Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 17:25   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Standard Gazel at Ahmednagar, MH. Found in a group on Facebook.
Said to be from Nagpur.
How come the wiper orientation is in the opposite direction?
Old 26th July 2013, 20:34   #1547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
That is the correct direction for the wipers to park for all these cars AFAIK, even the Heralds and before those the Standard 10 etc.
Old 27th July 2013, 17:55   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
This same orientation was also found on earlier FIATs.

Quote:
That is the correct direction for the wipers to park for all these cars AFAIK, even the Heralds and before those the Standard 10 etc.
Hello Shyam: I believe this is the standard position in LHD cars but Herald was never produced for that market. I still wonder why they have put a wiper assembly from a LHD car!
Old 27th July 2013, 18:00   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hello Shyam: I believe this is the standard position in LHD cars but Herald was never produced for that market. I still wonder why they have put a wiper assembly from a LHD car!
Actually the Herald was very much sold in 'LHD' markets, including the US and many European countries. However, they didnt sell as well there as their siblings viz. the TR range of Triumphs and the Spitfire etc. Note the wiper position on most of these LHD cars btw!

Last edited by Stanher : 27th July 2013 at 18:02.
Old 2nd August 2013, 01:43   #1550
BHPian

Not in India, but here is a picture of a Truimph Herald that attended the Microcar Classic at Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brooklyn, Massachusetts.

Standard cars in India-triumphherald.jpg
josejoseph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 19:30   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Standard Herald convertibles were often used in marriage processions. This procession had the chandelier bearers.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-tbhp-std.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 20:12   #1552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Standard Herald convertibles were often used in marriage processions. This procession had the chandelier bearers.
Nice to see another 'wedding Herald' pic.! Incidentally, the pic. looks like twas in Madras.
Although I'm sure this was not a convertible per se, but just a saloon with the roof unbolted off (for the benefit of those who didnt know, Heralds all came with a bolt-on roof, which could be taken off and put back on at will. (If you've noticed in my current avatar, yes that is my Herald with the roof off, although that had to be done for a reason, and will be back on soon)
Thats how many of them were used even as 'convertibles' in old Indian movies. Very cost-effective too I reckon, as opposed to slicing off the roof!
Old 9th August 2013, 13:26   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to see another 'wedding Herald' pic.! Incidentally, the pic. looks like twas in Madras..............
I don't like nut-bolt or sawn off convertibles. I prefer those with folding hood mechanisms. But Targa tops were an option.
Whether this was in Madras, I don't know. I think that the number plate starts with an "M". What do you think? That series did exist. There was a VW Van, a splittie with the same series in Mumbai.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-shyam.jpg  

Old 9th August 2013, 15:01   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like nut-bolt or sawn off convertibles. I prefer those with folding hood mechanisms. But Targa tops were an option.
Whether this was in Madras, I don't know. I think that the number plate starts with an "M". What do you think? That series did exist. There was a VW Van, a splittie with the same series in Mumbai.

Cheers harit
It looks like MPD,if I am not mistaken.
Did Madras state have such a registration series.?It was MS,MD,MT before it became TN in early seventies.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 23:06   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like nut-bolt or sawn off convertibles.
As I indicated, nut-bolt or sawn off wouldnt qualify as convertibles!

Quote:
Whether this was in Madras, I don't know. I think that the number plate starts with an "M". What do you think? That series did exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
It looks like MPD,if I am not mistaken.
Did Madras state have such a registration series.?It was MS,MD,MT before it became TN in early seventies.
There never was an 'MT' series in Madras state (later renamed TN) AFAIK. MS and MD of course were, for Madras city (now Chennai) and for the districts respectively.

MPD (if there was such a series) was obviously from MP but the locale certainly seems to be down South. If not Madras then somewhere in rural TN maybe, as there are a couple of tribal-ish women seen in the right of the pic. In which case it would've been possible to run a vehicle without changing the regn. (or even without documents maybe)
Or, its also possible it was APD, a series that did exist in Vijayawada, AP, which would've been closer to Madras and therefore possible for the car to have landed there. Or it could've even been rural AP, where local folk also dress the same way.

Last edited by Stanher : 9th August 2013 at 23:15.
Old 10th August 2013, 11:31   #1556
Distinguished - BHPian

To clear up (or add to!) the confusion, Harit can you zoom into the Fiat visible in the back?
Old 10th August 2013, 11:44   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There never was an 'MT' series in Madras state (later renamed TN) AFAIK. MS and MD of course were, for Madras city (now Chennai) and for the districts respectively. .
I Have seen and old car with MTJ registration plate and was under the impression it was Tamilnadu registration
Old 10th August 2013, 12:52   #1558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I Have seen and old car with MTJ registration plate and was under the impression it was Tamilnadu registration
MTJ is a PUNE regn. of the '70s, most likely early-mid 70s. Karl might be able to confirm exactly when.
Old 10th August 2013, 13:04   #1559
Senior - BHPian

I'm reminded of something that happened during the early 1980s. Some district in Maharashtra started a new Reg. No. series "MGR". That time, the CM of Tamil Nadu was the current CM's guru, the famous MGR. Immediately, his acolytes went to the concerned place in Maharashtra, got a car registered under the new series and presented the same to the CM. I read about it in the Illustrated Weekly of India.

Nawab Pataudi used to own two cars with regn. nos. PAT 1 and PAT 2, the former being a Ferrari. PAT series belonged to a place in Punjab that time. PAT 1 used to appear in a TV ad for some suiting company (Graviera?) which featured MAK Pataudi.

Last edited by directinjection : 10th August 2013 at 13:06.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 16:55   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
To clear up (or add to!) the confusion, Harit can you zoom into the Fiat visible in the back?
At your service, though a thankless job, but one more for your list.
Don't forget that vehicles from one state also ply in other states without changing the registration.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-thankless.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed