Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 14:39   #1531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
I need a clarification for my 1963 standard companion,especially from the standard gurus especially stanher and karlosdeville. There are provisions for 5 switches in the dashboard,I would like to know as to what the 5 provisions are for. I would really appreciate any help in this regard.
From memory, assuming your switches are all original like these (this was a Pennant I had, but same switches as on the Companion), there is one for CHOKE, one for Lights (L), one for PANEL (I guess Dash/speedo lights) and one for Wipers.

Quote:
I have bought the indicator stalk assembly from ebay. I need the rear brake and indicator lenses .I really would appreciate if you could inform me the availability of the same either on ebay or otherwise.I am not able to pm you,that is why this request here. I also request karlosdeville to help me with inputs in restoring this car.
Wow, congrats!! That was one quick step indeed!

Indicator lenses, here are a pair of front ones and 1 pair of rear/brake lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRIUMP...item5d35769514

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-STANDA...item2577f95856

Couldnt find the rear indicator (orange) pair yet. But they do turn up on ebay now and then.

Also a couple of other parts you could need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-1...item483a36e0cb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-8...item2c6e18adbe

Note: While having them posted, ask the sellers to decribe them as "small car show parts" on the Customs label while posting. Also to include an invoice inside the parcels.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0998.jpg  

Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 20:43   #1532
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
Thanks so much for the inputs.I have already bought the front indicator lights and I shall also buy the other spares mentioned by you.
Actually there are provisions for 6 switches in the dashboard,one each for the ignition,choke,wiper,parking light,lights,could you please let me know what is the 6th one for.I was making enquiries and I came to understand that it could be for a starter pull knob.Did the companions ever come with this arrangement and if not what could the sixth provision be for.
I really do appreciate the fact you take time off to help me.I wish there were many more people like you.
With regards
Venkat Kumar
venkat kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 00:14   #1533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually there are provisions for 6 switches in the dashboard,one each for the ignition,choke,wiper,parking light,lights,could you please let me know what is the 6th one for.I was making enquiries and I came to understand that it could be for a starter pull knob.Did the companions ever come with this arrangement and if not what could the sixth provision be for.
Glad to be able to help!

Now that you mention it yes, I recollect the 10/Pennant/Companion did come with a starter switch mounted on dash. My Pennant never seemed to have one any longer when I had it though so I dont know how exactly it worked. Karl might be able to tell.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:46   #1534
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
I was speaking to an old mechanic and he is very sure that the standard companions that were produced in India did not have a pull starter ,he says that the provision for the 6th switch could be a provision for an extra accessory and that some of the cars manufactured in the UK came with a cigarette lighter.
I am not able to pm Karl ,so if it is not asking for too much I would be very thankful if you could pm him and find out as I am not sure if he is following this thread
With Regards
Venkat Kumar
Old 12th July 2013, 17:56   #1535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Stanher,
I was speaking to an old mechanic and he is very sure that the standard companions that were produced in India did not have a pull starter ,he says that the provision for the 6th switch could be a provision for an extra accessory and that some of the cars manufactured in the UK came with a cigarette lighter.
I am not able to pm Karl ,so if it is not asking for too much I would be very thankful if you could pm him and find out as I am not sure if he is following this thread
With Regards
Venkat Kumar
Venkatji, sorry for dropping by late on this thread. I remember your blue Ambassador well, it is an inspiration to us all, and reference point for any restoration. Please do share some more details on that car as well.

But since we are talking about Companions, back to topic. I suggest you start a new thread on the restoration, we will all learn from your experiences.

Regarding the dash switches, from memory I can tell you my 1960 Pennant has switches for choke, panel light, park and head light (2 level twist) and wiper. These are all original, black pull type knobs. One more was apparently a dummy, where a 2 way toggle switch was installed for a dual horn somewhere along the way. I do not remember the order clearly, I shall check and revert to you. I have a photocopy of the Indian owners manual somewhere, I will try and dig it out for reference but it may take some time.

The starter operation is on the key, though when I got the car the switch had been changed.

My 1957 Super 10 has the cable operated starter. Other switches are changed, so not a good point of reference.
My 1962 Companion I still haven't seen personally, but didnt have all original switches anyway, so not a good point of reference.

Edit - the Pennant switches have intricate lettering on each knob 'PANEL', 'WIPER', 'CHOKE' etc. They are common with many English cars, best bet would be looking for Morris Minor or Mini knobs, I think they should be the same.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 12th July 2013 at 18:00.
Old 13th July 2013, 07:12   #1536
BHPian

Dear Karl,
First let me thank you for the clarifications regarding the dash switches.This car has the switches in the same order as you have mentioned,but a couple of the switches are damaged and they need to be replaced. Infact the car is missing a lot of the body trim,the only reason I bought the car was the documents were clear.
I thought it would be prudent to source all the spares before starting the tin work.Stanher was kind enough to inform me of the avaliablity of the indicator stalk on ebay ,which I bought. Right now I am on the look out for the other parts like the front and rear indicator,brake lenses,knobs,etc,the list is endless.In case you do come across any spares for the companion please let me know.I would be needing a lot of inputs from you and Stanher in restoring this car.
Regarding the Ambassador I would be too glad to help you in any way I can. I do not have pictures of the Ambassador during the different stages of restoration but I will bear in mind to do start a separate thread when I start the actual restoration of this car.
Thanks once again
Venkat Kumar
Old 13th July 2013, 12:31   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought it would be prudent to source all the spares before starting the tin work.Stanher was kind enough to inform me of the avaliablity of the indicator stalk on ebay ,which I bought. Right now I am on the look out for the other parts like the front and rear indicator,brake lenses,knobs,etc,the list is endless.In case you do come across any spares for the companion please let me know.I would be needing a lot of inputs from you and Stanher in restoring this car.
Thanks once again
Venkat Kumar
Venkat,I had sent a message via email to you regarding a source for lot of standard spares ,but have not received a reply from you.
Old 14th July 2013, 11:01   #1538
BHPian

Hi Everybody,
I have bought a standard companion and I am looking out for a donor car if available,preferably from the state of Tamil Nadu.If anyone knows the avaliability of any such vehicle kindly keep me posted.I am looking for a car from which at least a few of the interior trim and some of the mechanical parts can be salvaged.Thanks in advance.
Venkat kumar
Old 15th July 2013, 01:33   #1539
Distinguished - BHPian

Walkaround video of a '67 Standard Herald

///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 21:21   #1540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
Walkaround video of a '67 Standard Herald

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=W_auuiuBco8
Nice! This actually happens to be a '65 though, was mentioned as such even when it was put up on sale on team bhp (still seems to be on):

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...d-Herald.html/

Oh, and its not a Coupe either, but a saloon.

Last edited by Stanher : 15th July 2013 at 21:23.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:35   #1541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice! This actually happens to be a '65 though, was mentioned as such even when it was put up on sale on team bhp (still seems to be on):

ah the model year was told to me by a friend whos an inactive BHPian...

and my knowledge is pretty limited about em so sorry about the error

Last edited by ///RMan : 16th July 2013 at 09:37.
Old 16th July 2013, 14:05   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Yes the ad is still on and is most likely to be up there if the asking price is the present one
Old 20th July 2013, 18:35   #1543
Distinguished - BHPian

Standard Gazel at Ahmednagar, MH. Found in a group on Facebook.
Said to be from Nagpur.

Standard cars in India-gaznagar.jpg
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 00:58   #1544
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this Herald in a bylane of Shivaji Park.
Have no idea what model year the car is
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-imag1576-copy.jpg  

Standard cars in India-imag1577-copy.jpg  

///RMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 15:27   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
Saw this Herald in a bylane of Shivaji Park.
Have no idea what model year the car is
This is an early model,'61-62. 'was featured in this forum a few years before, maybe this thread itself, by someone else. Lost a few parts since though like the door handle and side trims!
Not a very original car though, on many aspects, namely the bonnet which ahs been modified to open like that of other cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks