Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2007, 07:12   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Nice collection you have there Stanher!
I too have some Standard CV brochures from the 1980s era.
Will post them when I learn how to!
Karl, are you planning a seperate thread for leaflets and brochures of vintage cars as you mentioned in another thread? I got a nice one on Vanguard.
Old 4th November 2007, 21:09   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Attention: Mr. Behram Dhabar, I'll need you to contact me asap after you see this. I've already sent word through Cyrus today.

Here's a rather tired, sorry looking Pennant I spotted at the local scrapyard when I'd gone there with my mech. to get some spares for my fiat......quite a treat (in a manner of speaking!) to find such a car after a long time!

Of course although it obviously needs a thorough restoration (especially the doors) & has some bits missing, I wouldnt say its impossible.....

He said he didnt get the papers with the car but would contact the owner again & let us know by tomorrow.....I hope he's able to get them!

Note: I'm not ableto post any more pics. for the time being due to my net going out!
So please be patient!

Last edited by Stanher : 4th November 2007 at 21:13.
Old 4th November 2007, 21:22   #138
Senior - BHPian

hey nice find stanher, wow thats one hard to come by car, and now it makes its way to the scrapper. Mr Behram is looking for one and i hope he takes it and saves this car. the side patti's of the car are missing and it has a fair amount of restoration work from what i can make out. the car deffinately is not immpossible but difficult as the parts would be hard to come by. this car would interest Karl too.
Old 4th November 2007, 21:37   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
this car would interest Karl too.
That goes without saying!
Although this is nothing to make him greedy enough considering his pennant is in far better shape than this!

However, more than the parts I hope he can find the papers! Those are equally hard to come by for these cars!
Old 4th November 2007, 22:00   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
That goes without saying!
Although this is nothing to make him greedy enough considering his pennant is in far better shape than this!

However, more than the parts I hope he can find the papers! Those are equally hard to come by for these cars!
it sure would come handy to karl even if he does own one in better condition.
yes papers would pose a problem but you can get the papers claiming they are lost, or you can get the car registered again. i think that is possible
Old 4th November 2007, 22:16   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Get it registered again.....hmm........but even for that you'll need evidence to prove its not a stolen car or anything....right?
I hope the ownert in that case atleast has xerox copies of the documents!

Here is finally another pic. of the car....more later as I can upload them! Off to dinner for now!

Old 4th November 2007, 22:28   #142

hi stanher..
thanks for calling me..
we are considering coming to hyderabads for this..

cheers..
Old 4th November 2007, 22:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Get it registered again.....hmm........but even for that you'll need evidence to prove its not a stolen car or anything....right?
I hope the ownert in that case atleast has xerox copies of the documents!
yes a xerox copy or even a letter from the owner stateing that he has sold the car and not scrapped it. yeah i hope the owner has some paper with him it would make life simpler.
Old 4th November 2007, 23:16   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
hi stanher..
thanks for calling me..
we are considering coming to hyderabads for this..

cheers..
You serious Cyrus??!

Thats great then!!

But how soon can you consider making it?? Because I'm not sure how long he will hold onto the car......maybe just 2-3 days but if anything pukka do letme know asap so we could somehow persuade him to hold onto it longer....only I hope that doesnt provoke him to raise the price!

Anyways, your welcome, least I could do for a serious enthusiast like your Dad!

Here's another snap, this time of the interior:

Old 4th November 2007, 23:58   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

And a couple more...the upholstery surprisingly seems in quite good shape (infact even better than the original one on my 1100 delight was!) for such a deteriorated car!

Last edited by Stanher : 5th November 2007 at 00:15.
Old 5th November 2007, 00:40   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally able to upload the last one! This is the best shot I could get as there wasnt much space on the left! Note fiat side-pattis & front rim!! I never knew it'd fit a Standard!

Old 5th November 2007, 00:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

stanher the interiors of the car are very good even the door panels seem untouched unlike its exterior. the dash aslo looks fine with the meters intact. the small temp gauge looks new. the car seems to have rust and if nothing is done about it would increase. i am sure if the guy is told that someone is comming to see it would hold on for a day or two more. yes there is a possibility of him increaseing the price though.
Old 5th November 2007, 09:03   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
stanher the interiors of the car are very good even the door panels seem untouched unlike its exterior. the dash aslo looks fine with the meters intact. the small temp gauge looks new.
Uh, speedy, you mean the Ampere guage in the right of the speedo? I've seen quite a few pennants with those extra guages fitted into the dash....no point in removing it either as you cant close that hole made in the dash!
I wonder why people go through the trouble of cutting holes into the dash (even in case of fiats) to fit these guages when it'd be much easier to fit them into a separate bracket under the dash!
Pity bout the condition of steering wheel though, its supposed to have looked very very attractive originally....like this:

Also I guess the original rear view mirror should've been mounted on the dash, qabove the ashtray as in the pic.
Old 5th November 2007, 11:44   #149
BHPian

Standard Pennant

Nice one Stanher.
The car appears alright from the photos.
The front headlights,rim, front bumper, three wheel rims except left front, sun shade, door handles, seats,steering wheel,foot dipper switch, meters, internal door levers, pedals, gear lever, ash tray, rear badge, appears original.
The rear bumper is not original, front grill is doubtful as regular grill has three horizontal cross pieces only,rear view mirror would be in front of the ash tray.
parking lights, indicator stack switch, fuel cap are missing.sometimes the scrapwalla may have it amongst the odds.
No photos below the bonnet but the engine is very very reliable.
Photos of rear shock absorbers (arm type), if posted would be great.

Here is a dash board photo of the madurai pennant for comparison.

Old 5th November 2007, 12:02   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Nice one Stanher.
The car appears alright from the photos.
The front headlights,rim, front bumper, three wheel rims except left front, sun shade, door handles, seats,steering wheel,foot dipper switch, meters, internal door levers, pedals, gear lever, ash tray, rear badge, appears original.
The rear bumper is not original, front grill is doubtful as regular grill has three horizontal cross pieces only,rear view mirror would be in front of the ash tray.
The internal door handles and winders are adapted from a Morris Minor or early Amby, with a screw fitting. The Standard should have a fitting with a small clip just like the Heralds. The gear lever is from a Herald or late model Companion. The front grille is a curio, though I have seen another identical one fitted on a Companion in India as well as the UK, so IM not sure whether it is an original fitment.

Most Viewed