Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 14:48   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

A Standard Vanguard Estate tail end, caught in a frame. One can tell that this was not the subject of the photo.
Now was that not a rare car? Anyone knows of survivors?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-vanguard-tailend.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 15:06   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A Standard Vanguard Estate tail end, caught in a frame. One can tell that this was not the subject of the photo.

Cheers harit
The photo location seems to be Kerala.There was a 1952 Vanguard estate in Trivandrum some years back
Old 26th June 2013, 15:45   #1518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The photo location seems to be Kerala.There was a 1952 Vanguard estate in Trivandrum some years back
There are quite a few early 50s Vanguard estates around in India. This however, happens to be a late 50s model, I suspect an imported one known as Vanguard Vignale a Michelotti restyled 6 cyl. car.

I remember seeing a phase 3 vanguard estate (destroyed!) in an 80s Tamil movie once though!
Old 27th June 2013, 11:39   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The photo location seems to be Kerala....
Hi, no, this was in Mumbai, at Churchgate.
This is a Herald, family car with kid?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald-mr.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 23:41   #1520
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice mk1 Standard Herald,freshly done up in Delhi. Sent to me by someone on Facebook.

Standard cars in India-blueher.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 00:26   #1521
BHPian

I spent a lot of my childhood in the small colony of Jaduguda (Uranium Mines) in Jharkhand. While there, we had a sky blue color Standard 10. When we left the place, my father had sold it to the local butcher for a measly 10k. I would now like to buy her back and restore her to prime shape as I have a lot of memories attached to it. It belonged to my grandfather originally.

Is there a chance anybody can help me with the current whereabouts of this car if possible??
Old 30th June 2013, 09:34   #1522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I spent a lot of my childhood in the small colony of Jaduguda (Uranium Mines) in Jharkhand. While there, we had a sky blue color Standard 10. When we left the place, my father had sold it to the local butcher for a measly 10k. I would now like to buy her back and restore her to prime shape as I have a lot of memories attached to it. It belonged to my grandfather originally.

Is there a chance anybody can help me with the current whereabouts of this car if possible??
Not this one by any chance is it?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...07585797_o.jpg

Of course, unless you remember th number, you could never tell. This happens to be in Goa and was recently picked up by someone there, most likely to restore.
Old 30th June 2013, 12:12   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Not this one by any chance is it?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...07585797_o.jpg

Of course, unless you remember th number, you could never tell. This happens to be in Goa and was recently picked up by someone there, most likely to restore.
No it's not. I was mistaken about the color. It was a much darker shade of blue, not exactly sky blue.

Old 30th June 2013, 12:27   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
No it's not. I was mistaken about the color. It was a much darker shade of blue, not exactly sky blue.

Well sorry but don't really know of one in that colour at the moment! Highly likely that the colour would've even been changed several times over the years for that matter.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 18:01   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well sorry but don't really know of one in that colour at the moment! Highly likely that the colour would've even been changed several times over the years for that matter.
Yes and that is the sad part of it. I have no idea how to even begin tracing it. :(

Maybe I will personally visit the small town again when I can spare a couple of weeks off and relive the places of my childhood, as well as look around for the car again. How to purchase it and take it back with me, however, is completely another matter altogether.
Old 6th July 2013, 17:18   #1526
BHPian

Hi Guys
This is a request for all standard car gurus especially stanher. I am not able to pm anybody so I request anyone who could help to SMS their contact number to my mobile,number being9363123964. I have just acquired a 1963 companion and it needs a lot of acessories.The list is as follows
Front indicator lenses
Rear indicator and brake light lenses
Gear lever knob
Indicator stalk
Inside door and window handles
Fuel tank cap
Rear badging
Light assembly that comes above the rear no plate
If any one would could guide me to the right place I would really appreciate it and also if someone has the above spares please SMS me your no to me so that I could call back. This is a special request to stanher.
With Regards
Venkat Kumar
Old 6th July 2013, 18:30   #1527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
I have just acquired a 1963 companion and it needs a lot of acessories.The list is as follows
Front indicator lenses
Rear indicator and brake light lenses
Gear lever knob
Indicator stalk
Inside door and window handles
Fuel tank cap
Rear badging
Light assembly that comes above the rear no plate
Hi Venkat,
Congrats on your acquisition! Most of the above parts can now be had only on websites like ebay UK. No use in looking around here!
There is a nice original indicator lever assembly for sale on ebay UK right now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-STANDA...item257acc71f1

The price too is reasonable compared to that of a similar one that a friend of mine bought on ebay UK recently (yes they can go higher than this!)

Rear badging- which one do you want? The 'Standard' badge or 'Companion' one? I might have one of the latter to spare.
Old 6th July 2013, 19:45   #1528
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
Thanks for such a prompt response.Infact this is the second car I am restoring,the first one being an 1966 ambassador whose pictures you could view on page 42 of the landmaster and ambassador picture gallery.i request you to have a look at it.I would like to restore the companion to similar standards and would require all the help and guidance from you.
I would take your advice and keep searching on eBay,in case you do come across any other parts please keep me informed.
With regards
Venkat Kumar
Old 7th July 2013, 20:55   #1529
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I need a clarification for my 1963 standard companion,especially from the standard gurus especially stanher and karlosdeville. There are provisions for 5 switches in the dashboard,I would like to know as to what the 5 provisions are for. I would really appreciate any help in this regard.
Venkat Kumar
Old 9th July 2013, 21:56   #1530
BHPian

Hi Stanher
I have bought the indicator stalk assembly from ebay. I need the rear brake and indicator lenses .I really would appreciate if you could inform me the availability of the same either on ebay or otherwise.I am not able to pm you,that is why this request here. I also request karlosdeville to help me with inputs in restoring this car.
With regards
Venkat Kumar

Most Viewed