Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 05:38   #1576
BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There was a early 70's model passenger carrier, Kailas Travels owned by M/s Kailasapathy Oil Mills. They also had a Hillman closed body van for delivering their condiment products.
Hi Rajeev sir, do you remember the Standard 20 owned by Prabhath Public School in Tripunithura? I remember seeing it running till 2005/06 but now they have replaced it with a Mahindra or Tata bus.

When I was in school there were couple of Standard 20s in Tripunithura - we had one (scrapped in '96), Prabhath Public School had one & NSS Tripunithura School had 2 (don't know what happened to them but they were there till '95). And they all went to the same garage for repairs and some times borrowed parts .

-- Jose
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 22:02   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
When I was in school there were couple of Standard 20s in Tripunithura - we had one (scrapped in '96), Prabhath Public School had one & NSS Tripunithura School had 2 (don't know what happened to them but they were there till '95).
I will try, definitely to unearth some history of these.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 09:36   #1578
Distinguished - BHPian

This pic. was shared with me by Yogesh Pawar, a friend on facebook. Mk1 Standard Herald lying with a local mechanic in Pune. 'was told it belongs to some Gujarati charitable trust/society, who've been using it as a 'baraat' car! Said to have engine problems and no papers. Very neat body and with the cosmetics in good condition though. Must've been donated to them by a caring owner!

Standard cars in India-1264303_597113543667585_1972574410_o.jpg
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 19:41   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

BTW, was this Herald in your family/known to you personally?? I have seen a couple of pics. of it, taken around early/mid '80s by a member of the Triumph Sports Six Club (TSSC), UK, who had been on holiday in India then, and had photo'd lots of Heralds in the country! One of those was this very car- KLK 7955, in a metallic gold colour in his photos.

I'd used the same pics. of his in an article I compiled on Indian Heralds for the same club a few years ago:

Attachment 152103

If you happen to know of this car, do you know it's current whereabouts?
Hi Stanher, I was browsing through this thread and I think I have some info about this car.

I used to see this car regularly while I was in college and it was parked in a house in Tripunithura, Ernakulam dist. This was some time around 2002/03. The reg. no. strikes me very much but I don't remember the color. The house had tall walls and I could see it parked only while traveling in the bus.

I do not have the current whereabouts and have no means to check again as I'm out of the country.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 20:44   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

A mk2 Standard Herald I happened to find in a youtube clip of a 70s Kannada movie. For a moment, I thought twas a mk2 Vitesse by looking at the front end..!! But turned out it was just given the treatment of the latter's front end! The flat bootlid can confirm this as a mk Indian Herald:

Standard cars in India-mk2kan.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk2kan1.jpg
Old 13th October 2013, 16:27   #1581
BHPian

Hi guys,
after looking at all these excellent Standards, i had to share my friends standard Herald Convertible.

He has this since the time i can remember my childhood and he had kept it like a baby.

He has recently redone the entire car and added twin sports exhaust made in England and original Dunlop wire wheels made in England too.

After installing the Original sports exhaust it sounds like a dream.
I have not seen these sports exhaust on any other Herald so far.

It had gone to many vintage car shows and stole the crowds attention.
People use to surround the car like bees.

You can also find the pics in vintage shows in India thread on 15th August 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-dsc_0462.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0460.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0466.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0467.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0577.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0588.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0594.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0599.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0422.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc_0380.jpg  

zulfikar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 19:08   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar View Post
Hi guys, after looking at all these excellent Standards, i had to share my friends standard Herald Convertible. He has this since the time i can remember my childhood and he had kept it like a baby. He has recently redone the entire car and added twin sports exhaust made in England and original Dunlop wire wheels made in England too. After installing the Original sports exhaust it sounds like a dream. I have not seen these sports exhaust on any other Herald so far. It had gone to many vintage car shows and stole the crowds attention. People use to surround the car like bees. You can also find the pics in vintage shows in India thread on 15th August 2013.
My only request to tell your friend that those carpet must be thrown out and new plain back carpets will really make the interior look more correct

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 19:52   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
My only request to tell your friend that those carpet must be thrown out and new plain back carpets will really make the interior look more correct

Cheers
True,

The only thing that is not upto the mark is the carpet.
But i think in the whole car the only thing thats off in the carpet, rest everything is perfect.
it starts in just one self, great turning and great sound.
zulfikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 23:30   #1584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar View Post
Hi guys,
after looking at all these excellent Standards, i had to share my friends standard Herald Convertible.

He has this since the time i can remember my childhood and he had kept it like a baby.

He has recently redone the entire car and added twin sports exhaust made in England and original Dunlop wire wheels made in England too.
Glad to see more pics. of this car here! I'd actually been to his place and seen it the other day!

Incidentally, this car was bought from team bhpian wasif many years ago (early 90s.)

The sports exhausts do sound good, barring a couple of minor issues (leak etc.)

Even took a video of the exhaust note:

He's also started restoring the other ('62) Black Herald he recently bought:

Standard cars in India-img20131012wa0000.jpg

Standard cars in India-img20131012wa0002.jpg

Standard cars in India-img20131012wa0005.jpg

Standard cars in India-img20131012wa0009.jpg
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 15:15   #1585
Distinguished - BHPian

A '63 Standard Herald mk1 (no need to call it a convertible!) available as a tourist classic on hire (alongwith many others) with this travel company in Udaipur (RJ):

http://www.sarthitravels.com/rent-vintage-car.html

Car looks rather neat, barring those add-ons on the doors etc. 'wonder how they manage spares for all these cars to keep them reliable to run anytime though.

Standard cars in India-herudai.jpg
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 18:57   #1586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Glad to see more pics. of this car here! I'd actually been to his place and seen it the other day!

The sports exhausts do sound good, barring a couple of minor issues (leak etc.)
I realised I'd made a mistake in my above post but too late to edit there now, hence quoting. I meant to add that there were a couple of minor issues, which have been successfully rectified since.
Old 14th October 2013, 22:25   #1587
Senior - BHPian

happy Dusshera and Ayudha Puja Team Bhpians !

saw so many washed and decorated classic cars this weekend!

meanwhile, a standard herald convertible for sale

http://nashik.olx.in/1961-standered-...-iid-556059439
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 07:15   #1588
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
meanwhile, a standard herald convertible for sale
We all know that convertible Heralds were never sold in India. Most of these cars are sedans made into "Convert-ables" .

The point that I am trying to make is that, should you want to buy a converted car, please always ensure you also get the roof along with the car. This is because when you go to do the FC for your car, since the RC will state sedan, the RTO will not pass the car as a convertible. To get the FC pass, the car has to be in the sedan body style.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 20:46   #1589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
We all know that convertible Heralds were never sold in India. Most of these cars are sedans made into "Convert-ables" .

The point that I am trying to make is that, should you want to buy a converted car, please always ensure you also get the roof along with the car. This is because when you go to do the FC for your car, since the RC will state sedan, the RTO will not pass the car as a convertible. To get the FC pass, the car has to be in the sedan body style.
With due respect to the concerned dept. officials, would our present-day RTOs normally know the meaning of the terms 'sedan', 'convertible' etc.? In an old RC book dated 1970 IIRC, I remember reading the word "Tourer" stated in the line asking for vehicle body style to be stated (written), as thus:

- Type of Body (eg. Ford Tourer, Chevrolet Sedan) _____________________

I reckon the term 'Tourer' was in use much before 1970 though.

Last edited by Stanher : 15th October 2013 at 21:05.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:37   #1590
BHPian

Re: Vintage car

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
Any car thats over 30 years old is classified as Vintage. Correct me I am wrong.

BTW, The Standard herald was the car that was given only to the CMDs' of the Company for their official use. It was quite a classy car in its days. Had a wnderful Floor shift unlike the Ambys and the Fiats. I wonder if anyone can provide the actual cost of the new car in those days, the late 60s and the early 70s.

So long....
My Grand dad owned a Standard Herald Mark 2.It is coming to me in two months.
It cost him Rs.17400 in 1967.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks