuzu engined Contessa!

Well,i think this Std 2000 was sold at a price tag of 2lac at that time and it hd a lot of small technical faults even the build of the car was not as good as Rover SD1(the real car).the metal was not of the same quality as that of the SD1
actually even the 118NE had inferior quality metal used for it,and had a lot of maintainence problems.
Old 19th August 2007, 14:46   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At the height of the license-permit raj in late 1960s, Standard Motors was forced by the Govt. of India to stop production of the Vanguard because the car competed directly with the Ambassador produced by Birla's Hindustan Motors. Standard was asked by the Govt. to concentrate its resources on producing small cars only and so the Herald production continued. Birlas enjoyed great clout in Govt.
Wow, I didnt know this! Talk about dirty politics!
And even the 10/Herald was not allowed to grow beyond Southern India if you'd noticed.....this can be figured out from the fact that there were hardly any Standards ever seen outside the South & looking at some period brochures there were very few dealerships for Standard outside the South (barring the metros!)
Old 19th August 2007, 14:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I have fond memories of Standard Motor. As a child I remember when my father surprised all of us when he bought Standard Gazel (1976). It was one of the rare car on those days with floor Gear. He really used to love this car. He said it is much better than Premier/Fiat available in those days. As a child I used to also think it is better than Padmini because its rear window glass can be completely rolled down unlike Padmini. (I dont think I cared about any other feature). Sadly he had to sell this car 2-3 years later.
Hey nice to hear about another Gazel in someone's family. We still have my dad's old 1974 Gazel lying around at home.
What colour was your car btw? And any pics.?
Old 19th August 2007, 19:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

hi stanher. nice to know you have a gazel too. hows the cars comming along. work is completed or still going on.
Old 20th August 2007, 19:42   #21
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
I am daily checking website, can u please put pics of Vintage car rally held at Lumbini park on 15 Aug. 2007 at Hyd. Also if possible give me contact email address.

Regards,
VP5
Old 20th August 2007, 23:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
hi stanher. nice to know you have a gazel too. hows the cars comming along. work is completed or still going on.
Hi speedy, well the select is still in the paintshop! He says it'll be done by tomorrow....
Yet to start work on the herald- still in the process of collecting the necessary spares for it before I put the spanners on it!
Delight's also yet to be restarted.......still at the denter's!
Gazel's as I said, lying idle although did start up the engine a couple of weeks ago.
Old 20th August 2007, 23:51   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Dear Stanher,
I am daily checking website, can u please put pics of Vintage car rally held at Lumbini park on 15 Aug. 2007 at Hyd.
I've been trying everyday since, but imageshack doesnt seem keen on allowing me to at present!
I guess I need to take time to sit & try uploading again and again....that too one by one image!
Were you present at the rally btw?
Old 21st August 2007, 00:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi speedy, well the select is still in the paintshop! He says it'll be done by tomorrow....
Yet to start work on the herald- still in the process of collecting the necessary spares for it before I put the spanners on it!
Delight's also yet to be restarted.......still at the denter's!
Gazel's as I said, lying idle although did start up the engine a couple of weeks ago.
hi stanher, i thought you would have had the herald done first. no worries it is better to have all the parts in hand then start work. so nothing slows down except for the weather. man some nice cars you have. would want to see pics of them when imageshack permits you.
Old 21st August 2007, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am sure there was no isuzu engine inside the conty during 198X's.
Isuzu engine was indeed available on the Conty in the 1980s.
Here' a linky to remove your doubts:

Hindustan Motors Milestones

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 21st August 2007 at 15:20.
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

contessa did use the isuzu engines from late 1980's to the last. i had a contessa in 1991 and that had an isuzu engine.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isuzu engine was indeed available on the Conty in the 1980s.
Here' a linky to remove your doubts:

Hindustan Motors Milestones

Cheers!
Thanks for the linky.
Quote:
1987 - Hindustan Motors Limited commenced production of petrol engines and transmissions at Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh, in collaboration with Isuzu Motor Company, Japan.
Started production in 1987, the standard 2000 ceased in 1987.

BTW, here is one glaring mistake from that linky
Quote:
1985 - Hindustan Motors Limited commenced a Power Products Division at Hosur, Karnataka for manufacture of heavy duty transmission required for Earth moving Equipments.
Hosur is in TN.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 23rd August 2007 at 19:15.
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Saw this car parked outside Neemrana fort....since i dont know jack about classics thought ill post it here and atleast then ill know which car is this ...hope its worth posting here ?

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 23rd August 2007 at 20:30.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:34   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Saw this car parked outside Neemrana fort....since i dont know jack about classics thought ill post it here and atleast then ill know which car is this ...hope its worth posting here ?
Thats a 1938 Opel Kadet deluxe sedan. Seems nice. Any more pics?

Old 24th August 2007, 01:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a 1938 Opel Kadet deluxe sedan. Seems nice. Any more pics?
Atleast i know the name now
Some more pics...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks